Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Did you look for it?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1363281

I couldn't find the 70LE632U model either. I suspect that only the 732U model is available based on the owner's manual downloaded from here.
http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupp...Downloads.aspx
It clearly shows that the same manual is used for both the 60LE632U and the 70LE732U. I see no mention of the Quattron display mentioned in the book. Based on the reviews I've read so far, the Yellow pixel doesn't really do anything to enhance the picture. Don't forget that all the video is transmitted as Red Green Blue so it makes sense that the most accurate color would be generated using the same primary colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3284 Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I look to Sharp going back to the 3 colors & dropping the extra yellow in future models , Then when they release an Elite model without a yellow Pixel then that yellow pixel will be dead across the line up.
IIRC on the Elite's the yellow is off in THX mode . I want a 80" with the Elite's local dimming but with the Sharp brand name on it ... This model of Sharp looks to be a good start in that direction

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #213 of 3284 Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Can someone give me the dimensions of the box the set is shipped in? I'm hoping it will fit in my brother's full size van so I can save $100. I only live about 5 Min. from the store where I bought it.Thanks.

Measured the box when the TV showed up. For those interested, it is exactly 49x12x80"
post #214 of 3284 Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I couldn't find the 70LE632U model either. I suspect that only the 732U model is available based on the owner's manual downloaded from here.
It clearly shows that the same manual is used for both the 60LE632U and the 70LE732U. I see no mention of the Quattron display mentioned in the book. Based on the reviews I've read so far, the Yellow pixel doesn't really do anything to enhance the picture. Don't forget that all the video is transmitted as Red Green Blue so it makes sense that the most accurate color would be generated using the same primary colors.

Today Sears was advertising the lc-70le632u so I went to see it. It was NOT on display but salesman (15 years selling tv's for what that's worth) claimed that it was identical to the lc-70le732u he did have on display EXCEPT no 4 color.
post #215 of 3284 Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone comment on how using either the 80 or the 70 performs as a PC/Computer Monitor? Is it just too pixelated for this size @ 1080p because if not then I will definitely be upgrading from my 60" to one of these.
post #216 of 3284 Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Loving my new 80" but...

I noticed a bad/stuck pixel in the lower right side of the screen. Not noticeable at my viewing distance, but does anyone know what the tolerance is for this display as far as bad pixels?... should I be this picky???

KK20
post #217 of 3284 Old 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM

I was happy to find this forum and appreciate all the information I've found so far. Just got our new 80" Sharp Saturday. No calibration done yet - just what came from the factory. Replaced a Sharp 65" with the 80". So far, seeing a lot of graininess when the picture has a lot of red and yellow in the background. Can see the pixels. Other times picture looks great! I printed off Chad's settings, and we will try those and see what happens. I'd appreciate any input or advice! I'm not a big techy, but can follow instructions very well!
post #218 of 3284 Old 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post

Can someone comment on how using either the 80 or the 70 performs as a PC/Computer Monitor? Is it just too pixelated for this size @ 1080p because if not then I will definitely be upgrading from my 60" to one of these.

Happy to. I hooked up my PC yesterday via HDMI and once I sorted out the Radeon scaling and set the TV to Dot by Dot it looked just like my 1920x1080 24" monitor. I was looking at it from about 10.5' away using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I would say that this set works essentially perfectly, comparable to a high quality 1080P computer monitor. I did notice some lag when using the mouse so make sure you change to GAME display to reduce the lag. After that it's perfect.
post #219 of 3284 Old 10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK20 View Post

Loving my new 80" but...

I noticed a bad/stuck pixel in the lower right side of the screen. Not noticeable at my viewing distance, but does anyone know what the tolerance is for this display as far as bad pixels?... should I be this picky???

Don't know about that but I do remember that you can sometimes fix a stuck pixel. If you Google 'Stuck Pixel' you should find some references to massaging the spot as well as some software (Free) that rapidly flashes your chosen color(s) in an area as small as 1 pixel. Apparently the success rate varies but some folks figured it was around 50%.

By the way,did you notice that it was probably only 1/2 Pixel that was stuck. Sharp is the only display manufacturer that actually addresses 2160 vertical pixels. Not sure why they chose this method. It seems like it would be more expensive to manufacture, but it certainly makes it easy to see if Sharp panels are used for other makes (they are). I briefly had a 52" Westinghouse that used a Sharp panel.
post #220 of 3284 Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbaueraz View Post

I was happy to find this forum and appreciate all the information I've found so far. Just got our new 80" Sharp Saturday. No calibration done yet - just what came from the factory. Replaced a Sharp 65" with the 80". So far, seeing a lot of graininess when the picture has a lot of red and yellow in the background. Can see the pixels. Other times picture looks great! I printed off Chad's settings, and we will try those and see what happens. I'd appreciate any input or advice! I'm not a big techy, but can follow instructions very well!

I've only had my set for a couple of days but I recommend that you reduce sharpness to '0'. Anything greater than that increases noise and artificial sharpening. Sit the correct distance from the set. If you can see the pixels, you're way too close. Try 10 - 11 feet. Turn off most of the enhancing settings like OPC and dynamic cantrast. I have not noticed any noise on my set watching either Cable HD or hi-def movies, unless it was inherent in the content itself. I would love to see Chad's recommended settings but didn't think they were available. Where did you find them?
post #221 of 3284 Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM

thanks for all the input from the owners out there. Looking forward to getting my hands on one once the price drops a little bit. Living on Kauai has its negatives like not being able to see one in person or the 600 shipping here so all the info and opinions i can find really do help in making the decision.
post #222 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I've only had my set for a couple of days but I recommend that you reduce sharpness to '0'. Anything greater than that increases noise and artificial sharpening. Sit the correct distance from the set. If you can see the pixels, you're way too close. Try 10 - 11 feet. Turn off most of the enhancing settings like OPC and dynamic cantrast. I have not noticed any noise on my set watching either Cable HD or hi-def movies, unless it was inherent in the content itself. I would love to see Chad's recommended settings but didn't think they were available. Where did you find them?

I'll try that - thank you!
And my bad, Chad only mentioned a few settings in his review such as turning Dynamic Noise Reduction off, turning Film Mode off and some CMS adjustments.
I plan to try the settings shown by Rage2 Post 150 in this forum this weekend and post my thoughts next Monday.
I'm with you on wishing to see Chad's full settings!
post #223 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:

Happy to. I hooked up my PC yesterday via HDMI and once I sorted out the Radeon scaling and set the TV to Dot by Dot it looked just like my 1920x1080 24" monitor. I was looking at it from about 10.5' away using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I would say that this set works essentially perfectly, comparable to a high quality 1080P computer monitor. I did notice some lag when using the mouse so make sure you change to GAME display to reduce the lag. After that it's perfect.

Interesting, I plan on using this 80" for PC use as well. I tried my Epson PJ, but the games were so immersive; I'd get motion sickness from playing shooters. What color format are you sending to this panel? Y4:2:2:? Y4:4:4? or Full RGB?
post #224 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
btw the 3 year extended for this set through Sharp via the aquos advantage program is $219 for those looking to extend.
post #225 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

btw the 3 year extended for this set through Sharp via the aquos advantage program is $219 for those looking to extend.

is that for AFTER the 15 month warranty ? or does that include the 15 months ? cause if it is after the 15 months then that's a better deal than I was offered on my Sharp 60" I got last summer .. after 15 months Aquos Advantage coverage , they wanted $365 for 3 years .

they must have a lot of faith in that display to offer such a low cost coverage Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Mike

post #226 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

after the 15 months is up. Also can be transferred to new owner
post #227 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

after the 15 months is up. Also can be transferred to new owner

WoW .... that's a great deal ..

Mike

post #228 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

you can also pay it in three paymemts
post #229 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you can also pay it in three paymemts

Yeah they offered 3 payments to me as well . but the 80" costs soo much more than my 60" did & cost way LESS to insure ? that's what I find so surprising .
Because after all it is an insurance policy they are selling you with an extended warranty
that's 2 & 1/2 times less what they wanted for my 60" when you do add what the 80" costs & what I paid for my 60" a year & 1/3 ago.
I paid $1500 for 60" summer 2010
what that shows to me is that they have high faith in these 80" displays ,that they will not need replacing due to failure .
That can only be the reason that Sharp would give a seriously lower dollar amount extended warranty costs than what was offered to me for a 60" Sharp display .
Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining at all ........

buy the way I did Not get the extended plan , the 60" Display is flawless & $365 went to the saving acct. to get a bigger display .
I sit back at 12 feet from the display so this 80" might just come to me this summer ..

Mike

post #230 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

Don't know about that but I do remember that you can sometimes fix a stuck pixel. as well as some software (Free) that rapidly flashes your chosen color(s) in an area as small as 1 pixel. Apparently the success rate varies but some folks figured it was around 50%.

This actually does work sometimes, we had a Pioneer plasma get fixed by running a program I laughed before we did it and said " No Way ". Then I said no way again after it worked.... lol.
post #231 of 3284 Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post

Interesting, I plan on using this 80" for PC use as well. I tried my Epson PJ, but the games were so immersive; I'd get motion sickness from playing shooters. What color format are you sending to this panel? Y4:2:2:? Y4:4:4? or Full RGB?

I'm feeding it through a DVDO Iscan Duo. As I recall, it's full RGB.
post #232 of 3284 Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

To make matters worse there is a new model (lc-70le633u) mentioned on the Sharpusa site. This includes a new spec sheet as well but when I tried to pull info on either up on Sharps' site it wouldn't allow me to get the info. I assume that they are just up[dating the site now.

1. Anyone seen either and if so how does it compare to the 4 color panels???
2. Anyone know the differences between the lc-70le632u and the lc-70le633u??
post #233 of 3284 Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

To make matters worse there is a new model (lc-70le633u) mentioned on the Sharpusa site. This includes a new spec sheet as well but when I tried to pull info on either up on Sharps' site it wouldn't allow me to get the info. I assume that they are just up[dating the site now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366404
post #234 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Hey this is my first comment and long time lurker..

I found a good website to tell the differences in contrast ratios on the different versions of the 70 inch LED's from Sharp.

aquosadvantage.com/Productadvisor.aspx
post #235 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

I think the 633 is just warehouse version of the 632, so other retailer do not have to price match.

As far as I can tell the new 70LE632U is the the new entry level model. It does not have 3D, has a glossy screen instead of matte, does not have RGB+Y, and for some reason 4,000,000:1 contrast instead of the others 6 million. It is full-array LED backlit.

check out whudgens link for more info.
post #236 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintech View Post

I think the 633 is just warehouse version of the 632, so other retailer do not have to price match.

As far as I can tell the new 70LE632U is the the new entry level model. It does not have 3D, has a glossy screen instead of matte, does not have RGB+Y, and for some reason 4,000,000:1 contrast instead of the others 6 million. It is full-array LED backlit.

check out whudgens link for more info.

There are so many conflicting information out there from Sharp and it's so confusing. From what I understand, full array LED has 6000000:1 contrast ratio, so both 70"/80" 632U are full array so they should have 6000000:1, not 4000000:1. The 60" 632U are edge lit thus 4000000:1.

I also asked the local distributor about the 70" screen and was told it's matte, not glossy.
post #237 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsong1169 View Post

There are so many conflicting information out there from Sharp and it's so confusing. From what I understand, full array LED has 6000000:1 contrast ratio, so both 70"/80" 632U are full array so they should have 6000000:1, not 4000000:1. The 60" 632U are edge lit thus 4000000:1.

I also asked the local distributor about the 70" screen and was told it's matte, not glossy.

At the end of the day, 6000000:1 still gives an modified ANSI contrast reading of around 2000:1 unless local dimming is involved.

Robbin
post #238 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 06:04 PM

subscribing.

I am SO close to buying this TV. I actually registered on this site to research it.
post #239 of 3284 Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabittv View Post

subscribing.

I am SO close to buying this TV. I actually registered on this site to research it.

BUY IT!!!

I bought a 734 (70"), then Sharp introduces the 80". Sold my 734 (lost $500 on the deal), got a good deal on the 80" and I love it!!!

NO REGRETS!!!

KK20
post #240 of 3284 Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Soooo, long time lurker here.

I got a chance to go to the Magnolia section in Best Buy last night, and they had this TV set up in a room by itself.

I asked the Magnolia dude if he could put some content on it for me as it wasn't showing anything at the time. He popped a BluRay of War of the Worlds into what I believe was an Oppo player.

He jumped ahead in the movie to get to more action heavy scenes, and the SOE was terrible. He went into the menu and turned off the smoothing and something else, and said "there you go". He dimmed the lights and let me watch as much as I wanted.

I have to say that my first impression of this beast was not very good. The picture was filled with grain, and quite blown out.

The question I have is, never having a calibrated set myself, how much does calibration solve these things? I'm sure the blown out colors can be solved, but what about the terrible snowy picture? I was sitting about 12 to 13 feet away, and it was not pretty.

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le632u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page