Please help me choose beween Sony and LG - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am in a very tight spot not being able to choose the right HDTV and would like to know your opinion.
My have narrowed my choices to:

LG (42LW5300) - http_://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-led-tv-42LW5300.jsp
SONY (KDL-40HX720) - http_://www.sony.lv/product/tv-102-40-lcd/kdl-40hx720

They both have pros and cons.
In my perspective:

LG-
* 42" instead of 40" of SONY.
* Cinema 3D- Passive glasses so very convenient because I wear glasses.

SONY-
* Better picture quality
* "True" 3D
* DLNA

Please help me to choose.
This will be quite a long time purchase. I will use this for atleast 2 years.
When I compare the two, I could clearly see that SONY picture quality is slightly better. It had that glossy quality (I'm not technically sound in this area). The SONY is also 240Hz, but I dont think that really matters.

So what would you recommend? LG is IPS and SONY is backlit LED. I don't think I would watch a lot of 3D stuff right now, but I don't know in the future.

Please advice.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM

well if the Sony does 10:10 pulldown at 240hz with 24p I would buy that!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't know if this will help, but I bought an LG set (47LK520) a few weeks ago and end up returning it and getting a Sony (46NX720) instead. My experience with LG was positive on some of their small (19-inch) sets, so I thought it would translate into the larger ones, but I was wrong.

The main issue I had was with motion. There is some kind of weird processing going on in that set where motion looks fine for awhile, then all of a sudden it will appear to go in slow-motion for a few seconds, then back to normal speed. I found other people talking about it over in the LCD Flat Panel section of the forum, so it wasn't a defective set.

I got the Sony and ultimately am much happier. Picture quality is superior to the LG in every way -- blacks are truly deep, color accuracy seems better; more natural -- overall, it is very pleasant to watch. The downside is, it cost almost 2x as much, so there is a price to paid for the improvements.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m26k9 View Post

Hello,

I am in a very tight spot not being able to choose the right HDTV and would like to know your opinion.
My have narrowed my choices to:

LG (42LW5300) - http_://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-led-tv-42LW5300.jsp
SONY (KDL-40HX720) - http_://www.sony.lv/product/tv-102-40-lcd/kdl-40hx720

They both have pros and cons.
In my perspective:

LG-
* 42" instead of 40" of SONY.
* Cinema 3D- Passive glasses so very convenient because I wear glasses.

SONY-
* Better picture quality
* "True" 3D
* DLNA

Please help me to choose.
This will be quite a long time purchase. I will use this for atleast 2 years.
When I compare the two, I could clearly see that SONY picture quality is slightly better. It had that glossy quality (I'm not technically sound in this area). The SONY is also 240Hz, but I dont think that really matters.

So what would you recommend? LG is IPS and SONY is backlit LED. I don't think I would watch a lot of 3D stuff right now, but I don't know in the future.

Please advice.

Thank you.

2 yrs is not a long time purchase bunky.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I really like my older Sony LCD, compared to my smaller LG the Sony has darker blacks and brighter whites. Not that the LG is poor, it's actually better than most of my other LCDs but my Sony is my favorite.
The downsides of the Sony are no 50Hz support(LG displays 50Hz just fine) and higher cost. If you can afford the Sony I don't think you can go wrong.
I also worry a little bit of the reliability of my LG. I haven't had issues in the ~1 year I've had it but prior I had 3 LGs DOA or die within a week, remember LG is Goldstar(or was before they changed names, Goldstar wasn't known as the most reliable company).
post #6 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.
The price is the same for both. So that isn't a factor (I wish it was so my decision would've been easier).
Only thing keeping me from going for Sony is the 2" advantage of LG and the passive 3D (lightweight glasses).
But after your replies I'm leaning more towards Sony now.
Would appreciate if you got anymore info.

Thank you very much.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM

I deal in both, however, Sony is a nicer TV, generally. LG has cheaper 3d, especially if you do one of their combination deals, but the bravia has a better picture.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I don't know if this will help, but I bought an LG set (47LK520) a few weeks ago and end up returning it and getting a Sony (46NX720) instead. My experience with LG was positive on some of their small (19-inch) sets, so I thought it would translate into the larger ones, but I was wrong.

The main issue I had was with motion. There is some kind of weird processing going on in some of those sets where motion looks fine for awhile, then all of a sudden it will appear to go in slow-motion for a few seconds, then back to normal speed. I found some other people talking about it over in the LCD Flat Panel section of the forum, so it wasn't a defective set. Not ALL of LG TVs have this issue and most owners never have seen it or could even induce it by trying with bad DVDs or other signal sources.

I got the Sony and ultimately am much happier. Picture quality is superior to the LG in every way -- blacks are truly deep, color accuracy seems better; more natural -- overall, it is very pleasant to watch. The downside is, it cost almost 2x as much, so there is a price to paid for the improvements.

Most of the LG TV owners have had no picture motion issues. It did not seem to follow a particular screen size, although the few reported ones were either 47", 55" or 60". I as an owner of a 42LD550 from 2010, most 47LD520's, and most LK series did not have the "slow down" some have experienced. As you had found, it seems to occur on some LG models when there is a loss of proper 2:3 pull down frame cadence in the source material. But most LG owners have not experienced this and if there are dropped frames or other defects in the signal source then that is a problem too not related to an issue with the TV.

I also disagree that it "was not a defective set". Since only a few owners reported such an issue, then it implies that only some of the TVs had a difficulty handling dropped frames from poorly edited source material. And, as we know, only when owners seem to have a problem does that get posted. The silent majority of many satisfied owners of any brand of TV do not usually come into a forum to voice non existent problems for their TVs. The problem you experienced does not seem to be wide spread. So far, I also do not know of anyone who had called LG or had a service tech out to resolve it. It may be a firmware error or main board issue on some TVs. But most people take the TV back and so LG never gets to analyze the problem. I guess you can't blame a TV maker for a not fixing an intermittent problem that they are not even made aware of.

Just my 2 cents so folks know that most of us LG owners are very happy with our TVs!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much.
I was leaning more towards Sony despite being only 40" and the heavy 3D glasses because of it's picture quality and having DLNA (LG doesn't). But they I read that the DLNA doesn;t really work very smoothly on the Sony and in most cases it only works with certain movie file formats.

I probably will still go for Sony for it's picture quality, but the 2" advantage and very light 3D glasses in LG is something I still cannot get over.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page