Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

If you didn't like your elite then your not going to like this set.

The only wow factor about this set is size. Nothing more. Picture isn't anything great. It's just good. Nothing amazing about this set. Huge set with great uniformity for its size. That's about it.

I beg to differ. I started with Hi-def when I bought the Pioneer Elite Pro 58" RPTV in 1999. Since then I've also owned and enjoyed 3 projectors, including the renowned Epson 1080UB, and about 7 other LCD's of most popular brands. When it comes to what really counts - a clear consistent picture with no annoying artifacts or shortcomings, this set is head and shoulders above any other set I've owned in the past 13 Yrs. What really counts to me is neutral pleasing colour, a good dynamic range, sufficient brightness without blooming (Elite Pro 58" was very poor here). When I start watching a movie, I go through the WOW factor for the first few minutes and then I am totally drawn into the movie (like at a good movie theater) and find myself just enjoying the hell out of whatever I am watching. I'm not sure how you can improve the picture on this set except by perhaps having an even deeper black than this set provides. Unless you're watching in a totally dark room, I doubt that this is of significant value. The black level is NOT totally black but it's really close.

What used to annoy me and destroyed the illusion of watching a good program was, in no particular order, DSE, Blooming, dynamic lighting/contrast bouncing up and down, dark or bright corners, poor gamma, black level, pixels stuck on bright, motion trailing and smearing (apparent mostly in early sets from 6 - 7 yrs ago" ). That's all I can think of at the moment, but the main thing is that the 80" 632U does not suffer from any of these shortcomings. As I've stated earlier, the only imperfections I've noticed so far is the mediocre off-angle contrast and the slightly weird, but easily fixed, phantom puck following the real puck in NHL Hockey (Turn off 120 Hz motion).
In the last couple of days I have been aware of some occasional sound sync issues as well. They have not been resolved by using game or PC mode (which turns off all video enhancements which can cause sync issues). I'm pretty sure the cause is my cable provider, DVDO iso Scan Duo or Onkyo 609 receiver as they're all daisy-chained together.

Please notice I never mentioned the sound quality. I've been using an external amp and speakers for decades and would never consider using the consistently mediocre built in speakers in almost all TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

When you say motion was off (with Gears of War), did have a juttery/studdery look to it? I found that pretty much any lcd PANEL (not lcd projection for some reason) has this look to it. That's what the motion enhancement thats always included is for, i think.

Yeah. It just isn't very smooth. I notice it with pretty much all content. It's horrible when a camera pans from left to right. You can't really see whatever it's showing during the pan.

There is a navy commercial. When the boat comes in the screen with all the jets and what not on it. When it comes by its very jittery. You can't see all the jets and what not. It's very annoying.
post #903 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Anyway. This set does have noticeable DSE. I see it mostly during dark content with bright around it. Looks "muddy" to me. It isn't a killer but it is rather annoying. I'm yet to see it durning anything I've watched. I only notice it when playing games online.

Hey Juke, I thought you had the 70LE632U - You're posting in both threads so I'm not sure which you own...possibly both I guess...just curious.
post #904 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

Hey Juke, I thought you had the 70LE632U - You're posting in both threads so I'm not sure which you own...possibly both I guess...just curious.

I wish I had room for both lol. I originally purchased the 70 thinking it was the biggest I could fit. Found out that wasn't the case so now I'm here. Main reason I got this set was for size and football. NY is my team. Kept the 70 for a week to see how well it would work for the games. Learned it's pretty decent for the games. So I took the bait and upped for bigger size.
post #905 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
You may want to swap.your set juke. Not many owners with your problems.on this set
post #906 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I had room for both lol. I originally purchased the 70 thinking it was the biggest I could fit. Found out that wasn't the case so now I'm here. Main reason I got this set was for size and football. NY is my team. Kept the 70 for a week to see how well it would work for the games. Learned it's pretty decent for the games. So I took the bait and upped for bigger size.

'

Okay cool (except for the NY part...Pats fan here).

Quote:

You may want to swap.your set juke. Not many owners with your problems.on this set

That's why I was asking because Juke seems to be having problems reported in the 70LE632 thread. I haven't seen anyone else report those issues in this thread.

In any case, I'm close to buying in on it and wrapping it up with the projector...it's been a fun five years with front projection, but I'm itching to make a change.
post #907 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
all i can say is if this display has no issues other than it's limitations i will be a happy camper. i have purchased and returned way more than i wanted.

64d7000-buzz,pops ar filter peeling...

65vt30-really no issue other than my lr was to bright for it...

55nx720-corner light bleeding

65hx929-horrific vertical banding in center of screen

60/70 sharp elites-pulsing....

80632-(hopefully this will remain blank....)

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #908 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Agreed...nothing but good things to report so far here on PQ.

Can someone point me to some software to d/l onto a USB stick to check for dead pixels....color gamut etc.
post #909 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Really? I was starting to feel that way being as I seem to be the one of the few saying this. I'll see about getting a swap out 1st thing tomorrow. Should be all done come Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hopefully this is only an issue with my set.
post #910 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Ditto what billdag said in post #903. The only issue I have with this set is the audio not synced to the video. I only see it on certain channels which seems like it would be my cable input, yet I never noticed it on my previous set. I need to check the unsynced channels on another set in the house, which I have not yet done. That should provide the answer...input or TV.
post #911 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Ditto what billdag said in post #903. The only issue I have with this set is the audio not synced to the video. I only see it on certain channels which seems like it would be my cable input, yet I never noticed it on my previous set. I need to check the unsynced channels on another set in the house, which I have not yet done. That should provide the answer...input or TV.

We're trying to finish up Breaking Bad on Netflix...so we've watched about 7 episodes since yesterday.

The last one had some serious lip sync issues. I can run Netflix thru the set w/ the tv speakers or thru PS3 which gives stereo output thru the HT speakers. We watched a few last nite thru the set without sync issues and a few thru PS3 with just the one with issues. No idea why....pausing and restarting helped a bit buy not 100% fix.

Will keep a close eye on it going forward. Guess the lips and lip movement are now that much bigger so even slight issue may be more noticeable.
post #912 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had audio issues as well. Doesn't matter which mode I use. It happens. Same with source. It isn't all the time. When it does happen its rather annoying.
post #913 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Others reporting the same problem earlier in the thread did not find a resolution other than Game mode, which may or may not really be a fix and is certainly not acceptable to me. Hopefully this topic will draw some attention and those with more expertise will lend some aid.
post #914 of 3283 Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Others reporting the same problem earlier in the thread did not find a resolution other than Game mode, which may or may not really be a fix and is certainly not acceptable to me. Hopefully this topic will draw some attention and those with more expertise will lend some aid.

Game mode is the only mode I use and I still get the issues often.
post #915 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Put the 80" on Price Watch at BB. They sometimes put it on sale for 24 hours only. Grab it then.
post #916 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 AM

If you aren't bound to buying from a local dealer, sign into Nextag Radar and put the Sharp 80" on price watch. It tracks prices from many vendors across the country and maintains a graph of price fluctuations. www.nextag.com/.
post #917 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPHunt View Post

Put the 80" on Price Watch at BB. They sometimes put it on sale for 24 hours only. Grab it then.

Sorry to be a dullard but I can't find a way to do this on the BB site. Must be missing it but don't see any link for price watch. Any help is much appreciated.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #918 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Sorry to be a dullard but I can't find a way to do this on the BB site. Must be missing it but don't see any link for price watch. Any help is much appreciated.

Pricewatch.com
post #919 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Game mode is the only mode I use and I still get the issues often.

The best mode to avoid audio sync issues is Game Mode by far. Unfortunately, different sources on your HDMI inputs, even different content on your satellite feed will have varying amounts of sync differences in the audio-video content. So while not perfect, Game Mode will give you the best overall results.

Some receivers have the ability to input an audio delay per HDMI source. Ideally, even the option for audio acceleration (video delay) would be available, since sometimes the problem is in the reverse direction. My Onkyo is extremely limited in this regard, allowing only 0 - 100 ms delay in 10 ms increments, defined by HDMI source. I leave it at 0 using Game Mode and gives me the least headaches.
post #920 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM

Looks like this bad boy can now be had for under $3700 from a decent online retailer...
post #921 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like this bad boy can now be had for under $3700 from a decent online retailer...

Yep, thanks Snowbro...now I just wait 7-10 days for delivery.
post #922 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
post # 43
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21570156

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #923 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindaLT View Post

I might be mistaken, but there is no such thing as NTSC or PAL for 1080p resolution. There is just 1080p 60Hz (USA and other countries, which have 110V 60Hz mains), or 1080p 50Hz (Europe and other countries, which have 220V 50Hz mains), or multiples of that, e.g. 120 or 240Hz in the USA, 100 or 200Hz in the EU.
This set - LC80LE632U - is natively multisystem. I can confirm this 100%.
I've tested it with different sources and it displays even my old VHS PAL player over composite input - just plug and play basicaly. Quality is awful, but what do you expect of VHS resolution on 80' set
There is some indirect evidence that even power supply is multi-voltage, but I am still trying to figure this one out. Since all the stickers are for US voltages, I am out of ideas of how to test 220V support safely, without disassembling the set.

Hi,

Can you test HDMI inputs ?

I tried it with a pal camcorder but can not tweak menu. As a result I have wrong colors on tv. Wonder about pal signal support.

Thanks
post #924 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post

The best mode to avoid audio sync issues is Game Mode by far. Unfortunately, different sources on your HDMI inputs, even different content on your satellite feed will have varying amounts of sync differences in the audio-video content. So while not perfect, Game Mode will give you the best overall results.

Some receivers have the ability to input an audio delay per HDMI source. Ideally, even the option for audio acceleration (video delay) would be available, since sometimes the problem is in the reverse direction. My Onkyo is extremely limited in this regard, allowing only 0 - 100 ms delay in 10 ms increments, defined by HDMI source. I leave it at 0 using Game Mode and gives me the least headaches.

My Onkyo TX-609NR allows up to 800ms of + adjustment to sound delay. I was playing with it last night and it was interesting to see what it sounded and looked like with full 800 ms adj. What happens (as expected - but nice to verify) is that the lips start moving almost a full seconds before the sound starts. What this obviously means is that the adjustment is meant to delay the sound to sync with delayed picture processing. So........if you need to adjust by going negative, that is not likely and would be the opposite of what you'd expect from a enhanced picture processing. There is no reasonable explanation to have the sound advanced as that would indicate that the video portion was displayed earlier than it should have. The only plausible explanation for this scenario is that it was a faulty broadcast or the program was compressed without proper sound sync. I remember when I was archiving vids some years ago, there was a ms delay that you had to add when combining the sound and video during the final stage.
post #925 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:

.....If your receiver is HDMI 1.4 capable, the digital surround audio will be sent to it over the same HDMI cable that's delivering the video to the set from the receiver. Otherwise, yes, you need a dig. optical(Toslink) or coaxial cable from TV to receiver. I picked up on that through a post here or I'd have missed it too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Even in the case you describe I believe you have to make sure to use the hdmi arc (audio return channel) connection on the receiver. On most receivers only one of the hdmi connections works as arc. And in some of those, I believe you have to actively engage a setting on the receiver to tell it to look for audio (though I'm not sure as I don't do this myself in my set up as of yet since all of my streaming sources currently come from ps3, etc).

I've got an Onkyo TX SR-508, which is not 1.4v. So will running an Optical out of the Sharp to the Receiver still enable surround with Netflix over Network/Cat5 cable? I'm only very confused about this and the whole A.R.C. spec. I'm pretty sure I enabled HDMI Sound within the TV settings (but assume since my receiver is not 1.4, it doesn't help).

EDIT: Oh heck, I think this is 1.4 capable...yay me!
post #926 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

What this obviously means is that the adjustment is meant to delay the sound to sync with delayed picture processing. So........if you need to adjust by going negative, that is not likely and would be the opposite of what you'd expect from a enhanced picture processing.

Honestly, who really cares the reason for the audio or visual delay, it would just be nice to be able to properly adjust for it in EITHER direction, forward or back. In other words, a VIDEO delay to go along with the AUDIO delay.
post #927 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I just use the NetFlix outta my Blu-Ray player running into my Onkyo AVR.. then get everything processed by the AVR then on to the display this gives me all the options that the AVR will do the audio IE;converting to the listening modes, surround, Ect.
Everything is HDMI thru out the chain
the new Blu-Ray players have all the features that the display has , @ about $100
I get no delay as well, if I do then it's the PBS channel & it's easily adjusted with the Onkyo
these new smart Tv's are OK if you don't have AVR or a blu-ray player , but If one has the $ for this display then why don't they have a AVR , 5.1 speakers & Blu-Ray as well ??

Mike

post #928 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I just use the NetFlix outta my Blu-Ray player running into my Onkyo AVR.. then get everything processed by the AVR then on to the display this gives me all the options that the AVR will do the audio IE;converting to the listening modes, surround, Ect.
Everything is HDMI thru out the chain
..... these new smart Tv's are OK if you don't have AVR or a blu-ray player , but If one has the $ for this display then why don't they have a AVR , 5.1
speakers & Blu-Ray as well ??

Ok, other than the 80", I've got: 1. DTV's HD-DVR HR24, 2. PS3 (games/blue-ray) and the Onkyo TX SR580 (with yes, 1.4 and ARC!).

We have both the HD-DVR and the PS3 going into the Onkyo via HDMI (HDMI "In" 1 and 2). We have HDMI Out going into HDMI 1 on the TV.

I'm pretty sure, through the PS3/Netflix we are only getting stereo sound vs. true Surround sound.

Through the TV, via Network cable...doesn't even go through the Onkyo as we only get TV speakers.

Wife called Sharp/AquosNet support...they said that was a "copyright" issue. Ummm, yeah...

So if you only have HDMI cables and get true Surround through it...sweet. I'm either missing a setting within the PS3 or TV...or I need to run an optical cable from (I think) PS3 to TV...or maybe Onkyo to TV.
post #929 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

Ok, other than the 80", I've got: 1. DTV's HD-DVR HR24, 2. PS3 (games/blue-ray) and the Onkyo TX SR580 (with yes, 1.4 and ARC!).

We have both the HD-DVR and the PS3 going into the Onkyo via HDMI (HDMI "In" 1 and 2). We have HDMI Out going into HDMI 1 on the TV.

I'm pretty sure, through the PS3/Netflix we are only getting stereo sound vs. true Surround sound.

Through the TV, via Network cable...doesn't even go through the Onkyo as we only get TV speakers.

Wife called Sharp/AquosNet support...they said that was a "copyright" issue. Ummm, yeah...

So if you only have HDMI cables and get true Surround through it...sweet. I'm either missing a setting within the PS3 or TV...or I need to run an optical cable from (I think) PS3 to TV...or maybe Onkyo to TV.

if you run the PS3 thru the Onk then you can go into the Onkyo set-up & change the input setting from the PS3 to let the AVR process the audio into a surround codec that the Onkyo will play directly to your speakers & then the AVR sends the Video off to the display with no need to have the audio return to the Onkyo from the display .. see what I mean ?

Mike

post #930 of 3283 Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just use my ps3 strait to my tv. The optical audio out from tv to my SR-600. Still get audio delays.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page