Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 3283 Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What settings are you trying out, I would like to graph them and see how they look on my 632?

I'm using yours, Rage2's which are towards the beginning of the thread and the settings Suzook posted a couple of days ago. I have yours set up in game mode, Rage's are in movie mode, and I stuck Suzook's in user mode (not ideal but still look pretty good).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 3283 Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
has anyone done a pro cal ? I got enuff cash for that as well now . I'll wait 2 weeks & then do that after I get mine ,Just to make sure the display works properly

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1203 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its true. 99 bucks (well 105 for non.members)
Otherwise get the sharp warranty

Thanks Suzook. Got an email from Cosco customer support re: amazon/non-member purchase. Same answer...and purchased! Great deal.
post #1204 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

Thanks Suzook. Got an email from Cosco customer support re: amazon/non-member purchase. Same answer...and purchased! Great deal.

I'd rather pay the extra $100 for the Sharp warranty, given that Sharp will do everything in house, no worries about shipping, packaging, etc... And you'd likely be replaced with an updated model if something happens in "x" number of years from now.

Anyways, I think the price on the warranty is low because these machines don't give out... I still have 2 other Sharp Aquos panels which are functioning same as the day I got them, one is 4.5 years old, the other is 2 years old...
post #1205 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro View Post

I'd rather pay the extra $100 for the Sharp warranty, given that Sharp will do everything in house, no worries about shipping, packaging, etc... And you'd likely be replaced with an updated model if something happens in "x" number of years from now.

Anyways, I think the price on the warranty is low because these machines don't give out... I still have 2 other Sharp Aquos panels which are functioning same as the day I got them, one is 4.5 years old, the other is 2 years old...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11660851

Free in-home service on sets over 37".

"These sets don't go out"...who knows that? internal components change all the time...and the Costco/ST warranty is not specific to LCD...it's any set over $XX.00. So that point is moot as well.

It's a great deal...and I can't see how it's better than $220 or whatever direct from Sharp...unless they simply don't honor the warrant when it's needed.
post #1206 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Hmmm, How do you get the warranty? I guess I did something wrong

"Thank you for your e-mail to Costco Wholesale.

The TV extended warranty offered on our website is for Costco purchases only.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Anthony
Costco Wholesale Corporation"
post #1207 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oticon View Post

Hmmm, How do you get the warranty? I guess I did something wrong

"Thank you for your e-mail to Costco Wholesale.

The TV extended warranty offered on our website is for Costco purchases only.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Anthony
Costco Wholesale Corporation"

I got this...and if you order and go through the ordering process and don't input a Costco customer ID, it tacks on 5% added cost:

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:16:26
To:
Subject: Re: Other [#3557470]

Dear str3t,

Thank you for your e-mail to Costco Wholesale.

Yes, you can purchase the SquareTrade warranty for a TV that was not bought at Costco. Please make sure to purchase the warranty within 60 days of the purchase of the television.

Also, non members are welcome to order from Costco.com, however, there is a 5% non member surcharge fee that will be applied to the order.
Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Cara
Costco Wholesale Corporation

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 02/24/2012 07:10:10 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:

Can you confirm that the SquareTrade extended warranty is available to me? It seems so on a few sites I frequent but my concern is that I did not buy the set from Costco nor am I a Cosco member.

I purchased a Sharp 80" LCD from Amazon. But it appears I can buy the extended warranty here for $100:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11660851

Please let me know if this is availablef or Amazon purchase and for a non-Cosco member...thanks!
post #1208 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

not trying to create a arguement but here is a review from Costco site it's self about total costs

(Quote) ;
Rating:
3 out of 5
SiuCity
Date:January 10, 2012
Good deal, but inaccurate terms and conditions
Pros: inexpensive extended protection
Cons: terms and conditions not accurate
"I purchased this extended protection for a TV I purchased elsewhere. The terms and conditions said this covers the purchase price of the TV, but I found out later that is not true. The coverage limit is $3,999.99. My TV costs more than that. I certainly hope I never have to request repair service in the 3 years after my manufacturer's 2 year warranty, but it would have been nice if this truly covered what the terms and conditions claim it would."
( UnQuote)
so it appears that the replacement policy is not as Sharps is & they only pay up to a certain limit . the costco replacement policy is as stated on site = "Provide a new or refurbished product of equal features & functionality" OR " Provide a cash settlement or a gift card reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features & functionality up to the 'Coverage Amount' "
costco does have a optional accidental damage from handling (ADH) coverage but I couldn't find a price for that & that coverage is limited .
as for a lemon policy it take 4 repairs in 12 months to get to the lemon replacement stage.

anyway there's alot of fine print to go over .

Mike

post #1209 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Good thing this set cost me under $3999.00

I did read that review as well...and they should spell that out more clearly vs. just stating "for tvs over $1000.00". Does $100.00 cover a $50k set?

But Terms/Conditions are here: http://content.costco.com/Images/Con...pdf/575685.PDF

And its states in #6: How Will We Service your Product:

Depending on item and failure circumstances,
A. Repair your product, or
B. Provide cash settlement or Gift Card reflecting replacement cost of a new item with equal features/functionality up to the Coverage Amount, or
C. Provide a new or refurb w/ equal features/functionality.

That document mentions "Coverage Amount" a few times, but I don't see $3,999 max anywhere...

But seriously, I think those should suffice for most at a mere $100 and 3yrs...no? Assuming it does max at $4k coverage and you don't spend much more than that...

Any one have time to call Square Trade directly and fill in some blanks? ....call SquareTrade at 1-877-927-7268.
post #1210 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

just got a 632 80" from US Appliance ..pulled the trigger ! $X,XXX.00 free shipping

Mike

post #1211 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM

I have the Sharp LC-80LE632U connected to an Integra DHC-80.3 via HDMI. When the Sharp is powered off it also powers off the Integra. Normally a convenient feature but I don't want the Integra off if I am listening to a different audio source such as my Sonos playing through a digital audio input. Can anyone help me out please?
post #1212 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

just got a 632 80" from US Appliance ..pulled the trigger ! $3,697.00 free shipping

Congrats... $300 better than when I bought back in Nov 2011.
post #1213 of 3283 Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: I just bought a SanDisk 4GB stick and it works fine in the TV.

BTW, since the TV is wall mounted, I bought a 6 inch USB extension cable (a foot would be better.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

Anyone having problems with USB memory sticks?

I purchased two PNY 4GB Attache sticks and both give the following response:
The screen with Photo, Video or Music comes up.
Selecting Photo then gives:

The USB memory is disconnected.
Please check the connection.

I have a couple of other older sticks that work fine.

post #1214 of 3283 Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider View Post

I have the Sharp LC-80LE632U connected to an Integra DHC-80.3 via HDMI. When the Sharp is powered off it also powers off the Integra. Normally a convenient feature but I don't want the Integra off if I am listening to a different audio source such as my Sonos playing through a digital audio input. Can anyone help me out please?

There is a feature you need to disable- CEC or something. I remember reading about this in the dedicated Integra 80.3 thread. I suggest searching that thread.
post #1215 of 3283 Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM

I tried registering on sharpusa.com when I bought the thing 3 weeks ago, but I kept getting an error & put it off.

I just remembered to try again and am still getting this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.21 (Amazon) Server at cache.www.sharpusa.com Port 80

I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong...can anyone else sign in to MYSHARP?

Thanks.
post #1216 of 3283 Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlasttoy View Post

I tried registering on sharpusa.com when I bought the thing 3 weeks ago, but I kept getting an error & put it off.

I just remembered to try again and am still getting this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.21 (Amazon) Server at cache.www.sharpusa.com Port 80

I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong...can anyone else sign in to MYSHARP?

Thanks.

Yes, the site is down. I get the same.
post #1217 of 3283 Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

\\ I watch most of the threads on Sharp displays & this is about the service that Sharp has fixing a display either under Warranty OR Extended Warranty . the Service level is exactly the same for both.From what has been posted here on Various Sharp AVS display threads ,
You call about a problem , they ask if you can send a photo of the problem If that photo can convey/diagnose the problem & Sharp can tell the display is defective @ that point you get a replacement , If they have to send a tech out to the house, they will & if he says the set needs replacing he then arranges pick-up & delivery with Sharp . If not he fixes the problem right there .If the problem returns they usually replace the Unit. Below is typical experience that I have seen on the Sharp's AVS threads .
To me this level of service is what i'd pay an extra $100 for anyday of the week.
I have seen that if your display is an older model, Sharp up-grades you to a better model that is current in the Sharp line At That Moment. this to me is priceless.
I've had coverage policies with outside of a unit's MFG'er before. Companies like Costco/SquareTrade & it takes multiple attempts with a service call each time to get a replacement / refund. Costco states it take 4 service calls in a 12 month period to get to the "lemon law" stage of a unit's replacement . Missing 4 days of work to be home to receive a service tech is way more expensive than an added $100 for a better level of coverage .
below is a typical AVS post about Sharp service this was posted 2-15-12 on the Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread post #211.
Just shedding some light on how there is a big difference between Sharp & Costco on the level of coverage .
this is offered to give AVS members the best info on making a informed choice , Not to ruffle anyone's nose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by darreneddlemon View Post(Quote)
I have an update for my defective TV.After sending Sharp Pictures, they have offered to send me a new TV which is a slight upgrade. It will be an even swap.
For my LC-60LE632U, they will replace it with the Sharp Quattron LC60LE830U.It will be delivered to my house and setup by them and they will take the other back with them. Should receive it in about 7 to 10 business days.
Anyone know much about this TV?
So far it's been very good customer service by Sharp. ( Unqoute )

Quote:
Originally Posted by darreneddlemon View Post

Hello,Just got my replacement TV (LC60LE830U) and so far it appears to be OK. There are still some faint lines in the corners but I believe this must just be the effect of the edge lighting which were visible on my LC60LE632U also. The 6 wide vertical lines across the screen on the LC60LE632U are no longer there on the LC60LE830U which did appear to be a film wrinkle issue.

The TV was delivered and setup by the delivery team and they took the LC60LE632U with them. So far so good. I'll have to recommend Sharp on the Customer Service alone.

Mike

post #1218 of 3283 Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Service Manual for this display "SHARP LC-80LE632U" use link to D/L the file.

http://elektrotanya.com/sharp_lc-80l.../download.html

Mike

post #1219 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked: 13
The 80" Sharp was at my house when I returned from travel on Friday. I removed the 70" Quattron from the TV stand and set the 80" up on Saturday with the help of my nephew. A few observations:

1) Suprisingly, given the size, the picture quality of the 80" is at least as good as the 70". This thing is so bright that the sunlight coming in through multiple windows in the living room is not a problem. It is razor "sharp" and crystal clear. Color saturation is fantastic. The overall reaction from several people who have seen it is "stunning".

2) I thought that black levels on the 70" were terrific, but the 80" is even better. Black is absolutely black on the 80". I watched selected space scenes from some movies that I use as a black reference (e.g. the beginning of "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" section of 2001: A Space Odyssey just before the "light trip") and there was not even a hint of any "non-blackness". The black background behind the actors during interviews on the Oscars last night was perfect. I don't see how this set would benefit from a local dimming feature.

3) The 80" handles motion better than the 70". Although not perfect, I do not see the same exaggerated artifacts with moving footballs and golfballs when using the 120 Hz low motion feature, which I like. I do not see any artifacts at all with the set in game mode.

4) The set seems to be stable on its stand. However, just to make sure it doesn't topple (for example, during an earthquake), I put industrial strength velcro strips on the bottom of the stand and mated it to the TV stand. Unless the house is turned upside down, it isn't going anywhere.

5) Although the 80" set has only 32% more screen area than the 70", there is definitely more of a sense of immersion. My viewing area is 15' away, and everything looks interesting on this set. I was able to compare the 80" directly with other TV's at the Best Buy/Magnolia store in Honolulu last week, and very few people were even looking at the myriad other displays on the wall. No other display had a better picture, and the 80" was captivating.

6) I spent much of Saturday playing with settings, and could probably have spent all year. It is hard to say what is the most "natural", as practically all TV shows, commercials, and movies are heavily color graded. I settled for simplicity: Standard Mode, all settings at detent (0), except contast is set at 28 and backlight at +2, 120 Hz low, light sensor "off", digital noise reduction "low", and color temperature "medium".

7) This set is a winner. I can't imagine the upcoming 80" 844 Quattron model having a better picture. It better have more than a fancy aluminum bezel to justify the extra $grand. I like the black plastic bezel on the 632 model, and of course, the illuminated Star Trek chevron at the bottom is cool.

8) The summer Olympics, baseball, football, basketball, and hockey are going to look great on this set! I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but the Daytona race on Saturday was spectacular.

9) I know that approximately $4 grand is a large amount of money, relatively speaking. But it seems to be a fantastic bargain for what you are getting with this TV. It is hard to believe that Sharp is making a profit on it. Given the fact that a year ago the largest flat panel TV available (70" Sony XBR7) was $22,000, I think that Sharp is to be commended for making something like this available to the general public.
post #1220 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM

That was an excelllent review. I personally was amazed at how shakey the TV was on it's base. I'm sure it was secure but it bothered me. I was surprised by how light the base was compared to the base from my 58" Plasma. I ultimately mounted the 80 on the wall but I did so more for appearance than the lack of stability. I had my 58 on a stand and fully planned to put the 80 on the stand but it just overpowered the room. I am very happy with the way it looks mounted on the wall.
post #1221 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was an excelllent review. I personally was amazed at how shakey the TV was on it's base. I'm sure it was secure but it bothered me. I was surprised by how light the base was compared to the base from my 58" Plasma. I ultimately mounted the 80 on the wall but I did so more for appearance than the lack of stability. I had my 58 on a stand and fully planned to put the 80 on the stand but it just overpowered the room. I am very happy with the way it looks mounted on the wall.

Photos PLEASE !

Mike

post #1222 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Pretty much what I have been saying since late October

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrbaughra View Post

The 80" Sharp was at my house when I returned from travel on Friday. I removed the 70" Quattron from the TV stand and set the 80" up on Saturday with the help of my nephew. A few observations:

1) Suprisingly, given the size, the picture quality of the 80" is at least as good as the 70". This thing is so bright that the sunlight coming in through multiple windows in the living room is not a problem. It is razor "sharp" and crystal clear. Color saturation is fantastic. The overall reaction from several people who have seen it is "stunning".

2) I thought that black levels on the 70" were terrific, but the 80" is even better. Black is absolutely black on the 80". I watched selected space scenes from some movies that I use as a black reference (e.g. the beginning of "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" section of 2001: A Space Odyssey just before the "light trip") and there was not even a hint of any "non-blackness". The black background behind the actors during interviews on the Oscars last night was perfect. I don't see how this set would benefit from a local dimming feature.

3) The 80" handles motion better than the 70". Although not perfect, I do not see the same exaggerated artifacts with moving footballs and golfballs when using the 120 Hz low motion feature, which I like. I do not see any artifacts at all with the set in game mode.

4) The set seems to be stable on its stand. However, just to make sure it doesn't topple (for example, during an earthquake), I put industrial strength velcro strips on the bottom of the stand and mated it to the TV stand. Unless the house is turned upside down, it isn't going anywhere.

5) Although the 80" set has only 32% more screen area than the 70", there is definitely more of a sense of immersion. My viewing area is 15' away, and everything looks interesting on this set. I was able to compare the 80" directly with other TV's at the Best Buy/Magnolia store in Honolulu last week, and very few people were even looking at the myriad other displays on the wall. No other display had a better picture, and the 80" was captivating.

6) I spent much of Saturday playing with settings, and could probably have spent all year. It is hard to say what is the most "natural", as practically all TV shows, commercials, and movies are heavily color graded. I settled for simplicity: Standard Mode, all settings at detent (0), except contast is set at 28 and backlight at +2, 120 Hz low, light sensor "off", digital noise reduction "low", and color temperature "medium".

7) This set is a winner. I can't imagine the upcoming 80" 844 Quattron model having a better picture. It better have more than a fancy aluminum bezel to justify the extra $grand. I like the black plastic bezel on the 632 model, and of course, the illuminated Star Trek chevron at the bottom is cool.

8) The summer Olympics, baseball, football, basketball, and hockey are going to look great on this set! I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but the Daytona race on Saturday was spectacular.

9) I know that approximately $4 grand is a large amount of money, relatively speaking. But it seems to be a fantastic bargain for what you are getting with this TV. It is hard to believe that Sharp is making a profit on it. Given the fact that a year ago the largest flat panel TV available (70" Sony XBR7) was $22,000, I think that Sharp is to be commended for making something like this available to the general public.

post #1223 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Pretty much what I have been saying since late October

Seems that Sharp is producing a Display that is consistent across most if not all the units.
got my shipping notice ,should have mine on the wall by next week ......................

Mike

post #1224 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Photos PLEASE !

I'll try to post some when I get home from work today, but pictures won't do it justice.
post #1225 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM

I couldnt find a picture of the set sitting on the stand for comparison.

The set is almost as wide as the wall.The mount is a tilt model
post #1226 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
"Pretty much what I have been saying since late October "

yup, and to think that we have nothing to complain about on this thread. it's a nice breath of fresh air for once. wish we could say the same about the Elite.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1227 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

"Pretty much what I have been saying since late October "

yup, and to think that we have nothing to complain about on this thread. it's a nice breath of fresh air for once. wish we could say the same about the Elite.

Yeah I can't help but think that the new 844 80" might have some of the same issues they are having with the Elites !?
that is just one of the reasons I decided to Not Wait ..
there are just 623 80" Happy Campers & no bitching at all

Costco had a 80 " next to a Sharp 70" Quattron & a 65" Plasma same feed & the 80" had inky blacks that were not crushed ,the others couldn't hold the blacks
My worry was standing 4 feet away & seeing a terriable look on the 80" & that didn't happen even @ 3 feet away . I must have looked strange walking off the distance in the store ..L O L but for this amount of CashI do my research ....
I know it's just a Costco feed so You can't read alot into that ...

Mike

post #1228 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I couldnt find a picture of the set sitting on the stand for comparison.

The set is almost as wide as the wall.The mount is a tilt model

After seeing you're wall mount I'm ditching the stand. This looks great.
post #1229 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM

I pulled the trigger on the 80 inch Sharp after being a long time Sony loyal customer. Previously owned a 65 XBR2 CRT RP for about 2 years which was exchanged for a 70 XBR950 LCD RP that developed the warped door/blue blob issue and I cannot be happier. From a performance perspective, from a value perspective, I find the set is excellent. Thanks for all the positive comments here that helped shape my decision as I was contemplating the Sony 65 HX929.
post #1230 of 3283 Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trehouse View Post

After seeing you're wall mount I'm ditching the stand. This looks great.

As I said if you dont need tilt.check out the Sanus ll11
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page