Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fastslappy - I know you have your doubts about this being a back lit set but the info on Sharps very own Canadian website - link in my post above - says otherwise. I agree that this could be misleading but the sets that are known to be edge lit are clearly listed as such on the same site (and the US site) and the back lit sets are all listed clearly as well. For the moment, given the information at hand, I'll respectfully agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

this was addressed a few days ago on the 844 thread
that Sharp doing marketing double speak to appear that is a Full array back lighted . it is a play on words / descriptions to confuse the buyers .
when it actually is a EDGE lit full array back light .
as the edge lighted model as called full array LED now .
As they have been taking heat on dumbing down the 80" 2013 models

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3480_40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 03:50 AM

rockaway1836 - thanks for your reply. It is helpful to know a 632 owner has seen the new set in action -even for a short time - and thinks it looks good.

We have a half dozen of the 80" 632 sets in conference rooms at work so I am very familiar with the details of the chassis, inputs and GUI. Looking at the 642 in person I note that it uses the same chassis, has the same inputs and interface - the weight on the box is even identical to the weights listed on the 632 boxes we have in storage at work.

I am planning to purchase the 642 based on my observations and the Sharp.ca official documentation in hopes that it is truly a little brother to the 632. If folks are interested I would be happy to post back to this thread with more details as I get them, otherwise I'll create a new thread and go from there.
post #3243 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
http://www.provantage.com/sharp-lc80le642u~7SHRT04C.htm

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sharp-aquos-lc-80le642u-80-1080p-led-lcd-tv-16-9-hdtv-1080p-120-hz/255031898.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FEPEWZA/readmorel-20
all listed as edge lit

I would hope you are right for your sake
but when the 2013 80" models were 1st announced they also were listed as Full Array before they hit the stores & come to find out they were not .
At that time the spec sheets were saying something different that what actually was to be selling .
Sharp has a recent history of marketing one thing & then selling another .

you can see your buying a Non X-Gen panel & lower specs on contrast ratio , So comparing it to a 2012 80" 632 in not a fair comparison at all .
The 2012 80" 632 was/is the best display that Sharp has made in Years one of the few Sharps that had all most nil issues in reliability & PQ .
make sure before you drop a $$$ wad on this TV it is what you say it is . rolleyes.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #3244 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
On the other hand, while it's not listed as an X-gen panel. It is a UV2A panel. Which is the same as the 90 inch and at least some of their pro series sets.

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/search.aspx?q=UV2A

This link which explains UV2A says all new Aquois panels are X-gen. I did not see a date however.

http://www.sharp.eu/cps/rde/xchg/eu/hs.xsl/-/html/uv2a-technology.htm
post #3245 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 37
I say get the real McCoy that way you know it's full array from my understanding all new models clubhouse or not are edge lit
post #3246 of 3283 Old 11-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all

I've been looking at the 642 as a possible replacement for my lightning damaged 632 (which has been my most favorite TV I've owned). So I'm very interested in others opinions and experiences with the 642.

Perhaps someone has experience or insights into repair of the 632 and would share that with me. A very small storm passed my way and apparently a lightning strike came into my house through the phone line. It took out the surge suppressor the phone line was on, knocked phones off the wall, proceeded to destroy my DSL modem, gigabit switch, HD Homerun, DTV network adaptor, wireless access point, Onkyo AVR and unfortunately my Sharp 632. Ironically the only thing spared was the computer server which I suspect was because it had a ground wire.

The sharp would briefly power up and shutdown with an error code 32. I found the service manuals and the code indicated Start-up confirmation communication error. I proceeded to take the unit apart and the main board had burns on the traces where the RJ-45 enters the main board. So I figure main board got fried. Now things start to get strange. The parts in the service manual don't match the parts in the 632. So I was told by a few people to just replace the board with a unit with the same firmware. So I found a used main board on EBay from an LC-70LE732 with the correct firmware FM24S. Installed it and unit booted up and I was able to flash the board with the current firmware and all looked good.

Soon I started getting code 11 (lamp error) and a few of the LED strips look dim. I got a new power supply LED Driver board but that didn't fix the LED lamp error. So that's where I'm at. The TV is watchable (My wife thinks it's ok but I can see the dark places on the screen). The service manuals leave a lot to the imagination. I need to take the LCD panel out and get to the backlight LEDs.

Has anyone taken the LCD panel out of one of these units and successfully got it back in (and how did you do it)? I'm a little nervous about the size, weight and number of wires on the LCD panel. It looks to be fragile.

Thanks
Bob
post #3247 of 3283 Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 AM

RockmanX - I went to Wally world and looked at the floor model 632 again. Upon closer inspection, It is in pretty rough shape. The panel is OK but there are numerous light scratches on the bezel and some heavy damage to the back side vertical edges. This thing has probably been used/moved and abused for years. I think it is a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

I say get the real McCoy that way you know it's full array from my understanding all new models clubhouse or not are edge lit

Fastslappy - I don't want to blow a wad of $$$ on junk and that is why I have posted on the forums looking for and getting feedback. Unfortunately the available info is contradictory when it comes to the most important details.

Does anyone recommend certain movie scenes or test disc sequences that would help bring to light display quality? Back in the day when the Vizio xvt553 was popular for low cost/high performance there were certain times where dark scenes with bright objects could easily show a halo effect that was an artifact of the local dimming process used for the full array.
post #3248 of 3283 Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post

RockmanX - I went to Wally world and looked at the floor model 632 again. Upon closer inspection, It is in pretty rough shape. The panel is OK but there are numerous light scratches on the bezel and some heavy damage to the back side vertical edges. This thing has probably been used/moved and abused for years. I think it is a pass.
Fastslappy - I don't want to blow a wad of $$$ on junk and that is why I have posted on the forums looking for and getting feedback. Unfortunately the available info is contradictory when it comes to the most important details.

Does anyone recommend certain movie scenes or test disc sequences that would help bring to light display quality? Back in the day when the Vizio xvt553 was popular for low cost/high performance there were certain times where dark scenes with bright objects could easily show a halo effect that was an artifact of the local dimming process used for the full array.

So because of the so called damage ask them to lower the price more then? There is no substitute for full array unless your talking fald or oled which is stupidly priced. The model you speak of is edge Iit again all new models are sorry but all companies are taking a step back and putting out this edge lit trash. Then charging godly amounts for them 4k or not still has all the issues ill pass on light bleeding while watching dark scenes etc etc. remember that tv at Wally World has a warranty so if sharp,can't fix it you get upgraded their you go. Also why not check other wallyworlds to,see if they have one . Good way to test edge or not is just watch movie credits and look at sides of screen their you go lol
post #3249 of 3283 Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone get a ps4 and have the 80" sharp? I'm in gamer mode and looks amazing, but was wondering if someone had any suggestions or settings to share that they recommend / use. Thanks!
post #3250 of 3283 Old 11-16-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska916jedi View Post

Anyone get a ps4 and have the 80" sharp? I'm in gamer mode and looks amazing, but was wondering if someone had any suggestions or settings to share that they recommend / use. Thanks!

Yea should have gotten a Xbox 1 lol
post #3251 of 3283 Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Yea should have gotten a Xbox 1 lol

Microsoft wishes lol Even the Wii U has better graphics
post #3252 of 3283 Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Microsoft wishes lol Even the Wii U has better graphics

Oh the glorfied GameCube haa yea right
post #3253 of 3283 Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post

rockaway1836 - thanks for your reply. It is helpful to know a 632 owner has seen the new set in action -even for a short time - and thinks it looks good.

We have a half dozen of the 80" 632 sets in conference rooms at work so I am very familiar with the details of the chassis, inputs and GUI. Looking at the 642 in person I note that it uses the same chassis, has the same inputs and interface - the weight on the box is even identical to the weights listed on the 632 boxes we have in storage at work.

I am planning to purchase the 642 based on my observations and the Sharp.ca official documentation in hopes that it is truly a little brother to the 632. If folks are interested I would be happy to post back to this thread with more details as I get them, otherwise I'll create a new thread and go from there.

I had some time to spend with the 642 today. I'm becoming more convinced that it is in fact full array. It may in fact be a better set than the 632. I wall mounted it for my friend today, so I got to spend several hours with it. I watched quite a bit of the NFL channel, with many many highlights, as well as The NBA channel. Not one time did I see any motion blurr at all. This is with it set at 120 high out of the box. I felt no need to make any adjustments in color at all. The only changes I made were turning OPC off, setting the sound up for wall mounted, and turning on Dot to Dot..

I saw zero light bleed. I did see a little bit of dirty whites, and just a hint of some clouding on white shots. I had my friend turn off the lights, and I turned off the Directv receiver. What I saw was more even backlighting than my 632, and far better than my 70-732.

T's TV.jpg 1k .jpg file
post #3254 of 3283 Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Rockaway - I made the purchase last weekend and have been enjoying the set.

I have no means to compare its PQ to a 632 but like you I have only made a few adjustments to the default settings and also switched to Movie mode. Color rendering on Batman Begins and Skyfall are impressive for not touching any of the color scale settings. I do note that skin tones are just a tad off but a few tweaks should get that straightened out.

Overall I am happy and would encourage others to consider the set given its price point and performance.
post #3255 of 3283 Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

mjweimer, Enjoy your set. From what I have seen so far it's winner.
post #3256 of 3283 Old 12-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Xbox one looks amazing with this set along with darbee love lol
post #3257 of 3283 Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Had the PS3 hooked up but way to much lag to play online. This was in game mode for the lowest latency.
If you have any of the Rock Band discs, pop that in and calibrate and it will show your ms and it is way to high. I switched the PS3 to a PC monitor and it was night and day. Kills left and right while the 80", I was dead before I saw the guy.

Single player? Probably looks and plays great.

post #3258 of 3283 Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM

No issues with lag on Xbox one on either of my 80s that's the 632u and 844u smile.gif
post #3259 of 3283 Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 PM

No issues with lag on Xbox one on either of my 80s that's the 632u and 844u smile.gif
post #3260 of 3283 Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Had the PS3 hooked up but way to much lag to play online. This was in game mode for the lowest latency.
If you have any of the Rock Band discs, pop that in and calibrate and it will show your ms and it is way to high. I switched the PS3 to a PC monitor and it was night and day. Kills left and right while the 80", I was dead before I saw the guy.
Single player? Probably looks and plays great.

Were you running on Wi-fi with the PS3? On my PS3 I found the lag was greatly reduced and the speed went from around 5Mb/Sec to 37Mb/sec using a $25.00 8 port 10/100/1000 switcher. I have my PS4 hooked up the same way and it just flies with no noticeable lag on my 80-632U (in game mode, of course!)

BTW - Still thrilled with my 632U after almost 2-1/2 yrs. This set will do me nicely until 4K come down under $5K in the same size.
Fastslappy likes this.
post #3261 of 3283 Old 12-21-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

BTW - Still thrilled with my 632U after almost 2-1/2 yrs. This set will do me nicely until 4K come down under $5K in the same size.
I am SO Happy with my 632 80" that it's gonna take a huge drop in $$ to get me to go 4K , that & 4K content will have to be at a near norm level like where 1080P is now .
to have a 4K display now & not have the content is just stupid IMO
to have the 4K content reach today's 1080 saturation levels across all formats those current today's models of 4K will be obsolete at that point

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #3262 of 3283 Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I am SO Happy with my 632 80" that it's gonna take a huge drop in $$ to get me to go 4K , that & 4K content will have to be at a near norm level like where 1080P is now .
to have a 4K display now & not have the content is just stupid IMO
to have the 4K content reach today's 1080 saturation levels across all formats those current today's models of 4K will be obsolete at that point
Good point. Even with 4K content you would also have to be significantly closer than 10 Feet to appreciate the added resolution. 5-1/2 feet would be optimum for 2160P content on a 80" screen !!! LCD screens do not like to be viewed at that close a distance - see Chad B's review page 2.
post #3263 of 3283 Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM

Liked: 12
Got a new HTC ONE for Christmas and I was playing around trying to get the DLNA to work with the TV. The TV see's my DLNA server on my wireless router. I have no content to look at because I have never used it.

When I pick a picture on the phone and hit menu, select player, The ONE never see's the TV as a player. Has anyone synced there phone with this TV to play content from the phone to the TV or is this not even possible? You are suppose to put 3 fingers on a video or picture and flick it to the TV but the phone cannot even see the TV.

post #3264 of 3283 Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM

I searched through the manual and this forum, but I want to make sure... Is there no program guide capability when watching OTA channels?
post #3265 of 3283 Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Good point. Even with 4K content you would also have to be significantly closer than 10 Feet to appreciate the added resolution. 5-1/2 feet would be optimum for 2160P content on a 80" screen !!! LCD screens do not like to be viewed at that close a distance - see Chad B's review page 2.

Exactly. Who sits 7 or 8 feet from their 80" TV? Although I have read that people see the 4k difference of a 55" at 10 feet, I'm doubtful. Plus, as slappy said, the lack of source material and not even a color standard yet are big drawbacks.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys have the "oversized" Netflix menu issue. I searched but can't find this discussed before. Yes, like so many I have the intermittent connection problem, but this is more like an incorrect font sizing. It seems to be happening to other people with totally different equipment too.
post #3266 of 3283 Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Exactly. Who sits 7 or 8 feet from their 80" TV? Although I have read that people see the 4k difference of a 55" at 10 feet, I'm doubtful. Plus, as slappy said, the lack of source material and not even a color standard yet are big drawbacks.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys have the "oversized" Netflix menu issue. I searched but can't find this discussed before. Yes, like so many I have the intermittent connection problem, but this is more like an incorrect font sizing. It seems to be happening to other people with totally different equipment too.

Nice to see the thread isn't totally dead yet. Great run of about 2-1/2 Yrs. Might be a record!!??
Nope - no Netflix issues here, and I've watched it through at least 3 different players including the TV.
BTW - people who "claim" to see the superior resolution from 10 feet away on a 55" set are deluding themselves. The picture may indeed look BETTER because of wider color gamut, better contrast, less motion smearing, etc. but NOT sharpness unless the 1080P source is not scaled properly to that resolution.
I used to play around with 720P/1080P tests on different sets and my conclusion was consistently that if you were 50% further back from the 1080P sweet spot the displays looked equally sharp. That is also the exact ratio where they SHOULD appear identically sharp! Sound and Vision's review of the Sony 4K set found similar results.
post #3267 of 3283 Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'd still take an Ultra HD set as would any of you given the choice and no extra cost! Sorry to differ but even the 55" UHD sets look amazing.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #3268 of 3283 Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 PM

It's still alive and kicking! smile.gif I can't take sides on the 4k difference since I have not yet viewed one, but I'm staying optimistic and looking forward to comparing the two side-by-side. As you say, Steve, at no extra cost....bring it on! The Vizio 2014 P-Series is already there (without 3-D).

Yeah, for some reason my Netflix menu displays so large that the topics menu most people see on the left is not there. Guess I'll just live with it.
post #3269 of 3283 Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Too bad Vizio is dropping 3D from their new Reference line. I saw several UHD sets at Best Buy where 4K source samples were used. It is pretty astonishing to struggle to see pixels. The 55" set in discussion was a Samsung. 4K is no where in my budgetary future but it will be pretty much the new standard.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #3270 of 3283 Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I'd still take an Ultra HD set as would any of you given the choice and no extra cost! Sorry to differ but even the 55" UHD sets look amazing.
The funny thing is I am actually quite enthusiastic about getting a good quality 4K set within a year or two. My criticism is only directed at people who claim to see added clarity beyond the limits of normal human vision.
When the 4K sets first came out, I went to Best Buy 3 times over a two week period to ogle and drool over the 65" Sony being fed by its dedicated hard drive server. I agree it was a glorious picture most of the time (motion blur in the 24 fps demonstrations did detract from the experience occasionally), but then again, I was doing most of the watching from about 4 feet back.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Lc60le632u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page