Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3284 Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicsand View Post

I am very interested in this TV but I am wondering about the screen uniformity, especially on dark scenes. Is there any clouding that anyone has noticed on an all black background? I know that very rarely do you actually ever see an all black background during normal viewing but when playing a game or watching a movie with many dark areas it always seems to draw my eye. Also, I know the 70" Sharps had a problem with dark corners. Does that seem to be resolved with the 80"? Thanks in advance.

I have to say, this screen is very uniform. Compared to several other HD sets I have owned, pure black is pure black, pure white is pure white. No banding, and no clouding. No bright or dark spots in the corners. No light bleed issues. No dead pixels. I unfortunately have had one or another of the above issues in prior sets, but not this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3284 Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

well i have about 12 feet so I am going to buy !! Just waiting to see what happens at CES! Chris -be calling you soon, again !!
post #633 of 3284 Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
i wish there was more info on the 60" 632. i am a loyal plasma guy but this year i can not find a plasma that does not have serious issues. ive had 4 displays from 2 different manufactures and now have no other options. i need a 60" display for cost and room size reasons. i think i am going to try it out, but it will be a blind buy.

i know the 60 is edge lit where the 70 and 80 are full array. i just hope it is a good performer.

any thoughts or considerations on this?
post #634 of 3284 Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

This being my 7th or 8th HD set, is the first one that I have not seen ANY clouding whatsoever in dark scenes. Quite remarkable. I believe that is mainly due to the full LED backlight system.

There are lots of other sets with full array LED lighting that have clouding. You can see the posts over on the Sharp 735 thread. They may have made some improvements with the manufacturing of this 80" panel.

Michael
post #635 of 3284 Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
the template used to make the screens on the 80 " is very different from the 60"& 70"'ers so that is a big difference in PQ between the 80 " & other models .
the 80" has no 4th color & is a really full array model (some of last years 60 & 70's are not full array )they are back lighted but not a real full array ,dark corners are the tell .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #636 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Been following this thread since its inception & the actual owners of this set must be some happy campers compared to all the common complaints we hear so often with other units of various size & brands. Very few if any real problems mentioned in this thread with this 80" and i can only assume alot of folks like myself are merely waiting after the CES to see whats on the horizon and a few price drops on this Sharp 80 before making a final purchase decision.

Regards,
post #637 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i wish there was more info on the 60" 632. i am a loyal plasma guy but this year i can not find a plasma that does not have serious issues. ive had 4 displays from 2 different manufactures and now have no other options. i need a 60" display for cost and room size reasons. i think i am going to try it out, but it will be a blind buy.

i know the 60 is edge lit where the 70 and 80 are full array. i just hope it is a good performer.

any thoughts or considerations on this?

I have the 70" 632, and am/was a loyal plasma guy too, who would never get an LCD. It has greatly exceeded my expectations, and I am very happy. Do it!!
post #638 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Sharp LC-80LE632U to the Mitsubishi WD-92840 92" 3D DLP HDTV? I'd be interested to see how they stack up as the Mitsu is available for up to $1,000 less.
post #639 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPHunt View Post

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Sharp LC-80LE632U to the Mitsubishi WD-92840 92" 3D DLP HDTV? I'd be interested to see how they stack up as the Mitsu is available for up to $1,000 less.

there seems to be alot of mits DLP's out there with geometry problems. i briefly had a 65738 and the geometry was horrible. also i could see the RBE bad. blacks are not very good at all either.

by all accounts the sharp is much better, altho i have not seen one.
post #640 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

The Mits has a lot of glare on the screen, and off axis viewing is a problem. Plus, it is 25 inches deep. I looked at it at HH Gregg when I was shopping for a tv, and the 80 inch Sharp, in that envrionment, did not have the same issues as the 92840.
post #641 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was able to see 2 examples of the Mits 92" in the same store. One was in a brightly lit area, and the other in a darker room that also had 3 projection systems set up. The store also had the Elite 70", Sharp 70", and Panny 65" plasma that I viewed. In the well lit area of the store, the Mits seemed extremely dull and dim in comparison. It has nowhere near the pop of any of the other mentioned sets. In that comparison, it's hard to imagine anyone actually buying the Mits.

Viewing the same 92" Mits in the darker (projection) room gave a dramatically different impression. In this environment, it compared nicely to the low-mid level projection rigs.

I was then able to drive to another store that had the Sharp 80" (among others). The same relative impressions remain compared to the Mits.

The 80" sharp is a lot of set for the money. Nobody would have believed a couple of years ago that a set of this size and performance would be available for the current price. Hats off to Sharp! However.... the 80" Sharp does not have the quality of picture of my Pioneer plasma for example. Colors are less accurate and realistic, motion is not handled as well, and the viewing angle is still a very significant weakness on LCD sets.

And yet.... size kills! At some point the larger screen more than makes of for deficiencies in fidelity. This point will vary among individuals. I love an enveloping movie experience, and place a high value on larger screens. Others will have different content, viewing distance, preferences, etc.... And this brings me back to the Mits. For someone that really wants the big screen, and will use it in a dark room, the Mits is an interesting option. It offers the size of a small projection rig without some of the drawbacks.

For my living room, I would take the smaller Sharp (I can't believe I'm saying that about an 80" set) over the 92" Mits. Of course we are days away from the CES. Hoping for a larger Panny plasma, and there are rumors of an eventual 90" Sharp, and 80" Elite.
post #642 of 3284 Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post

Been following this thread since its inception & the actual owners of this set must be some happy campers compared to all the common complaints we hear so often with other units of various size & brands. Very few if any real problems mentioned in this thread with this 80" and i can only assume alot of folks like myself are merely waiting after the CES to see whats on the horizon and a few price drops on this Sharp 80 before making a final purchase decision.
Regards,

I too noticed how few complaints there are in this thread. It caught my attention largely because prior to the 70" and 80" Sharps I was considering the Mits 73" and 82" rear projections. As pointed out in this latest discussion about the 92", the RPTVs have their share of problems from the mentioned set depth, geometry errors and RBE to the inevitable overscan, screen problems and even a tag inside one set causing a shadow on the screen. And these are faults right out of the box. I don't see how many people could be displeased with this set.
I'll be very surprised if there's any 2012 set announced with this set's size, PQ and price point. Good luck in your search.
post #643 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

I too noticed how few complaints there are in this thread. It caught my attention largely because prior to the 70" and 80" Sharps I was considering the Mits 73" and 82" rear projections. As pointed out in this latest discussion about the 92", the RPTVs have their share of problems from the mentioned set depth, geometry errors and RBE to the inevitable overscan, screen problems and even a tag inside one set causing a shadow on the screen. And these are faults right out of the box. I don't see how many people could be displeased with this set.
I'll be very surprised if there's any 2012 set announced with this set's size, PQ and price point. Good luck in your search.

A 90 inch is coming
post #644 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Very good observations. My 80" Sharp is the perfect size for my 22x12' living room and views well from any position. The only change I plan to make is to have it ISF calibrated after it has burned in for 30 days (even though i am perfectly happy with the colour as it is).

It will be interesting to see what is new at the CES next week.
post #645 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

A 90 inch is coming

Care to elaborate?

post #646 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Care to elaborate?

Public news
post #647 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Public news

Nice
post #648 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM

I have read the entire thread and today I went to a retailer and looked at the unit first hand. Based on all this I am going to replace my 58" Panasonic Plasma with the Sharp 80 as soon as I find a LOWER PRICE! I am hoping between now and Suiper Bowl Sunday someone will have this baby below 4K.
I think I will move my 58" Panny to the bedroom and replace the 42" Panny that is currently there. If you know of a supplier with a lower price please give me a heads up.
post #649 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post

I have read the entire thread and today I went to a retailer and looked at the unit first hand. Based on all this I am going to replace my 58" Panasonic Plasma with the Sharp 80 as soon as I find a LOWER PRICE! I am hoping between now and Suiper Bowl Sunday someone will have this baby below 4K.
I think I will move my 58" Panny to the bedroom and replace the 42" Panny that is currently there. If you know of a supplier with a lower price please give me a heads up.

Its been below 4k for a number of weeks ;-)
post #650 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its been below 4k for a number of weeks ;-)

Can you tell me where?
post #651 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

I've owned this tv for about two weeks and absolutely love it. Been reading thru this thread every day. Lotta great info.

My only gripe so far is this... There seems to be a good amount of noise on the color red. The brighter the color, the more its noticeable. It's most apparent on cable. Currently I have a comcast box running component cables. Getting an hdmi box on Tuesday. I'm running a slightly tweaked version of rages settings. All most inputs run through an Onkyo 809 receiver before going to the tv, through hdmi of course.

Is the noise just do to comcast and how much they compress the signal? I've got all noise reduction and film mode turned off and have the reciever handling all of that, and with good success I might add. I have 120Hz set to low on the tv.

That's about the only complaint I have. Any thoughts?
post #652 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymook View Post

I've owned this tv for about two weeks and absolutely love it. Been reading thru this thread every day. Lotta great info.

My only gripe so far is this... There seems to be a good amount of noise on the color red. The brighter the color, the more its noticeable. It's most apparent on cable. Currently I have a comcast box running component cables. Getting an hdmi box on Tuesday. I'm running a slightly tweaked version of rages settings. All most inputs run through an Onkyo 809 receiver before going to the tv, through hdmi of course.

Is the noise just do to comcast and how much they compress the signal? I've got all noise reduction and film mode turned off and have the reciever handling all of that, and with good success I might add. I have 120Hz set to low on the tv.

That's about the only complaint I have. Any thoughts?

I have been aware of the mottled artifact ridden reds as well on some of the cable programs I watch. It kind of reminded me of when I used to back up my dual layer DVDs and compressed them too much to fit on to a single layer disc.
I have no doubt it's the extreme compression my cable supplier uses to fit in the channels. It's still using Mpeg2 as well so that makes it even worse. When I watch my own camcorder vids or blu-rays or my own Mpeg4 vids they are as clean as can be. So, NOT the TV's fault except that it is so big and clear that faults like these are fairly obvious compared to watching them on a smaller screen.
Lastly, cable providers take a network signal which has been fairly lightly compressed, expand it and then compress it a lot more to fit their bandwidth. Then we expand it again when we watch it. If your provider is still using the antiquated Mpeg2, it should NOT be subjected to more than 1 compression/expension cycle as artifacts become much more obvious and apparent. I freeze frame on some shows like CSI Miami or award shows with lots of tinsel falling and flashing lights. The frozen frame is just full of large squares and other artifacts because of the inability of the Mpeg2 compression scheme to keep up with the rapid frame to frame changes.
I'm still amazed at how much better Mpeg4 / H.264 /AVCHD is at handling motion and detail at half the bit rate of Mpeg2.
post #653 of 3284 Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Ya, I've read comcast compresses the **** out of their hd. I'm trying to be optimistic in that an hdmi box might clean it up a bit since I'm sure these component cables are garbage.

My receiver is upconverting to 1080p so i'm sure that doesn't help either... At least in regards to hiding the flaws. The picture is definitely clearer overall.
post #654 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Can you tell me where?

If you don't ask you don't get. I'm close to ordering too and will definitely CALL various places to ask for best price vs. paying asking price on website. I've heard great customer service stories coming out of Cleveland and will start my search there.
post #655 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Its in the threads so do some searching. You wont find that price from an online dealer. Their pricing is not as competitive as the big.box guys right now. Might change after ces if they formally announce the 90
post #656 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I've been to the box store you mentioned and they had that price but won't sell at that level now. Manager checked all, local and online prices and offered to match the lowest, whuich was an online vender I kew what the others were selling for and he had the right prices. Thanks fo r the lead.
post #657 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I've been to the box store you mentioned and they had that price but won't sell at that level now. Manager checked all, local and online prices and offered to match the lowest, whuich was an online vender I kew what the others were selling for and he had the right prices. Thanks fo r the lead.

Somewhere in one of these threads, or maybe in the found deals forum, there was a surprisingly nice write up from a BB employee, in fact I think it was a Magnolia-section manager. Bottom line - be nice, speak to the manager (while complementing the front line employee) and make completely clear that you will buy *right now* if they can give you a price of $X. Apparently it works pretty well

BTW: any NY/Westchester area owners who have this set and willing to give an on site demo? I am beginning to lean strongly toward this set (or a replacement/up model 80") but I'd really really really rather check one out in a home setting, properly dialed in or - even better - calibrated. I can bring beer or whatever your pleasure is (and no I am not looking for a Super Bowl invite!)

I'm a normal non-threatening person who years ago hosted a projector shootout in my loft

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #658 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 24
Considering the MSRP $5500, a low $4k price is already a 25% discount on a, what, three month old set...not bad. When I bought mine at the low $4k point, I was told the price to the retailer was just below $4k, making the profit margin very low. IMO it will take a lowering of Sharp's wholesale price to bring prices down, not just the Super Bowl sales prospect.
post #659 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Considering the MSRP $5500, a low $4k price is already a 25% discount on a, what, three month old set...not bad. When I bought mine at the low $4k point, I was told the price to the retailer was just below $4k, making the profit margin very low. IMO it will take a lowering of Sharp's wholesale price to bring prices down, not just the Super Bowl sales prospect.

BB cost is a hair just under 3k. This has been verified
post #660 of 3284 Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Went out and purchased this tv today. For the price it can't be beat. Going to move my Pioneer 5020 to the bedroom. Seems too small at 14 feet. Just a few quick questions, where are the speakers located on this tv as i can't see them on any picture. Are they removable? Would a sound bar block the the remote ir detector on the tv if placed in front on tv which I will have on stand. Thanks for your help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page