Physical clouding on my LCD and it never disapper - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a long story. First my thinkpad T60 notebook LCD start to not able to have backlight once I turn the light level to maximum. I tried to use a new inverter and it doesn't work. I did a lot of research and found out it should be the CCFL get old then using too much voltage problem. Changing CCFL is complicated so I ask nearby store and it requires around $65 US dollars to do so, while second hand market is just around 3 times of this price for my notebook, then I decide just to use lower light level.

After light can set at maximum level, I clean my LCD as usual with a cleaner for monitor, then somehow some "clouding" looking on the screen. I thought this would disappear after days, but even after 2 weeks, it is still there. I bought a 3M screen cleaner and try to clean it up, but it doesn't. The clouding is almost 80% of the screen now with all at the middle and just spread out but not touching the edges yet.

Any solution for this? Could this be just some of the LCD panel chemical have been changed after the CCFL had too high voltage and heat for too long time before finally cannot turn on maximum light level? Or just the panel is too old (5 to 6 years old) then just it is time for the chemical decay!?

I just took and pic and update this post with it!
LL
crunchor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It's hard to see any clouding because of that obnoxious flash at the lower right of the screen.

If your problem is caused by a screen cleaner, it would not surprise me. What I CAN see looks like possibly permanent streaks (not clouding) on the screen. That's why I just use water and a microfiber cloth for my computers and my TVs.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

It's hard to see any clouding because of that obnoxious flash at the lower right of the screen.

If your problem is caused by a screen cleaner, it would not surprise me. What I CAN see looks like possibly permanent streaks (not clouding) on the screen. That's why I just use water and a microfiber cloth for my computers and my TVs.

Permanent streaks are what happening, and actually it is like 80% of the whole screen area now, from middle spread out, but somehow around the edge there aren't.

It only happened after my backlight has problem and cannot turn on the maximum level of light for more than 10 seconds, so now I only use very low level light now. After this and I clean the screen as usual, this happens! I always use that cleaner for years without any problem. So I am pretty sure it is related to the backlight.....
crunchor is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope someone would know what is going on...
crunchor is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
seem like this is a very rarely happen special case..almost no people have idea..
crunchor is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

seem like this is a very rarely happen special case..almost no people have idea..

nope
pay for repair or buy new laptop
dm145 is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

nope
pay for repair or buy new laptop

The light bulb gets old is common, but the screen become like this is uncommon right? If I replace my whole LCD, pretty sure more expensive than the price I can sell the whole laptop in second hand.
crunchor is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I would agree with BoilerJim. It looks like streaking from use of a "screen cleaner". Probably a combination of both issues. LCD panels (or any computer/tv panel for that matter) should only be cleaned with a clean micofiber cloth and warm distilled water. Turning the backlight to maximum is never a good idea anyway (including tv's) so you're probably s.o.l. on this one and will either have to deal with the workaround, pay for repairs, or better yet, just buy a new one. A laptop that is 5 or 6 years old is getting long in the tooth.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I would agree with BoilerJim. It looks like streaking from use of a "screen cleaner". Probably a combination of both issues. LCD panels (or any computer/tv panel for that matter) should only be cleaned with a clean micofiber cloth and warm distilled water. Turning the backlight to maximum is never a good idea anyway (including tv's) so you're probably s.o.l. on this one and will either have to deal with the workaround, pay for repairs, or better yet, just buy a new one. A laptop that is 5 or 6 years old is getting long in the tooth.

Yes I used screen cleaner and this happened. But before the backlight has problem, I alays used the same cleaner to clean this laptop monitor for at least 3 years without any problem. Now after having the backlight problem, I tried to clean the lcd then this happend. So still have no idea what is that. If I see from the side, look like some oil streaking.
crunchor is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Maybe the streaking was there all along due to the cleaner and you never noticed it until you started having backlight problems. Now you have two problems, flaky backlighting highlighting a streaked screen.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaldorfSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nr. Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

Yes I used screen cleaner and this happened. But before the backlight has problem, I alays used the same cleaner to clean this laptop monitor for at least 3 years without any problem. Now after having the backlight problem, I tried to clean the lcd then this happend. So still have no idea what is that. If I see from the side, look like some oil streaking.

As someone who repairs laptops for a living I think I can safely say that you need a new lcd screen. I don't even try to replace backlights, its too easy to do more damage, get dirt inside the panel, uneven lighting, etc. A new screen replacement will likely set you back around $50-75 plus 1 hour labor. Be warned though that T60 screen assemblies are delicate and its real easy to damage the fragile ribbon cables. As for the streaking you probably damaged the front polarizing layer.
WaldorfSalad is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

As someone who repairs laptops for a living I think I can safely say that you need a new lcd screen. I don't even try to replace backlights, its too easy to do more damage, get dirt inside the panel, uneven lighting, etc. A new screen replacement will likely set you back around $50-75 plus 1 hour labor. Be warned though that T60 screen assemblies are delicate and its real easy to damage the fragile ribbon cables. As for the streaking you probably damaged the front polarizing layer.

front polarizing layer..is it that easy to get damaged? I thought replacing the panel is so expensive...
crunchor is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Maybe the streaking was there all along due to the cleaner and you never noticed it until you started having backlight problems. Now you have two problems, flaky backlighting highlighting a streaked screen.

May be..but I think the screen didn't have this problem...I always check out the screen like once a month as a habit...
crunchor is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an idea that if the light blub is fixed and work as normal, the light level would heat up the stuff in the panel..then these streaks would vapor and disappear.....just I guess this is possible.
crunchor is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will try to take a new photo with the whole screen to show you guys how it looks like.
crunchor is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just took some photos but too hard to see any of these on the photos.....
crunchor is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No one has new idea..then I sleep first..
crunchor is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You have been given some good advice so I'd suggest you follow it. One, use only a microfiber cloth and warm, distilled water to clean your screen because it sounds like over time you have damaged the polarization film and two, repair your laptop's LCD panel for the back lighting issue. Or, ideally, buy a new laptop.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You have been given some good advice so I'd suggest you follow it. One, use only a microfiber cloth and warm, distilled water to clean your screen because it sounds like over time you have damaged the polarization film and two, repair your laptop's LCD panel for the back lighting issue. Or, ideally, buy a new laptop.

+1000

enough already
dm145 is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaldorfSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nr. Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

I have an idea that if the light blub is fixed and work as normal, the light level would heat up the stuff in the panel..then these streaks would vapor and disappear.....just I guess this is possible.

Where do you get those crazy ideas? Again, you most likely need a new LCD panel (and then be careful how you clean it), which may set you back $150 for parts & labor, but a new laptop would cost you a lot more than that ($300-350 tax minimum for an entry level laptop).

Btw, have you actually taken your laptop into a repair shop for a diagnosis of the problem? You may get lucky and just be the inverter which is a relatively inexpensive repair.
WaldorfSalad is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Extreme_Boky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post


Btw, have you actually taken your laptop into a repair shop for a diagnosis of the problem? You may get lucky and just be the inverter which is a relatively inexpensive repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

No one has new idea..then I sleep first..

The above idea seems sensible; do it the moment you wake up.

Boky
Extreme_Boky is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You have been given some good advice so I'd suggest you follow it. One, use only a microfiber cloth and warm, distilled water to clean your screen because it sounds like over time you have damaged the polarization film and two, repair your laptop's LCD panel for the back lighting issue. Or, ideally, buy a new laptop.

I don't really understand. I use the cleaner which is designed for cleaning computer monitor. How can it be bad for the screen? I heard and I think it is logical that normal water is bad for screen and screen is not designed to be cleaned by water.

How do polarization film gets damaged? Can it be because I use tissue to clean?

This happened right after my black-light has problem, you guys really think has no relationship with it?
crunchor is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Where do you get those crazy ideas? Again, you most likely need a new LCD panel (and then be careful how you clean it), which may set you back $150 for parts & labor, but a new laptop would cost you a lot more than that ($300-350 tax minimum for an entry level laptop).

Btw, have you actually taken your laptop into a repair shop for a diagnosis of the problem? You may get lucky and just be the inverter which is a relatively inexpensive repair.

I bought a new inverter and it doesn't help. Now the back light would just on and off and sometimes just turn off even i turn to the lowest level, almost 100% sure it is the back light out of service.
crunchor is offline  
post #24 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I'm done. You guys can take over.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I'm done. You guys can take over.

seriously, I spent like $5 US dollars to buy professional monitor cleaner but water works better? And the cleaner damage the screen? I am open minded but I need something to believe that...
crunchor is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

seriously, I spent like $5 US dollars to buy professional monitor cleaner but water works better? And the cleaner damage the screen? I am open minded but I need something to believe that...

There have been many threads regarding how to clean an LCD screen posted on this Forum in the past four years and the use of a microfiber cloth and distilled water is regarded to be the best solution.

I agree with those who think it's time to take your PC to a shop and have the problem professionally diagnosed or simply decide that it's time to buy a new one.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

There have been many threads regarding how to clean an LCD screen posted on this Forum in the past four years and the use of a microfiber cloth and distilled water is regarded to be the best solution.

I agree with those who think it's time to take your PC to a shop and have the problem professionally diagnosed or simply decide that it's time to buy a new one.

Just google, you will find out most of the people in the world believe put some water your LCD screen is one of the fastest ways to destroy it.
crunchor is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor View Post

Just google, you will find out most of the people in the world believe put some water your LCD screen is one of the fastest ways to destroy it.

That's funny. If that's true, why would Samsung include a microfiber cloth with their TVs and say to use water, wiping in only one direction?

You do what you want. Like Otto, I'm done with this thread because...

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!!
BoilerJim is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That's funny. If that's true, why would Samsung include a microfiber cloth with their TVs and say to use water, wiping in only one direction?

You do what you want. Like Otto, I'm done with this thread because...

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!!

Why don't you show us a samsung LCD manual and which page did they mention it? I am using a samsung 24: monitor as well, and I saw people in internet in my local area saying hat microfiber scratch monitor so I never use it.
crunchor is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
crunchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That's funny. If that's true, why would Samsung include a microfiber cloth with their TVs and say to use water, wiping in only one direction?

You do what you want. Like Otto, I'm done with this thread because...

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!!

HERE:

Use a soft, damp cloth with a "monitorexclusive
cleansing agent" and wipe the
product with it.

from a new model Samsung LCD monitor manual

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...subtype=others

page 8
crunchor is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off