post #2071 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post

It has been stated that the extra pixel adds "billions" of additional hues and colors.

L O L ... Sorry ..............
can't help myself ....
that's a marketing Catch phrase

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

L O L ... Sorry ..............
can't help myself ....
that's a marketing Catch phrase

Well regardless of the marketing - the extra pixel actually does do a lot for colors - The current RGB pixel setup pales in comparison to what a RGBY display can output - that is a fact as we all know a color photo machine outputs much better colors with the addition of the extra colors of ink - I was just wondering how the actual display would look compared side by side.
post #2073 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techjunky2 View Post

Does anyone actually own the 844 yet? Alright all of us quattron haters, let em have it!

Yes I own a 844U and was considering the 632 for the bedroom - that is why i asked..
post #2074 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well regardless of the marketing - the extra pixel actually does do a lot for colors - The current RGB pixel setup pales in comparison to what a RGBY display can output - that is a fact as we all know a color photo machine outputs much better colors with the addition of the extra colors of ink - I was just wondering how the actual display would look compared side by side.

all I can say is that most all professional calibrators say that the extra pixel does not add any thing to the PQ , the 3 color pixels can do the same amount of colors as the 4th yellow pixel can.
I know that you have a 844 & you have the set but you really should do your home work on the Quattron 4 color pixels & reality of the 3 color pixels .
If there was a real difference then ALL LCD MFGer's would be using 4 color pixels
on a side note just in size of pixels, 4 color sub pixels are smaller than the sub 3 color pixels , so there is an issue that the because of that the yellow is over dominate in the output as the 3 color pixel can do yellow as well but in a 4 sub pixel they are actually smaller due the added yellow .
Then add in that there is a frame as well that hold the LCD's themselves , & there is more frame work in a 4 color pixel than a 3 color pixel ,more frame work means more area blocking light passing thru ..less light getting to the screen

Mike

post #2075 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

I've been using a 9 foot string of LED warm white Christmas lights for the past 4 months and I love the effect. PLUS - it only used 3 - 4 Watts. Perfect for night viewing. 9 feet is just right for wrapping around the top and almost all the way down the sides. $14 is easy on the wallet as well!

Same here , been using warm LED's for years around the set, had to upsize my 8ft string to 12 ft to wrap around this monster...
post #2076 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

all I can say is that most all professional calibrators say that the extra pixel does not add any thing to the PQ , the 3 color pixels can do the same amount of colors as the 4th yellow pixel can.
I know that you have a 844 & you have the set but you really should do your home work on the Quattron 4 color pixels & reality of the 3 color pixels .
If there was a real difference then ALL LCD MFGer's would be using 4 color pixels
on a side note just in size of pixels, 4 color sub pixels are smaller than the sub 3 color pixels , so there is an issue that the because of that the yellow is over dominate in the output as the 3 color pixel can do yellow as well but in a 4 sub pixel they are actually smaller due the added yellow .
Then add in that there is a frame as well that hold the LCD's themselves , & there is more frame work in a 4 color pixel than a 3 color pixel ,more frame work means more area blocking light passing thru ..less light getting to the screen

I think the 10 point and being able to do isf day mode might give it a slight edge. Since Chad B is the only isf guy out there to do both sets perhaps he can chime in on what his eyes say
post #2077 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now THAT looks interesting! and the price is certainly right. I look forward to hearing how it works out. I'm tempted already.

I will let you know. It will be here Tuesday. I have the same set I bought about six months ago in our kitchen and its very cool. For under 40 you can't go wrong
post #2078 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

here's a report about Chad doing a Calibration on a 845
seem he turns off the Quad pixel plus ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21985494
move back a page & that's where the posting starts on the 845 by Chad
Just for info interest only I'm NOT trying to prove any points here ,just thought it might be interesting for the owners of 80"ers ........ remember this is a Edge lit 70"

Mike

post #2079 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:

here's a report about Chad doing a Calibration on a 845
seem he turns off the Quad pixel plus ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21985494
move back a page & that's where the posting starts on the 845 by Chad
Just for info interest only I'm NOT trying to prove any points here ,just thought it might be interesting for the owners of 80"ers ........ remember this is a Edge lit 70"

An edge lit model can not compare to a 632, or a 844
post #2080 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An edge lit model can not compare to a 632, or a 844

didn't say it did compare ....

Mike

post #2081 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:

all I can say is that most all professional calibrators say that the extra pixel does not add any thing to the PQ , the 3 color pixels can do the same amount of colors as the 4th yellow pixel can .

Of course it can not - why spend and extra 360MM to retool the die to manufacture a four pixel array. Of course it is a marketing tool, but it is also a tecnology advance as well. Are you going to tell me that the difference between a v-6 and a v-8 is just a marketing tool? No it is not, they both have specific purposes.

If the manufacture can afford the cost of the 4 pixel array die they do.

The technology in how LCD panels are manufactured is growing and increasing just like everything else. I wasnt trying to start a debate on IF the fourth pixel is better technology - I wanted to know who has done a side by side comparison - sounds like no-one.
post #2082 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:

didn't say it did compare ....

Then why reference it?
post #2083 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why reference it?

as stated I thought some 80" users would find it interesting . Is there a problem with that ?

Mike

post #2084 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The technology in how LCD panels are manufactured is growing and increasing just like everything else. I wasnt trying to start a debate on IF the fourth pixel is better technology - I wanted to know who has done a side by side comparison - sounds like no-one.

side by side has been done by the professional calibrators that I spoke of ....

Mike

post #2085 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

side by side has been done by the professional calibrators that I spoke of ....

Girls girls your both pretty..... ;-)
post #2086 of 3284 Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes I own a 844U and was considering the 632 for the bedroom - that is why i asked..

Excuse me "High roller"......paying full retail for the brand new 844 tells me that if you are actually considering another 80" set for your (bedroom), you can easily afford to go buy the 632u and do the comparison yourself. If you are happy with the 844, then just buy another one. Maybe scale down and put a 632u in the bathroom....

-Just when you think you've caught up with technology, it passes you like you were standing still.-
post #2087 of 3284 Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:

By the way, if all your hoopla about RGB paling in comparison to RGBY is true, then why even ask if anyone has compared the 844 and the 632 side by side? Obviously then your 844 must be far superior to the 632 due to being a quattron? Right? You dont need us to answer your questions if what you say is "fact" due to comparing photo copiers to LCD panels.

-Just when you think you've caught up with technology, it passes you like you were standing still.-
post #2088 of 3284 Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I just ordered this. Should work out quite nicely

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Now THATS sexy... Purchased. Good link.
post #2089 of 3284 Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Hey Suzook, it seems you have quite a cult following here.....just for fun you should post that you are throwing the 632u off a bridge to see if it floats. I wonder how many of your fans would follow suit? Not that you dont have some good info but it seems like some here follow your lead like its words from JC himself. I like the rope light thing but I'm assuming most of us only need the color white, so all the other stuff it does is really not needed. Plus, its just another thing to plug in. If it was available in just white color and could be remote activated(wireless) then it would be a no brainer.

post #2090 of 3284 Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Suzook, it seems you have quite a cult following here.....just for fun you should post that you are throwing the 632u off a bridge to see if it floats. I wonder how many of your fans would follow suit? Not that you dont have some good info but it seems like some here follow your lead like its words from JC himself. I like the rope light thing but I'm assuming most of us only need the color white, so all the other stuff it does is really not needed. Plus, its just another thing to plug in. If it was available in just white color and could be remote activated(wireless) then it would be a no brainer.

Yes everyone is about to put on their black sneakers......seriously I don't think I have any more presence than anyone else. As for the led lights, I didn't see one with the remote in just white. And 37 bucks isn't a whole ton of cash should I want other colors.

So if your feeling like you want to have religious revival/cult of your own on here by all means please take over
post #2091 of 3284 Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 24
There's no doubt four color components can produce more colors, or if you like, shades of colors, than three. The problem for RGBY, from what I've gathered, is it's compatability with the current RGB standard. That standard is why a film video, or one from a camcorder, or a still from a digital camera displays with correct, natural colors on a TV. RGBY can go beyond the CIE Gamut triangle, but when applied to RGB based material displays incorrect colors, so it has to be curbed, defeating any benefit. Professional reviewers start by calibrating the set to the CIE Gamut and then of course say it has no advantage.
Then there is also the question of just how beneficial that color expansion, if the color standard were increased beyond RGB, would be to the viewing experience. Considering the tremendous cost, I seriously doubt I'll live to see the change.

No one here is JC, and ego trips should be left at the door!!!
post #2092 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

There's no doubt four color components can produce more colors, or if you like, shades of colors, than three. The problem for RGBY, from what I've gathered, is it's compatability with the current RGB standard. That standard is why a film video, or one from a camcorder, or a still from a digital camera displays with correct, natural colors on a TV. RGBY can go beyond the CIE Gamut triangle, but when applied to RGB based material displays incorrect colors, so it has to be curbed, defeating any benefit. Professional reviewers start by calibrating the set to the CIE Gamut and then of course say it has no advantage.
Then there is also the question of just how beneficial that color expansion, if the color standard were increased beyond RGB, would be to the viewing experience. Considering the tremendous cost, I seriously doubt I'll live to see the change.

Your're right "tester", no one here is JC. I really dont see any ego trippers here. I mostly see a bunch of AV dudes sharing ideas and thoughts on their gear. Of course we all have our disagreements, but thats human nature. Suzook, im just teasing you btw, you have obviously quite a rep here and rightfully so. A true asset to the 632u crew.

post #2093 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

all good tech
post #2094 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Keyword, "remote activated". Its worth 37 bones to not have to dig behind and 80"TV to unplug my ambient lighting.
post #2095 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Last I heard, there is no cable, dvd, blue-ray, or other source that contains an expanded gamut that the yellow sub-pixel can take advantage of. That will probably change, at some point, but we're not there yet.
post #2096 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Last I heard, there is no cable, dvd, blue-ray, or other source that contains an expanded gamut that the yellow sub-pixel can take advantage of. That will probably change, at some point, but we're not there yet.

That will depend on the industry accepting the need for the yellow pixel. So far, to my knowledge, the extra pixel has not shown any real improvement to the status quo.

Mike

post #2097 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Pulled the trigger at US Appliance ($3,697) today! Can't wait to get the set!
post #2098 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranAnthony View Post

Pulled the trigger at US Appliance ($3,697) today! Can't wait to get the set!

you will enjoy it !

Mike

post #2099 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Monk View Post

Keyword, "remote activated". Its worth 37 bones to not have to dig behind and 80"TV to unplug my ambient lighting.

Hey monk, what i meant by "remote activated" is not this lighting setup Suzook posted. I recently purchased three individual 12" led strips that are controlled by a one button remote (wireless) that I have hidden near my main seating position. I attached the led strips with two sided tape to the back of the 632u on top and both sides. Each strip runs on 6 AA batteries. I realize its not a solid strip around the whole tv, but it really looks quite good in my opinion.
LL

post #2100 of 3284 Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Your're right "tester", no one here is JC. I really dont see any ego trippers here. I mostly see a bunch of AV dudes sharing ideas and thoughts on their gear. Of course we all have our disagreements, but thats human nature. Suzook, im just teasing you btw, you have obviously quite a rep here and rightfully so. A true asset to the 632u crew.

Quite true. I also appreciate Suzook, billdag and many others' input to this thread. We're family, sort of, but even brothers and sisters do have their spats don't they? The important thing is to keep it in check, which I think we all do pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

That will depend on the industry accepting the need for the yellow pixel. So far, to my knowledge, the extra pixel has not shown any real improvement to the status quo.

Right. Actually, I think the limitations of the human eye may decide the future of any increase of sub-pixels, or the desires of the general public, most of which are not exactly videophiles.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread