post #811 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptizer View Post

Quick question: I keep seeing comparisons between a 55" and the sharp 70" (about the 70" being almost twice as large in viewing area). Has anyone figured out the difference between the 70" and 80" (10%, 20%, etc)? Just curious.

30.61% larger

http://www.displaywars.com/70-inch-16x9-vs-80-inch-16x9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I'm seeing a lot of dead/stuck pixels on this thread. Anyone get one with no pixel defects?

Michael

I do not have any stuck pixels on my 80".
post #813 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM

I've been drinking this Kool-Aid for quite a while and I too have been impressed with how many people are really happy with the 80" TV. I am typicaly an impulse buyer but I feel I did my due dillange on this purchase. I actually purchased it last Monday but it wasn't delivered untill yesterday as they were out of stock.Yes, it is really big when you get in the room and I had elected to place it on the same stand that held my 58" plasma as the two sets weigh about the same. One look and I decided I have to put it on the wall even though I prefer the traditional stand setup. The mount is sturdy but the set seems to be top heavy and you can cause it to move with a mere touch and I'm afraid that a small bump might cause it to topple, but more importantly this set screams for a wall mount from an appearance standpoint. I think once it is mounted it will not seem to be so dominant in the room, although you can't hide this big thing. I am transitiioning from a plasma and the two pictures are quite different and I will need an adjustment period. I think the plasma is a little more realistic while this set is more vibrant My plasma was a 720, which is what you mainly get over cable (U Verse) so Blu Ray on this new set was a fantastic experience. The speakers on the set really suck and although I've heard the comment that it is because the set is so thin I don't quite buy that. I think we have technology to provide a good sound if they really want to but I have a surround system so it's not a big issue. I still have a lot of tweaking to do but I am very pleased with this purchase at $3999.
post #814 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

30.61% larger

http://www.displaywars.com/70-inch-16x9-vs-80-inch-16x9

Awesome! Thanks for the info and link. Trying to further justify this purchase to my wife. haha.
post #815 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Hopefully a picture coming tomorrow once I have my receiver setup, but this is really a nice TV. I'm not the most discerning viewer so take my opinion with a grain of salt (I'm presently look at the picture out of the box viewing OTA TV streamed through my Xbox), and I haven't calibrated it (were there actual instructions in post 46 or just impressions?), but I have zero buyers remorse.

But wow - this thing is huge once you get it on the wall. Between our soffit and the console below it there isn't much wiggle room.
post #816 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 11
Had a Mits 82740 on order (for delivery today). But the cost of that "bang for buck" unit plus another ~$2k for a new tv stand that passes WAF put this rig on the radar.

So the Mits is going back as we speak and we should have this on the wall by the end of the week.

Think this is a better choice for our room, which has some decent sunlight and the DLP's apparently offer up a lot of glare.

Will also enjoy the cleaner look of the LCD on the wall (going to use the Sanus VMPL3-B).

I think I'll miss out on the 3D but it's still early for that stuff. 3-4 yrs from now, I'll reassess the need/desire.

I'll likely try out the recommended settings on here...after a weekend of getting used to the default pic.

Moving from a 67" Sammy LED DLP...that goes downstairs. Thanks for all the good feedback on this unit here...
post #817 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

Had a Mits 82740 on order (for delivery today). But the cost of that "bang for buck" unit plus another ~$2k for a new tv stand that passes WAF put this rig on the radar.

So the Mits is going back as we speak and we should have this on the wall by the end of the week.

Think this is a better choice for our room, which has some decent sunlight and the DLP's apparently offer up a lot of glare.

Will also enjoy the cleaner look of the LCD on the wall (going to use the Sanus VMPL3-B).

I think I'll miss out on the 3D but it's still early for that stuff. 3-4 yrs from now, I'll reassess the need/desire.

I'll likely try out the recommended settings on here...after a weekend of getting used to the default pic.

Moving from a 67" Sammy LED DLP...that goes downstairs. Thanks for all the good feedback on this unit here...

the MITS DLP's really suck IMO, i had a recent model and it was horrible, bad geometry, bad black levels, washes out in light, so i think you made the right decision...
post #818 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

the mits dlp's really suck imo, i had a recent model and it was horrible, bad geometry, bad black levels, washes out in light, so i think you made the right decision...

+1
post #819 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up...

Now, given the Sanus mount I'm trying to lineup where we want this thing placed.

Real nice height finder tool here by Sanus: http://mf1.crutchfield.selectionassi...r/chooseHeight

"How high off the floor do you want your TV"? Then you can choose from the Top, Bottom or Center of the TV. But also asked are the sets mounting holes centered vertically? Is this a Yes for this set?

We'll be sitting ~13.5/14 ft back. I'm thinking 42" from the Center of the set to the floor would suffice (Corrected)

Just downloaded the manual...looks like the sets are centered on the back of the tv.

One other item of note in the manual: Do not mount the TV at a tilt. (Page 74 of 86, half way down under NOTE

Why would that be?
post #820 of 3283 Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

One other item of note in the manual: Do not mount the TV at a tilt.
Why would that be?

Couldn't find that precaution in my owners manual's instructions for wall mounting. I assume they must mean when using the supplied stand.
I did find the totally inappropriate warning to "not display a still picture for a long time, as this could cause an afterimage to remain". Take those CYA statements with a grain of salt...and use common sense.
post #821 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 AM

I made adjustments to my newly acquired set yesterday.
I pretty much used the settings found in this thread. and then made some minor adjustments based on my eye. I am really pleased with the result. When I watched Uverse high def channel, which features landscapes and scenery in genera,l I was able to tweak the colors to look the most realistic.
I wacthed the Magic basket ball game last night and although it was a horrible game, the picture was great and just like being there. I really like this unit.
post #822 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Got my LC-80 last night. All I have to say is YES and WOW. I upgraded from a 65" plasma and am floored by the vivid "looking through the window" illusion on nice 1080p material. This display is amazing.
post #823 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nowik View Post

Got my LC-80 last night. All I have to say is YES and WOW. I upgraded from a 65" plasma and am floored by the vivid "looking through the window" illusion on nice 1080p material. This display is amazing.

Welcome to the Exclusive 80 Club ;-)

Just saw the BluRay of Alien last night... even old movies look fantastic on this beast, especially the ones with the black bars on top and bottom (2.35:1 ratio). Size makes such a difference. I am hoping the 90 inch is delayed for a year so we don't feel like the 80 is too small...lol
post #824 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

the MITS DLP's really suck IMO, i had a recent model and it was horrible, bad geometry, bad black levels, washes out in light, so i think you made the right decision...

You forgot to mention the ongoing cost of projector lamp replacement...GRIM!
post #825 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv4xmas View Post

You forgot to mention the ongoing cost of projector lamp replacement...GRIM!

Bah...cost of a lamp is trivial, especially for someboy plunking down $4k on a 80" screen :P

I've got a 2003(?) 56" HLN Sammy in the basement that had one lamp replacement. I've got a 2009 67" A750 that has not had a lamp replacement. And believe me, these sets get used w/ 5 in the house.

So, to me, lamps not a big thing. And don't forget, 1/2 the folks on here recommend projector for anything over ...70+"'s it seems.

I was pleasantly surprised by the weight of this 80" Sharp. I had seen the 82" Mitsu was 134lbs...and DLP's are generally very light. So I figured this would be closer to 175-200lbs...but 122 blew me away.
post #826 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And don't forget, 1/2 the folks on here recommend projector for anything over ...70+"'s it seems.

I was a projector junkie for years,, but after getting the 70 incher and now having purchased the 80 incher no way would I go back to a projector.

Cheers
Davyo
post #827 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I was a projector junkie for years,, but after getting the 70 incher and now having purchased the 80 incher no way would I go back to a projector.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo does this mean the rumored 90 inch will be in your den this summer ;-)
post #828 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM

Hey all, got this off amazon for about 4200, from Huppins. Delivery this Thursday (They're gonna drop it on the curb and leave, per the Yellow Freight woman who called...wish my friends lived a little closer, I'm sure the box is gonna be massive, and I live on a steep incline...great). Sold a 58inch Panny TC-P58VT25 3D plasma, and an LG 55LE8500, Local Dimming, Full Array set in order to help finance the purchase. The Pannys plasma and 3D didn't wow me, and the LGs local dimming made for too much blooming. Sold each for 1500, so that helped, hope I'm not regretful... I'm thinking not, considering the size difference. My Q is, (and I skimmed through this thread a bit quickly), but although I saw someones setting for video game content, which will be a big help considering I game often, I don't recall seeing good settings for HD bluray/tv settings? Did I miss it? I saw chads review, but no settings in that. I just want some good, solid HD settings until I am ready to plunk down the loot for a calibration. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, anyone know a good calibration guy in Michigan?

Lastly, any chance the stand it comes on swivels? Thanks again!
post #829 of 3283 Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM

Any recommendations on a specific Sanus Model?
post #830 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

GEEZE !!!!!,,, I LOVE my 80 incher !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few days into owning the 80" (coming from the 70 incher) and Im just floored by how amazing the PQ is on the 80 inch panel !!!!!

Call me crazy but I thing the PQ on my 80" is even better than on my 70",,, and not because of the extra size over my 70",,,, I think the PQ is actually better on the 80" even though they are the same model.

Anyhow,,,,, no teck stuff, no questions, no complaints,,,, just wanted to post some LOVE for the 80" Sharp !!!

I would hug this TV but its to big to get my arm's around it.

Best TV money I have ever spent.

Cheers
Davyo
post #831 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

GEEZE !!!!!,,, I LOVE my 80 incher !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few days into owning the 80" (coming from the 70 incher) and Im just floored by how amazing the PQ is on the 80 inch panel !!!!!

Call me crazy but I thing the PQ on my 80" is even better than on my 70",,, and not because of the extra size over my 70",,,, I think the PQ is actually better on the 80" even though they are the same model.

Anyhow,,,,, no teck stuff, no questions, no complaints,,,, just wanted to post some LOVE for the 80" Sharp !!!

I would hug this TV but its to big to get my arm's around it.

Best TV money I have ever spent.

Cheers
Davyo

Nice... I think Sharp should stick with 3 pixel technology like they use on this 80" and give up on that whole Quattron stuff...
post #832 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM

I would love one of these 80" beasts, but the price difference between the 70" on sale at Best Buy right now, and the average sale price of the 80" is just too large to ignore. But then there's the news of the 90" Sharp plans on releasing. Ugh the decisions!
post #833 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post

I would love one of these 80" beasts, but the price difference between the 70" on sale at Best Buy right now, and the average sale price of the 80" is just too large to ignore. But then there's the news of the 90" Sharp plans on releasing. Ugh the decisions!

I've not heard of a 90". Where I can find some details?

Robbin
post #834 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got the 70" 632 at Costco on the day before Thanksgiving for $1899...too good to pass up! I would *LOVE* to get the 80", but just can't afford it. But if I could, I would absolutely SNAP it up!! The PQ of the 70" 632 blows me away, and I know the 80" 632 will be equal to, or better than, that. I am one of those who feels that the Quattron of the 732/33 does nothing, and may, in fact, result in a lesser PQ (as some have claimed). And I could care less about the 3D of the 734/5.

If you are looking at this, and can afford it, I would grab it in a heartbeat, not worrying about any other panel...
post #835 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I got the 70" 632 at Costco on the day before Thanksgiving for $1899...too good to pass up! I would *LOVE* to get the 80", but just can't afford it. But if I could, I would absolutely SNAP it up!! The PQ of the 70" 632 blows me away, and I know the 80" 632 will be equal to, or better than, that. I am one of those who feels that the Quattron of the 732/33 does nothing, and may, in fact, result in a lesser PQ (as some have claimed). And I could care less about the 3D of the 734/5.

If you are looking at this, and can afford it, I would grab it in a heartbeat, not worrying about any other panel...

The 80" can be found for about $1k less than MSRP online, but I would feel much better buying it from a physical retailer. The problem is that where I live, the only retailer selling this set is Best Buy, and they haven't budged from MSRP (yet they have the 70" for $2k). I'm having a hard time justifying $3k more for 10".
post #836 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

I've not heard of a 90". Where I can find some details?

It's not been officially announced, so you'll not find much. A Sharp rep. at the CES said it would be released this year. We'll see.....
post #837 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:

The 80" can be found for about $1k less than MSRP online, but I would feel much better buying it from a physical retailer. The problem is that where I live, the only retailer selling this set is Best Buy, and they haven't budged from MSRP (yet they have the 70" for $2k). I'm having a hard time justifying $3k more for 10".

I'd love to support local brick/mortar too...but BB's pricing is almost never "there". So amazon it is...will let you know delivery condition by Friday w/ any luck.
post #838 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM

The stand does not swivel or rotate in any fashion. I'm sure the stand is designed to hold this tv but it moves and wiggles too much and scares me. Helped me to make the decision to wall mount. I also suspect it will be difficult to move that box by yourself.
Good luck
post #839 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Look harder guys..under 4k can be had from.a local starting with HH..may not be advertised but trust me.they haggle
post #840 of 3283 Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Look harder guys..under 4k can be had from.a local starting with HH..may not be advertised but trust me.they haggle

You can haggle there prices?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page