Question about white splotches on my new Nuvision NVU55FX5LS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,
I bought a demo unit of Nuvision NVU55FX5LSM which was on dealer display for about 1 year and while I did not need it it looked really cool. It's up and running in my new 3.1 theater system but noticed at night, in dark scenes all 4 corners have white/gray splotches. I contacted the dealer and they said it's a result of the way the unit is lit and normal for this technology. It's hard to believe a unit with this price has this issue. Anyone have any inputs or feedbacks on whether this is OK or a true defect?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM

It's called flashlighting and is indeed common. Try lowering the backlight setting a little bit to see if it helps. Otherwise the only fix is to replace the panel. If it's really bad, then the manufacturer may replace the panel.

Smile. :)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Faded, Thanks for the feedback. Is this common and OK for this type of TV or is this a common defect? Due to the price of this thing, I want to make sure I'm not settling for a lemon.

Thanks!
David
post #4 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If you're unhappy, return it. Nuvision is no longer in business and if I'm not mistaken is no longer offering warranty service on their sets. Flashlighting is inherent to edge-lit displays, however.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM

It's common, yes. Pretty much all of those types of displays will have some degree of flashlighting. Whether it is an "acceptable" amount of flashlighting is quite subjective. I've seen some displays that are really bad and I find completely unacceptable, but the client didn't even have me out there for that issue. And then I've been out to client's homes that you only notice the flashlighting when the screen is solid black with the backlight cranked to max and they want the panel replaced.

Like I said, "fixing" the problem can actually result in more flashlighting.

Does it bother you? Does it prevent you from enjoying the display? If so, then you should return it for a different set.

Did you try turning down the backlight? And if so, did it help at all?

Smile. :)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page