40 inch tv for bedroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Planning on getting a new tv for the bedroom. Have a 40 inch wide by 30 inch high space in my cabinet. Thinking I probably need a 40 inch tv. What is a good tv with great value. Mostly for watching broadcast tv through direct tv hd. Also, concerned about sound as tv would be sitting in a deep armoire and, I hear, most tv sets nowadays have bad sound. Can you attach a sound bar to the tv in that space? Thanks for all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
How about the Samsung LN40D550? Has great picture and reportedly one of the best internal sound sets.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN40D550K1FXZA
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Just reading about the 550 on amazon. Many complaints about the tv dying after 2-3 years. Any other ideas?
post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If you can find a Sony KDL-40EX500, that would be the best bang for the buck by far. Although it was introduced in 2010, it still keeps hanging on because it's so darned good. It's a standard CCFL/LCD and does have the good speakers that you require. Check out the EX500 thread and trust me on this one. A good second choice would be the Samsung LN40D630, also a CCFL/LCD. Both TVs have been available at very attractive prices lately.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler223 View Post

Just reading about the 550 on amazon. Many complaints about the tv dying after 2-3 years. Any other ideas?

I was shocked by what you said, so I went to the source you quoted.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D5...DateDescending

There are only 14 user reviews with satisfaction rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars with zero failures. Checked other sites such as BestBut etc., and again highly rated and no failures.

The capacitor plague (also known as bad capacitors) is an ongoing problem with premature failure of large numbers of electrolytic capacitors used in various electronics equipment (e.g. motherboards, video cards, compact fluorescent lamp ballasts, LCD monitors, and power supplies). The first flawed capacitors were seen in 1999, but most of the affected capacitors were made in the early to mid 2000s. News of the failures (usually after a few years of use) forced most manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, HP, Samsung, LG and many others) to repair the defects and stop using the capacitors

The reason for the manufacture of faulty electrolytic capacitors was industrial espionage gone wrong....several Taiwanese electrolyte manufacturers began using a stolen formula that was incomplete, and lacked ingredients needed to produce a stable capacitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Understanding that this problem is old news, I bought a LN46C530, last years model and have been extremely satisfied with its performance.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...and-Design.htm

I would expect this years D model to be comparable.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerjim View Post

if you can find a sony kdl-40ex500, that would be the best bang for the buck by far. Although it was introduced in 2010, it still keeps hanging on because it's so darned good. It's a standard ccfl/lcd and does have the good speakers that you require. Check out the ex500 thread and trust me on this one. A good second choice would be the samsung ln40d630, also a ccfl/lcd. Both tvs have been available at very attractive prices lately.

+1

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just curious about the sound on these sets. The tv will be inside in armoire. Are. The speakers facing out so the won't project back into the cabinet?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM

someone told me the ex500 was a good choice for CCFL, but I saw somewhere that it was not rated well in PQ. I think CNET, but not sure if that was where or not.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

someone told me the ex500 was a good choice for CCFL, but I saw somewhere that it was not rated well in PQ. I think CNET, but not sure if that was where or not.

That's funny. The EX500 is one of the best reviewed sets on this Forum. Check out the massive EX500 thread.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM

Just telling you what cnet said. I looked back to confirm that on CNET it's rated 3 stars whereas most current sets are 3 and 1/2 and the 929 is 4.

Not that CNET automatically judgess on the same things as others, but simply stating what I eprsonally saw on there. For me personally it not having 3D is enough reason i can't get it because even though I care mostly about 2D it would feel like not enough upgrade of my several year old Sony if it doesn'thave it.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

Just telling you what cnet said. I looked back to confirm that on CNET it's rated 3 stars whereas most current sets are 3 and 1/2 and the 929 is 4.

Not that CNET automatically judgess on the same things as others, but simply stating what I eprsonally saw on there. For me personally it not having 3D is enough reason i can't get it because even though I care mostly about 2D it would feel like not enough upgrade of my several year old Sony if it doesn'thave it.

With CNET you don't get a home/owners evaluation. It's just a one time wham, bang, thank you m'am :-)

I had a hard time choosing between the 60EX700 and the 60EX500. Hard to tell in an infamous BB, Cotsco and Frys showrooms which was best. But I feel I didn't lose or gain anything between the two TV. The only way I could probably tell any difference between the two would've been by having them both in my living room for a number of days. A fiscal impossibility, if you can imagine.

I realize you want a big upgrade and 3D would provide you that? And, for the next few months you will be posting on how pissed you are that Sony can't fix the cross talk problems with their 3D and how cheated you are feeling that you paid extra for THAT!

No, the 500EX will not give you that feeling of upgrading to the latest technology. It is, after all, a tried and true technology. Instead it will provide you with excellent 2D pq that's probably hard to match without having to pay for the top tier 2011 Sony TVs.

Trust Jim, he's been here for a long time and knows what this is all about!

Anyway, enjoy whatever TV you get...
post #12 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler223 View Post

those are bogus complaints - the model has only been available for about 6 months...
samsung has very high ratings in consumer reports and others, very reliable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page