post #451 of 3284 Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I'm kind of in your same boat, just can't get completely excited about the PQ of this panel (I have the 70") - expectantly when watching football. I have a Panasonic plasma on the way and will let the two shoot it out in my basement to see which gives superior results. The loser goes home

Let us know how it goes!

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3284 Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtwoodfin View Post

I really tried to like this TV. I am going to take a second look at it next weekend. I do not know the technical term for the phenomenon, but certain colors looked really bad. I could see them sparkle, which was really distracting. According to the sales person, it is because the refresh rate is only 120MHz. The salesman also told me a 240 MHz was due out in the Spring and it was going to cost around $7,000.00. I assume this is the elite people are talking about in this thread?

I have a 55 inch that refreshes at 120 MHz and I do not notice the above problem. The 80 inch screen keeps calling my name though. As I said, I am going to take a second look at it.

Are any of the owners noticing the sparkling effect?

Kurt

I would go to a different store, and see how it looks. It sounds like either the TV was bad, or the source going into it was bad.

A higher refresh rate which is in Hz, BTW, not MHz, is not going to fix any issue with "sparkles". Did these sparkles look like "noise" on the picture? There are a few reports of noise or grain on the picture under certain conditions.

Michael
post #453 of 3284 Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

I have no idea, I've only seen it on the 80. I'll see it on the 60 next week tho, buddy of mine just picked one up.

The 70 and 80 are full array. The 60 is edge lit. What you may see on the 60 may not hold true on either 70 or 80.
post #454 of 3284 Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

A friend of mine who used my settings complained about lips being oddly pink in everything that he was watching. Went back to my post and found 2 typos (oops). I've updated my settings post with the above 2 changes.

So far I've seen my settings used on 3 TV's in person, and they seem to translate very well set to set.

Thanks again to Rage2 - I am using his settings, the colors are beautiful, and I remain truly happy and excited with my 80. I had to convince my husband, as he wanted to keep our Sharp 65LE, but now, he loves it as much as I do.
post #455 of 3284 Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbaueraz View Post

Thanks again to Rage2 - I am using his settings, the colors are beautiful, and I remain truly happy and excited with my 80. I had to convince my husband, as he wanted to keep our Sharp 65LE, but now, he loves it as much as I do.

Wow. You need to talk to my wife!
post #456 of 3284 Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 !!!
post #457 of 3284 Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Can you talk to mine as well ? I caught heck for my 60" Sharp
L O L
looking @ the 80" now,
if it had Local Dimming she'd be mad a wet hen .. LOL cause I'd have the 80" by now !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #458 of 3284 Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 AM

I ordered one from US Appliance. Can't wait to get her setup ;-)
post #459 of 3284 Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope they were the same price as the sale at HH Gregg

congrats
post #460 of 3284 Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I hope they were the same price as the sale at HH Gregg

congrats

While I'm happy I scored that sale price at HH Gregg (hmmm. . . starts with a number that rhymes with TREE, followed by three numbers that rhyme with PINE, PINE, PINE), is that price available even at HH Gregg today?

The good thing is that the other manufacturers simply cannot let Sharp corner the market on this size flat-panel at this price point. Expect the competition to roar back, and that's where the free-market economy benefits the deserving freaks that buy large screen televisions.

Thanks,

Nick
post #461 of 3284 Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM

XMAS "TREE - PINE - PINE - PINE", no taxes, and shipping included ;-)

'tis the holiday spirit ;-)
post #462 of 3284 Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post

That's outstanding !! Congrats !!
post #463 of 3284 Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post

In what forest in the online wilderness can one find these Eighty inch Trees of the tripple Pine?

I need one for the seasonal decoration of my parlor.
post #464 of 3284 Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot19408 View Post

In what forest in the online wilderness can one find these Eighty inch Trees of the tripple Pine?

I need one for the seasonal decoration of my parlor.

see post #458
posted wrong post # corrected now

Mike

post #465 of 3284 Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

While I'm happy I scored that sale price at HH Gregg (hmmm. . . starts with a number that rhymes with TREE, followed by three numbers that rhyme with PINE, PINE, PINE), is that price available even at HH Gregg today?

The good thing is that the other manufacturers simply cannot let Sharp corner the market on this size flat-panel at this price point. Expect the competition to roar back, and that's where the free-market economy benefits the deserving freaks that buy large screen televisions.

Thanks,

Nick

Sorry, but there won't be any Roar Back in "SIZE" as Sharp has the only production plant in Saiki capable of such size cuts and still make money. Samsung can certainly tout a 75" but then retail it for sale at $10K or higher and not many going to run to the store for $10K Panels. That $5.5 billion dollar plant is finally paying off with all these large variables and next on the plate for CES will be the Apple ITV will be flying off those assembly lines in 2012 also.

China has been trying to get Sharp to build a 10G Saiki duplicate plant there but so far has balked at that move trying to keep things at around 8G levels so as not to cut their own throats by giving away their best and most advanced tech and sizes to be produced in China.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #466 of 3284 Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Sorry, but there won't be any Roar Back in "SIZE" as Sharp has the only production plant in Saiki capable of such size cuts and still make money. Samsung can certainly tout a 75" but then retail it for sale at $10K or higher and not many going to run to the store for $10K Panels. That $5.5 billion dollar plant is finally paying off with all these large variables and next on the plate for CES will be the Apple ITV will be flying off those assembly lines in 2012 also.

China has been trying to get Sharp to build a 10G Saiki duplicate plant there but so far has balked at that move trying to keep things at around 8G levels so as not to cut their own throats by giving away their best and most advanced tech and sizes to be produced in China.

soo with that said , there will be more 80" models to come from Sharp ,even a possible Elite 80" . I'd like a local dimming model , but even this one seems great , looks like maybe Sharp is going to drop the yellow pixel . As that has not really taken off . Sharp is really advertizing this panel very heavily like they did when the Quatrons 1st came out . Should very interesting to see how this progresses in the new models not Yet in the market . With the Elite's & this 80" model Sharp now has enormous clout to dominate the large LCD display market. IMO
I have the last 60" CFFL model Sharp made that does not have the yellow pixel & it's a Great Display , the PQ is great but lacks local dimming. I'd love to get an 80" & move the 60" into another room

Mike

post #467 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
The system we had was just thrown together due to being to busy and not exactly knowing what we wanted. We did purchase a Panasonic TH-8512UK. Then Sharp had to go ahead and release the LC-80LE632U The time was yesterday to get this done. After 10 hours of install work, finally a clean set up. All Audio /Video gear was moved a different area. HDMI outlet installed on lower part of wall for easy access.

Sharp LC-80LE632U
Swan 2.3B
Onkyo PR SC5508 PrePro
Red Dragon Class D 1000 watt mono blocks ( front mains )
Emotiva XPA 3 Class A/B 200 watt X 3 ( Center, rears )

LL
LL
LL
LL
post #468 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

my neck hurts..................
post #469 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Omg. Amazing sound setup... But tv is way way way too high. Is there not a bracket system out there which lets you lower the tv down and in front of the fireplace for viewing?
post #470 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those plants on the subwoofers almost make that system disappear into the room.......,
post #471 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The system we had was just thrown together due to being to busy and not exactly knowing what we wanted. We did purchase a Panasonic TH-8512UK. Then Sharp had to go ahead and release the LC-80LE632U The time was yesterday to get this done. After 10 hours of install work, finally a clean set up. All Audio /Video gear was moved a different area. HDMI outlet installed on lower part of wall for easy access.

Sharp LC-80LE632U
Swan 2.3B
Onkyo PR SC5508 PrePro
Red Dragon Class D 1000 watt mono blocks ( front mains )
Emotiva XPA 3 Class A/B 200 watt X 3 ( Center, rears )

What I think everyone will quickly conclude is that you've got a gorgeous room, and great looking speakers and a nice big flat panel . . . but just learn now that the equipment and the room do not work together.

What kind of speakers are those (they look like Revels or Egglestons)? Of course, someone else might ask what kind of windows are the speakers completely concealing. Fireplaces are unfortunately not great for equipment placement, and while I agree that the television can't remain there, the center channel speaker is the clincher. No matter what you do to fix the audio delay between the center and the display, that gorgeous speaker lying there on the floor will not work.

Sorry to sound presumptuous, but you need to put that equipment in a different room, or put different equipment in that room. Of course, if you enjoy it, it is your money . . .

Thanks,

Nick
post #472 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My suggestion....get rid of the fireplace and get a hd fire log screen saver. Bet its a bigger hit than the real thing
post #473 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

my neck hurts..................

I agree and made the same observation. I had a 100" screen mounted at the top of my 8 foot wall and watched it from about 11.5 feet away. It was horrible.
I had to lower it about 1-1/2 feet before viewing it became a comfortable viewing experience.
post #474 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ My neck has never hurt and "some kind" of unit has been hung like that for 3 years. Then again when I sit down, I relax and my body is not at all near 90 degrees from my legs to back. So the angle is just fine. Another great thing we have as humans in the ability to move our eyes up and down without moving our head or neck. If the fireplace was not there I would personally mount it about 6"-12" lower and that's it. We have used the fireplace 1 time, so it there for show I guess. To each his own though.......

The center is just there for now, considering options including but not limited to the KEF 301C >>> Click Here Most important we swap gear all the time, we never keep material things around long. I personally have learned that material things are just not worth worrying about, they can be swapped / replaced at anytime

Nick, those are Swan / HiFi speakers......

The next project is a 20FT by 35FT projector room........
post #475 of 3284 Old 12-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I'd like a local dimming model , but even this one seems great

I didn't think this TV really needed local dimming. It looked very good as is, and local dimming creates problems of its own. I'd rather see them spend a little more engineering time on the color, and add a full 10 level CMS and 3D.

Michael
post #476 of 3284 Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ My neck has never hurt and "some kind" of unit has been hung like that for 3 years. Then again when I sit down, I relax and my body is not at all near 90 degrees from my legs to back. So the angle is just fine. Another great thing we have as humans in the ability to move our eyes up and down without moving our head or neck. If the fireplace was not there I would personally mount it about 6"-12" lower and that's it. We have used the fireplace 1 time, so it there for show I guess. To each his own though.......

Could be so, one can even bolt a panel to the ceiling in a suitable place and enjoy it with suitable content . But when viewing from normal sitting position a large display should be at eye high level. Sometimes it is said that the eye level should correspond to the horizontal middle of the picture but even this is too high for large display. The eye level should be then higher, somewhere around 0.6-2/3-3/4 horizontal picture height. This gives position where people's heads on the screen are at the viewer eye level resulting in 'eye contact' and immersive experience. Also, natural head position is slightly pointing down, not into the sky.

Same refers to computer monitors which people generally put too high and later complain about neck problems. One should look at the monitor from slightly above.
post #477 of 3284 Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Same refers to computer monitors which people generally put too high and later complain about neck problems. One should look at the monitor from slightly above.

Generally agree, but our necks are curved. Military position of chin tucked in is quite unnatural. Your head should be tipped back slightly from your shoulders to maintain your neck's curve. We do lots of things that straighten the neck's natural curve and that is most likely to cause problems. Looking slightly up is better in my view.
post #478 of 3284 Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting comments here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The physiology of the human eye is such that it is designed to be at rest when gazing towards the horizon - i.e. slightly downward tilt from the horizontal. In this position no muscular effort is required. It evolved this way from many thousands of years of human beings being hunters (as did other aspects of our vision and also some aspects of our hearing). We do indeed have "the ability to move our eyes up and down without moving our head or neck" but to hold your gaze higher than the horizontal requires your eye muscles to operate and, eventually, this causes fatigue. So the ideal position for a screen is at roughly the height of your head when seated, so that you can gaze at it without muscular involvement from your eyes.

and this is the few people who understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

True; a good ergonomic principle important for work station computer screens as well. That said, the OP stated that, like many folks, he is not seated with "proper" upright posture when he's relaxed and enjoying a film so his head and eyes are naturally angled up towards that screen.

I have a recliner for MLP. So I'd actually like my screen a bit higher than seated eye level for viewing confort. And then another bonus is that I could put the CC in a better spot (under instead of over the screen), but I'm constrained by my current cabinet.

This is the sweet spot for me, where the TV is.
post #479 of 3284 Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OK, so I've been absent for a few days after purchasing two TV's, the 65" Panny VT30 and the 80" Sharp.

For my setup a few things can't be ignored, the size of my room/wall and the incredible amount of glare off of the Panny. With those two factors I am keeping the 80" Sharp. To be honest, the Panny pic is in a different league compared to the Sharp. The Sharp looks OK but the Panny was AMAZING.

I followed the set up thread here and made the necessary adjustments and the picture is still just OK. My 7 yr old Pio Pro Elite plasma looks better and also have less motion lag despite being only 60hz.

I really hope there are a few adjustments that can still be made to the Sharp to improve the picture. But for now, out of my 3 viewing options, 50" Pio Pro Elite (7yrs old), Epson 6500UB on 134" screen and now the Sharp, it is fair to say the Sharp has the least impressive picture.

Sitting in the kitchen, about 30' from the Sharp it looks great but once within about 12' or so which is where the couch is, the picture is not that great.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get a better picture out of the Sharp?
post #480 of 3284 Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone been able to discuss the input lag on this?

I have an external vp to do all my post processing, i really would like a tv with minimal processing to reduce lag.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread