AnyNet+ and ARC causing No Sound with Netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My UND557000LF Samsung can connect to stream Netflix movies and I can get sound passed to my Denon-AVR 1912 only with AnyNet Turned to OFF. The problem is this creates the problem that I don't get any sound when I switch back to Cable TV.

If change AnyNet+ to ON, Netflix sound does not work, but my Cable TV sound then works fine. Is there a setting that will change this automatically? Its a nuisance to manually change this setting each time I want to watch a movie or Cable TV. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I sent an email to Samsung Support and they said I need to use an Optical Cable. So much for ARC functionality

I bought this TV for ARC functionality to use with my receiver via HMDI cable - only to learn I need to use another cable. I think its false advertising. do you agree? End of rant.
post #3 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Samsung contacted me again and said they made a mistake. They said I can not use any receiver or External Speakers when watching TV Apps.

Could I ask for a reply if someone use their Samsung Apps (Netflix, etc) with any type of external speaker/receiver? I would appreciate it. Thanks
post #4 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I'm confused as to why Anynet would effect ARC.

Anynet is a Samsung (CEC) protocol that allows control (on/off/volume) of Samsung devices interconnected to the TV.

ARC is an HDMI spec.

Quote:

They said I can not use any receiver or External Speakers when watching TV Apps.

Apparently they made a mistake again. You got it to work.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. they tell me I cant use any external speakers or receiver with SmartApps on the Samsung. I am questioning their reply and wondering if this should work. thanks again
post #6 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud659 View Post

thanks for the reply. they tell me I cant use any external speakers or receiver with SmartApps on the Samsung. I am questioning their reply and wondering if this should work. thanks again

Quote:

If change AnyNet+ to ON, Netflix sound does not work, but my Cable TV sound then works fine. Is there a setting that will change this automatically?

With NetFlix... you've had conflicting results.

Again, Anynet and ARC are two different puppies and one should not affect the other.
post #7 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Setup:

Sammy 55D7000 -> Cheap Sony 520 (with ARC)
Anynet ON

TV apps (and netflix works fine). Only issue I had to program is that, with ARC on, the TV ALWAYS tries to FORCE "TV" mode on the receiver even if you have the TV set to say blu--ray HDMI2.

So when I start my XBOX360 Extender for MediaCenter ro a game, it switches the receiver after 2-3 seconds BACK to TV mode. So I needed to program my remote to "delay 3000ms -> Blu-Ray Input"

Annoying.

Btw, Anynet/ARC failed to work right with
Onkyo 608B with ARC (works FINE with my MITSubishi DLP)
Pioneer 2011 low end (forgot number) with ARC

Sony was the only brand and for $150 can't complain when you just need a basic amp (I have powered DefTechs etc)

sjc
post #8 of 45 Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

TV apps (and netflix works fine). Only issue I had to program is that, with ARC on, the TV ALWAYS tries to FORCE "TV" mode on the receiver even if you have the TV set to say blu--ray HDMI2.

So when I start my XBOX360 Extender for MediaCenter ro a game, it switches the receiver after 2-3 seconds BACK to TV mode. So I needed to program my remote to "delay 3000ms -> Blu-Ray Input"

Annoying.

sjc

These are the same symptoms with my setup! I hate it when it forces the receiver to TV and still no sound. Is there another way to solve this without programming the remote? btw. what kind of remote?
post #9 of 45 Old 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM

I have a UN55C7000. In my experiments, I have discovered that the Samsung ARC does not function without HDMI-CEC enabled. The TV menu has a configuration for HDMI-CEC to turn it off and on. When it's on, there is another configuration option called "Receiver" that you can switch off and on. If you power all components down and bring them back up, the TV will somehow switch the Receiver off. Perhaps it goes through some detection process to check what is there and since my Receiver is a Pioneer 1120, it doesn't see an Anynet+ compatible device and starts with it off. Switching it on makes it work.

Problem with HDMI-CEC is that it detects my Samsung BD player plugged into my Pioneer. With my Harmony One remote, I try "Watch TV" activity that should only activate my television and receiver. However, HDMI-CEC turns on BD. When the BD comes on, it forces my receiver into BD mode messing the state of all the components up. At this point, Harmony One is completely out of sync and you have to use "Help" to get things back to normal.

Samsung could fix this with a Firmware update that did the following: do not auto-detect the Receiver .. always honor the setting that the user selected. In addition, add an option to the HDMI-CEC menu that allowed the user to decide whether to auto-turn on connected devices. In this case, I would set Receiver to always on and all Anynet+ devices "Auto Turn On" to the No state. (It does contain an "Auto Turn Off" setting now, which I have set to "No".)

Without this firmware fix, my only choice is to get an optical cable and shut off HDMI-CEC entirely so that I can get sound through the receiver and keep my harmony one remote in sync.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this problem yet?  Just got a brand new 6400 series 60" LED Samsung Smart TV.  My receiver is a yamaha RX-V667.  All inputs  (xbox, blueray, apple tv) run through the HDMI inputs on the receiver and the receiver runs one  hdmi out of its (ARC-capable) output into the (ARC-capable) hdmi input on the TV.  I have the HDMI control and the ARC options enabled on the receiver.  The TV's anynet+ recognizes the receiver and links up.  I can change the volume of the receiver using the remote for the tv.  Everything's peachy, right?  Well, then when I try to use an app on the TV, it suddenly changes some audio setting on the receiver so that I lose all audio.  In other words, I get no audio when using the apps within the TV.  I'm not sure what setting it is changing, but I do know that if I exit the app on the tv and push the "audio 1" button on the receiver's remote, I get the audio back.  But the second I dive back into an app, the audio dies again until I exit the app and push the "audio 1" button on the receiver's remote.

Can this be fixed, perhaps by turning OFF "HDMI control" in the receiver but leaving ON the ARC functionality?  That's something I need to give a try.  I really want to avoid having to run an optical from the TV's audio out to the receiver. Seems like that defeats the purpose of having ARC functionality.

Help?

post #11 of 45 Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 AM

Same issue with the TV overriding the settings on my Denon 1913. Have just turned off Anynet on TV and use my apple TV to stream whatever i want. Annoying . Samsung also told me to use an optical cable as a workaround. I bought this TV and had an ARC/HDMI run through the walls/brick/fireplace and I unfortunately cannot now go back and run an optical cable. Wish there would be some firmware update that would allow the TV ARC to work without pushing changes to the Denon settings.
post #12 of 45 Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 227
ARC/CEC is a great idea, and does work well for some. But, the requirements for ARC capabilities aren't really standardized, from what I understand, across all ARC capable platforms so there will be issues from time to time depending on your hardware. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable. Audio output is limited to 5.1 just like optical. Personally, I don't use ARC at all. I just use an optical cable and a Harmony remote to control all of my devices and inputs.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 AM

Their is a way around this with my harmony remote but its annoying.

If you want to use the arc-hdmi on a samsung tv you have to have the remote issue a delayed command to tell the receiver to activate the hdmi input that your selected equipment it connected to. To do this you have to have your harmony remote learn your receiver remote commands for those hdmi buttons one at a time. Then program the harmony to 1. add a time delay and 2. add a command to activate hdmiX, after the original commands that turn on tv and receiver or what ever. Experiment with the delay time needed. 

Works for me but I don't appreciate the added delay when turning on my equipment.

I haven't tried the optical cable yet but I am going to see if I like it better than arc-hdmi. At least for now I can hear the tv apps like netflix and my htpc over my receiver in 5.1 audio.

post #14 of 45 Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If your display outputs 5.1 via optical digital, that is the way to go. Since these apps aren't outputting lossless audio, optical digital carries the same signal as HDMI. Plus, there is no HDMI "hand shaking" or ARC issues to cause problems. Bottom line: No decrease in audio capabilities and no problems!
post #15 of 45 Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Since these apps aren't outputting lossless audio, optical digital carries the same signal as HDMI.

I think you mean "optical digital carries the same signal as ARC". HDMI is quite capable of handling lossless audio.
post #16 of 45 Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I know HDMI can carry lossless audio. My sentence structure was confusing if not read carefully. You apparently only read the second part of the sentence "optical digital carries the same signal as HDMI". The first part of the sentence was a qualifier "Since these apps aren't outputting lossless audio". In other words, if there is no lossless audio involved, the audio going over optical digital or HDMI would be the same.
post #17 of 45 Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Relax rlb no reason to be rude. That wasn't meant to be critical, just a little clarification.
post #18 of 45 Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM

So, what I'm taking away from this thread is there is no easy way to get the Netflix app or web browser app to play audio back through my AV receiver to the floor speakers.  I've got another thread asking the same question and stumbled across this one with what sounds like the same problem.  My setup is STB HDMI out to SAT/CATV HDMI in, then HDMI out to HDMI 3 (ARC) on the back of my TV.  I've confirmed all the settings, chatted with Samsung and Sony, replaced all the HDMI cables (thanks Monoprice) and done a factory reset without getting this fixed with no success.  Just chatted with Samsung again and they're recommending I submit a service request to get the TV looked at.  Really frustrating that I can't stream movies and get the sound that I want to go along with it.

Mike

Samsung UN60F8000BFXZA

Sony STR-DN840

Samsung BD-F5900

post #19 of 45 Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

ARC is flaky in that it doesn't always play nice with SmartApps. What I would suggest is get an optical cable, connect it (tv to receiver), and disable ARC. You should be able to play audio from your SmartApps on the tv thru your receiver and out to your speakers. The audio will be limited to 5.1 but that's the best you can do with streamed apps. All of your devices have to be ARC capable for ARC to work. I have an AppleTV2 as my STB. It's connected via HDMI directly to the receiver (no particular HDMI input) and then HDMI out to the tv. All audio (Netflix, etc) is played thru the receiver and only the video is sent to the tv. The optical cable from the tv is only used when I watch OTA tv. Do you have another HDMI input to use other than SAT/CATV? I have a Harmony remote programmed to automatically select the correct inputs on the receiver and tv depending on what I want to do.
post #20 of 45 Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM

I connected a optical cable from samsung tv to the yamaha receiver and disabled the arc/anynet function but I don't get the 5.1 audio with streamed netflix as mentioned. Its coming through as 5.0, the sub woofer is not there. It's strange because my cable, dvd, ota antenna, and htpc are all 5.1 with the sub woofer. Its probably not a limitation of my samsung tv because both the ota antenna and streaming netflix audio are going to the receiver on the optical cable. HTPC, dvd's and cable box are all done with just their respective hdmi cables.

Are you getting 5.1 netflix with apple tv? 

If that's the case I may switch from samsung smartapps to apple tv so I can get the sub woofer.

Any suggestions?

post #21 of 45 Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucow View Post

I connected a optical cable from samsung tv to the yamaha receiver and disabled the arc/anynet function but I don't get the 5.1 audio with streamed netflix as mentioned. Its coming through as 5.0, the sub woofer is not there. It's strange because my cable, dvd, ota antenna, and htpc are all 5.1 with the sub woofer. Its probably not a limitation of my samsung tv because both the ota antenna and streaming netflix audio are going to the receiver on the optical cable. HTPC, dvd's and cable box are all done with just their respective hdmi cables.

If that's the case I may switch from samsung smartapps to apple tv so I can get the sub woofer.

Any suggestions?

I'm using the ARC function on ES6100, F6300 and F6400 models without any audio issues. Having said that, there are know problems with ARC and Netflix with some/most users after Firmware 1120 and 1121 on the F series models. My ES model works flawlessly.
post #22 of 45 Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucow View Post

Yes. When ever it's broadcast that way.
post #23 of 45 Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 PM

I am having sound drop out issue with my F6350 TV while playing netflex through smart app, have tried hdmi-arc and optical cable, the sound bar is samsung FM45C, went through 3 samsung tech support without getting any result, anyone has the same issue ? solutions, thx.

post #24 of 45 Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

ARC doesn't always play nice with SmartApps. Partially because ARC is not really standardized so implementation may vary from mfr to mfr and not all SmartApps are made the same. Some will broadcast in 5.1, some won't. Optical is probably your best bet. Sounds like Samsung needs to update their SmartApps.
post #25 of 45 Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 PM

I couldn't find anyway to make AnyNet (PN64F5500) work without it changing my receiver input from HDMI1 to TV after about 10 seconds of the system being turned on.

I have given up on it and just use the optical out to my receiver. This works fine, but it is not ideal for 2 reasons.

1. Every time I want to use the Smart Apps and get sound I need to change the receiver input (needed to create a new activity in Harmony)

2. I now have an optical cable hanging down from my TV that is mounted, to the receiver cabinet. Not a clean look, The HDMI is hidden in the wall. Now I have to snake the cable in the wall, which won't be easy because my wall mounted center speaker is directly below the TV.

It's very disappointing that this supposedly great feature is basically useless and everyone just turns it off. One would think that Sansung could give some more flexbility on the parameters of AnyNeT.

post #26 of 45 Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

AnyNet+ is Samsung's version of CEC, which is even worse than ARC for some. I agree, it's too bad that some sort of standardization wasn't decided upon a long time ago so that one could mix and match components as needs changed but that's just not the case. ARC/CEC is even problematic at times within the same mfr components.
post #27 of 45 Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaPotato View Post

I couldn't find anyway to make AnyNet (PN64F5500) work without it changing my receiver input from HDMI1 to TV after about 10 seconds of the system being turned on.

I have given up on it and just use the optical out to my receiver. This works fine, but it is not ideal for 2 reasons.

1. Every time I want to use the Smart Apps and get sound I need to change the receiver input (needed to create a new activity in Harmony)
2. I now have an optical cable hanging down from my TV that is mounted, to the receiver cabinet. Not a clean look, The HDMI is hidden in the wall. Now I have to snake the cable in the wall, which won't be easy because my wall mounted center speaker is directly below the TV.

It's very disappointing that this supposedly great feature is basically useless and everyone just turns it off. One would think that Sansung could give some more flexbility on the parameters of AnyNeT.

What model TV are you using? I'm using ARC on all my Samsungs. I will agree that the TV switching the receiver to TV input 10 seconds after startup is annoying, I simply switch it back and ARC is good to go after that. The ONLY issues I have are on my F6300 and F6400, and that is a Firmware issue 1120 and up that began in January, usually effecting Netflix. Again, aside from startup , ARC is working as advertised for me, switching seemlessly between Smart Hub apps and Cable.
post #28 of 45 Old 03-06-2014, 04:46 AM

My TV is PN64F5500. I just got it a few weeks ago. The firmware is up to date. And yes, it does work fine besides the changing of receiver input after about 10 seconds. I just hit Help on my Harmony to fix it, but it's an annoyance I don't want. I am just using the optical until it gets fixed, if it does. Too bad, because it does switch seamlessly.

post #29 of 45 Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaPotato View Post

My TV is PN64F5500. I just got it a few weeks ago. The firmware is up to date. And yes, it does work fine besides the changing of receiver input after about 10 seconds. I just hit Help on my Harmony to fix it, but it's an annoyance I don't want. I am just using the optical until it gets fixed, if it does. Too bad, because it does switch seamlessly.

That will not get fixed. That's the same work around (help on Harmony) I have been using for over a year. It's annoying yes, but it's really not a tremendous issue, you turn it on and leave it on to watch TV and you're good. If I had to use it constantly it would bother me. I guess I'm used to it now.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM

It bothered me I wasn't hearing my sub woofer with Samsung's smartapp for netflix.

So here's a new wrinkle. I bought an apple tv and tried it. Otto said he got 5.1 netflix if the movie audio was streamed with it and I did too.

With Samsung's smartapp for netflix I got 5.0 audio (no sub woofer). With apple tv streaming netflix I got 5.1 audio (with sub woofer).

Any body else experience this and why?

So now everything works right using a Samsung tv, Yamaha AV receiver, Motorola cable box, Samsung Bluray player, VHS/DVD player, Apple tv, HTPC and harmony ultimate without a twelve second delay to switch input back to normal because of Samsung's arc/anynet because I turned that off and used an optical cable for OTA antenna tv.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page