AnyNet+ and ARC causing No Sound with Netflix - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Glad it's working for you now. I have no explanation as to why the ATV works with NF and your SmartApps don't other than maybe some sort of licensing agreement. However, it does point out why I prefer my tv to be dumb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let me post my issue I originally posted on the Onkyo TX-SR608 thread today:

I've searched and cannot find my issue exactly. I just purchased a Samsung PN64F5500 and was excited to get ARC working with my 608 - alas, it has been a nightmare. First, when I enable Anynet+ on the TV and RIHD on the 608, I get a No Anynet+ device detected on the TV! Are not Anynet+ and the Onkyo implementation not compatible? I have a high speed 1.4 ARC compatible cable - matter of fact tried a much more expensive one, same issue. Also if I select Smart Hub on my Harmony (a function I have set up), it switches the TV to Smart Hub, and the 608 to TV/CD. But sound comes out the TV speakers, so i go to Sound and Receiver out is grayed. If I turn off the 608 and back on, I can then select Receiver and it works as it should (except for the no Anynet+ device found message) MOST of the time. So I now have my Harmony to turn OFF and back ON the 608 after the Samsung goes to Smart Hub, but many times I still have to go into Sound on the TV and select Receiver. This is an absolute PITA for something that should work seamlessly.

I HAVE NOT upgraded to the latest firmware, mainly because of the warnings that if it fails you have a dead and un-revivable receiver. The service center in Houston wants $75 to update the firmware, are clear across town, and WILL NOT do it while I wait! However, if the latest firmware update might fix this issue, I might bite the bullet. Any inputs please???

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #33 of 45 Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

Let me post my issue I originally posted on the Onkyo TX-SR608 thread today:

I've searched and cannot find my issue exactly. I just purchased a Samsung PN64F5500 and was excited to get ARC working with my 608 - alas, it has been a nightmare. First, when I enable Anynet+ on the TV and RIHD on the 608, I get a No Anynet+ device detected on the TV! Are not Anynet+ and the Onkyo implementation not compatible? I have a high speed 1.4 ARC compatible cable - matter of fact tried a much more expensive one, same issue. Also if I select Smart Hub on my Harmony (a function I have set up), it switches the TV to Smart Hub, and the 608 to TV/CD. But sound comes out the TV speakers, so i go to Sound and Receiver out is grayed. If I turn off the 608 and back on, I can then select Receiver and it works as it should (except for the no Anynet+ device found message) MOST of the time. So I now have my Harmony to turn OFF and back ON the 608 after the Samsung goes to Smart Hub, but many times I still have to go into Sound on the TV and select Receiver. This is an absolute PITA for something that should work seamlessly.

I HAVE NOT upgraded to the latest firmware, mainly because of the warnings that if it fails you have a dead and un-revivable receiver. The service center in Houston wants $75 to update the firmware, are clear across town, and WILL NOT do it while I wait! However, if the latest firmware update might fix this issue, I might bite the bullet. Any inputs please???

Firstly, Anynet is a proprietary name for Samsung devices using HDMI CEC. It will never find an Anynet device when only your Onkyo is connected. That will not prevent it from working, it's just not an Anynet device, it's an HDMI CEC device. I used to own the 608, it's a fine receiver. I used it briefly for ARC with my F6300 Samsung. You have to enter the HDMI menus on the Onkyo and enable HDMI functioning to Auto. I never experienced any issues with the Onkyo combination. Having said that, on nearly every Samsung/ARC setup I have used, I routinely have to reselect the receiver randomly, usually after the initial power up of the day. It is random though, as I won't have to mess with it for weeks on end, and sometimes every single day.
post #34 of 45 Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Anynet+ was pointed out in post #26. So many issues with CEC working, and then not working, it's hardly worth it. Just get a programmable remote like a Harmony and be done with it. One click of a button and you can select what ever you want to do and the input on the receiver/tv is automatically selected as well.
post #35 of 45 Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Anynet+ was pointed out in post #26. So many issues with CEC working, and then not working, it's hardly worth it. Just get a programmable remote like a Harmony and be done with it. One click of a button and you can select what ever you want to do and the input on the receiver/tv is automatically selected as well.

Using a Harmony does not resolve the Samsung TV using the TV Speakers. I know, I'm using a Harmony on one of them, the last remaining Harmony in my arsenal, and that's purely because I have no idea where the receiver remote is or it would be gone too. It's an ARC issue, not a CEC issue. I have to set the Harmony down, pick up the Samsung remote, and select the receiver in the tools menu, something that is cumbersome from a Harmony as well.....
post #36 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

Firstly, Anynet is a proprietary name for Samsung devices using HDMI CEC. It will never find an Anynet device when only your Onkyo is connected. That will not prevent it from working, it's just not an Anynet device, it's an HDMI CEC device. I used to own the 608, it's a fine receiver. I used it briefly for ARC with my F6300 Samsung. You have to enter the HDMI menus on the Onkyo and enable HDMI functioning to Auto. I never experienced any issues with the Onkyo combination. Having said that, on nearly every Samsung/ARC setup I have used, I routinely have to reselect the receiver randomly, usually after the initial power up of the day. It is random though, as I won't have to mess with it for weeks on end, and sometimes every single day.

Thanx heresnowhy. I did set the RIHD to Auto in the receiver last night, but haven't had a chance to test it.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #37 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

Thanx heresnowhy. I did set the RIHD to Auto in the receiver last night, but haven't had a chance to test it.

You're welcome, and I wasn't aware there was a firmware update for the 608, in all the years I owned it, I never saw one posted on the Onkyo site. Just the 508 and some higher models.
post #38 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I can find it only addresses a 3D issue with DirectTV. It isn't on the Onkyo website because the 608 is not "user upgradeable" - but people have posted the file and method for updating it. You have to burn the file as an audio CD and then play the audio CD back through a fiber optic input.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #39 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using a Harmony does not resolve the Samsung TV using the TV Speakers. I know, I'm using a Harmony on one of them, the last remaining Harmony in my arsenal, and that's purely because I have no idea where the receiver remote is or it would be gone too. It's an ARC issue, not a CEC issue. I have to set the Harmony down, pick up the Samsung remote, and select the receiver in the tools menu, something that is cumbersome from a Harmony as well.....

I just leave the tv speakers turned off all of the time. Why use them if you have a nice receiver and speakers? Optical out from the tv to the receiver solves any audio issues when using the SmartApps, internal ATSC tuner, etc. ARC has no advantage other than eliminating the use of an optical cable. My Harmony is programmed to access the Menu of the tv, go to Audio, and turn off/on the internal speakers if i wanted to.
post #40 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I just leave the tv speakers turned off all of the time. Why use them if you have a nice receiver and speakers? Optical out from the tv to the receiver solves any audio issues when using the SmartApps, internal ATSC tuner, etc. ARC has no advantage other than eliminating the use of an optical cable. My Harmony is programmed to access the Menu of the tv, go to Audio, and turn off/on the internal speakers if i wanted to.

In a perfect world, that would work, I mean, I do leave the TV speakers off all the time, the TV however, sees to it not to leave this setting alone and randomly changes things. I have 8 separate TVs all with a dedicated receiver. ARC works a charm on all of them, with the exception of the F6300s I have after firmware updates 1120 and 1121. It really has nothing to do with the Harmony remotes, which are a fine tool indeed, but I think the usefulness of them is dwindling with smart phone apps and improved implementation of CEC. And as for optical, I have no desire to run additional cables, I purchased all new equipment to function exclusively via HDMI and for the most part, it has been successful.
post #41 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In a perfect world, that would work, I mean, I do leave the TV speakers off all the time, the TV however, sees to it not to leave this setting alone and randomly changes things. I have 8 separate TVs all with a dedicated receiver. ARC works a charm on all of them, with the exception of the F6300s I have after firmware updates 1120 and 1121. It really has nothing to do with the Harmony remotes, which are a fine tool indeed, but I think the usefulness of them is dwindling with smart phone apps and improved implementation of CEC. And as for optical, I have no desire to run additional cables, I purchased all new equipment to function exclusively via HDMI and for the most part, it has been successful.

That's fine and I'm glad that it works well for you. But until ARC/CEC is standardized across all mfrs of audio/video equipment the problem you describe is still going to occur and cause all kinds of people issues and headaches, especially if they are not as informed on what the technology actually means and does. Firmware updates are fine if they correct the problem but it seems in a lot of cases they don't . Just depends on the mfr. Harmony remotes ALWAYS work when programmed correctly and until ARC can say that, I think programmable remotes like Harmony's etc will still be extremely useful for quite some time.
post #42 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My PN64F5500 has no way to "turn off the TV speakers", unlike my two previous PN50C550s - I can only set audio to External, TV, or Receiver. I guess External would turn them off.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #43 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:

That's fine and I'm glad that it works well for you. But until ARC/CEC is standardized across all mfrs of audio/video equipment the problem you describe is still going to occur and cause all kinds of people issues and headaches, especially if they are not as informed on what the technology actually means and does. Firmware updates are fine if they correct the problem but it seems in a lot of cases they don't . Just depends on the mfr. Harmony remotes ALWAYS work when programmed correctly and until ARC can say that, I think programmable remotes like Harmony's etc will still be extremely useful for quite some time.

I don't think we are conversing on the same topic. The Harmony remote really has no useful task in this discussion. It does the EXACT same job that the OEM supplied remote would do. Send a command. That isn't the issue here, nor was it ever. This (topic OP brought into discussion) really is a problem with Samsung exclusively, more specifically, their poorly written firmware. I have had the benefit of not only owning 7 different models of Samsung TV's at the same time (including the exact Onkyo receiver in question) but an LG Television as well as a reference). My ES and FH series Samsung's ARC functions flawlessly with Pioneer, LG, Harman Kardon, Onkyo and Yamaha devices I have tried them with. Even the F6300's I own worked without exception with said equipment until January this year. Firmware 1120 and 1121 are flawed, and no option in the MyHarmony setup can fix it, only Samsung can. Regardless if you think CEC is hit or miss, and even if it would alleviate the real problem here, it's an advertised feature, and expecting the customer to purchase a 3rd party device upwards of $70-$100 is short sighted.
post #44 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you can update firmware via USB, any chance to find the previous versions and see if we can "downgrade"?? Here's the firmware I got blasted down last week - it ALSO removed Xfinity Smart Hub app, which I am pissed about. It was there the weekend before, and I go to set it up this past weekend, and it was gone, and Samsung's website only lists ONE 50" plasma as being "compatible" - BS - it was there before, so it must have been "compatible" a week ago!

Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1120.0)

This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED F5500/F6300/F6350/F6400/F6800/F7050/F7100/F7150, PDP F5500
The version is 1120.0
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Auto Off-On Issue

- Solves the issue Smart Control does not work.

- Solves Network Connection Issue with Wireless Router.

- Improves Picture Quality.

- Solves the issue Screen Mirroring does not work.

- Solves the issue Digital Clean View does not work correctly

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #45 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think we are conversing on the same topic. The Harmony remote really has no useful task in this discussion. It does the EXACT same job that the OEM supplied remote would do. Send a command. That isn't the issue here, nor was it ever. This (topic OP brought into discussion) really is a problem with Samsung exclusively, more specifically, their poorly written firmware. I have had the benefit of not only owning 7 different models of Samsung TV's at the same time (including the exact Onkyo receiver in question) but an LG Television as well as a reference). My ES and FH series Samsung's ARC functions flawlessly with Pioneer, LG, Harman Kardon, Onkyo and Yamaha devices I have tried them with. Even the F6300's I own worked without exception with said equipment until January this year. Firmware 1120 and 1121 are flawed, and no option in the MyHarmony setup can fix it, only Samsung can. Regardless if you think CEC is hit or miss, and even if it would alleviate the real problem here, it's an advertised feature, and expecting the customer to purchase a 3rd party device upwards of $70-$100 is short sided.

I think we're both on the same side only coming at it from different directions. I didn't want to bash Samsung specifically, but tried to point out the flaws in ARC in the way the implementation is handled even within the same mfr. It's not uncommon for a mfr to advertise a feature that is poorly implemented or not implemented at all, only "capable" (Deep Color comes to mind) which is misleading to the uninformed customer. This can become compounded if the person replaces or updates a component and ARC fails or gets flaky. Troubleshooting then gets very difficult.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page