Vizio XVT473SV - Not Starting Blinking Vizio Logo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and I did some searching, but could not come up with an answer. I turned my TV on this morning and it said there is a firmware update that is being applied and that the tv will restart once finish. Low and behold, the TV didn't restart, instead the Vizio logo is blinking from amber to white. It does this intermittently and then stops for a while until i attemp to turn the tv on again, and the amber to white starts again. I tried holding the power button down with the power cable unplugged for 30 seconds, but that did not work.

Has anyone had this problem, if so, how do I fix it? Also, is there a way to do a manual hard reset on the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
oh brother I hope u didn't get impatience and unplugged it while it was flashing (updating) the firmware. If u got a confirmation that it finished updating, ur good. Google/search how to "cold boot vizio."

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 26 Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I did not get impatient. I waited around 10 mins after the TV turned off, but the logo still blinked amber/white. I tried googling "cold boot vizio" but didn't get anything. Do you happen to know the steps on how to do that?
post #4 of 26 Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I would give Vizio a call. They will be able to walk you through the process.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I gave them a call, they didn't know what to do.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

bump 10char
post #7 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarigand View Post

Try calling again...ask for tech support and elevate if you have to. Just be nice.

Have you tried unplugging the TV say for a half hour or so and then letting it go through it's startup? You probably have, but I'm just asking......
post #8 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I did keep it unplugged, but no dice. They keep offering to send someone over, but the TV is out of warranty as I bought it off a person on craigs list.

I am debating on replacing the Power Supply Board as that is a typical problem with these tv's. Thoughts?
post #9 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Ask him, Are u even an employee of Vizio or are you paid just to pick up the phone?

U guys are scaring me about Vizio, after THIS thread.

THIS GUY says u can factory reset a Vizio. Try that, should be in the manual.

Replace PSU if u want but does it strike u too coincidental that it fails as it's tried to update the firmware? Try harder finding a software solution. Google "vizio cold reset boot factory firmware reboot maintenance mode..."

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #10 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Ask him, Are u even an employee of Vizio or are you paid just to pick up the phone?

U guys are scaring me about Vizio, after THIS thread.

THIS GUY says u can factory reset a Vizio. Try that, should be in the manual.

Replace PSU if u want but does it strike u too coincidental that it fails as it's tried to update the firmware? Try harder finding a software solution. Google "vizio cold reset boot factory firmware reboot maintenance mode..."

I am having no luck with finding a way to "cold boot". I can't even get the tv powered on. I would pop the fuse if there was one, but it's saudered in. And there is no "reset" button inside the TV after I opened it. So, don't know what to do, other than buy the PSU, or call a 3rd party to come and take a look
post #11 of 26 Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am having no luck with finding a way to "cold boot". I can't even get the tv powered on. I would pop the fuse if there was one, but it's saudered in. And there is no "reset" button inside the TV after I opened it. So, don't know what to do, other than buy the PSU, or call a 3rd party to come and take a look

Since you really don't know what the problem is, I would let an expert look at it before trying to fix it yourself.

Ask Vizio what it would cost for a diagnosis. Ask them if you should decide to repair the TV, if the diagnosis cost can be rolled into the entire repair cost.

Call some local repair companies and ask for diagnosis/repair prices.

Until you know what you are dealing with.....small repair......large repair......it's hard to make a decision.
post #12 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

Since you really don't know what the problem is, I would let an expert look at it before trying to fix it yourself.

Ask Vizio what it would cost for a diagnosis. Ask them if you should decide to repair the TV, if the diagnosis cost can be rolled into the entire repair cost.

Call some local repair companies and ask for diagnosis/repair prices.

Until you know what you are dealing with.....small repair......large repair......it's hard to make a decision.

I took your advice and went ahead and called HDRepair. Hopefully they will tell me whats wrong during the diagnosis.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I took your advice and went ahead and called HDRepair. Hopefully they will tell me whats wrong during the diagnosis.

Let us know what they say. Good luck!
post #14 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

oh brother I hope u didn't get impatience and unplugged it while it was flashing (updating) the firmware. If u got a confirmation that it finished updating, ur good. Google/search how to "cold boot vizio."

Ok - I have a similar problem and may have unplugged it while flashing orange/orange rather than white/orange.

My XVT553SV lost sound while watching a streaming netflix movie on Thursday (through the set app). The set remote ceased controlling the set and I pushed the power switch (jog switch) - the tv shut off to an orange logo. When I pushed the power switch the set did not come but flashed orange/orange for a while with no screen action. I unplugged the set for a few minutes, plugged it back in and got the screen to light with the vizio "V" in the center - after a few minutes with no change, the screen went dark and the orange/white logo flashed. Then the cycle repeats endlessly. I tried holding down the jog switch with it unplugged per vizio customer support. No change. I've got a service call set for Monday.

I'd welcome any thoughts. Mr. Bobb - it sounds from your message that I may have interrupted the flash. Anything I can do if that's the case?

Peter
post #15 of 26 Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. I have replaced the PCB and Mainboard. Signs of life seem to be coming back. Now the logo is just lit up White, but no picture. I am thinking of attaching my network cable to the back of the TV and seeing if that helps, or i might just change out the inverter board. Thoughts?
post #16 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 AM

I'm scheduled to have the main board and power supply board replaced on Monday. During the diagnostic call (and from my own observations) we verified that the backlight unit is still working. The tech's expectation was that only the main board would need to be replaced. If both need to be changed, cost will be $370+150 for the diagnostic call. Grrrrr.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlorraine View Post

I'm scheduled to have the main board and power supply board replaced on Monday. During the diagnostic call (and from my own observations) we verified that the backlight unit is still working. The tech's expectation was that only the main board would need to be replaced. If both need to be changed, cost will be $370+150 for the diagnostic call. Grrrrr.

which part is the backlight unit? i am getting a white vizio logo, but no picture or sound and there is only one more part on this TV that i can replace, so might just take that chance.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Mine just did the exact same thing 9/25.

I was watching a show when suddenly the picture went out but the Vizio logo stayed lit white. Remote control power button didn't work. The power button on the side of the unit didn't work. I had to unplug the power cable from the back.

After booting up, logo flashed for 5 minutes or so until it stayed on amber. It felt like an eternity. I hit the power button and the V showed and the TV started working correctly again. I hope this is not a start to something inconvenient in the future....
post #19 of 26 Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:

which part is the backlight unit? i am getting a white vizio logo, but no picture or sound and there is only one more part on this TV that i can replace, so might just take that chance.

The backlight unit is the led array that lights behind the screen - if you've got the back off you will see it light around the edges. If the main screen lights then the backlight is working. In addition to the main board and the power supply board, I also saw a video board (near the top center of the tv). Tech told me the primary failure he's seen has been the "main board" with occasionally the power board.

Peter
post #20 of 26 Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Sorry for bumping a super old thread but my Vizio is experiencing a somewhat related issue.

What sucks is that i had a 2-year warranty on my xvt47 and now in the 26th month, it decided to crap out. Hopefully someone can help me.

I was watching a show when suddenly the picture dropped out but the audio remained working. I don't believe it's the backlight inverter card since all the lights remain on in the back and the screen is still 'lit' but no picture. I tried holding the power button for a minute then booting it back on and it went thru the orange/white blinking process. When that was done, I powered it back on and the screen lit up but I didn't get the V logo and I can't see the input dropdown menu. Even when there was no video source I could always see the input menu on the screen but not now. I took the back off and see the different boards but don't know what cards do what functions. There are other boards available via Ebay (backlight inverter, t-con board, mainboard, power supply) but I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Any idea what board would go bad that would cause my picture not to show?

Thanks for any ideas.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 AM

Liked: 11
I just went through this EXACT situatlon with my 47". Did extensive online research, and was lucky enough to find an electronic repair shop, where they mostly work on flat panels. The tech guy gave the TV a thorough check and diagnosed that the main assy board was the problem. For some odd reason, there was no voltage going to the T-con and that caused the picture to not come on. Sound and menu and remote control, backlighting, all is normal. Just no picture. The main board for this TV is sometimes hard to find, i.e. usually is on backorder. I'm now going on two weeks, and the part has finally shipped. I'm hoping this will truly be resolved soon. All in all, I'm out $250 for this repair. I think the part cost's about $150, give or take depending where it's bought.

Don't know if this is something I could truly have done myself. The way I see it, I'll pay someone to give me a true assessment, instead of me trying to guess and start spending on parts needlessly.

Hope this helps!
haqattaq likes this.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM

I will never buy another Vizio product again. My Vizio logo stated flashing the first week I had the TV, however the picture would always come back on. My assumption was that it was updating firmware, this would happen at least once every couple of months. After 10 months, I couldn't power up the TV, the manual states that you can do a power reset which I did and it worked. After 15 months I tried everything to power on the TV with no success, reset, holding the power button, and clearing out the TV.

I called Vizio and they had me do much the same things I had been doing with no success. I was first told sorry but there was nothing they could do since the TV was 3 months out of warranty. They said I should have called when the logo started flashing and a hard reset so it would have been on record. They would then have covered it under warranty.....I'm sure they are only telling me this. I was first told that the flashing is not normal however, when I talked to another service rep he told me that it was. After talking to a supervisor we agreed that I would pay for labor and Vizio would provide the parts through ITI their national repair company. I was forced to sign an agreement whereby if the TV is unrepairable, I would be only refunded $50 of the $150 I had to pay. First visit which took 2-3 weeks waiting for parts, the main board. They replace the board however, the network board stopped working. I called ITI and again waiting 2-3 weeks they replace the main and network board. The following day I could not power on the TV so I called ITI. A week later they said that the TV is unrepairable and Vizio agreed. I called Vizio and they said they never talked to ITI however they said they would call ITI and get back to me. The next day Vizio agrees with ITI that the TV is unrepairable. Their explanation was that the panel was shorting out the main board which I found out is not true.

I talked to a local tech and he agreed that they wanted to cut their loses and use that as an excuse. He told me that on Vizio it's very common to get bad main boards. He had to send back 4 boards before he got a good one. He said that I probably got a good board the first time and they should have only replaced the network board. He told me that he has replaced many main boards on Vizio's, the issue is how reliable even with a new board. He recommended if I decide to fix the TV is to not to hook up to my network, this would stop from updating firmware, which he believes causes the problem. The bare bone Vizio's don't seem to have these problems only the "smart TV's".
post #23 of 26 Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Thanks for information.

Here is the back of my xvt473sv.

The main board is the one to the far right and unfortunately (according to ebay) the most expensive board to replace. Swapping it out isn't that hard but you do need to be careful since the ribbons and connectors are very delicate.
I'm half tempted to order one from Ebay, try it and keep it if it works. If not, maybe I can return the board or worse case, ebay off again.

I really liked the picture of this TV and don't want to give up on it yet.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM

I was interested in what you decided to do? After getting back with Vizio and giving them info on what I found and my feelings that nothing is unrepairable. They offered me a returned 55" 3D edge led 240 hz, for less than $400. They test to making sure that it's in perfect working order and it comes with the factory warranty. It's been 6 months, so far no problems.

I packed away my 47", trying to decide what to do. I had someone that was wanting it so I unpacked it and hooked it up. It powered up but shortly lost power and the Vizio logo flashing. Holding the power button, I was able to get power back. I went through to reset the setting to not hook up to my network. The difference is when I do not get a picture I get a message no signal and the logo remains lit. I hold the power release and it powers down and power up and that works. When I put it away I couldn't even power it on, no matter what it did. If it stays powered up for at least for 30 minutes then I don't seem to have a problem, only at first power up where it will power down even a couple of times.

I was interested if you replaced the main board and if that fixed your problem? The picture is excellent so I'm torn whether to try to fix it or just give it away. One thing I do know, I will not buy another Vizio product.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 AM

My tv is auto shutting off after its on for roughly 10 seconds...vizio logo flashes and eventually comes back on, but keeps auto shutting off. I contacted vizio support and they offered me a E472VLE-Recertified at $325.00 delivered plus applicable taxes. Although spec wise the offered tv is of lesser quality. I am wondering if its just the main board causing the issues or not? Should I spend the money on a main board and just replace it myself?
post #26 of 26 Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Wow! I am so glad I read through this whole series of postings.  Reading how a few of you guys spent so much effort replacing the components in your TVs was making me blue.  But then haqattaq posted how he just left it on for a few minutes and it returned to normal.  Later I read how turning on the TV with the Lan line unplugged helped in that one guy's situation.

For me, there was a thunderstorm tonight and after several loud flashes, a lightning bolt hit somewhere in the neighborhood and my lights, TV, computer, and stereo all flash on then off.  All was fine except my TV.  The Vizio logo was blinking orange and white.  It wouldn't respond to turning it on or off and I had already tried to turn it on using my remote and the jog button.  Soon after I read this post and thing were looking pretty gloomy, I unpluged the network line to turn it on and did what haqattaq did and let the tv stay on .  Within 5 min it stopped blinking and stayed orange.  I turned it on and it worked fine.  A few minutes later I turned it off, plugged in the Lan line and turned it back on.  It worked fine.  It must have been resetting itself somehow.

thanks !

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt473sv 47 Inch Truled Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page