Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
LCD's last forever (just about ) the Liquid Crystals....
the older LCD displays were CFFL back lighted displays would last as long about 10,000 hrs or more ( that's what in most LCD computer monitors ) IIRC & as the bulb would slowly dim after many years , which on some sets can be replaced ,
this display is LED back lighted with a full array LED's , meaning there are no mirrors to extend the light across the panel as some of last years back lighted LED 70"ers were ( those are the ones with the problems with dark corners)

& LED's have a life into & over 100,000 hours IIRC

back lighted ,full array, LED displays are the cream of the crop in LCD LED displays

edge lighted LED LCD's are garbage , those are the ultra thin ones . they have what called flashlighting problems as some LED's were brighter OR dimmer than their neighbors which showed up as looking like a search light from the edge of the screen , radiating out towards the center of the screen.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I'm surprised the Sharp is not an IPS panel as that technology ensures better off axis viewing. I noticed that with my IBM ThinkPad, which has great viewing properties with its IPS LCD.

As far as I know IPS is proprietary of LG. IPS is known to have poorer contrast/black lelvel.

irkuck
post #543 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

As far as I know IPS is proprietary of LG. IPS is known to have poorer contrast/black lelvel.

IPS is a non proprietary technology, as far as I know, and can be implemented with excellent black levels. More LG sets may utilize IPS than other makers' models. Panasonic has or had IPS LCD TVs.

My Thinkpad has an IPS screen manufactured by Boe Hydis, and has excellent black levels.
post #544 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I just know that when I saw both the 70 inch Elite and the 80 inch that I thought the larger panel had just as good blacks to the eye as the Elite, and I preferred looking at the 80 inch set. It would be interesting to know what the black level on this set is just for the sake of academic reference, but I am not one who thinks that absolute black level, when you get down to the finest mathematical differences between sets, is the sole determinant of a good display.

I continue to be skeptical of local dimming, and feel that the less complications you present to the eye the better, and the less complicated circuitry the better .

I'm surprised the Sharp is not an IPS panel as that technology ensures better off axis viewing. I noticed that with my IBM ThinkPad, which has great viewing properties with its IPS LCD.

Did you see the 70 inch Elite? if so, what did you think of it?

Haven't seen the Elite but I read a splendid review on it. Would be a great set to own - but quite expensive.

Sharp makes their own panels and they are quite unique as they use split pixels to control light levels (see an earlier post by me).
If these sets had IPS panels they would likely cost a couple of thousand dollars more. They would be GREAT but ...expensive!
post #545 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2012 View Post

thanks for your commentary. so say a row of 3 wide leather HT seats would be "too" large ? to ensure best eyesight and "on" angle positioning.
what panel life you think these tvs provide?

If the seats are widely separated, you could always sit a little further back to reduce the angle.
As someone else has already said, the LCD panels last for many many years. It's the backlighting that was the problem - CCFL tubes were rated for around 50,000 hours which equals about 17 Years at 8 Hrs. per day so.....longevity has never really been a problem with LCD sets. I have had two cheaper sets break down but that was due to cheap Capacitors incorporated in their circuitry.
post #546 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you guys so much for your advice...I will be going with the "Sharp Warranty" which is $219.99 for 3 years. Will post pic's once the TV is installed on the wall. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Real easy. Sharp extended warranty. Little over $200 for 3 extra years and pay it in payments if you choose.

2nd option. Costco extended warranty which kicks in after 15 months (you get an extra 3 months when u reg with sharp)
$99 dont even have to be a member

Exclusive warranty provider? Doubt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I've not used them either, but I have also heard good things about Square Trade. They can also give you three years past the warranty (combine 3 Year Warranty overlapping 1 year manufacturer's warranty for $299, and $100 for an extra year for a total of 3 past warranty).

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post

I'd say go for the Sharp warranty since they can do in-home replacements with new or refurbished models very easily. I had them replace my 60" due to light bleed issues, with a brand new unit and they came to my house, popped the new one in, and took away the old one in the same packaging.

Quote:

I've heard good things about these guys. There was an article about them as selling a legit warranty. I can't personally vouch for them, as I've never bought a warranty from them.

I saw the 80 inch at Paul's...liked it better than the 70 inch Elite.

post #547 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Although the LED have a long life they are not immune from premature failure.
In the trucking industry, alot of the led lights going down the road have some of the led's burnt out. Of course water damage,vibration and electronics could be the cause but on some I have replaced the led's just went bad. Not a scientific study just somthing I noticed as a trucker.
post #548 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

Although the LED have a long life they are not immune from premature failure.
In the trucking industry, alot of the led lights going down the road have some of the led's burnt out. Of course water damage,vibration and electronics could be the cause but on some I have replaced the led's just went bad. Not a scientific study just somthing I noticed as a trucker.

Even in more controlled conditions, LEDs are not entirely as stable as the industry would have you believe. There's also the phenomenon of LEDs aging at different rates. And it's the same with DLP. The optical engines are not perpetual motion machines, immune to aging, as the semiconductor mirrors tend to develop minor biases caused by continual electrical charges.

The point is, on some level, all of these displays are consumables.
post #549 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

LCD's last forever (just about ) the Liquid Crystals....
the older LCD displays were CFFL back lighted displays would last as long about 10,000 hrs or more ( that's what in most LCD computer monitors )

Then all my monitors should be dead by now. They definitely last a lot longer than 10K hours.

LEDs have a range of life depending on color, and use of phosphors. Of course, just like any semi-conductor, they can also fail at any time.

Michael
post #550 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2012 View Post

hi
saw the 70'' at bestbuy
how wide is the viewing angle on the 80'', compared to plasma ?
thanks
this imho would fit well in a mini home theater, say 8-10ft wide small room
so all viewers remain on axis or close to this screen width

Plasma doesn't have a practical viewing angle limitation.

A 8-10' wide room really should not have a problem as long as you are not sitting too close to the screen. Remember that most people are not as fussy as us about picture quality.

Michael
post #551 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Has anyone heard when Sharp is releasing an 80" Quattron?
post #552 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixxster View Post

According to Sharp, quoted by many sources, there will certainly be an 80 inch Elite, meaning 3D and 240 Hz. Whether they will also make a non-Elite with the same characteristics has not been announced. Apparently we'll know in January 2012.
post #553 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

According to Sharp, quoted by many sources, there will certainly be an 80 inch Elite, meaning 3D and 240 Hz. Whether they will also make a non-Elite with the same characteristics has not been announced. Apparently we'll know in January 2012.

Do the elite models have quattron?
post #554 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Do the elite models have quattron?

They have the same quad pixel X-Gen panel as a number of non-Elite Sharp models, but the yellow pixel is implemented differently in the Elite, particularly in THX mode.
post #555 of 3283 Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I adjusted the settings to the recommendations in the earlier part of this thread. I have two questions.....how do I get more pop or sharpness out of the picture? Secondly, what should the viewing options be set to for the most realistic non stretched picture? Zoom, stretch, dot to dot, etc?

Thanks.

I set my sharpness to +4 and am very happy with the crispness of the picture.

The best non-stretch setting is Bit By Bit. However, I find Smart Stretch works well for most inputs. It only stretches the picture if it needs to fill the screen and then only as much as absolutely necessary. I leave my set on Smart Stretch most of the time and only go to Bit By Bit when watching movies.
post #556 of 3283 Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPHunt View Post

I set my sharpness to +4 and am very happy with the crispness of the picture.

The best non-stretch setting is Bit By Bit. However, I find Smart Stretch works well for most inputs. It only stretches the picture if it needs to fill the screen and then only as much as absolutely necessary. I leave my set on Smart Stretch most of the time and only go to Bit By Bit when watching movies.

Dot to Dot is easily the best viewing for ANYTHING "HD" on Sharp Panels - no comparison! - Smart Stretch is truly for doing what it says and Sharp does it very well with SD or what I call Fake HD broadcast or simply filling the screen and it's not new.

But everytime you use Smart Stretch your altering the contents intended display format which takes away from clarity of PQ and the Directors intent and in essence creating OVERSCAN.

Were you to compare the two Dot By Dot 1:1 is as perfect as your going to get on 1080 material especially on a 60-80" panel. Admittedly Smart Stretch IMO works very well and is outstanding with SD material but if your viewing HD Dot Mode is EASILY the best for Clarity as your feeding the HD panel with is native factor and makes it possible to get as close to the panel without artifacts or pixeling with matching material. BTW - there is no Dot Mode available to select when viewing SD channel content - so for those without HD Lineup Smart Stretch may be their best until they use a BD Player or get an HD lineup. But you can't very well stretch the material without hindering PQ clarity or = overscan and losing content also.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #557 of 3283 Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Dot to Dot is easily the best viewing for ANYTHING "HD" on Sharp Panels - no comparison! - Smart Stretch is truly for doing what it says and Sharp does it very well with SD or what I call Fake HD broadcast or simply filling the screen and it's not new.

But everytime you use Smart Stretch your altering the contents intended display format which takes away from clarity of PQ and the Directors intent and in essence creating OVERSCAN.

Were you to compare the two Dot By Dot 1:1 is as perfect as your going to get on 1080 material especially on a 60-80" panel. Admittedly Smart Stretch IMO works very well and is outstanding with SD material but if your viewing HD Dot Mode is EASILY the best for Clarity as your feeding the HD panel with is native factor and makes it possible to get as close to the panel without artifacts or pixeling with matching material. BTW - there is no Dot Mode available to select when viewing SD channel content - so for those without HD Lineup Smart Stretch may be their best until they use a BD Player or get an HD lineup. But you can't very well stretch the material without hindering PQ clarity or = overscan and losing content also.

+1 dot by dot is the best PQ by far

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #558 of 3283 Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my set yesterday.

It is replacing a 7 year old 1080P 64" Panasonic plasma.

At first, I though I had made a mistake. The colors in standard were poor and the picture badly washed out from the side. But, after a bit of fiddling, I now think it is a keeper. I can live with the washed out look and the size is awesome.

Now to get rid of the plasma. Have any other 64 inch plasma owners been able to sell their sets?
post #559 of 3283 Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

Got my set yesterday.

It is replacing a 7 year old 1080P 64" Panasonic plasma.

At first, I though I had made a mistake. The colors in standard were poor and the picture badly washed out from the side. But, after a bit of fiddling, I now think it is a keeper. I can live with the washed out look and the size is awesome.

Now to get rid of the plasma. Have any other 64 inch plasma owners been able to sell their sets?

I was able to sell my 3 year old Sharp 65" fairly easily for $1000 about two months ago (before the holiday pricing was in effect for new sets!) It still had 2 years left on the 5 year warranty. I just advertised it to folks at work. Had the same issue with the colors until I applied the settings recommended by this great forum
post #560 of 3283 Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixxster View Post

I hate to say it, but Quattron is just a marketing gimmick, and one more subpixel to go dead or get stuck. Even the Sharp people can't give you a scientific explanation of what it accomplishes, since the color space is the same as RGB (Rec. 709).

Michael
post #561 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I hate to say it, but Quattron is just a marketing gimmick, and one more subpixel to go dead or get stuck. Even the Sharp people can't give you a scientific explanation of what it accomplishes, since the color space is the same as RGB (Rec. 709).

Michael

Not necessarily, here is a very interesting article linked in another thread related to the color wheel and why it might make good sense to have yellow added - at least in theory. Granted, all broadcoast is done in three colors anyways - but I still thought this was a very very interesting read.

http://blog.asmartbear.com/color-wheels.html
post #562 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Qattron panels supposedly allow more light to pass, therefore providing a brighter picture. The yellow being added is the marketing fluff. It is the brightness that accounts for what people may perceive as a better picture.

Mistubishi has used a 6 color wheel in their DLP sets for years. While their DLP pq was competitive, nobody claims that it was wildly better than the normal color wheel design that was used by everyone else.

As people move their big sets from man caves to normal living rooms, ambient light becomes more of a factor. Brighter is better for daytime viewing. Even the best plasma will look bad in a brightly lit room.

The big and bright philosophy the Sharp has adopted has certainly paid off for them. They are the 1st manufacturer that brings a big bright set to market that will work in virtually any living environment.

When you see their sets in the stores, they make the other guy's 55" sets look like tablet computers.
post #563 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

When you see their sets in the stores, they make the other guy's 55" sets look like tablet computers.

That's exactly what happened with my 55 after I bought 70735. I can only imagine what my 55 would seem like if I bought the 80 incher Which I still might
post #564 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

The Wall Street Journal, and other news outlets, have reported that Sharp is supplying LCD panels to Apple for the next iPad and iPhone models as well as the next iteration of AppleTV.

If true, I would expect that a close analysis of Sharp's newest HDTVs could provide insight into Apple's HDTV plans. Can anyone offer any insight into why Apple might have selected Sharp technology for their foray into HDTV (assuming the reports are true)?

What is different about Sharp's LCD panels compared to those from Sony, Hitachi or more to the point, Samsung (which Apple appears to be dumping due to the increasingly acrimonious, global patent battle in which the two giants are engaged).

Geo
post #565 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Hey guys...just got my 80" mounted a little while ago. It's BIG....but not "over-kill" big. I was really afraid that it might be too big....turned out to be PERFECT!!! For those worried about viewing distance...DON'T!!! As long as your 6 feet away...you're good to go!!! Still have factory settings...only turned OFF OPC!!! Will tweak with the settings & post some pic's. I uploaded a few pic's from my camera phone. The pic's don't do justice to the PQ!!! It's a great TV...huge upgrade from my 50" pioneer elite plasma...I LOVE IT!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #566 of 3283 Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Qattron panels supposedly allow more light to pass, therefore providing a brighter picture. The yellow being added is the marketing fluff. It is the brightness that accounts for what people may perceive as a better picture.

Mistubishi has used a 6 color wheel in their DLP sets for years. While their DLP pq was competitive, nobody claims that it was wildly better than the normal color wheel design that was used by everyone else.

Have you ever switched from REC709 to RGB on same content?

Besides brightness, it is also a matter of color space/ palette. HD has slightly wider gamut than SD but with inclusion of secondary color it can extend the gamut, not that there is film content outside 709 YET Note that the visible spectrum is not a triangle.
post #567 of 3283 Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY6647 View Post

...huge upgrade from my 50" pioneer elite plasma...I LOVE IT!!

lol /me prepares for the coming s*#t storm.
post #568 of 3283 Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 AM

Just what the world needs, an 80" iPad :-)
post #569 of 3283 Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Everytime someone comes over and sees this 80" set, their jaws drop. I don't think we will have anything to compete with this for a WHILE! Unless Sharp goes out and makes a 90"+ panel... lol
post #570 of 3283 Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found any measurement of black levels on this set. To the eye black looks very good on this set, without local dimming...a real achievement.

Anyone seen any reviews?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page