Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to purchase a new tv that has the following requirements

Around 46+ inches
Around $1k
Great color quality
To be used for games
3d would be nice but not required if it is sacrifices color quality.

So far I can only narrow it down to two tvs, LG Infinia LW6500 and Samsung UN46D6000

LG: amazon dot com/LG-Infinia-47LW6500-47-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B004OVEVO2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2XE9I1AV31X5Y&colid=3JR8C5LZWLO7J

Samsung: amazon dot com/Samsung-UN46D6000-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B004NB13KI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1JYORQYFDO1VO&colid=3JR8C5LZWLO7J

Does anyone have any suggestions on another tv? or if there is anything bad against these two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why was this moved to LCD? These are LED tv's
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerCage View Post

Why was this moved to LCD? These are LED tv's

Don't know where this was moved from but this is the correct Forum. There are only two types of flat panel displays listed on AVS, plasma and LCD. These are LCD TVs that are "lit" by LEDs (light emitting diodes). Other LCD TVs are "lit" by CCFLs (cold cathode flourescent lights).

That's the simple explanation. If you want more information, feel free to do a search on AVS using the AVS search function or Google. The bottom line is that LCD TVs are either LED/LCD or CCFL/LCD, but they're both LCD. Manufacturers have either gotten lazy, shifty, or just plain deceiving in trying to make consumers think that "LED" TVs are a completely different animal and that's just not true. It's just an evolution in technology and not always for the better, especially in the case of edge-lit LED/LCDs.

If I were you, I'd read the threads for both TVs, but of the two I'd likely choose the LG. The Samsung may have more eye-popping colors and better black levels, but is prone to suffer from inconsistent screen uniformity with problems such as flashlighting & clouding. The LG should have better viewing angles and also better screen uniformity.

There are certainly other alternatives, so before you buy, take a look at some other candidates, come back, ask questions, and then make a final, well informed choice. This should increase the likelihood of getting a TV you can enjoy the first time and lessen the chance of having to return one that doesn't live up to your expectations.

Good luck to you.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to stick with the same LG vs the Samsung UN46D6400, so just a slight difference.

Based upon the two, which would be recommended?

I will mainly (90%) of the time be using this tv for gaming, which would be viewed straight on so odd viewing angles do not matter to me. What matters the most to me in input lag, ghosting and color quality. Based upon that, is there a recommened choice between the two or perhaps a different tv that is clearly more what I am looking for over the two?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

I have decided to stick with the same LG vs the Samsung UN46D6400, so just a slight difference.

Based upon the two, which would be recommended?

I will mainly (90%) of the time be using this tv for gaming, which would be viewed straight on so odd viewing angles do not matter to me. What matters the most to me in input lag, ghosting and color quality. Based upon that, is there a recommened choice between the two or perhaps a different tv that is clearly more what I am looking for over the two?

Samsung sets are among the worst with respect to input lag. There's a whole sticky thread on input lag at the top of the lcd forum. If you do a thread search there on various makes that might give you an idea of where the LG falls as far as lag.

I do know that Sharps and Panasonics usually are among the best as far as minimal input lag.

Good Luck!

Steve S.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, interesting, thanks for the help. Do you happen to know if there is a comparable Bravia? I have really enjoyed my past Bravia's.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Ah, interesting, thanks for the help. Do you happen to know if there is a comparable Bravia? I have really enjoyed my past Bravia's.

Non-3D=KDL46EX620--closest Sony spec-wise to the UN46D6000. For 3D the closest to the UN46D6400 would be the KDL46EX720. These would be closest in spec and price as far as competing Sony-Samsung models. Not familiar enough with LG to comment.

The Sonys have matte screens vs the shiny Samsungs. Not sure about gaming lag but generally reported to be not as bad as Samsung, nor is the potential for severe flashlighting/clouding.

Steve S.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

The KDL46EX720 is definitely an interesting choice, I will look around for input lag on this TV. Thanks a lot for the help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 55lw6500 Hdtv , Lg Infinia 47lw6500 , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page