LG 2012 TV line-up leaks! LM9600, LM8600 & PM9700 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 222 Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Not the seller That's e-bay changing things up, as they list there own specs. I reported the error. Still not fixed !
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 222 Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Denon_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

GosuGadget posted (as he admitted) a amateurish video, but it's the first look at the LM9600 outside of CES.

He said he'll get the 55LM9600 in for review in the next couple weeks.

their neighborhood competitor is making a better panel.
UN60D7050VF
or
UN55D7050VF
Denon_Kid is offline  
post #63 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Tapioca Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Caught a glimpse of this today. Some pics here. Not great pics, but pics none the less. Looks like a beautiful TV, however, glossy finish could be a turn-off for some. You can see me taking the photo.

Cold
LL
LL
Tapioca Cold is offline  
post #64 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

their neighborhood competitor is making a better panel.
UN60D7050VF
or
UN55D7050VF

The Samsung UNxxD8000 was a disaster last year. I don't remember the last time I was so happy to be able to return something. I'm giving LG a chance this next time around.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #65 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

Caught a glimpse of this today. Some pics here. Not great pics, but pics none the less. Looks like a beautiful, however, glossy finish could be a turn-off for some. You can see me taking the photo.

Cold

Awesome! How were the viewing angles? Any evidence of clouding?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #66 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Member
 
Tapioca Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was only there for a brief minute. Will head to a local shop and take a more careful look in a few days.

Honestly, it did look really beautiful. I think it was priced at around 4.5 G but i'll take a closer look at that as well next time.
Tapioca Cold is offline  
post #67 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Member
 
jeffro23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Apex,NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cool, appreciate the pics. Im deciding between the 55" 7600,8600 and 9600.

Trying to find the sweet spot between price and features.

Seems like theres about a $300 jump to the next model up. If the 9600 is that much better than the others, Id pay the premium. Not sure Ill be able to see all 3 side by side though
jeffro23 is offline  
post #68 of 222 Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Tapioca Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, jeffro23, from my own experience, there is no comparison between edge-lit and full array local dimming. Local dimming is so far above in quality. I did both Local dimming and edge lit last year and, to make a looooong story short, I returned to local dimming. (LEX8 - LW5700 - LZ9600)

If you visit all the edge-lit TV forums, there are so many people trying to reduce clouding and flashlighting.

Don't even go there. Don't try to fool yourself into thinking that an edge-lit set will make you happy, because it will not (if your care anything about PQ).

I learned my lesson. Edge-lit TV's are a waste of a hard earned dollar. The few hundred dollars more for a set that will make you eyes pop is well worth the money.

I firmly believe this.

It's basic science. How can you light something in the middle of a screen, surrounded by black, and not produce clouding? It's impossible.

Even if someone is telling you that their set does not produce flashlighting or clouding i would question their honesty. Just read the forums.

BLACK IS THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT
Tapioca Cold is offline  
post #69 of 222 Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Member
 
jeffro23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Apex,NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cool thanks. good points

i received 2 emails from LG cust svc from an email inquiry. One rep said the 8600 and 9600 will be available in March. The other said 1st week of April with the dealers actually getting them 2 weeks later.
jeffro23 is offline  
post #70 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
6athome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

Well, jeffro23, from my own experience, there is no comparison between edge-lit and full array local dimming. Local dimming is so far above in quality. I did both Local dimming and edge lit last year and, to make a looooong story short, I returned to local dimming. (LEX8 - LW5700 - LZ9600)

If you visit all the edge-lit TV forums, there are so many people trying to reduce clouding and flashlighting.

Don't even go there. Don't try to fool yourself into thinking that an edge-lit set will make you happy, because it will not (if your care anything about PQ).

I learned my lesson. Edge-lit TV's are a waste of a hard earned dollar. The few hundred dollars more for a set that will make you eyes pop is well worth the money.

I firmly believe this.

It's basic science. How can you light something in the middle of a screen, surrounded by black, and not produce clouding? It's impossible.

Even if someone is telling you that their set does not produce flashlighting or clouding i would question their honesty. Just read the forums.

BLACK IS THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT

I have the samsung led local dimming 81F model which was the first led LCD TV that a person could afford! I also picked up an LG9500 led local dimming 480 nano TV from HSN.This was a steal deal!The lg lv 9500 has the plasma glare screen cover, but other than that, this tv is first class and I also would NOT waste my money on any LED TV that does not have local dimming
6athome is offline  
post #71 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

Caught a glimpse of this today. Some pics here. Not great pics, but pics none the less. Looks like a beautiful TV, however, glossy finish could be a turn-off for some. You can see me taking the photo.

Cold

The glossy screen is definitely a no-go for me.
rjruby is offline  
post #72 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Snoopy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

That's interesting about Samsung & passive. Do you have a link to this info? Thanks.

Looks like it fell apart in November. Scratch that off the list.

http://advanced-television.com/index...dd-passive-3d/

More HD please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snoopy4 is offline  
post #73 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
WhiskeyConway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I would like a 47" matte screen for the kitchen and a 55" or larger for the family room. Both rooms are surrounded by a lot of large windows. Need 3D, and have networking at both places. I was looking at the 2011 lw5600 series for both locations. But, I am willing to wait for the new models if they have great improvements in picture quality, the bezel size doesn't matter as much.

From what I have read so far, the cinema screen is semi-glossy, which puts me on the fence. I would really like a Full Array with local dimming, such as the LM9600 series. The full LED is almost a deal breaker and its why I haven't jumped on the lw5600 series.

With that, how glossy is the semi-gloss on the new lg "cinema screen"?
WhiskeyConway is offline  
post #74 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Snoopy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Snoopy4 is offline  
post #75 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Member
 
jeffro23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Apex,NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a few companies are listing the 9600 as available for pre-order. though cant get any info as to when that will actually be

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Cinema_3D.html

though this site says Expected availability: March 31 2012
jeffro23 is offline  
post #76 of 222 Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Newbie
 
userben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to butt into your high end thread, but this one has caught my eye, good ol' ccfl LG CS460 (as I'm new I can't post the link but it's on LG's own site as coming soon) not the CS560 as stated by hdtv-news.com.
Mainly because I own a LD450 with the smudgy VA panel so I'm wondering if it will be another panel lottery this time around.
userben is offline  
post #77 of 222 Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Denon_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by userben View Post

Sorry to butt into your high end thread, but this one has caught my eye, good ol' ccfl LG CS460 (as I'm new I can't post the link but it's on LG's own site as coming soon) not the CS560 as stated by hdtv-news.com.
Mainly because I own a LD450 with the smudgy VA panel so I'm wondering if it will be another panel lottery this time around.

if led is so much better then why do they still make ccfl panels?
Denon_Kid is offline  
post #78 of 222 Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
 
expresso712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i went to BB to look at the LM6200 model -- i was interested in this model in 42 inch - but on the LG site - it says it has LED Plus - which i think is a dimmable TV - but i couldnt find any setting on the TV which would make me think it has it -

does anyone know for sure what LED PLUS actually is ? or is the PLUS only for the larger LM6200 TVs -

i really didnt like that magic remote it comes with - its a PC mouse cursor on the screen -

i really couldnt get a good look at the PQ there - was on 3D mode with a basketball game on - i put the glasses on - which are very cheap feeling - but thats ok as long as it really works - i wasnt impressed watching that game - it gave a little dept. to it - but nothing that much that would WOW me -

i am not knocking this TV - i know any TV in the stores are not at there best - i was trying to find out if it had dimming with the LED's -

i left the same way i went in - still not knowing -
expresso712 is offline  
post #79 of 222 Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

if led is so much better then why do they still make ccfl panels?

LED is *not* better than CCFL when it comes to PQ. High-end professional-level IPS displays all still use CCFL. It results in a more expensive, thicker display, but you get a wider color gamut. The reason I believe is because the LEDs used, unless they're RGB combo LEDs, are almost always a variant of Blue LED that is so close to the end of the spectrum and high in intensity that it looks almost white to the human eye.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #80 of 222 Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Denon_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

LED is *not* better than CCFL when it comes to PQ. High-end professional-level IPS displays all still use CCFL. It results in a more expensive, thicker display, but you get a wider color gamut. The reason I believe is because the LEDs used, unless they're RGB combo LEDs, are almost always a variant of Blue LED that is so close to the end of the spectrum and high in intensity that it looks almost white to the human eye.

hmmm, i guess this is why my old LB5D was much better than the LX9500 LG had to buy back from me.
Denon_Kid is offline  
post #81 of 222 Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Grandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Santa Rosa CA
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

if i had $1mil in the bank, i'll let them keep their junk at that price.

I don't usually participate actively in these threads but find them good reading.
However, your constant negative comments in this thread are getting REALLY BORING!

Brian...reporting from the left coast...
Grandude is offline  
post #82 of 222 Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I don't usually participate actively in these threads but find them good reading.
However, your constant negative comments in this thread are getting REALLY BORING!

Agreement here.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #83 of 222 Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Member
 
J-Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what panel the LM9600 will using? I wonder if it will be AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance IPS). I was also wondering if anyone knows by any chance yet how many dimming zones this model will consist of this year? I do remember that their 2011 LW9800 (which didn't make it to the mass market due to many problems) was supposed to have 288 zones but only ended up with 96 in the North American and European markets but interestingly enough the Korean market got the 288 zone version. Because of the increased # of zones, the Korean LW9800 was given great reviews, especially for the blackness, etc but the European reviews were terrible and they were wondering why and when they investigated this, they found out that the other markets' # of dimming zones were diluted down to 96 from 288.

I really hope this isn't the case this year and that LG learned their lesson from that, they should keep it at least 288 because the Korean model was pretty impressive!

Hopefully someone can answer both questions in due time. I really would like to see if this model can compete with Sharp's Elite model!

Cheers,
J-Dogg
J-Dogg is offline  
post #84 of 222 Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Member
 
jeffro23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Apex,NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im wondering whats the deal with the 9600s. Would have thought there would be reviews, news out already now that we're in mid march and these are supposed to be out in a matter of days.

Im impatient cuz my Mitsu LCD is fried and im TV-less waiting for the new LGs

not a thing on LG site
jeffro23 is offline  
post #85 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
freebits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's incorrect information. LW9800 in Korea also had the same 96 dimming zones and many customers tried to get refund due to LG's false advertisement.
btw, I'm from Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post

Does anyone know what panel the LM9600 will using? I wonder if it will be AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance IPS). I was also wondering if anyone knows by any chance yet how many dimming zones this model will consist of this year? I do remember that their 2011 LW9800 (which didn't make it to the mass market due to many problems) was supposed to have 288 zones but only ended up with 96 in the North American and European markets but interestingly enough the Korean market got the 288 zone version. Because of the increased # of zones, the Korean LW9800 was given great reviews, especially for the blackness, etc but the European reviews were terrible and they were wondering why and when they investigated this, they found out that the other markets' # of dimming zones were diluted down to 96 from 288.

I really hope this isn't the case this year and that LG learned their lesson from that, they should keep it at least 288 because the Korean model was pretty impressive!

Hopefully someone can answer both questions in due time. I really would like to see if this model can compete with Sharp's Elite model!

Cheers,
J-Dogg

freebits is offline  
post #86 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Denon_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

It's incorrect information. LW9800 in Korea also had the same 96 dimming zones and many customers tried to get refund due to LG's false advertisement.
btw, I'm from Korea.

LG is full of false advertising. maybe not intentionally, but then again, maybe intentionally.

so have any of their CES flagship crud been released to any markets yet?

my LB5D is still working good.
Denon_Kid is offline  
post #87 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Member
 
J-Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

It's incorrect information. LW9800 in Korea also had the same 96 dimming zones and many customers tried to get refund due to LG's false advertisement.
btw, I'm from Korea.

oh really? I thought I read somewhere that the Koreans actually had 288? My mistake then, sorry!
J-Dogg is offline  
post #88 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I don't usually participate actively in these threads but find them good reading.
However, your constant negative comments in this thread are getting REALLY BORING!

And transparent.

sheshechic is offline  
post #89 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tempest261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post

Does anyone know what panel the LM9600 will using? I wonder if it will be AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance IPS). I was also wondering if anyone knows by any chance yet how many dimming zones this model will consist of this year? I do remember that their 2011 LW9800 (which didn't make it to the mass market due to many problems) was supposed to have 288 zones but only ended up with 96 in the North American and European markets but interestingly enough the Korean market got the 288 zone version. Because of the increased # of zones, the Korean LW9800 was given great reviews, especially for the blackness, etc but the European reviews were terrible and they were wondering why and when they investigated this, they found out that the other markets' # of dimming zones were diluted down to 96 from 288.

I really hope this isn't the case this year and that LG learned their lesson from that, they should keep it at least 288 because the Korean model was pretty impressive!

Hopefully someone can answer both questions in due time. I really would like to see if this model can compete with Sharp's Elite model!

Cheers,
J-Dogg


The fact that they're using passive 3D is evidence that it's an IPS panel of some sort. It would make sense, since LG is the largest manufacturer of IPS panels. This could be great news for those of us who hate the viewing angles on the current crop of TVs from Samsung and Sony (using VA panels in 2012).

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

 

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

 

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

 

Tempest261 is offline  
post #90 of 222 Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Denon_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

The fact that they're using passive 3D is evidence that it's an IPS panel of some sort. It would make sense, since LG is the largest manufacturer of IPS panels. This could be great news for those of us who hate the viewing angles on the current crop of TVs from Samsung and Sony (using VA panels in 2012).

was LM9600 at CES 2012??
Denon_Kid is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off