Pop Up Menu Box continually popping up on Vizio TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If anyone can give helpful advice I know it will be this forum.

I have a 2010, 23 inch Vizio TV, model VM230XVT. The TV has been excellent up until about a month ago when a menu box on the lower left side of the screen will pop up without my intervention, remain for a few seconds, disappear, and then return, sometimes seconds later this will repeat itself. It is extremely annoying when watching television, especially sports games when they put information on the bottom of the screen and it is covered up by the pop up box.

I contacted Vizio and at first they had no idea what the pop up menu looked like. They requested photos of it which I sent to them. They told me to take it to ITI to get it repaired since the warranty has expired.

The TV is touch screen, there are no "literal" buttons on it. The power button is the area which activates the pop up menu. It is extremely light sensitive/movement sensitive. Simply placing your finger 2 inches from the power button will activate the pop up menu every time.

What I did is covered the on/off power area with black electrical tape stuck to a sticky post it note to cover the power on/off area. The remote control is still strong enough to turn on the set, sending the signal through the tape and the pop up menu does not appear as frequently but it still will show up from time to time without my doing anything.

I toyed with the settings, did a reset, but it did not help. There is nothing in the product manual about adjusting the touch screen settings.

Any thoughts? While my Vizio warranty has expired, I purchased it with my Visa card so they should reimburse me for repairs but not sure even if this specific repair will be honored by Visa.

Attached are some images of the menu box I am referring to.

Thanks for any suggestions.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Vizio is notorious for deeming a set "unrepairable" after the warranty expires and suggesting you to either purchase a new Vizio or something else. Repairs outside of warranty are difficult to get.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Bad news for me. I hate having to ship out the set over this annoying pop up menu when otherwise it works great. I never heard of such an idiotic feature added to a TV that serves no purpose other than to irritate the viewer. Too bad there is no such thing as a pop up blocker like we have on computers. It's aggravating as hell.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
There’s either mechanical problem / misalignment, or the touch-screen calibration issue….

You could open the TV yourself and re-align the button / IR receiver PCB and remove any stress caused by bad assembly.... I think the problem could be easily fixed even if you get sensible electronics technician to pull the TV apart and ensure all little PCB modules (PCB’s that holds the buttons) are aligned properly + there’s no stress on buttons introduced during LCD panel frame assembly.

You mentioned: “The TV is touch-screen” ….I am not 100% sure what you meant there…. typical touch-screen sheet placed on top of the LCD panel needs to be calibrated to ensure that relevant point (when pressed) will turn-on the desired function. I know vizio is hopeless, but try to obtain the service manual and / or guide on how to calibrate the touch-screen sheet. This usually involves touching two opposite diagonal points when prompted by set-up procedure (software).

Good luck,

Boky
post #5 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

You mentioned: The TV is touch-screen .I am not 100% sure what you meant there. typical touch-screen sheet placed on top of the LCD panel needs to be calibrated to ensure that relevant point (when pressed) will turn-on the desired function. I know vizio is hopeless, but try to obtain the service manual and / or guide on how to calibrate the touch-screen sheet. This usually involves touching two opposite diagonal points when prompted by set-up procedure (software).

Thanks for the feedback.

I asked Vizio about any information on adjusting the touch-screen but they told me they had nothing to provide. I don't think they know what they are doing at Vizio Tech help department, they seem clueless even about what I was referring to about the pop up menu and wanted to see photos of it.

I do know that I can activate the pop up menu without even touching the screen. Hand movement as close as 2 inches by the screen will activate it. The TV has no visible buttons or even markings as to where it reads hand movement or touch. It has a series of LED lights only. The touch screen area is on the far left bottom of the TV, outside the screen area, in the black border area. If you look at the pics I provided, it is the tiny white lights that appear on the menu that is the touch screen area. It is not on the top of the TV nor on the sides or the back.

Since I covered the touch-screen area with electrical tape, the pop up box is not popping up as frequently. I will see whether the problem worsens and if it does simply ship it out. I'm not inclined to mess with the TV mainly being I am very happy with this set and don't want to cause more harm than good.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM

I tried covering the entire control panel area with foil backed tape. It seems to have reduced the irritating pop up but it still is there. Very irritating.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM

I've had the same issue since I bought this thing. Great looking picture, but this just kills me.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Unfortunately Vizio is more of a marketing company than a television mfr. I'd keep pushing them, if it's still under warranty, until they fix it or replace it with a new one.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where do you normally leave the cursor. If I leave the cursor on the bottom of the screen on my Vizio then the Menu dialog box stays on the screen,
Where does the manual say the IR remote's receiver is? Mine is the lower left hand corner of the bezel.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Is this an actual touch screen or just a graphic that pops up to indicate the function of the touch controls on the bezel below the screen?

Steve S.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Is this an actual touch screen or just a graphic that pops up to indicate the function of the touch controls on the bezel below the screen?

It is a graphic. The buttons are along the bottom left of screen.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM

I had exactly this happen with a Vizio VM230XVT I managed to `fix' it to some extent:

It's possible to disconnect the button and prox sensor assembly from the main logic board. This prevents the menu from appearing. However, you then need to use the remote control in order to do anything (including switching it on).

It isn't a great fix, but its rendered the display usable again, so I'll take it.

To do this, you'll need to open the display. (There's no way that this doesn't void your warranty.) But setup the display with the menus before disconnecting because you'll not be able to use the buttons again.

I first disassembled the stand and brackets but, in hindsight, I don't think that I needed to. The back of the display is held together simply with plastic clips about every two inches around the edge. If you can get a knife between the halves, you can pop open the clips. If you can do this without messing up the plastic a bit then you're better than I.

Do not attempt to pull the back away; it's connected with many cables. Just get the back away from the front all the way around and be gentle. Just above the power button is the IR receiver PCB. This was the tightest cable for me and by unseating the PCB, I had enough play in the back to rotate it slightly and expose the bottom right speaker.

This speaker obscures the PCB that houses the LEDs and proximity sensor. By removing the screws that are holding it in place, the cable connecting to this PCB is exposed and can be disconnected. You'll need to press in the clips at the edges and probably use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the connector.

Now reassemble the display and don't forget about the IR receiver PCB that we unseated previously! That's the only way to turn it on now!
post #13 of 14 Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM

It has been very frustrating for the Vizio response for the last three years to be "Problem? What problem?"

I suspected the undesired menu activation was some kind of sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation. Many owners had already tried covering the bottom left corner of the screen frame with black electrical tape without success. I decided to try metallic shielding. I used a 2" by 4" strip of thin aluminum foil to cover the lower left corner of the screen frame, wrapping it around the bottom of the frame as well. Then I covered it with black electrical tape to hold it in place and hide the silver color. Several forum participants had already tried this with little or no success. The secret turned out to be using a short cliplead from the foil to the shell of the nearby coaxial cable connector shell on the back of the set. This made the foil an effective ground plane, shielding the sensitive popup electronics. I have run the TV for several days now, without a single false trigger. Previously, it would trigger dozens of times whenever the set was turned on. The touch controls are not needed, as I use the remote control for all TV functions.

I hope this solution will benefit other frustrated VM230XVT model owners.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM

I am having the same problem except that I use the set as a pc monitor. This is frustrating. Last time I even think about a Vizio!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page