Need Advice Plz: Sharp 735u vs Samsung Samsung UN8000 vs Samsung UN7000 ... ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So im looking at three TVs

I used to have the samsung plasma (3 years old) was a 720p 50" plaz

Now I would like to upgrade to a 3D system ... but I have recently been sidetracked in my thinking as I see a lot of nice units that are very big (but 3D-less) for singificantly less $$$ .... I dont want to buy something antiquated ... but dont want to kick myself for not spending a little extra for a nicer/larger/etc unit a year from now

The Sharp 70" with 3D blew me away at HHGregg today ...

The samsung 60" at best buy looked sleek and picture was great!

How do these compare? Seems the price point is similar ....

Can you guys plz give me the pros and cons of these TVs

My new place doesnt have a ton of natural light but my last place in FL did and at some point I would like to move back into a loft setting (ideally) so sunlight *could* be a factor later ...

Also - whats the best viewing distance for a 65 or 70 inch? my den will allow for a ten to twelve foot viewing/seating arrangement I would assume

I am a big samsung fan but the sharp made a big impression today ...

Thanks!!!!!

This forum is awesome!

Samsung UN60D8000 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV

70" Class 3D AQUOS Quattron 240Hz 1080p LED HDTV (69.5" actual diagonal size)

Samsung UN65C7000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Well, almost. My current TV is a 52" Sammy LCD (LNT5265F) and has the sharpest, most lifelike picture I've ever seen. But I've got the fever for more. So, I'm definitely intrigued with this 70" tv at the surprisingly affordable price.

And after a trip to Costco and BB today, I'm even more intrigued. The Best Buy unit was hooked to a blu-ray with "Speed Racer". The pic looked like raw video, but I'm sure it was due to the source. Never the less, it was very impressive.

I'd like to convince myself I don't need 3d, but I'm sure I'll have regrets if I don't wait for the 035 model with the 3D onboard. Any chance Costco will have these before Christmas?

I'm not crazy about the remote (compared to Vizio and Samsung's bluetooth models with mini key pads).

I'm also bummed that there is no YouTube in the Apps collection.

Other than these points, the TV is very tempting at the moment. I'm sorting out my Christmas wish list and a larger TV (60-70) is high on the list.

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehr22 View Post

So im looking at three TVs

I used to have the samsung plasma (3 years old) was a 720p 50" plaz

Now I would like to upgrade to a 3D system ... but I have recently been sidetracked in my thinking as I see a lot of nice units that are very big (but 3D-less) for singificantly less $$$ .... I dont want to buy something antiquated ... but dont want to kick myself for not spending a little extra for a nicer/larger/etc unit a year from now

The Sharp 70" with 3D blew me away at HHGregg today ...

The samsung 60" at best buy looked sleek and picture was great!

How do these compare? Seems the price point is similar ....

Can you guys plz give me the pros and cons of these TVs

My new place doesnt have a ton of natural light but my last place in FL did and at some point I would like to move back into a loft setting (ideally) so sunlight *could* be a factor later ...

Also - whats the best viewing distance for a 65 or 70 inch? my den will allow for a ten to twelve foot viewing/seating arrangement I would assume

I am a big samsung fan but the sharp made a big impression today ...

Thanks!!!!!

This forum is awesome!

Samsung UN60D8000 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV

70" Class 3D AQUOS Quattron 240Hz 1080p LED HDTV (69.5" actual diagonal size)

Samsung UN65C7000

In those price categories, I'd get the 65VT30 from Panasonic or the PN64D8000 from Samsung.

If it must be an LCD, I'd sit tight and see what happens with 65XBR929 from Sony.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM

I own the sharp, Love it would not trade it out until they come out with 80" in 3d. Please dont come to soon thou. I would hate to drop that much on two tv's in one year.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

In those price categories, I'd get the 65VT30 from Panasonic or the PN64D8000 from Samsung.

If it must be an LCD, I'd sit tight and see what happens with 65XBR929 from Sony.

I actually like plaz ... or at least thats the direction you guys steered me in 4 years ago (I purchased a Samsung HPT5064 about 4 years ago and now im making an upgrade) and I was stoked to find this super useful forum at that time ...

So plasma is def an option.

I guess there has been so much change in the TV world b/w now and then that I am wide open to suggestions ... but my ecperience with samsung has been awesome! So my first instinct was to see what they have come out with since my last purchase (i love the new slim frame they have on the 8000 series)

But back to your suggestion, why do you like the plaz over the emerging LED technology?

I am looking at a couple of samsungs (60, 60, and 65) ... but today the 70" Sharp caught my eye today at BB when I was doing some recon

I am thinking I want to go 3D if I am going to pony up the cash and make a leap forward from the old samsung I had...

Thx for the feedback!!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks a lot guys..

I was looking for such a advice but without results..

it seems that I was asking in the wrong places..

anyway..
thank a lot for this useful information..
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I stopped by the HHGregg here in Bham today to check out the Sharp 70 with 3D. They had it as well as the 80" model. The 80" blew me away in terms of sheer immersion factor, but its too large for my needs.

After seeing the 70" with 3D, its definitely the one to beat for me. I was a bit skeptical after checking the 733 at Costco, that the PQ could rival my Sammy. But, alas, the Sharp on display at HHG was actually pretty stunning with the Blu-Ray source they had running.

The guys at HHG had it connected to a BluRay player that did not have 3d capability. So I was able to see how the Sharp could do "virtual 3D" and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the result. I could definitely see this would be more than a novelty.

I'm on board the sharp train after today. Now, just have to keep fingers crossed that Costco will get this model before Christmas!

~ s

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3, JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbehr22 View Post

I actually like plaz ... or at least thats the direction you guys steered me in 4 years ago (I purchased a Samsung HPT5064 about 4 years ago and now im making an upgrade) and I was stoked to find this super useful forum at that time ...

So plasma is def an option.

I guess there has been so much change in the TV world b/w now and then that I am wide open to suggestions ... but my ecperience with samsung has been awesome! So my first instinct was to see what they have come out with since my last purchase (i love the new slim frame they have on the 8000 series)

But back to your suggestion, why do you like the plaz over the emerging LED technology?

I am looking at a couple of samsungs (60, 60, and 65) ... but today the 70" Sharp caught my eye today at BB when I was doing some recon

I am thinking I want to go 3D if I am going to pony up the cash and make a leap forward from the old samsung I had...

Thx for the feedback!!

There really isn't anything emerging about the Samsung LED LCD panels. They are charging premium prices for inferior technology in comparison to some of their LCD competitors.

The 835 is a decent panel when you factor in the size and performance for the price but it is not in the same league as the VT30 from Panasonic from a pure PQ perspective. The Samsung plasma is an awesome value considering the difference in cost from the Panasonic but with contrast being twice that of the Samsung with better overall black levels, I'd have to give the nod to the Panasonic...

With that being said, if you want the best performing panel regardless of anything else, I would look at the 70" Elite.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page