Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@rage2: What is the make of the stand you have it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
@ Rage2

how is the PQ when viewing a up-processed signal as in SD & 720P ??

How a up-processed SD DVD look like in PQ ?

How's the Blu-Rays look ?

a guy on the Elite thread said that 720 & SD looked terrible on this 80" as in blurred/Fuzzy with this display as he was comparing it in-store with an 70" Elite
.. Your CNN shot looks beautiful is that cable,OTA,DirecTV ????

how far away do You sit from the Display ?

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #153 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

@rage2: What is the make of the stand you have it on?

Won't let me post links (I'm a newbie), but google up Sonax FB-2607.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

how is the PQ when viewing a up-processed signal as in SD & 720P ??

How a up-processed SD DVD look like in PQ ?

How's the Blu-Rays look ?

a guy on the Elite thread said that 720 & SD looked terrible on this 80" as in blurred/Fuzzy with this display as he was comparing it in-store with an 70" Elite
.. Your CNN shot looks beautiful is that cable,OTA,DirecTV ????

how far away do You sit from the Display ?

Phew, lemme answer all those. The CNN shot is off DirecTV. My couch is around 15ft from the display. Image quality based on source, here's a rundown:

Digital SD (DirecTV, Bell ExpressVu) - Pretty bad. Mpeg artifacts are huge and in your face. I really don't watch SD much anyways. If I sit further, it goes away. This TV, from such close viewing distances, really isn't designed for low quality inputs.

DVD SD upscaled - A little better than Digital SD. Blurry.

720p (Bell ExpressVu) - You can definately see the difference in sharpness between 720p and 1080i sources. With my last TV (JVC 70") you can tell, but it's not noticable unless you're looking for it. Now, you can clearly see that difference and viewers will bring it up. Basically, 720p looks slightly blurry.

1080i (DirecTV) - This is the minimum resolution you need your source to be for this TV IMO. I believe DirecTV uses 1440x1080i resolution which gets upscaled to proper 1080i resolution for output. I had to turn on noise reduction to high, and sharpness down to +1 or 0 in order to "hide" the compression artifacts around moving objects. Too bad I'm in Canada, would love to get FiOS and high bandwidth HD here. Our fiber TV provider (Telus) only outputs in 720p. What a waste.

Blu-Ray - Simply stunning. Movies filmed on film, you can see the film grain nice and clear, so it looks like, well, a film haha. Pixar and other animated films looks ridiculously sharp.

For the first time, I have an actual need for better source material. I guess 70" is the limit for the quality of HD that I'm getting from Satellite providers.
post #154 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Won't let me post links (I'm a newbie), but google up Sonax FB-2607.

Phew, lemme answer all those. The CNN shot is off DirecTV. My couch is around 15ft from the display. Image quality based on source, here's a rundown:

Digital SD (DirecTV, Bell ExpressVu) - Pretty bad. Mpeg artifacts are huge and in your face. I really don't watch SD much anyways. If I sit further, it goes away. This TV, from such close viewing distances, really isn't designed for low quality inputs.

720p (Bell ExpressVu) - You can definately see the difference in sharpness between 720p and 1080i sources. With my last TV (JVC 70") you can tell, but it's not noticable unless you're looking for it. Now, you can clearly see that difference and viewers will bring it up. Basically, 720p looks slightly blurry.

1080i (DirecTV) - This is the minimum resolution you need your source to be for this TV IMO. I believe DirecTV uses 1440x1080i resolution which gets upscaled to proper 1080i resolution for output. I had to turn on noise reduction to high, and sharpness down to +1 or 0 in order to "hide" the compression artifacts around moving objects. Too bad I'm in Canada, would love to get FiOS and high bandwidth HD here. Our fiber TV provider (Telus) only outputs in 720p. What a waste.

Blu-Ray - Simply stunning. Movies filmed on film, you can see the film grain nice and clear, so it looks like, well, a film haha. Pixar and other animated films looks ridiculously sharp.

For the first time, I have an actual need for better source material. I guess 70" is the limit for the quality of HD that I'm getting from Satellite providers.

a up-scaler is your next purchase then , My Onkyo AVR TX-NR5008 up-scales DTV very well to 1080P & as does my Sony Blu-Ray player, SD DVD's look pretty crisp as well .. I have a 60" Sharp right now Love IT ! saving cash right now for this beast

Mike

post #155 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Distance is a girl's best friend.

Thanks for the review, Rage2.
post #156 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info, and the pics. You can never have too many pics of this beast.

Next TV I buy will hopefully be this one. It won't be until we move next year, but I'm already planning.
post #157 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

My current 70" is also a JVC (LCoS) and I sit about 12' from the screen. Based on your comments perhaps I should reconsider getting the 80" Sharp and stick with a 70" Sharp.

On the other hand, it's my wife that watches a fair bit of digital SD (TV Land and a few other channels). I pretty much only watch HD sources. She's not all that picky about image quality so maybe an 80" will work after all?

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #158 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I had my set delivered yesterday. This is by far the most difficult TV I've had to calibrate. Every change I made seemed to have a domino effect, which needed compensation in other settings. Took 4 hrs to get it right.

Anyways, here's a screenshot:

And here are my settings:

Mode Movie
OPC Off
Backlight +8
Contrast +30
Brightness -6
Color 0
Tint +1
Sharpness +1
CMS Hue
R +12
Y -30
G 0
C 0
B 0
M 0
CMS Saturation
R -6
Y -2
G -18
C -9
B 0
M -14
CMS Value
R +19
Y 0
G -30
C 0
B 0
M 0
Color Temp Low
R Gain (LO) -7
G Gain (LO) -6
B Gain (LO) -11
R Gain (HI) -5
G Gain (HI) -5
B Gain (HI) -7
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Low
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjust +2
Film Mode Standard
Digital Noise Reduction High
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC
Max +12
Min +8

Let me know how the settings look for you. Curious how well they translate to other sets.

1. Guess that BB's (where I may buy) hour and a half (max time) calibration is out for this set??
2. Watch a lot of movies and wonder if this setting works for you for both blu-ray as well as older dvd's?
post #159 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I was. Chris was up till the wee hours of the morning.

When I get pumped up about a review, especially for a TV I like, it's like drinking a Red Bull.
Plus it's good to get the evaluation done when it's dark outside since I don't have total light control.

Several forum responders (including this forum) mentioned that this 80 incher was particularly difficult to calibrate. (in terms of time. etc.) Did you find this true and if so do you have any thoughts as to why? Also, what about difficulty in calibrating the other 70 inchers from Sharp in relation to the 80?
post #160 of 3283 Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can someone give me the dimensions of the box the set is shipped in? I'm hoping it will fit in my brother's full size van so I can save $100. I only live about 5 Min. from the store where I bought it.Thanks.
post #161 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rage just curious as a fellow canadian where you purchased it?
post #162 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Can someone give me the dimensions of the box the set is shipped in? I'm hoping it will fit in my brother's full size van so I can save $100. I only live about 5 Min. from the store where I bought it.Thanks.

No free delivery? I would go back to the store to negotiate this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #163 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanx Rage2 for all the great answers to my Questions ..... how are you liking the set now that it's been a few days to settle in a new display ? I find that after a while you really pick up on things that one didn't notice before.

Mike

post #164 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

a up-scaler is your next purchase then , My Onkyo AVR TX-NR5008 up-scales DTV very well to 1080P & as does my Sony Blu-Ray player, SD DVD's look pretty crisp as well .. I have a 60" Sharp right now Love IT ! saving cash right now for this beast

Maybe I'm just picky... but I have never seen a DVD through an upscaler that's impressed me. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

My current 70" is also a JVC (LCoS) and I sit about 12' from the screen. Based on your comments perhaps I should reconsider getting the 80" Sharp and stick with a 70" Sharp.

On the other hand, it's my wife that watches a fair bit of digital SD (TV Land and a few other channels). I pretty much only watch HD sources. She's not all that picky about image quality so maybe an 80" will work after all?

That's the exact same setup I had (JVC HD70FH97). If your wife isn't picky about image quality, then get the 80". The BD performance at that size is well worth it. I got my parents the 70" Sharp earlier in the year, and I didn't replace my JVC with it. Didn't think it was worth the upgrade. Glad I held out, because I had no idea the 80" was coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

1. Guess that BB's (where I may buy) hour and a half (max time) calibration is out for this set??
2. Watch a lot of movies and wonder if this setting works for you for both blu-ray as well as older dvd's?

My calibration was done during the day time, and so far it looks just as good at night (haven't verified actual measurements). My living room has 14 large windows, so there is zero ability to control light. Right now I'm using it to watch movies (new and old), TV. Haven't played games on it yet. Just watched Kill Bill and Rocky 3 as a reference, and colors are spot on. Watching Forrest Gump now. Have yet to encounter a scene that looks off.

Still waiting for someone to try the settings out. Like I said, curious how well the settings translate set to set.
post #165 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanx Rage2 for all the great answers to my Questions ..... how are you liking the set now that it's been a few days to settle in a new display ? I find that after a while you really pick up on things that one didn't notice before.

Very happy with the purchase! Just annoyed with how long it took to calibrate, other than that, it's been pretty perfect.

Will post more impressions of the TV when I play some F1 2011, COD, and watch some F1 and Hockey on there.

Oh, one issue that I found... off axis performance. There's 3 sweet spots to watch the TV from the couches. At around 30 degrees angle, the fleshtones are way off. There's a huge blue or cyan push at an angle. I get the best spot anyways, so it doesn't bother me too much haha.
post #166 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Went by HH Gregg in Evansville, Indiana today. They had the 80 inch, and it's size is glorious. They had some 65 inchers set up beside it, and it dwarfed them. I can only imagine how big this thing looks in a living room.
post #167 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

No free delivery? I would go back to the store to negotiate this.

I agree but that includes unboxing it and installing and setting up. Don't really need the extra service but at least it justifies the price. I know the TV is about 45" high with the stand so I would guess the overall height in the box is about 54" or so...... I hope someone can confirm for me.
post #168 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Ok ChadB just finished the calibration. This is such a beautiful, epic panel. He was able to get a contrast ratio measurement that turned out to surprise the both of us. Going to let him post the numbers though as I know he was eager to get that update out there!

Thanks Chad!
post #169 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Several forum responders (including this forum) mentioned that this 80 incher was particularly difficult to calibrate. (in terms of time. etc.) Did you find this true and if so do you have any thoughts as to why? Also, what about difficulty in calibrating the other 70 inchers from Sharp in relation to the 80?

No, not very difficult at all. The only hiccup is the slightly quirky CMS adjustment, and the red tint that has to go against the measurements in order to get it to look realistic. That's a longtime Sharp quirk. Not a big deal though.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #170 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonik View Post

Ok ChadB just finished the calibration. This is such a beautiful, epic panel. He was able to get a contrast ratio measurement that turned out to surprise the both of us. Going to let him post the numbers though as I know he was eager to get that update out there!

Thanks Chad!

Updated the review with the contrast ratio measurement. Woo-hoo!

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #171 of 3283 Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM

New owner here. Just joined AV Forum too.

I took the plunge and just bought the Sharp LC80LE632U.

Its going to be delivered in a couple of days.

I am going from Sony XBR 52" 120 htz LCD to this.

I have Plex running on my HTPC Mac Mini with Drobo.

My Mac Mini is connecting via VGA to HDTV and 3.5mm audio jack to optical convertor into my sound system. I am starting to think I may need to upgrade my Mac Mini to the newer HDMI out version. I am not sure if there is a better picture with HDMI out on Mac Mini to this new Sharp.

I have a lot of HD content (mkv) and am slightly worried about how bad this new TV is going to make my SD content look. DVD rips and other SD content. I am not sure if running the Mac Mini HDMI through an amp with AV upscaling would work for those DVDs.

I will try the above settings from the earlier contributor. As you can probably tell I am not a huge vid/audio phile. I don't even have a great 5.1 HT. I guess thats going to be next. I listened to this TV in the store and it wasn't great.

The picture looked incredible though. I just hope they don't bring out a 240 htz version for the same price. I am not fussed on 3D. I looked at he LGs and considered the LG 72" with passive glasses but once I saw this beauty, saw how bright it is and how HUGE it is, I couldn't resist.
post #172 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkedup1 View Post

New owner here. Just joined AV Forum too.

I took the plunge and just bought the Sharp LC80LE632U.

Its going to be delivered in a couple of days.

I am going from Sony XBR 52" 120 htz LCD to this.

I have Plex running on my HTPC Mac Mini with Drobo.

My Mac Mini is connecting via VGA to HDTV and 3.5mm audio jack to optical convertor into my sound system. I am starting to think I may need to upgrade my Mac Mini to the newer HDMI out version. I am not sure if there is a better picture with HDMI out on Mac Mini to this new Sharp.

I have a lot of HD content (mkv) and am slightly worried about how bad this new TV is going to make my SD content look. DVD rips and other SD content. I am not sure if running the Mac Mini HDMI through an amp with AV upscaling would work for those DVDs.

I will try the above settings from the earlier contributor. As you can probably tell I am not a huge vid/audio phile. I don't even have a great 5.1 HT. I guess thats going to be next. I listened to this TV in the store and it wasn't great.

The picture looked incredible though. I just hope they don't bring out a 240 htz version for the same price. I am not fussed on 3D. I looked at he LGs and considered the LG 72" with passive glasses but once I saw this beauty, saw how bright it is and how HUGE it is, I couldn't resist.

Awesome. Let us know how good porn looks on this bad boy.
post #173 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i seen this tv at bb it look bad the blacks look gray the sceen look dim with no remote around to adjust humm
post #174 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408wd1 View Post

i seen this tv at bb it look bad the blacks look gray the sceen look dim with no remote around to adjust humm

can somebody translate what was just said?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #175 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
easy, he saw an out of the box tv with no settings probably showing a feed that was split a 100 times over. Translation: Does no one any good to even post comments like that other than to show how badly BB presents its tv's
post #176 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

easy, he saw an out of the box tv with no settings probably showing a feed that was split a 100 times over. Translation: Does no one any good to even post comments like that other than to show how badly BB presents its tv's

BB usually have bad feeds for TVs. Their demo don't do any TV justice.
post #177 of 3283 Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM

I am having second thought now. Buyers remorse. Considering canceling my order and getting a refund. I went back to another store today and I saw it again. I am worried.. Its just too big! Is embarrassingly big! Considering going back to a 70.
post #178 of 3283 Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow and i want a 90 inch to replace my front projector screen which is only 92.

The lcd world here is so different here on this part of the forum. Your embarassed your tv looks so big? People in the projector area would tell me a tv even at 80inch is to small compared to 92.
*confused*

Also is anyone familiar with highpower screens, is the drop off as bad off axis as a highpower projector screen? My highpower has amazing gain, but if i move 2-3 feet to the side the brightness drops off quite a bit. I dont know if lcd is that bad??
post #179 of 3283 Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

It is a digitally modulated signal transmitted over coax. The split would have no effect unless signal was low, which would be very apparent. While there are some source issues on some of the clips, the PQ isn't that bad. Also, as these are displayed only in Magnolia stores, there should be a direcTV feed available.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #180 of 3283 Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

It is a digitally modulated signal transmitted over coax. The split would have no effect unless signal was low, which would be very apparent. While there are some source issues on some of the clips, the PQ isn't that bad. Also, as these are displayed only in Magnolia stores, there should be a direcTV feed available.

Went to the Mag store at Pittsburgh Mills - here's a shot of the 80 running the Quattron demo disc..Very good color in auto mode out of the box. Next time I go in to eval the set, I'll play around with the settings...

I was looking at the 70 inch to replace my Mits 65" DLP, but the 80 would actually fit. Slightly wider and taller than the Mits. A heck of a lot thinner.
LL

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page