Difference between HDTV and Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anybody ever done testing to truly determine the difference between and LCD HDTV and and LCD Computer Monitor? I mean there is a lot of misinformation floating around on the web, especially in enthusiast forums on both sides. Some say that they are exactly the same, but others claim that 2500 x 1600 monitors beat the pants off a 1920 x 1080 display clear as night and day. One side claims that they use the same tech, other side claims that its different and text is illegible on tvs vs monitors.

I hear a lot of talk about pixel density and native resolution, but isn't the greatest factor viewing distance? I mean past a certain resolution based on viewing distance, would the human eye not be able to discern a difference? What is the threshold where 2500 x 1600 becomes indiscernible from 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200. Does gaming at 2-3 feet away on a 21-23" 2500 x 1600 monitor truly give better image quality than gaming 7-8 feet away on a 55" 1920 x 1080 hdtv? Does pixel density hit a point of diminishing returns?

I'm truly curious as to what the experts and enthusiasts on this forum have to say and if they can point me to some controlled tests posted up on the web (or in print) to educate me in the matter. In fact, i'd like to also see a healthy discussion pop up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Liked: 12
Just get a TV with the highest resolution offered and a brand that is highly rated. Often the higher resolution will not be apparent. It depends upon your hookup and what the capability is of your other devices. It is confusing to the consumer because it is intended to be confusing to the consumer, this is not by accident.

Some hot shots on this board will scrutinize every aspect and argue every point.

Get the highest resolution TV if you can, it may not yield benefits right now but a few years down the road it will.

I'm no expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisophous View Post

Just get a TV with the highest resolution offered and a brand that is highly rated. Often the higher resolution will not be apparent. It depends upon your hookup and what the capability is of your other devices. It is confusing to the consumer because it is intended to be confusing to the consumer, this is not by accident.

Some hot shots on this board will scrutinize every aspect and argue every point.

Get the highest resolution TV if you can, it may not yield benefits right now but a few years down the road it will.

I'm no expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Oh, i'm actually not interested in buying a tv or a monitor as i have them both, i'm just curious as to the opinions on this subject.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm not really an expert, but I found a lot of TVs are set up in a way it's best to view them far away. 4 years ago, I tried to use a 46 inch Sony W3500 as a computer monitor. The picture was nice and clear, yes, but my eyes were quickly becoming tired after being exposed to such large screen nearby. Even with brightness down, the luminance was too much for me to really treat it as a monitor, the screen door effect kept me from getting closer. It definitely was doable, just a lot inconvenient.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A monitor is a display system which can accept content from different video sources(PC, TV STB,Disk ot tape player. usin gone or more video interfaces and one or more resolutions.
A HDTV is a Monitor which also has a built in HD TV Tuner and which has a native resolution of 1280x720 or higher
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page