Buying refurbished tv worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hello guys, is buying a refurbished LED 3D tv worth it? because i am planning to buy a refurbished LED 3D at sony.com website. but i am not sure if it is the good idea rather than buying the brand new one. so if they said refurbished is it something wrong with that TV and repair and sell it again? i gladly appreciate for youre response and giving me idea what is the best. thank you.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It is not a good idea. They rarely refurbish the tvs, they just clean them up and send them out unless it's some easily seen defect. And then you don't want the tv cause it will never be completely right.

Buy a new tv, get a full warranty and don't buy someone else's damaged merchandise.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It really depends how much the discount is. In general, I don't think the discounts on Sony Style for their outlet/refurbished TVs is that great. You can often find better deals in the stores, especially if you have some of the big discount stores in your area.

As far as quality, I don't think you have to worry there. I've bought dozens of refurbished items over the years. With one exception, the refurbished items have always been of equal quality compared to the new in box items. The one exception was (ironically) a refurb Sony SACD player from the Sony website.

The first one had a right analog output, the 2nd one was brand new but damaged in transit, the 3rd didn't work at all. After that, I asked for a refund.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #4 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

It is not a good idea. They rarely refurbish the tvs, they just clean them up and send them out unless it's some easily seen defect. And then you don't want the tv cause it will never be completely right.

Buy a new tv, get a full warranty and don't buy someone else's damaged merchandise.

Buying refurbished tv worth it? My short answer is a resounding "NO" for the reasons mes444 stated and because I can afford not to take the chance. Heck, I've never bought a used car in my life and I certainly wouldn't buy a used TV.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sorry, but you guys are offering bad advice. Never bought a used car? Obviously not the best person to give advice when it comes to money. I'm glad you like paying top dollar for everything and can live with huge depreciation.

There is no reason to completely dismiss refurbished TVs or any items for that matter. Saying that they don't refurbish them is complete nonsense. If the TV was defective and sent back, then it had the bad part (PC board usually) replaced. They are not going to ship it back out in the same non-working condition. That would be a waste for them because it would just come back a 2nd time. Now, if the TV was returned due to customer dissatisfaction, there is usually nothing wrong with the TV in the first place. Some people send back for many reasons, most of which is not related to the quality of the TV.

Like I said, it all depends on the discount.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #6 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

The trouble is you don't know how much it was used and how it was treated. Might last a long time or not last very long.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thank you guys for youre opinions, because when i go to sony website outlet, they have it their the Sony KDL55NX810 (refurbisshed) for $1499.99. that is why i dont know if that is a good price for that tv model. and the new one is $1999.99.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #8 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Sorry, but you guys are offering bad advice. Never bought a used car? Obviously not the best person to give advice when it comes to money. I'm glad you like paying top dollar for everything and can live with huge depreciation.
There is no reason to completely dismiss refurbished TVs or any items for that matter. Saying that they don't refurbish them is complete nonsense. If the TV was defective and sent back, then it had the bad part (PC board usually) replaced. They are not going to ship it back out in the same non-working condition. That would be a waste for them because it would just come back a 2nd time. Now, if the TV was returned due to customer dissatisfaction, there is usually nothing wrong with the TV in the first place. Some people send back for many reasons, most of which is not related to the quality of the TV.

Like I said, it all depends on the discount.

My first car was used because my parents bought it for me. Yes, I buy only new cars and keep them an average of 6-8 years and then relegate them to 2nd car status when buying a new one. I've also never traded in one of my own "used" cars, preferring to sell them myself. It's much more cost efficient that way.

Since you know nothing about me peronally, I think most people who do know me actually think I'm pretty savvy when it comes to financial transactions.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Buying refurbished tv worth it? My short answer is a resounding "NO" for the reasons mes444 stated and because I can afford not to take the chance. Heck, I've never bought a used car in my life and I certainly wouldn't buy a used TV.

It must be nice to be able to buy everything new, but I have bought many refurbished items and used items over the years and have very little problems and probably no more than if I had bought new. If the refurbished item is priced reasonably enough and a warranty is issued with the item (and the possibility of being able to purchase an extended warranty is available) then it can make for a very worthwhile purchase.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

thank you guys for youre opinions, because when i go to sony website outlet, they have it their the Sony KDL55NX810 (refurbisshed) for $1499.99. that is why i dont know if that is a good price for that tv model. and the new one is $1999.99.

Best thing to do is explore elsewhere what the TV can be purchased for and then determine if it's enough of a discount. Many refurbished items I have purchased in the past were hardly distinguishable between a new item.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YES.

as long as the seller is reputable and it comes with a decent warranty.

Known many people (myself included) who have bought refurb'd tv's, most often from Amazon.

Just make sure you put the display through it's paces and give it a good testing, so if there are any issues, you know right away. But you should be doing that with any display.

As far as Sony goes, I have dealt with them. They replaced one of my older displays with a newer refurb. It had a dead pixel, I called them and they replaced it with another and that set was perfect.

Don't let these others people scare you away from a good deal.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

And your source for this information? Is it based on fact or your opinion?

I bought a refurbished HK receiver and a refurbished Samsung 23" PC monitor. Both looked like new, and work perfectly.

Refurbished items from reputable manufacturers are generally given a full test and replace any parts which are defective. They are are not put up for sale unless they are 100% functionally equivalent to a new model. The real risk is slight cosmetic damage, neither of which my HK or Sammy exhibited.

If you want to save $500, go for it.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I've never bought a refurb panel, but I have bought other electronic devices as refurbs. Never had a problem, but I always check the warranty along with the price break. Sometimes the warranty is the same as what you get with the "new" product. Some people buy extended warranties for products, which I never do. A lot depends on the comfort level of the individual and the amount of money involved - for either thing.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #14 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thank you guys, what did u think, $1499.99 kdl55nx810 is a good deal for a refurbz?or should i buy a new one?

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #15 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

thank you guys, what did u think, $1499.99 kdl55nx810 is a good deal for a refurbz?or should i buy a new one?

I'll just make one last comment...

The NX810 is no longer a current model in the Sony line-up. It has essentially been replaced by the very excellent HX820. Because of this, I personally think the price for the refurbished one model year old NX810 is too high. However, as I always say, it's your money and your choice.

Good luck in your decision.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I'll just make one last comment...

The NX810 is no longer a current model in the Sony line-up. It has essentially been replaced by the very excellent HX820. Because of this, I personally think the price for the refurbished one model year old NX810 is too high. However, as I always say, it's your money and your choice.

Good luck in your decision.

Bottom line is knowing what you can afford and what the best prices are that are out there and available. I would suggest to the OP that he check Amazon for the newer 820. Pretty sweet deal and Amazon has a very liberal return policy. The new set also comes with a full factory warranty while the refurb is 90 days.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page