Vizio Tells Owners Their Sets Are Unrepairable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just passing this on. I have a XVT553SV for one year. So far so good.
http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news...e-unrepairable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
wjbertrand, they published your letter! Expect a call from Mr. Wang soon.

Heavy Mettle, next time just LINK it alright, 'les we think ur making stuff up.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

wjbertrand, they published your letter! Expect a call from Mr. Wang soon.

Heavy Mettle, next time just LINK it alright, 'les we think ur making stuff up.

Happy now?
post #4 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Just read this online...not good for the company stock.

Gotta love a company that backs up their own product.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #5 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'm glad that article is out there because it should help consumers make better informed choices when buying a new television. Anyone I know looking to buy Vizio or a brand with a similar business model I would show them the article and if they still wanted a Vizio, I would advise them to think about an extended warranty.

Now I know there are repair centers that will work on Vizio and similar brands but Vizio at least doesn't have a repair network setup so after the warranty (regular/extended) expires the owner is on their own to find out if they have any options for repair.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I'm glad that article is out there because it should help consumers make better informed choices when buying a new television. Anyone I know looking to buy Vizio or a brand with a similar business model I would show them the article and if they still wanted a Vizio, I would advise them to think about an extended warranty.

There have been problems with Vizio televisions for years. There are many people who already found out the hard way their Vizio televisions could not be repaired..this has been going on for years now. With Panny, Sony, Samsung just to name a few, I do not understand why anyone would buy a television from this crapola tv maker. Vizio better start figuring out a way to provide product support for their sets or they may be looking at closing their doors in the near future.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #7 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Liked: 14
From the articles last paragraph...."Vizio and other lower-tier brands purchase their sets from assemblers, while name-brand companies like Samsung, Panasonic and LG have invested billions of dollars in panel and component manufacturing plants. They want to keep your business and so maintain extensive nationwide parts and service networks."

Based on a 40+ year career in electronics engineering product design/development, I fully understand and appreciate the economics of using contract manufacturers vs. your own factories. While the economics of contact manufacturing are quite favorable unfortunately, the overall quality, spare parts availability and service always suffers.

Next up?

Sony still can't make any money selling TVs is facing an eighth straight year of losses from its television operations, is preparing to overhaul the business to reduce costs and compete against Samsung Electronics Co.

Since Samsung passed Sony in terms of brand value in 2005, the Korean company has extended its lead, ranking 19th in Interbrand's latest annual survey of global brands, or 15 places above Sony.

Sales of 3D, Google TV have fallen short and failed to improve sales.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-business.html

Sony has already eliminated 30,000 jobs, sold factories and moved production to contract manufacturers in China, in an effort to revive earnings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-real-m-a.html

While exiting the TV business all together is possible, adopting the Vizio business model seems to be a reasonable rescue attempt.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Another site picked up this and is running with this story. Wonder how Vizio will respond http://consumerist.com/2011/09/vizio...effective.html
post #9 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Another site picked up this and is running with this story. Wonder how Vizio will respond http://consumerist.com/2011/09/vizio...effective.html

Gee, I wonder if I should buy the $200 dollar extended warr from them, I just got it in the mail. The set is in a office and it does have a nice picture, I typically buy Sony/Toshiba or Pioneer. I guess they want me to re-cover their costs!
post #10 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM

It's disappointing that Vizio considers a failure of the LED lights to be non-repairable outside of the warranty period, but probably not surprising in this day and age. Fortunately the 551 I bought 18 months ago came with an extra year warranty by Costco, and a third year warranty via American Express. At the end of three years a unrepairable failure probably won't deter me from buying an inexpensive Vizio again.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Like to take this in a different direction. Whatever you think of Vizio as a product, this is a good example on how one person can shine a light on a problem and start a chain reaction.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #12 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Like to take this in a different direction. Whatever you think of Vizio as a product, this is a good example on how one person can shine a light on a problem and start a chain reaction.

Yep, kinda like Rosa Parks or Mohandas Ghandi.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Agreed. Especially considering all of the crap the OP took when he posted his letter here. I'm glad somebody outside of this thread took notice.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Yep, kinda like Rosa Parks or Mohandas Ghandi.

I'd say the op was treated more like Rodney King - taking a beating for even suggesting that the manufacturer do something for an expensive set just out of warranty.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

And it's a problem by no means restricted to Vizio, nor to parts as expensive as panels and backlights. I've seen lots of sets "doorstopped" because a circuit board or processing chip was no longer available.

Steve S.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

And it's a problem by no means restricted to Vizio, nor to parts as expensive as panels and backlights. I've seen lots of sets "doorstopped" because a circuit board or processing chip was no longer available.

True.

I have a Magnavox Blu ray player that I bought on sale at Walmart. Made by Funai, which makes many of the junk brands you find in discount stores.

It developed problems after about 1 1/2 years of operation. I always put my receipts for components in an envelope and tape them to the bottom of the component, in case I need it for warranty work. I pulled out the receipt just to see what I had paid for the unit and noticed that I had also purchased a 2 year warranty from Walmart.

Contacted the warranty provider and sent the unit in. It was the laser mechanism, which was replaced within a week and returned to me. Has worked fine since.

If junk level products, purchased at discount outlets, in the $100 price range can have parts available for them, it is not unreasonable for a TV costing a couple of thousand dollars to have parts available.

Vizio has developed a great model of selling cheap sets made with other manufacturer's components and assembled by a vendor. This works well for throw away products, when the consumer is comparing their line to names they never heard of at the local discount store.

Vizio has moved upscale with both their pricing and their feature set. Their recent 65" 3D model initially sold for around $3 grand. At this price point, people view their purchse as an investment rather than a throw away item.

Vizio should spend a few of their profit dollars establishing a service/parts network for their products. Unfortunately, this might make them less price competitive in the marketplace, as they will have to not only produce the sets, but support them on after the warranty expires.

An alternative would be to develop some flexibility on the warranty coverage. Offering a customer a "discount" on a new set that exceeds the retail price of the set locally, is more of a slap in the face of the customer than a service.

Hopefully the management a Vizio will be as good at figuring out how to solve this issue as they have been at being customer focused during the warranty period. Replacing problem sets during warranty makes them seem like a class orgainzation. Stiffing you the day after the warranty expires, leaves a different taste in the mouth. One that will likely not result in another Vizio purchase.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Now I know there are repair centers that will work on Vizio and similar brands but Vizio at least doesn't have a repair network setup so after the warranty (regular/extended) expires the owner is on their own to find out if they have any options for repair.

vizio uses the onforce system to find some drugged out 18 year old that will drive his boom car 50 miles with a replacement board and pay him about $25 total to replace it. no background checks, no drug tests, no liability insurance.

they could rape your daughter, tweak out and set your house on fire.. so how's that for a repair network setup ?

soon as your set gets out of warranty most likely there will be no replacement part due to all of the 20,000 or so units made during that run all failed and used up the couple of hundred replacement boards that were available. the general life span of any model is about 2 years.

there are also rumors that the firmware is written to create issues after a timeframe. its all about making the public buy another new one.. no supporting
post #18 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Who buys a bargain-basement TV and expects it to be worth repairing after the warranty expires?

You buy the TV, buy a couple years of extended warranty, and toss it when it breaks afterward. You don't buy a $1000 TV and expect to be paying a repairman hundreds of dollars for parts and labor to replace circuit boards or panels 2 years later when you could get a newer, better TV for almost the same price.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Who buys a bargain-basement TV and expects it to be worth repairing after the warranty expires?

You buy the TV, buy a couple years of extended warranty, and toss it when it breaks afterward. You don't buy a $1000 TV and expect to be paying a repairman hundreds of dollars for parts and labor to replace circuit boards or panels 2 years later when you could get a newer, better TV for almost the same price.

Vizio really isn't bargain basement anymore and what store that sells them is really telling average consumers to be wary anyways?
post #20 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

extended warranties come with some nasty surprises when the panel is defective or the boards are no longer available which is typical after that 2 year mark. they pro-rate your warranty for a cash buyout or the offer of a refurbished set and you even have to kick some cash in. have to read the fine prints. its an insurance company.. they are not in it to lose money
post #21 of 27 Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

True.

I have a Magnavox Blu ray player that I bought on sale at Walmart. Made by Funai, which makes many of the junk brands you find in discount stores.

It developed problems after about 1 1/2 years of operation. I always put my receipts for components in an envelope and tape them to the bottom of the component, in case I need it for warranty work. I pulled out the receipt just to see what I had paid for the unit and noticed that I had also purchased a 2 year warranty from Walmart.

Contacted the warranty provider and sent the unit in. It was the laser mechanism, which was replaced within a week and returned to me. Has worked fine since.

If junk level products, purchased at discount outlets, in the $100 price range can have parts available for them, it is not unreasonable for a TV costing a couple of thousand dollars to have parts available.

Vizio has developed a great model of selling cheap sets made with other manufacturer's components and assembled by a vendor. This works well for throw away products, when the consumer is comparing their line to names they never heard of at the local discount store.

Vizio has moved upscale with both their pricing and their feature set. Their recent 65" 3D model initially sold for around $3 grand. At this price point, people view their purchse as an investment rather than a throw away item.

Vizio should spend a few of their profit dollars establishing a service/parts network for their products. Unfortunately, this might make them less price competitive in the marketplace, as they will have to not only produce the sets, but support them on after the warranty expires.

An alternative would be to develop some flexibility on the warranty coverage. Offering a customer a "discount" on a new set that exceeds the retail price of the set locally, is more of a slap in the face of the customer than a service.

Hopefully the management a Vizio will be as good at figuring out how to solve this issue as they have been at being customer focused during the warranty period. Replacing problem sets during warranty makes them seem like a class orgainzation. Stiffing you the day after the warranty expires, leaves a different taste in the mouth. One that will likely not result in another Vizio purchase.

Those early Funai BD players used a Sony laser pickup and a Panasonic chipset which is probably why the part was available. Funai built tvs are notorious for parts unavailability on sets as little as 18 months old, a fact I point out to potential buyers of Magnavox and Sylvania branded sets.

The rest of your post is exactly what I'd have written myself but expressed better than I could have done.

Steve S.
post #22 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I always put my receipts for components in an envelope and tape them to the bottom of the component, in case I need it for warranty work.

I hope it isn't printed on thermal paper. eek.gif
post #23 of 27 Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loknar28 View Post

I hope it isn't printed on thermal paper. eek.gif

I usually scan them into Paperless file. Problem solved.
post #24 of 27 Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 PM

on january 19th 2010 i purchased a 32 inch vizio lcd hd tv i read about the problems vizio owners had with their tvs the capacitors and the back light unit a $100 to$200 repair bill it's not worth repairing this brand also avoid olevia hisense polaroid rca phillips magnavox haier element view sonic westing house maxent and other off brands on march 1st 2014 i purchased a sharp 42 inch led tv from best buy i read the reviews from best buy customers they give sharp a 92% rating vizio 0% and other off brands beware the off brands on may 6th i purchased an olevia 27 inch lcd tv from circuit city i returned and bought a 26 inch sanyo lcd  tv from sam's club only 1 hdmi input 2 component inputs i got rid of it in 2009  i'm pleased with my sharp 42 inch led hd tv 120 hertz refresh rate the picture is much more clearer than a 60 hertz lcd hd tv rca tvs are lemons as well as the other off brands i got my sharp 42 inch led hd tv mounted on the wall in my bedroom to mr. william wang your vizio tvs are junk they are disposable good for e cycling recycling electronics  they are bargain basement models defective tvs 

post #25 of 27 Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Liked: 25
*yawn*
post #26 of 27 Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 PM

Liked: 36
Sh*t for brains troll...
post #27 of 27 Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
He needs to buy a "Brand Name" computer too, the one he has doesn't have enough "."'s available!
wth718 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page