LED Headaches? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 46 Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This would probably be best posting in the plasma forum because if people have experienced this I assume they would not even be reading this forum.

But just in case...

In case some people don't know, led lights give some people headaches, nausea, vision problems, etc... And for all people it lowers their melatonin elvel.

Well i've had a sony hx820 here for a week now and I realized I had eben having odd headaches and soemtimes my eyes seem to burn looking at the screen. as if there's some overwheliming brightness going into my eyes even when contrast is way way below suggested settings.

Does anyone think if led lights DO cause symptoms they would linger for an amount of time or would they go away soon after you stop looking at the screen?

I am tryign to be sure whether it's being caused by leds, glossy screen, or simply a coincidence altogether.

I did notice that when I went and played basketball today, hours after I had even looked much at the screen, my eyes kept watering so much I had to keep rubbing my eyes in the middle of playing. So thus wondering if it's really the tv or some kind of infection possibly if those whoa re bothered by led lights get voer it faster than hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

This would probably be best posting in the plasma forum because if people have experienced this I assume they would not even be reading this forum.

But just in case...

In case some people don't know, led lights give some people headaches, nausea, vision problems, etc... And for all people it lowers their melatonin elvel.

Well i've had a sony hx820 here for a week now and I realized I had eben having odd headaches and soemtimes my eyes seem to burn looking at the screen. as if there's some overwheliming brightness going into my eyes even when contrast is way way below suggested settings.

Does anyone think if led lights DO cause symptoms they would linger for an amount of time or would they go away soon after you stop looking at the screen?

I am tryign to be sure whether it's being caused by leds, glossy screen, or simply a coincidence altogether.

I did notice that when I went and played basketball today, hours after I had even looked much at the screen, my eyes kept watering so much I had to keep rubbing my eyes in the middle of playing. So thus wondering if it's really the tv or some kind of infection possibly if those whoa re bothered by led lights get voer it faster than hours.

It's a feature. Once you start to feel physical pain, you know it's time to turn off the television and go outside.

Also, I'd bet that your eye irritation during basketball had less to do with the television and more to do with you constantly rubbing your eyes.
post #3 of 46 Old 10-08-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

But I've obviously had many tvs before and yes I could get a headache with those, but this is while watching much much much less tv than I usually do. It's very difficult to determine whether or not the tv is behind itt hough. If you search you'll find that some people have issues with specifically led lights and so that's what I'm worried is happening with me. Thus why I even started consdiering plasmas again.
post #4 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm now almost positive indeed it was the led lights. I watched a movie in pitch black. I couldn't really keep my eyes totally open when watching it. I kept noticing it was not as bright as my old CCFL tv yet was bothering my eyes as if it was too bright.

A day or two ago I noticed someone said that some claim if you have issues caused by led lights then turn on a light behind the tv and it fixes it. Sure enough when i turned on the light in the kitchen, which spread light to the wall behind my tv... it was not causing nearly as much ofr a problem.

So it's pretty clear that I'm one of the ones who can't tolerate leds.

So now it's either plasma, the sony ex500, or go back to my old tv again. Sucks there are no 3D CCFL tvs that I know of. Hopefully the plasma will work.

I sure don't recall getting this issue with the lg or samsung leds, but maybe it was because for those I was sitting further away and also they were set brighter. Suppsoedly if you INCREASE brightness it helps with this issue.
post #5 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Liked: 15
unfiltered LED light causes strain on the eyes because it's spectral response is not smooth like natural light and it normally is much more "blue" than normal incandescent bulbs (depending on the led of course) and that affects molecules of rhodopsin in the rods of the eye that allow night vision.

The rods are more sensitive blue and green and if you view in too dark of a room with blueish light or light that has peaks in the blue spectrum it fatigues the vision system faster too.

This is also why "torch mode" is a big no no in a darkened room since not only is the brightness too much for the eye to relax the iris the color of the display is normally way too blue so that further makes the eye strain.

But here is the thing LED backlights are filtered by the LCD panel into RGB so it isn't comparable to looking at a normal LED light like say a flashlight or a car headlight.

Any possible eyestrain (related to the backlight) will come from too little ambient light compared to the screen brightness.

The other reason for possible eyestrain on a LED-LCD would come from the panel refresh versus the framerate of the content and how the panel interpolates them into 60hz, 120hz or 240.

Some screens insert a black frame and/or flash the backlight to improve perceived contrast and motion blur even if the panel isn't doing frame rate conversion (soap opera effect) and that can cause eye issues.

All of these issues come down to panel brightness versus the ambient light not a backlight specifically causing extra strain.
post #6 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm now almost positive indeed it was the led lights. I watched a movie in pitch black. I couldn't really keep my eyes totally open when watching it. I kept noticing it was not as bright as my old CCFL tv yet was bothering my eyes as if it was too bright.

A day or two ago I noticed someone said that some claim if you have issues caused by led lights then turn on a light behind the tv and it fixes it. Sure enough when i turned on the light in the kitchen, which spread light to the wall behind my tv... it was not causing nearly as much ofr a problem.

So it's pretty clear that I'm one of the ones who can't tolerate leds.

So now it's either plasma, the sony ex500, or go back to my old tv again. Sucks there are no 3D CCFL tvs that I know of. Hopefully the plasma will work.

I sure don't recall getting this issue with the lg or samsung leds, but maybe it was because for those I was sitting further away and also they were set brighter. Suppsoedly if you INCREASE brightness it helps with this issue.

When you spent forever waffling over what you were going to buy, you mentioned how bright you needed these things to be, completely ignoring advice that that was not the way you are supposed to be viewing. And now you are complaining....big surprise.
post #7 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

When you spent forever waffling over what you were going to buy, you mentioned how bright you needed these things to be, completely ignoring advice that that was not the way you are supposed to be viewing. And now you are complaining....big surprise.

My Dad warned me about other activities that might cause blindness

Steve S.
post #8 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

My Dad warned me about other activities that might cause blindness

post #9 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

And for all people it lowers their melatonin elvel.

So does sunlight

Melatonin makes you sleepy. Its production is inhibited by the presence of light.
post #10 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

bright compared to PLASMA, not high brightness itself.
post #11 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

So does sunlight

Melatonin makes you sleepy. Its production is inhibited by the presence of light.

no, sun actually helps produce or regulate it.
post #12 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

undermined, thanks for the info, but I ahve read before where people specifically have it happen from led monitors. This was a 120hz sony and my old tv is a 60hz sony, so always possible it has to do with refresh rates. I don't know. Not many choices left now though.
post #13 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no, sun actually helps produce or regulate it.

Nope. You have it backwards. Melatonin is inhibited by light:

Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/artic...onin-and-sleep
post #14 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

All I know is I read on a health site that sunlight is necessary to properly set up your sleep pattern. I believe it said it stores melatonin. thus why you're sleepy much later than when you first get the sunlight.
post #15 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I know is I read on a health site that sunlight is necessary to properly set up your sleep pattern. I believe it said it stores melatonin. thus why you're sleepy much later than when you first get the sunlight.

It's like you're immune to teaching.
post #16 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's like you're immune to teaching.

Guess you know more than doctors. This was from an article actually related to sleeping.

Correcting one of my other posts, the SOny I am using now has a 240 refresh rate. Maybe that is part of the problem. Seems like for the lg 5600 it wasn't as bad and that has a 120 and maybe a different method, who knows.
post #17 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I don't believe there is much difference between CCFL and LED - i own them both. You are imagining things. Check your settings, view from propper distance and use biaslighting.
post #18 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess you know more than doctors. This was from an article actually related to sleeping.

No, doctors know all about melatonin too. The article you read was either wrong or you misunderstood it.

"Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light and permitted by darkness."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin#Light_dependence

"Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual."
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...tonin-overview

"The synthesis and release of melatonin are stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light"
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mel...ient-melatonin

"Light decreases melatonin production and signals the body to prepare for being awake. "
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/940.html

Hope this convinces you.
post #19 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I don't believe there is much difference between CCFL and LED - i own them both. You are imagining things. Check your settings, view from propper distance and use biaslighting.

Are the scientists imaginign thing who do studies? Someone just posted a thread on her a week or two ago about leds and also how led lights are known to give nausea, headaches, and eye discomfort. I also read on a UK site that in the UK some people are asking that they not phase out traidtional bulbs due to some people not being able to sue leds. Just because you don't notice a difference doesn't mean nobody else does.
post #20 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

jonny, yes that does convince me that I was right. I said it's necessary for preparing for the sleeping cycle. As I stated, sunlight does not immediately make you tired! It is building up melatonin for later.
post #21 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jonny, yes that does convince me that I was right.

Oh my god
post #22 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh my god

well well what do we have here, sir?
Quote:
Expose yourself to sunlight throughout the day. Sunlight regulates your circadian clock and makes you tired at night by producing a hormone that regulates your sleep cycle, called melatonin.

Read more: How to Regulate the Sleeping Pattern | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7634184_regu...#ixzz1aJvMseBF

took me less than ONE minute. What now. Hmm?
post #23 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jonny, yes that does convince me that I was right. I said it's necessary for preparing for the sleeping cycle. As I stated, sunlight does not immediately make you tired! It is building up melatonin for later.

jebus....

(fifth element)
post #24 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Suddenly the responses have slowed down?

So anyway I guess I already had my answers, but thanks to the guy who did mention refresh rate may also be involved.
post #25 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suddenly the responses have slowed down?

So anyway I guess I already had my answers, but thanks to the guy who did mention refresh rate may also be involved.

you are wrong
Quote:
xpose yourself to sunlight throughout the day. Sunlight regulates your circadian clock and makes you tired at night by producing a hormone that regulates your sleep cycle, called melatonin.

Read more: How to Regulate the Sleeping Pattern | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7634184_regu...#ixzz1aJvMseBF

kinda proves jonnys point...

Quote:
at night by producing a hormone that regulates your sleep cycle, called melatonin

(fifth element)
post #26 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well well what do we have here, sir?

took me less than ONE minute. What now. Hmm?

eHow is like Wikipedia, where anyone can write anything. Except there's no editing! Once you write an article it's just there. People write these because eHow pays people (anyone) money to contribute them. So people tend to write lots of "articles" about **** they know nothing about, and get everything wrong.

The article writer is simply 100% wrong. From her own references:
"Melatonin production is controlled by light exposure. Your brain should secrete more in the evening, when it’s dark, to make you sleepy, and less during the day when it’s light and you want to stay awake and alert."

The "article" author's own biography says:
"Her areas of expertise include event tickets, Internet marketing and Web development. She attended the University of the Fraser Valley, studying business."

Sorry dude.

Light suppresses melatonin production. Darkness promotes melatonin production. Miss Menard's commentary, which directly contradicts the Mayo Clinic, WebMD, and the National Institute of Health, is just wrong.

I can't believe you're arguing this. The mind boggles.
post #27 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

melatonin is produced at night
http://www.google.com/search?q=melat...w=1110&bih=687

(fifth element)
post #28 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that I'm reading it, the eHow article is ambiguous at best. Regardless, the fact that light suppresses melatonin production is extraordinarily well documented, and a random non-expert's freelance eHow article is proof of nothing.
post #29 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said. I read an article by a DOCTOR that also said you need a lot of sunlight during day for melatonin to be there at night. My source backed it up. End of story. youc an deny what you want, but I can keep pulling out sources saying I;m right. The melatonin is RELEASED at night. the sun helps the body produce it. I know you won't admit you're wrong after mocking me about it incorrectly, but facts are facts and you ened sun for melatonin.
post #30 of 46 Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM

My advice is never but never watch any TV in a dark room it's extreme bad for your eyes,
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page