AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U Owners Thread

508K views 3K replies 392 participants last post by  BMLocal175 
#1 ·
SHARP UNVEILS WORLD'S LARGEST LED LCD TV

80-inch Model Reinforces Sharp as Industry Leader in Large Flat Panel TVs

09/27/2011

MAHWAH, NJ (September 27, 2011) -- Continuing to build on its leadership in large screen LCD TVs, Sharp today introduced the largest LED LCD TV to date, the 80-inch AQUOS (80-inch diagonal) LC-80LE632U. This new TV is a full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Smart TV, equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and access to apps like Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU as well as Sharp's exclusive AQUOS Advantage Live℠ online support.

"Our 80-inch AQUOS TV delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV, for an amazing viewing experience," said John Herrington, president, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "It's truly like nothing else on the market. Consumers want bigger flat panel TVs for deeper, more immersive viewing experiences and that's exactly what Sharp's delivering here," Herrington continued.

The AQUOS 80-inch LED LCDTV offers stunning picture quality and sleek design. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1. Additionally, the LC-80LE632U employs 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced which virtually eliminates blur and motion artifacts in fast-moving video. At an incredible depth of less than four inches, the new AQUOS 80" is a stylish replacement for similar screen size rear-projection TVs, with depth of almost two feet.

With AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠, Sharp AQUOS Advantage Advisors can remotely connect to the TV through the Internet to assist with TV setup, troubleshoot and optimize the picture quality.

The LC-80LE632U is the latest expression of Sharp's goal of providing a large screen TV to fit virtually any need or budget. It is the centerpiece to Sharp's large-screen push of 2011, following the release of five Sharp AQUOS 70-inch class TVs, and 10 AQUOS 60-inch class TVs.

The AQUOS LC-80LE632U Television features:

80-inch Class (80-inch diagonal) - more than double the screen area of a 55-inch Class TV;

Smart TV - delivers Netflix®, CinemaNow® and VUDU streaming video, customized Internet content and live customer support via built-in Wi-Fi;

AQUOS Advantage LIVE℠ - a suite of premium connected services featuring the ability for AQUOS Advantage Advisors to remotely assist customers with setup and settings management directly over the Internet, right in the comfort of their own home;

Full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD Panel - with 10-bit processing is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and wider aperture to let more light through;

Vyper Drive - game mode eliminates perceptible lag between video game consoles and the TV display;

Dual USB Inputs - enable viewing high-resolution video, music and digital photos on the TV; 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced - for improved fast motion picture quality

LC-80LE632U will be available in early October with an MSRP of $5,499.99 (US).

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 /forum/post/21010785

No local dimming, no quad pixels, no 3D. Those are just the main differences. Congrats on being the first to order one. Looking forward to you reporting back with your impressions.

I guess I jumped to quickly to order as I was very excited about the unit.

I should have read into the PR release more carefully.

Without local dimming, and no 3D, its a non-starter.

The dealer (ABT) even has wrong info on their website and states its edge lit

not back lit.

I have canceled my order.

#5 ·
I read 8 reviews of the 60" version of this panel over at DELL and it's average rating was 4.5 with 8 reviews, however, it should be higher since a few negatives had nothing to do with the TV they were unfairly lowering the score to a 3 because of DELL Customer Service experience when they had just rated everything on the TV as Excellent and another person was rating hdmi audio return with Vudu and to me the HDMI has control over that not the TV as it is the channel and that cable must have that capability.

This will be no Kuro Killer except in the fact it's size ought present a lot of friggin WOW!!! What a banner year for Sharp and all these monster TV's and supposedly even more variations to be displayed at CES in January for 2012. Enjoy your new monster TV and report back on whether is glossy, semi matte or matte. My guess it's semi matte.

BTW the TV is reported as full backlilt without local dimming enabled in Europe at flatpanelshd this morning. Of course this is a budget monster since were it an Elite Tier just imagine what the pricing would be if the MSRP is $8500 for the 70", but who knows what 2012 holds.

"The TV comes with backlit LED to ensure light homogeneity. Local dimming is not activated, however. The TV also boasts 120 Hz, built-in Wifi, and the NET TV+ internet platform with access to Netflix, CinemaNow, Vudu and more."

PIC from CNET and PDF Sharp's Specifications

SharpLC_80LE632U.pdf 429.8837890625k . file

Attachments

#6 ·
Great news about other models , I'm looking for local dimming & yeah they are expensive but that will not hold once the production ramps up . 3D is not a killer too me . I have a Sharp 60" (love it ) but if I go bigger then it's gonna be a 80" not a 70"

#7 ·
Sharp is really ramping it up this year, and it's good to see them back in the collective consciousness of a/v enthusiasts. Large sizes are what more and more people are wanting, and it's amazing what Sharp has done, especially at these price points (for the 70s and this 80). Samsung is still stuck with a single overpriced, underperforming 65" and Sony doesn't have anything shipping past 60". I'm so glad they decided to make it LED-backlit rather than edge-lit like the smaller LE632 -- which surely would've been awful. What I'm really excited for is whenever they decide to make an 80" version of the 735 -- I can imagine how immersive 3D on an 80" would be!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy /forum/post/21012383

Sharp is really ramping it up this year, and it's good to see them back in the collective consciousness of a/v enthusiasts. Large sizes are what more and more people are wanting, and it's amazing what Sharp has done, especially at these price points (for the 70s and this 80). Samsung is still stuck with a single overpriced, underperforming 65" and Sony doesn't have anything shipping past 60". I'm so glad they decided to make it LED-backlit rather than edge-lit like the smaller LE632 -- which surely would've been awful. What I'm really excited for is whenever they decide to make an 80" version of the 735 -- I can imagine how immersive 3D on an 80" would be!

I look to see the 80" have local dimming next year . they will work the bugs out on the Elites , 1st then drop the yellow pixal . then the prices will drop as production is @ full force

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy /forum/post/21012383

I think at that size, it just wasn't possible to have an edge led. The size is just way to big and the edge led won't be strong enough to light all the way to the center of the screen without big uniformity issues.. Backlit was probably their only possibility.

On another end, where are SHarp's 935 series? They were suppose to be this year backlit with local dimming models.

#13 ·
all I can say is Sharp better keep an eye on the QC because at 80 inches backlight bleed and all sorts of other "challenges" will be exacerbated..............

will be interesting to say the least. Throw on Lumagen Radiance on this puppy and you might have the all time tv

#20 ·
Went to HH* today at lunch to just look at the 55+ lcd's and I gotta tell ya the lc60le632 was an awesome picture! By far one of the best I was looking at and at the price of 1300 it couldnt' be beat.

I'm not sure I can wait to afford one of these since my 52" Mits is dead, and I need a replacement but wow.. 80! is AWesome!

I have to agree the more I look at these sharp tv's I'm very very impressed with their pq.

-P

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman /forum/post/21042308

It sure would be great to get any information anyone has that Sharp is getting ready to release an 80" Elite model.

I know it will not be this year.......... You would be looking at 9 months minimum, if one will even be released next year.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audibleBLiNK /forum/post/21043939

Any chance we can make this an LC-XXLE632U thread?

There are 60 and 70-inch models too.

there's a 70" 632 model??

I think it would be best to keep this specific to the 80" as it really is unique in the market and there will certainly be some issues specific to the 80" relative to 60" considering it's 80% larger

#26 ·
I went into the store today looking to buy a 65" Pani VT30 plasma, and they had this 80" sharp set up next to it. I just sat there and watched it and kept going through my roladex of reasons why plasmas are better, but the picture on this thing looked great and it just dwarfed the 65"er. I could give a rats a$$ about 3d, so I ordered the Sharp. They only had a floor model, mine will be here in two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.