post #1861 of 3283 Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

The maker of this set is not known to have the best of quality.......

Not Ready For Prime Time !

I would not hold my breath on this product ... New to market MFGer.. Hmmmm....
I'll take a Free Sample to test for the US market !!

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 3283 Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just tried this... entered LC80LE844U and it said Model # not recognized???
post #1863 of 3283 Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
its not in the system yet. Call the 800 number listed and the reps will do it for you at the discount price
post #1864 of 3283 Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

its not in the system yet. Call the 800 number listed and the reps will do it for you at the discount price

Thanks man...
It's not here yet I was just trying to get a head start
post #1865 of 3283 Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Thanks man...
It's not here yet I was just trying to get a head start

you need the s/n# anyway

Mike

post #1866 of 3283 Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered mine from BuySquad.com!
I just took the free shipping, so it'll get here in a week or so. $3,884 was my cost.

I'm really excited. I read tons of impressions and reviews.

However, can someone comment on something please? Right when I bought it I told some people on another message board, and one guy thinks it's REALLY stupid that I got a 120Hz LED. He was pretty rude and pretty much thinks it was a mistake.

It's not going to be THAT bad, is it?
Before this my HDTV was a 58" Panasonic 1080P Plasma.

Thanks for reading
post #1867 of 3283 Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkeyCrap View Post

Hi Everyone,

I just took the free shipping, so it'll get here in a week or so. $3,884 was my cost.

However, can someone comment on something please? Right when I bought it I told some people on another message board, and one guy thinks it's REALLY stupid that I got a 120Hz LED. He was pretty rude and pretty much thinks it was a mistake.

Thanks for reading

I have a 120Hz and a 240Hz (3D) TV. Can't tell the difference and I've read that as well. The 240Hz may be better for 3D but not sure. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1868 of 3283 Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading

every 240hz LCD Display I've had I've turned it off & ran 120==> PQ is just better.
less processing is better trust me on this ,

there is always somebody who likes to rain on peoples happiness , the dude can't afford one so he's out to mess with your head .
I love the 632 80" it's a great Display & you got one for a Great price. they do take some messing & tinkering to get a great PQ but with all the guys on this thread who bend over backwards to help ,I'm sure you have your Beast in tip top PQ very Quickly ,, Dude the thing is a Total Beast over a 58" Display ....
Report back when the Display shows up ! Pix or it didn't happen ....

Mike

post #1869 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

The maker of this set is not known to have the best of quality.......

Yep ! TCL = RCA
post #1870 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

Yep ! TCL = RCA

In for 47
post #1871 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

every 240hz LCD Display I've had I've turned it off & ran 120==> PQ is just better.
less processing is better trust me on this ,

there is always somebody who likes to rain on peoples happiness , the dude can't afford one so he's out to mess with your head .
I love the 632 80" it's a great Display & you got one for a Great price. they do take some messing & tinkering to get a great PQ but with all the guys on this thread who bend over backwards to help ,I'm sure you have your Beast in tip top PQ very Quickly ,, Dude the thing is a Total Beast over a 58" Display ....
Report back when the Display shows up ! Pix or it didn't happen ....

Must disagree - the PQ has nothing to do with the Hz but other factors but my point (and being a non Sharp owner so forgive me I like this thread)is that there is no discernible difference between 120 and 240Hz that I can tell.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1872 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM

thanks guys for the replies. I'm really excited!

post21749374 is the thread where I'll get started for settings (I'd post the link but I'm so new it wont let me)

Good start, or are there "better" ones now?

Also, Do I need to break in this TV like I did my Plasma?
I took my Plasma SUPER serious and for several days had one of those discs playing that shuffled through different colors.

Thanks!
(sorry I don't have much to offer but questions....and then pics eventually when it's setup)
post #1873 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

thanks guys for the replies. I'm really excited!

post21749374 is the thread where I'll get started for settings (I'd post the link but I'm so new it wont let me)

Good start, or are there "better" ones now?

Also, Do I need to break in this TV like I did my Plasma?
I took my Plasma SUPER serious and for several days had one of those discs playing that shuffled through different colors.

Thanks!
(sorry I don't have much to offer but questions....and then pics eventually when it's setup)

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your Kool-Aid!

The link would have been to the settings thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398643

Break in is NOT required.

I am about ready to try some of the settings posted on AVS forum as well...
To my untrained eye, my set looks great as is...So, I plan to document the before and after settings, just in case!~YMMV, YNNFS etc. etc.

Here is one piece of advice...Before mounting your set, or even setting it on your credenza, take a good digital picture of the manufacturers plate, located in the center of the back of the set. This will be needed to BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOUR SERIAL NUMBER JIBES WITH ALL THE OTHER PLACES IT IS LOCATED... (I wish I had done that!)
post #1874 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I have a 120Hz and a 240Hz (3D) TV. Can't tell the difference and I've read that as well. The 240Hz may be better for 3D but not sure. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

You might want to jump in in the 80LE844U owners thread. Same concerns being expressed there.
post #1875 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Bri

Did any of you get a confirmation email from Sharp when you registered? I registered and never received a confirmation email. When I signed up for the "aquosadvantage" I instantly received a confirmation email.

Thank you.
post #1876 of 3283 Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post

Did any of you get a confirmation email from Sharp when you registered? I registered and never received a confirmation email. When I signed up for the "aquosadvantage" I instantly received a confirmation email.

Thank you.

that's your conformation email ... you did get the user name for yourself & a password right ?
Did you buy a extended warranty ?
the registration email should be titled as "Sharp-Aquos Advantage Adminstrative account " have a user name & a temporary password , best to reset the password & check that your info is correct as my name was spelled wrong & i couldn't edit it as well , so I opened up the chat box & a CR helped me enter the correct info , Easy & they were really nice ..
make sure & double check your s/n# is correct as well
better safe than sorry !

Mike

post #1877 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Please keep in mind that I do not own the 80" and the following information is based upon the 60" 632 so YMMV.

The best flat gamma from Game mode is about 1.8 so the only way to obtain something closer to 2.2 is by using active contrast which results in an S shaped gamma with an average close to 2.2. Greyscale can be made pretty much right on, I have done Game mode calibrations with

Game mode did not do this previously and the only logical explanation I can come up with is something changed in their most recent firmware update (???).

Jason

Thanks for your response.

So from what I gather game mode can be calibrated to a proper image then? When you say did not do this previously, does this mean previously it was unable to be calibrated properly? I also like a 2.2 or 2.4 gamma.

Does active contrast result in more lag or degrade the image in any way?

Im also just a bit worried from chad b report on the 2nd page where he only calibrated movie mode and it looked good, i have no idea if any input setting could be dialed in like that or not.

I also am worried i may have to run two hdmi cables when i eventually purchase this tv, one movie mode and one game mode. The running of cables becomes a hastle with cabinetry. I had one pre run years ago.
post #1878 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Thanks for your response.

So from what I gather game mode can be calibrated to a proper image then? When you say did not do this previously, does this mean previously it was unable to be calibrated properly? I also like a 2.2 or 2.4 gamma.

Does active contrast result in more lag or degrade the image in any way?

Im also just a bit worried from chad b report on the 2nd page where he only calibrated movie mode and it looked good, i have no idea if any input setting could be dialed in like that or not.

I also am worried i may have to run two hdmi cables when i eventually purchase this tv, one movie mode and one game mode. The running of cables becomes a hastle with cabinetry. I had one pre run years ago.

Actually what I meant was that Game obtained a better D65 calibration previously (and the only thing that changed was a firmware update, at least for me on my 60LE632).

Presently Game mode can only produce a flat gamma of 1.8 and in order to obtain an average close to 2.2 you have to use Active Contrast which results in an S shaped gamma curve. Active Contrast does not create any additional lag from testing on my 60" in Game mode.

Movie mode is the most capable mode as far as absolute accuracy but even then you will not obtain a perfect calibration on these 632 series Sharps as the C.M.S. is not properly implemented (movie mode can get very close, so close that the majority of viewers would have no idea that it was not perfect).

No need to run dual cables to the display, simply switch the mode setting back and forth depending on what you are viewing (each mode can be individually calibrated and used via HDMI 1).

Best of luck,
Jason
post #1879 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again.

Is there discrete buttons for movie mode, game mode? Or do you have to toggle menu options?

It would be nice to program it into my universal remote depending what im using.
post #1880 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
There is an 'AV Mode' button on the remote.

Jason
post #1881 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

There is an 'AV Mode' button on the remote.

Jason

Yes but the reason im asking about discrete codes is to program macros so when i select xbox 360 it goes right to game mode, and when i select blurays it goes to movie mode.

This is not for me but for other people who will use it, smaller children, wife, out of town family members using it while im not around.

Unfortunately doing a search on this im not finding any discrete codes for the av mode selections. Maybe non exist?
post #1882 of 3283 Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Yes but the reason im asking about discrete codes is to program macros so when i select xbox 360 it goes right to game mode, and when i select blurays it goes to movie mode.

This is not for me but for other people who will use it, smaller children, wife, out of town family members using it while im not around.

Unfortunately doing a search on this im not finding any discrete codes for the av mode selections. Maybe non exist?

I have not been able to find a discrete code (that actually works) for TV Tuner either! Input0 is not in the logitech database, and InputTv does not work...

If you find, your codes for AV Mode, please share them here. Someday, I am planning to call Sharp and ask their Tech Support, and I will also ask them about the discrete codes for each AV mode. Either or both of these problems may require a firmware update, if so at least we will be in the queue.
post #1883 of 3283 Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Had this set for a couple of weeks. Bought it from US appliances.
It is a great set. Picture quality is wonderful.

Tnis is my first LCD set (it replaces Samsung B590 63 inch plasma)
-- Blacks are as good as I have seen in any LCD TV. They actually are about the same as "Elite"; of course can not get as great as my B590; but that is not a comparison you can make.
-- Red blush is a problem; it goes away with Suzook's or Pimp's settings, but then it turns "whites" to "yellows". I have found my "sweet point settings" that I will share in settings thread soon.
-- Motion blur is not a problem. No DSE. No ghosting.
-- A-V sync issues: surprizingly goes away when set to "dot by dot" mode. In "strech mode" there is noticeable lag. (Using Yamaha 3000 receiver).

-- No issues with "Fios" source: of course, the best picture you get is with Blu-ray.

-- When I was selecting the set, I gave a thought of buying "elite 70 inch" after seeing on display at BB. But decision was very easy once I saw the "same source" playing on Elite and this set: they both looked the same!! And this set cheaper and much larger: it's a no brainer.

Dont care for 3D personally.

When people say "this set is does not calibrate as well as some other 60 inch sets"; I believe it; this is an entirely different beast; it spreads out same 1080p across much larger areal than 60 inch TV, and so you can never compare those two sets as to "how they calibrate". This is a pretty darn good set for its size and of course there is no competition out there at this size. I would love to see someone compare 844 with 632/633 at some point and share their thoughts.

I still believe "local dimming" may have future; and my future set will most likely be 100-110 inch with local dimming (hopefully in a couple of years) and also possibly 4k resolution. I have tought time visualizing larger set with same 1080p resolution (probably 80 inch is as large as you can go with that resolution to maintain picture quality).
post #1884 of 3283 Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I just re-mounted my set using the Monoprice 6517 mount. I can confirm that no changes to the mount are needed for the LC80LE632U. Everything works fine from the box. This mount is a beast, solid, great mobility, and easily adjustable.

My previous mount was one I bought from Amazon. It's rated for 220 pounds, but as someone else noticed on their first mount, the metal plate on the TV end was showing signs of distress. There is no way the 6517 is going to stress from this set. Very glad I swapped them out.

My only real issue (one due to my own error) is that I mounted it an inch higher than I wanted it. Nothing catastrophic, but irritating that I measured incorrectly. I could have fixed it, but I really didn't feel like taking it all down and starting over again so it will have to do.
post #1885 of 3283 Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

My only real issue (one due to my own error) is that I mounted it an inch higher than I wanted it. Nothing catastrophic, but irritating that I measured incorrectly. I could have fixed it, but I really didn't feel like taking it all down and starting over again so it will have to do.

I did the same thing in reverse, mounted it 1" too low. I was able to shift to the next lower set of mounting bracket holes on my Sanus to correct it. You can't do the same?
post #1886 of 3283 Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi everyone, first post, long time lurker. I've searched these boards a fair bit for this question and haven't seen it, so here goes. I've been getting ready to pull the trigger on the LC80LE632 for about a month. Was out with the wife and took her by the local BB just to show her what I had in mind. They had the 80 side by side with the LC70LE632. The 80 was underwhelming to say the least compared to the 70.

I know it's only in the store. I know the sets aren't calibrated. I've read posts from people far more knowledgable than I who rave about the 80. BUT, it was night and day. Even my wife said the 80 looked bad. So I went to two other stores to prove myself wrong, and exactly the same thing. In the last store, I had each set hooked up to a blu-ray and then took the same DVD, and the 70 was waaay more sharp and vivid. The 80 looked just...dull.

Never listen to the salespeople, I know. But two of them in two separate stores said that the same number of pixels spread over a larger area = not as sharp a picture, as I messed around with the settings, trying to get the 80 to look better.

I have the room for the 80. I want the 80. The wife wants the 80. Happy to spend the money. But I can't understand why I saw so much of a difference in PQ, especially after all of the research I've done, on this forum and elsewhere that tells me there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

A little help?
post #1887 of 3283 Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycjeff View Post

Hi everyone, first post, long time lurker. I've searched these boards a fair bit for this question and haven't seen it, so here goes. I've been getting ready to pull the trigger on the LC80LE632 for about a month. Was out with the wife and took her by the local BB just to show her what I had in mind. They had the 80 side by side with the LC70LE632. The 80 was underwhelming to say the least compared to the 70.

I know it's only in the store. I know the sets aren't calibrated. I've read posts from people far more knowledgable than I who rave about the 80. BUT, it was night and day. Even my wife said the 80 looked bad. So I went to two other stores to prove myself wrong, and exactly the same thing. In the last store, I had each set hooked up to a blu-ray and then took the same DVD, and the 70 was waaay more sharp and vivid. The 80 looked just...dull.

Never listen to the salespeople, I know. But two of them in two separate stores said that the same number of pixels spread over a larger area = not as sharp a picture, as I messed around with the settings, trying to get the 80 to look better.

I have the room for the 80. I want the 80. The wife wants the 80. Happy to spend the money. But I can't understand why I saw so much of a difference in PQ, especially after all of the research I've done, on this forum and elsewhere that tells me there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

A little help?

......the 632 80" has a better PQ than the 70" 632 . I did the same thing you did went as many stores who had them & in store the 70" looked better the 80"
the 632 80" that was on in each B&M was washed out & soft ... I go back to 632 80" thread look at the photos posted & think "Wow didn't look like that in the store" .
I finally found a Magnolia that had a 80" calibrated next to a 70" & there was the PQ that I had seen on this thread . Sharp,detailed,beautiful dark rich blacks , read Chad's review @ the starting pages of this thread .
I took a leap of faith , got the 632 80" & I'm one Happy Camper , the Masters today looked beautiful on the 80" . I didn't see any shots of the ball leaving a white line trail (Except one mid fairway camera shot that did it every time they showed that hole )
I found that after close review of both sizes on dialed in units (70" vs 80")the 80" had a better PQ , no DSE, no dark corners,( like on the 70"ers) better blacks, no diamond patterns
As I reported in an earlier post one B&M I felt had the 80" settings jacked so the on-sale displays looked better & the salesman was constantly saying that the 80" was garbage ,over priced but he did say he didn't have many in-stock ... Hmmmm I thought ....those guys are as low as used car salesmen in my book ..I've felt that way before .
But back at the Magnolia store that had great PQ the salesman was saying how nice they were & was also pointing at the Elites as well .. & not doing a hard sell ,actually was not even saying much at all but on how nice they were .. that's my story on this display ..
Just came in from watching "Frozen Planet" WOW ! that was great on a large screen ...

Mike

post #1888 of 3283 Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did the same thing in reverse, mounted it 1" too low. I was able to shift to the next lower set of mounting bracket holes on my Sanus to correct it. You can't do the same?

Unfortunately, no. The other holes are too low and I would be in the same situation you were in before your adjustment. Only option is to drill some more holes. It's really not a big deal and there's no negative effect on the image...just irritates me that I measured incorrectly.
post #1889 of 3283 Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by yycjeff View Post

A little help?

As far as brightness and contrast I don't see how any set could look much better than my 632U 80". You DO have to compare sharpness at the correct distance based on the set's size. If you're looking at a 42", 60", 70", and 80" from 5 or 6 feet the 42" will blow them all away. To compare a 70" to an 80" you should be watching the 80" from about 10.5' and the 70" from about 9.3' for a true comparison, assuming primo 1080P source.
post #1890 of 3283 Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
fwt

I posted when I bought this TV a month ago. Went through the same quandry. Ended up buying at H H Gregg, where they had it connected to a better source than BB; and they were willing to deal. Absolutely no regrets. Mostly watch blu ray movies, and everyone who sees it is blown away. Aquos support is most helpful; and the settings on this website are spot on. Get the best price and buy it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page