Adventures with a 32" Westinghouse TV as a Computer Monitor - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd also like to point out that there is a physical order on the TDMS transmitters and not populating them in order, using DVI #2 and nothing in #1, can cause issues. I've seen DVI #2 (manufacturers don't bloody label them anymore on the back plate) cause users to boot into GDI with a black screen. This is because it's falling back to DVI # 1. The driver/software gets into a "limbo" state and even if you then flip physical port to TV to DVI #1 it still boots to black screen. Only solution is to connect a different screen to DVI #1 on it's own. Windows boots, redetects EDID and rehashes or what ever the hell it does and image comes up. You then set resolution and shutdown. Connect TV to DVI #1 and reboot. You should then have image in windows desktop. To determine what port is #1 connect two DVI monitors to it and see the boxed defaults for monitor 1 and 2 and note the physical ports. DVI #1 is usually the port on the plane closest to the PCB. DVI #1 has two TDMS transmitters while DVI #2 has only one. The second "channel" on DVI #1 is also shared with the HDMI port. When you populate a AMD/ATI card of the 5xxx/6xxx HD generation the boxed order of screens goes DVI #1 then HDMI #2 and then DVI #2. This is the TDMS xmitter physical order logic. It's best to physically populate them in sequence just like it is for SATA ports etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10
Solid State, I'm getting a black screen on my PC going into my TV using HDMI (only one on the card). Changing inputs on the TV side doesn't work, they both work for Cable/STB and both cables work. The PC looks like it's on with all the lights flashing as usual. Any ideas?

I should add the card is an HD4670.

ernie
post #63 of 72 Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Drogulus just want to be sure you checked my reply to thecalip on the last page, apparently he's having a similar issue though i think he's using a dvi-hdmi cable.

Strange if you ask me.
post #64 of 72 Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM

I read it, thanks. I'll try the VGA. If that doesn't work the PC is probably to blame.

ernie
post #65 of 72 Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Analog audio in looks like the best option for use with DVI/HDMI. Is this possible on the Westinghouse? My Samsung has a DVI PC Audio in (I was surprised to see it, but I looked and there it is).

The other option, more complicated, would be DVI/HDMI PC to the TV and coax/toslink to a receiver/proc. I've used this on my main PC setup for a decade, but I hoped to keep the bedroom TV/PC setup simpler. I may end up doing this, though.

ernie
post #66 of 72 Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone post the VR-3225 firmware version listed in their TV menu? It should be listed under the "Picture" tab, I found this in mine: atsc_wd_LTA320HN02_W03_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.0

So i extracted the numbers that most resembled panel info: LTA320HN02 and plugged it into a Google search and came up with this http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_...r.php?id=12469

It appears we have a Samsung PVA / SVA panel. Based upon the distributor's location i'm guessing some Samsung panel production is farmed out to a factory in China, built to Samsung's specs and still using their name. The factory "may" be Chi-Mei (CMO) based upon earlier mention of Westinghouse's affiliation with them, but business relationships there can get pretty murky and i haven't seen any confirmation.

Panel Brand : [SAMSUNG]
Panel Model : LTA320HN02-W
Panel Type : [a-Si TFT-LCD], SVA
Panel Size : 31.5" (inch)

Dot Resolution : 1920x1080 FHD
Aspect Ratio : 16:9 (W:H)
Pixel Configuration : [RGB Vertical Stripe]
Pixel Pitch : 0.12125×0.36375 mm (W×H)
Weight : 6.0Kgs (Max.)
Surface : Antiglare (Haze 5.5%) Hardcoating (2H)
Active Area : 689.4×392.85 mm (W×H)
Bezel Area : 703.8×398.4 mm (W×H)
Outline Dimension : 760.0×450.0 mm (W×H)
Outline Depth : 57.2 (Max.) mm
Holes & Brackets : Face mounting holes; Side mounting holes; Rear mounting holes
Touch Panel : No

LTA320HN02-W Optical Features

Display Mode : SVA, Normally Black, Transmissive
Brightness : cd/m2 (Typ.)
Contrast Ratio : 5000:1 (Transmissive)
Display Color : 1.07B (8-bit + Hi-FRC)
Color Gamut : 72% [CIE1931 Standard NTSC]
Response Time : 12/8 (Typ.)(Tr/Td); 8 (Typ.)(MPRT)
Viewing Angle : 89/89/89/89 (Typ.)(CR≥10) (L/R/U/D)
Viewing Direction : Symmetry
White color Chromaticity : X:0.280; Y:0.285
White Variation : 1.33 (Max.)(9 points) [Luminance Variation = Maximum / Minimum]

LTA320HN02-W Electronics Feature
Vertical Frequency : 60hz
Reverse Scan : No

LTA320HN02-W Signal Interface
Signal Category : LVDS
Signal Class : LVDS
Pin Configuration : LVDS-51P2C10B-010C [Panelook inner code]
Input Voltage for Panel : 12.0V (Typ.)
Input Current for Panel : 470/700mA (Typ./Max.)
Interface Type : Connector
Interface Brand : UJU
Interface Model : IS050-C51B-C38
Interface Pin Pitch : 0.5 mm
Interface Amount : 1 pcs
Interface Pins : 51 pins

LTA320HN02-W Backlight System
Lamp Position : Direct Light Type
Lamp Type : CCFL
Lamp Amount : 4 pcs [8S6P: 8 Serial, 6 Parallel]
Lamp Shape : U-shape
Lamp Life Time : 50,000 hours Min.
Lamp Current : 11.0/12.0/13.0mA (Min./Typ./Max.)
Lamp Driver Board : Embedded Inverter
Lamp Driver Board : 24.0±2.4V [Input Voltage]
Lamp Driver Board : 3.0/3.3A (Typ./Max.) [Input Voltage]
Interface Type : Connector
Interface Brand : YEONHO
Interface Model : 20022WR-14AML
Interface Pin Pitch : 2.0 mm
Interface Amount : 1 pcs
Interface Pins : 14 pins

LTA320HN02-W Packing Form
Amount per Box : 26
Box Size : 1150×850×1125 mm (L×W×H)
Box Gross Weight : 194.52 Kgs

LTA320HN02-W Specification Source
Language : English
Version : Rev.000
Issue Date : 2011 - 1 - 7
Panelook Updated : 2011-06-23 22:29
post #67 of 72 Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM

I currently have my 55" Samsung attached to my HTPC via HDMI out on my video card (Nvidia GT 430). Should I instead get a DVI -> HDMI cable to improve the picture quality?

It sounds as though HDMI out is 4:2:2 while DVI->HDMI is 4:4:4 although I am still trying to figure out what all that means.

Thanks!
post #68 of 72 Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
..and not to hijack this thread further, but I attempted to replace my Westinghouse W37W1 (an ancient Westinghouse 37" Monitor, no TV Tuner whatsoever) that is more than five years old now with this:

Westinghouse 3280, 32" LED edge-lit set. I tried connecting with DVI to HDMI adapter into HDMI1 on the set and after fiddling with lots of settings the set still looked like it was not being fed a 1:1, even tho Nvidia reported the set as being fed a 1920x1080 signal.

Text had halos around it (white), everything looked soft, etc. It was not the 1:1 "laptop screen" look that my Westy 37 has going DVi to DVI.

I am about to return it to Best Buy...but.....could the simple addition of a DVI to HDMI cable solve my woes? Right now the set is being set TV signals, as NVIDIA under resolutions has HD/SD with lots of modes and a listing for PC. the problem is, the PC section does NOT list 1080, it only shows two oddball resolutions that the set will not accept (1600x1200 4:3 being one of them).

Anyone?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #69 of 72 Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post

OP here......

I had issues that had to be sorted with this set at the beginning (learning curve). All I can say is:

a) VGA 1920x1080 @60hz (Windows XP) my text is super sharp & clear (I'm very picky & detail oriented).

b) DVI-HDMI 1920x1080 @60hz (Windows 7) quality is incrementally better than VGA. Modified Belle-Nuit chart is displayed sharp & clear in the 4:4:4 part.

Go to Setup/PC Setup in the menu and play around with the 'Clock' & 'Phase' settings. There is an 'Auto' setup feature there.

I stand on my position (from my experience only) that this monitor for the price is...... Remarkable. Again, just one person's experience with two computers (Win 7 & Win XP).

The screen capture looks like a Chroma 4:4:4 or a Clock/Phase issue. If the Clock/Phase doesn't clean it up, then I would look at the Chroma.

Make sure you are @ 60Hz. Mine would default to 59Hz and I would have to manually set it to 60Hz. And 1920x1080 too!

In the beginning when I used HDMI-HDMI (which failed the modified Belle-Nuit), I too had text problems similar to those in the screen capture.

Basically, the goal here is to feed the signal @ native resolution (1920x1080) 60Hz directly to the panel with no signal processing to mess up the fonts. We want the TV to behave as if it is receiving a computer signal (4:4:4) and NOT a video signal (4:4:3).

4:4:4 Computer Mode: You will have Contrast, Brightness & Color Temp in the Picture Menu.

4:4:3 Video Mode: In addition to above, you will also have Color, & Sharpness in the Picture Menu.

So....If you have Color, & Sharpness, listed in the Picture Menu, you are not doing 4:4:4.....and you will have fuzzy Text!!

Very interesting. I'm using a Sammy 40 inch as a computer monitor from time to time - other times either TV or a video. I've always had problems in reading text. I'll have to give (suggestions in this thread) a try.

And yet...I have the set calibrated to give extremely SHARP images of Solar Images download from SOHO. resolution is vivid, sharp and accurate.
post #70 of 72 Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM

FYI, in the Nvidia console, under Display --> Adjust Desktop color settings, set the Digital color format to YCbCr444. By default, it was set to RGB.

I'm loving the VR-3225 as a monitor! Thanks OP for the info. DVI to HDMI digital signal is nice
post #71 of 72 Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Can anyone post the VR-3225 firmware version listed in their TV menu? It should be listed under the "Picture" tab, I found this in mine: atsc_wd_LTA320HN02_W03_318HB10_B1.2.11_3.0

I ordered mine recently and got firmware version atsc_wd_LTA320HN02_W04_318HB10_B1.2.11_4.1
post #72 of 72 Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

..and not to hijack this thread further, but I attempted to replace my Westinghouse W37W1 (an ancient Westinghouse 37" Monitor, no TV Tuner whatsoever) that is more than five years old now with this:

Westinghouse 3280, 32" LED edge-lit set. I tried connecting with DVI to HDMI adapter into HDMI1 on the set and after fiddling with lots of settings the set still looked like it was not being fed a 1:1, even tho Nvidia reported the set as being fed a 1920x1080 signal.

Text had halos around it (white), everything looked soft, etc. It was not the 1:1 "laptop screen" look that my Westy 37 has going DVi to DVI.

I am about to return it to Best Buy...but.....could the simple addition of a DVI to HDMI cable solve my woes? Right now the set is being set TV signals, as NVIDIA under resolutions has HD/SD with lots of modes and a listing for PC. the problem is, the PC section does NOT list 1080, it only shows two oddball resolutions that the set will not accept (1600x1200 4:3 being one of them).

Anyone?

Setting the resolution to the native resolution of the TV is important and it looks like you've done that.

Now, make sure the TV is set up so that it does not overscan, scale, etc.

Also, make sure in the Nvidia console, under Display section, click on the "Adjust Desktop color settings" subsection and then set the Digital color format to YCbCr444 (there were only two options shown for me). By default, it was set to RGB. Once I did that, the text looked much better. It isn't perfect but for the money, it's great!

Edit: I saw this and thought it might be useful to folks still having problems. It's a discussion on the Nvidia forums on how to overide the EDID extension information from the TV which may be causing your computer to only allow standard overscan TV video.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...9&#entry330319
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page