post #1921 of 3284 Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

To a point I agree with what you and others are saying, but if it's not "the perfect setting" and would only be a good starting point, what real value does it have? I mean, while it would be a better starting point if you're willing to settle for a "to my eyes" setting, the perfect picture would still take a professional calibration.

I say starting point instead of perfect point because every TV that comes off the assembly line most likely will have some small variances. The old "no two snowflakes are exactly alike". But if they took any sample and calibrated it and used those setting as the suggested MRS setting then some small adjustments should be able to get a terrific picture that would be as close as an individual would care to the technically correct MRS. Most of us have slightly different preferences anyway but knowing we were starting from known quantity would be nice. Like I said, not sure professional calibrators would appreciate this setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 3284 Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question and also easy one. I have been and for awhile now using suzooks settings and love them. But i have been reading that I should change my tv setting to dot to dot. I have no clue on how to do this. I tried to find this setting but couldnt find it. Could somebody tell me how to make this change to see if it makes an even sharper picture. Thanks.
post #1923 of 3284 Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkserpant View Post

Quick question and also easy one. I have been and for awhile now using suzooks settings and love them. But i have been reading that I should change my tv setting to dot to dot. I have no clue on how to do this. I tried to find this setting but couldnt find it. Could somebody tell me how to make this change to see if it makes an even sharper picture. Thanks.

Look for view mode on the remote and voila
post #1924 of 3284 Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkserpant View Post

find the "View Mode" button on the remote,(near the lower part under the 4 way toggle ) press that, a window will open & toggle down to "Dot to Dot " select . done !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1925 of 3284 Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

find the "View Mode" button on the remote,(near the lower part under the 4 way toggle ) press that, a window will open & toggle down to "Dot to Dot " select . done !

What he said
post #1926 of 3284 Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

I was speaking of a computer accurate setting that renders color exactly as it should be. No reason why it can't be done via a chip in the tv. The correct color timing could be telecast and the tv could adjust to what the broadcaster or content provider considers to be ideal. You can take a paint sample to any paint store have it analyzed and walk out with a perfect color match every time. Amazing that with current technology that a tv out of the box doesn't have perfect color the moment it's turned on. I would think that a tv manufacturer that could advertise their tv to have perfect color every time would surely sell a lot of tvs.

I do believe what you're asking is a lot more difficult than you imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I say starting point instead of perfect point because every TV that comes off the assembly line most likely will have some small variances. The old "no two snowflakes are exactly alike". But if they took any sample and calibrated it and used those setting as the suggested MRS setting then some small adjustments should be able to get a terrific picture that would be as close as an individual would care to the technically correct MRS. Most of us have slightly different preferences anyway but knowing we were starting from known quantity would be nice. Like I said, not sure professional calibrators would appreciate this setting.

I agree, the adjustment for those wanting a natural, accurate picture would be easier. But I imagine those folks, like us here at AVS, are the exception, meaning there are probably far too many viewers that prefer a picture at 8500K and grossly adjusted in general to make such an effort by the manufacturer worthwhile.
post #1927 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 AM

Liked: 15
[quote=FltTester;21900805]I do believe what you're asking is a lot more difficult than you imagine.

I know it would require some computer power but that is relatively cheap these days when just about everything has a built in computer chip. As to people preferring to set their own color, that would be easiest of all, simply disengage the auto color set chip. Many people do this all the time on their audio equipment when they either use or don't use the (audyssey etc.) in their receiver.

When you go to a movie theater you see a print that was color timed as determined by the makers of the movie and I don't hear anybody complaining about theater color being lousy.

It just seems utterly barbaric to me that color televisions don't have perfect color right out of the box, especially high end tvs.
post #1928 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just seems utterly barbaric to me that color televisions don't have perfect color right out of the box, especially high end tvs.

I tend to agree. I mean we do have audio correction software in our Receivers/Pre-pros, why not something akin to that in a TV? I don't think it's unreasonable.
post #1929 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Great statement. Made my morning.
post #1930 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post

Great statement. Made my morning.

Hah !
Think about the persons that are more than willing to shell out 10K for a 80" Elite & then have to pay extra just to have the thing fine tuned for color & PQ ....

Mike

post #1931 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Bri

I agree. A simple $300 AVR has a mic and tunes itself for any given room. Why can't a $4000 TV have a puck and tune itself from time to time?
post #1932 of 3284 Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Not to bring ants to the picnic but many projectors offer factory presets that are almost right on the money. And many of those don't cost as much as these big HDtv's.

I have been saying this for a while, it's all due to a bright vivid candy colored look that drives sales for these modern hdtv's (especially LCD's, which outsell plasma by a huge margin).

Jason
post #1933 of 3284 Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can somebody please measure the base itself please? I cant find the dimensions of just the base.
post #1934 of 3284 Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Can somebody please measure the base itself please? I cant find the dimensions of just the base.

Width ~28 15/16"
Depth ~16 15/16"
Height ~5/8"

Material = thin, weak, flimsy, shiny, lightweight plastic.
post #1935 of 3284 Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv4xmas View Post

Width ~28 15/16"
Depth ~16 15/16"
Height ~5/8"

Material = thin, weak, flimsy, shiny, lightweight plastic.

Thanks, appreciate it.
post #1936 of 3284 Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody measured color tracking at 75%, 50% and 25% saturation? Does this set have the same non linear tracking issue that plagues the elites described here? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21664644
post #1937 of 3284 Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
Well fellas....its been a couple of weeks since my 80" monster arrived. Believe it or not, I just took it out of the box this weekend. I decided to overhaul my entire living room from the ground up before putting this beast on the wall. So after putting in hardwood maple floors and new paint for the walls, the electronics got the attention finally. The wife is awestruck by the PQ of this display. Quite impressive right out of the box. Overall its a great a great centerpiece to my home theater.
LL
LL

-Just when you think you've caught up with technology, it passes you like you were standing still.-
post #1938 of 3284 Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techjunky2 View Post

Well fellas....its been a couple of weeks since my 80" monster arrived. Believe it or not, I just took it out of the box this weekend. I decided to overhaul my entire living room from the ground up before putting this beast on the wall. So after putting in hardwood maple floors and new paint for the walls, the electronics got the attention finally. The wife is awestruck by the PQ of this display. Quite impressive right out of the box. Overall its a great a great centerpiece to my home theater.

Nicely done!
post #1939 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

yes, very nice... are those loudspeakers KEF'S?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1940 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Makes me wanna upgrade my sound system... lol
post #1941 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yes, very nice... are those loudspeakers KEF'S?

I am pretty sure those are Polks. Nice install - might want to get some wiremold to hide those cables from the tv to the receiver.
post #1942 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nice.....very nice.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #1943 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Yes I am going to get some wiremold to hide the wires....I ran all the speaker wire through the floor so I didnt have time before those pics to go get the wiremold for the only exposed wiring(display to components). I hate exposed wires! YES the speakers I have are all POLK. I am running (4) RTi A9's as my fronts and rears....yes 4 towers. I have the matching CSi A6 as my center channel, and Polks DSW pro600 at sub. I run the setup with a DENON 4308ci Receiver. To be very humble, this setup paired with the 80" le632u, quite simply put, WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!

-Just when you think you've caught up with technology, it passes you like you were standing still.-
post #1944 of 3284 Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I am going to get some wiremold to hide the wires....I ran all the speaker wire through the floor so I didnt have time before those pics to go get the wiremold for the only exposed wiring(display to components). I hate exposed wires! YES the speakers I have are all POLK. I am running (4) RTi A9's as my fronts and rears....yes 4 towers. I have the matching CSi A6 as my center channel, and Polks DSW pro600 at sub. I run the setup with a DENON 4308ci Receiver. To be very humble, this setup paired with the 80" le632u, quite simply put, WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!

Mine will blow girls underwear off !

Sharp 80" 632
AVR Onkyo TX-NR1009
Emotiva UPA-7 & UPA-2 Amps
(had a TX-NR5008 but the Video processing is better in 1009) the AVR is just a Pre-Pro anyway
Sony Blu-Ray
HTPC
4 Modded CornScalas
5 Modded custom built CS-1.5's

Mike

post #1945 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 AM

Just so you know slappy my comment wasnt meant to encourage a " mines bigger than yours contest". As long as you're happy, roll with it. I went with a Sony Dvd player to when my $450.00 Sharp quit doing firmware updates and wouldnt play current discs anymore. That really pissed me off... Anyway slappy, is your wife around when your mega system is blowing girls underwear off? :-D

post #1946 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just so you know slappy my comment wasnt meant to encourage a " mines bigger than yours contest". As long as you're happy, roll with it. I went with a Sony Dvd player to when my $450.00 Sharp quit doing firmware updates and wouldnt play current discs anymore. That really pissed me off... Anyway slappy, is your wife around when your mega system is blowing girls underwear off? :-D

man I was not starting mine is bigger than yours Sorry if I offended you

I was Joking the line "blows off girls underwear" is a old movie Quote .
I was making a jest ... & yes you do have a fine system .
the wife hates anything to do with my systems BUT she said I could do anything I wanted in the Living room ...the Large speakers were here before she was .. not as many, that's true .. ......

Mike

post #1947 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fastslappy,
You know what they're saying at the office... I "disarmed him"!
Rick
post #1948 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Fastslappy,
You know what they're saying at the office... I "disarmed him"!
Rick

I like how he reached for his arm & Raylan pulled it back with that "I don't think so " look

Mike

post #1949 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Yes I am going to get some wiremold to hide the wires

You know, it's not that difficult to run the wires behind the drywall. Wiremold, even color-matched, will still show. I cut upper and lower holes the size of a recpticle box next to a wall stud, mounted plastic boxes with screws through their sides and used plain, solid covers with holes I drilled. Grommets are optional if you file the edges. It's an outside, insulated wall, so I did have to use a fish to pull the wires through, but no big deal. Just a suggestion.
post #1950 of 3284 Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM

Is anyone using this panel @ 9ft seating distance? If so, are you happy or are the pixels too spread out or are there off axis color issues?

I'm thinking about it for an area just for me and my wife. No sports, just BluRay and broadcast. I'm a believer in HUGE for immersion but am concerned that at this distance with this large a screen that we'll both be off axis. Anyone living with this setup?

I'm envious of all of you who have choices in where you can see and buy products. I'm on an out-island in Hawaii where we only have Costco. Their setups are such that you can tell that its a working TV and not much else.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page