Official Hisense TV thread - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 142 Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenf00t View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by gsr852

Today I found the proverbial " needle in a haystack". My only critique is that I can not figure out a way to turn off the soap opera effect. At the end of the day, I am beyond pleased...

I have the 55 inch but I presume the settings are the same. Just disable the 120hz effect located in something like Video->Advanced Settings.

Has to be done for each input.
when you disable the 120hz doesnt that make the TV 60Hz ?

btw how is the motion blur and input lag on these TVs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunaz View Post
when you disable the 120hz doesnt that make the TV 60Hz ?

btw how is the motion blur and input lag on these TVs?
Regarding motion blur are and input lag are acceptable for me. But based on the discussions I am seeing on these and other 30Hz 4k sets it is very dependent on your expectations. I don't notice any thing too different when moving my mouse cursor and grabbing a window and moving it around vs. 60Hz on another LCD monitor. Given the higher resolution I had to increase the mouse sensitivity to be able to span the available windows space with a typical mouse movement. Otherwise it can be frustrating having to move the mouse, pick it up/down and move it again. Not using it for gaming and don't expect to.

One thing I learned is that in order to use the Nvidia 60Hz with HDMI 1.4 feature your TV needs to support it as well YUV4:2:0. In my Nvidia control panel I only see the option for 4:4:4 YUV and RGB. So I can't set YUV4:2:0. My guess is the Hisense does not support this mode. I also do not get any option to do 60Hz about 1080p resolutions.

Can someone confirm the latest FW revision. My set is showing "version: V00.01.100a.E0317" and when I try to do a FW update via the internet on the TV it says I have the latest version. But on the Hisense website the latest rev is "D1104".
post #123 of 142 Old 10-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Any info on pc gaming on the 4k Hisense? I'm looking for 4k@60hz and 1080@120hz, I have a titan and the 4:2:0 does not bother me. Is the 65H8CG limited to 30hz at 4k?
post #124 of 142 Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Also interested in info on this model sold at costco: 65H8CG

Seems great for the price, but assuming it is too good to be true.
post #125 of 142 Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
Any info on pc gaming on the 4k Hisense? I'm looking for 4k@60hz and 1080@120hz, I have a titan and the 4:2:0 does not bother me. Is the 65H8CG limited to 30hz at 4k?
You need to ask HiSense if that model supports 4:2:0. My 55T880UW does not. Even if you GPU supports this mode, the TV needs to support it as well or else the 4:2:0 color space option will not be active in the Nvidia control panel. I was also not able to set 1080@120Hz. It was not enabled in my driver options. I heard that this only works on the 50" Seiki FW, but worked on a 40" model after flashing the FW. My guess is that the Hisense FW does not support it currently.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 11-08-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #126 of 142 Old 11-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Searched this thread, but didn't see anything mentioned regarding the Hisense 40H4C. Has built in roku and $280 at best buy right now. I'm looking for a 40" TV and if this can compete with the Sony KDL40R380B that is around the same price I'd be interested in it. Would mean one less this to be hooked up, although many of the things I'd want on roku are already available on my PS4.

Either way, anyone have a take on the 40H4C? On Amazon the similar TCL seems to get solid reviews.
post #127 of 142 Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy View Post
Searched this thread, but didn't see anything mentioned regarding the Hisense 40H4C. Has built in roku and $280 at best buy right now. I'm looking for a 40" TV and if this can compete with the Sony KDL40R380B that is around the same price I'd be interested in it. Would mean one less this to be hooked up, although many of the things I'd want on roku are already available on my PS4.

Either way, anyone have a take on the 40H4C? On Amazon the similar TCL seems to get solid reviews.
I'd be interested in this also. It got "Best 40in TV" in Tom's Guide. Esp interested in motion blur for watching sports.
post #128 of 142 Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 PM

dp
post #129 of 142 Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone seen or ordered the new Hisense 65" 4k ULED tv? I seen they are available at Costco for a super cheap price, http://www.costco.com/Hisense-65%22-...100120702.html
post #130 of 142 Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's an amazing price for a 65in!!
post #131 of 142 Old 12-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Does anybody know what panel Hisense 55t880uw uses? AUO or LG?
Could you inform panel model number if possible?
post #132 of 142 Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Man, the 65" 4k 65H8CG is down to $999 at Costco: http://www.costco.com/Hisense-65%22-...100120702.html

I wish there was a full review out there... anywhere.... even a videophile personal experience... from what I know of Hisense/Chinese TV's it seems that TCL makes the panels and along with Hisense are the 2 main Chinese brands worth anything at all... I suppose I can go to the store and check it out, but it looks like at least 1 HDMI is 4k 60Hz... I think it's a true 120Hz for 1080p with 240 motion software.
post #133 of 142 Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
I wish there was a full review out there... anywhere.... even a videophile personal experience... from what I know of Hisense/Chinese TV's it seems that TCL makes the panels and along with Hisense are the 2 main Chinese brands worth anything at all... I suppose I can go to the store and check it out, but it looks like at least 1 HDMI is 4k 60Hz... I think it's a true 120Hz for 1080p with 240 motion software.
By the time I thought about checking it out, they no longer had one in the local stores. Given all the issues with getting the Samsung models and 4k/60 support working at full color depth, I have a hard time believing that the Hisense ones are any better. If you find out differently, PLEASE let us know. I am leaning towards the JVC 65" now, but am a couple months out from a purchase still.
post #134 of 142 Old 12-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illrigger View Post
By the time I thought about checking it out, they no longer had one in the local stores. Given all the issues with getting the Samsung models and 4k/60 support working at full color depth, I have a hard time believing that the Hisense ones are any better. If you find out differently, PLEASE let us know. I am leaning towards the JVC 65" now, but am a couple months out from a purchase still.
Sure, I'll be sure to post here if I find out anything but the model isn't even listed on the company web site... Also with no 4K media players for non-Sony's and this one not having the Netflix built in either, it would take a $325+ video card to stream 4K content at 60Hz to this anyway, and that's BEFORE we get into the 4:4:4 at what color depth issues etc... So ya, if you must buy a cheap 65" 4K now, this would be the deal to get but still too many bleeding edge issues to work out for now... but I wonder if the 1080P upscaling is good or a gimmick as well... if it actually made 1080P content look better without any special equipment, then that could be a plus too.
post #135 of 142 Old 01-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Liked: 22
Hisense 55" 55k610gwn

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to weigh in to this "official" thread, as I just recently acquired the 55" set I mentioned above. I bought a factory refurb, delivered to my door. For $525 CDN total (taxes and shipping all in) this set is off the hook, considering the set is 55", smart, and 120Hz. According to my PS3, the display is 3D capable as well, even though this is not advertised.

I've been a big fan of discount TV brands, as I've known so many people who buy expensive sets, do no adjustments, and have lousy pictures. My experience has been that almost any well-adjusted value set can look better than a poorly adjusted brand name set. For example, I have a 4 year old 40" Dynex LCD from Best Buy that has better adjustability and viewing angles than an LG 47" LCD that predated it by 1 year. Back in the mid-2000s, I also had an old Viore (yes, Viore) DLP that I could adjust better than a friend's wicked expensive JVC d-ila set.

Also did some research into both Haier as well as Hisense before purchasing the TV. Both are Chinese OEMs who are now getting into branding their own products, and are marketing them direct into North America. Apparently these two brand names are more common in other parts of the world, and I do own an 8-year old Haier air conditioner that has had the holy hell kicked out of it, yet it still functions as designed.

These TVs seem to be shrouded in mystery. Does Hisense make their own panels then sell them to others? Do others make panels that Hisense then buys? Is it related somehow to an LG, Samsung, or other mainline brand? Or did Hisense make OEM brands Insignia, Dynex, etc for other manufacturers, and is just now branding them themselves? The Internet is about as reliable as a Dollar Tree watch in presenting any information concretely.

However, the main deciding factor for me was that "the" local "prestige" electronics retailer started carrying Hisense TVs. This retailer has built a reputation on quality products and service, and would not risk its reputation on carrying something of an inferior nature. To give some context, this retailer is where you go locally to hear premium turntable demonstrations, and carries brands such as Anthem, Arcam, McIntosh, and Marantz.

So based on this endorsement, I thought it would be worth taking a flyer on the set especially considering the price, and the fact that after four years, I could no longer take the glare off my 50" LG plasma anymore. It now resides happily in the basement. And to help out those thinking of buying a Hisense TV, I thought it may be of value to post a descriptive breakdown on the TV to help them make a decision on giving a chance to a new Chinese manufacturer.

Appearance: It looks like a TV. However, it does have a narrow silver trimmed bezel, and a reasonably sized , traditionally-styled base. When powered off, the Hisense logo at the bottom of the screen is illuminated (sexy!). So from an appearance perspective, it is a step above generic TVs from 2nd and 3rd tier brands, and has a look comparable to the mainline TVs.

Connections: Plenty galore, including 4 HDMI in and optical audio out. I run everything through a NAD receiver to one HDMI input, and everything worked flawlessly with no HDMI handshake or drop issues.

Remote: I use a Harmony, but this remote is also well above those seen in the 2nd and 3rd tier manufacturers. It is solid in heft, with an aluminum trimmed navigation circle, and one-touch buttons for smart apps such as Netflix, Vudu, and YouTube. With a white back on the remote, it looks clean and modern, and has well-marked good functionality. Only negative is an absence of backlighting. Regardless, this remote is well-above anything I have seen in a discount TV previously, and is again comparable with a remote seen on a mainline brand TV.

Manual: Poor, with basic set-up info, and a link to the manual on the Hisense website. Not an issue for me, but certainly could be a problem for the less technically inclined.

Initial Set-Up: Easy and flawless, with well-translated menus walking you through your initial setup. No issues connecting to my home wi-fi.

On-Screen menus: Easy to navigate, logically set up, and with plenty of choices to keep the tweaker tweaking for weeks. Plus picture adjustments minimize to a slider bar when being adjusted, allowing you to see the effect of your changes across the entire screen.

Sound: User a receiver, HTIB, or sound bar. The dimensions of these TVs means that built in speakers will sound bad. Period.

Picture quality: Well this is really the important part, isn't it? Out of the box, the thing looked ghastly. Way too hot, and light colored areas solarized. Issues with skin tones. A quick visit through the different video presets confirmed that all showed that none really met my standards for image. Too dark or too light. Colors tending towards the cooler end of the spectrum.

Also, when the screen was on but no image fed, there was both clouding and flashlighting.....quite badly I must add.

So after changing the temperature to warm, ensuring the sharpness wasn't overcranked, setting the 120hz effect to "low", pixel mapping 1 to 1, and adjusting the contrast and brightness to reasonable levels (using greyscale bars), I was pleased to find:
- Skin tones were natural
- Black levels were good
- Flashlighting and clouding were now low and tolerable (based on comparisons of testing done on rtings.com)
- Smearing and streaking were near undetectable, with no extraordinay lag issues

The downside was this TV now showed all of the flaws in my satellite signal (fed at its native 1080i). Macroblocking, signal compression, etc. were all visible within 5' of the TV. 10' away, these were no longer distracting. The challenges of frame interpolation with this also appeared to cause some judder, and odd refreshes of the screen.

Overall though, the HD picture was sharp, clear, and well defined. Noise reduction on low seemed effective, and smoothed the feed without crushing it. And as expected, SD signals looked poor with excessive image softness, though I will explore this more to see if the image can be improved between my receiver and the TV. Any SD signal blown up to 55" will look poor, period, though there may still be room for improvement here.

However, the better test (to me) is blu-ray (via my PS3), as I'm not dealing with the bandwidth limitations caused by my satellite provider. In went one of my favorite demo discs, Despicable Me 2. The result? In one word, superb.

Detail was fantastic, including even near microscopic details, such as the frizzy strands of Edith's pink knit hat clearly visible. Textures were crisp, clear, and well-defined, colors popped, and black levels were good. The 120hz effect also smoothed the picture effectively, with no detected artifacts, skips, or strange interpolations. Certainly very bright to very dark transitions combined with quick movement didn't have the crisp smooth flow my plasma had, but what sub $2,000 LED does? It was notably better than both my FIL's Samsung and my brother's Sony. A friend has a higher-end Panasonic, and the Hisense gave up very little to the Panny. I would wager the less tech-minded would have difficulty discerning between the two.

One of the few online reviews of this set suggests the picture tends strongly towards blue. It certainly did out of the box, though using a warm setting made the picture look very natural to me.

Overall, I am very pleased with the picture the set had, and it reinforces that virtually any set can be made to look bad or good, all depending on how much time and effort one is willing to put in to making the picture look good. I do sill need to put it through a "live sports" test, but am concerned that the highly compressed satellite feed I have will somewhat color this test. Based on the quality of the video for Despicable Me 2, I also suspect this TV will be suitable for at least the casual gamer.

Apps: They worked well, with less load/lag time than I get from my PS3, and they positively destroyed the load time I got from my old Panasonic Smart Blu-Ray player. I do have bandwidth issues where I live, and did encounter some lag and drop of resolution - I would tend to assign fault for this to the Internet connection more than I would to the TV.

In summary, if you are on a budget, and are looking for a TV with a few bells and whistles, then I would suggest taking a good long look at this product from Hisense. Is it a perfect TV? No, but I saw nothing that indicates its performance was inferior to mid range offerings from the mainline manufacturers, especially considering the price. I cannot comment to long-term durability or customer service, but purchasing from a reputable dealer should certainly manage this risk for you. Plus, at the price of the set, you should be able to afford some extended warranty.

...one final thought...

In some respects, my experience with this TV reminds me of my experience with my first Samsung (a 27" CRT). When I bought it back in 1999, I really would have liked a Sony or Hitachi, even though the picture was only marginally superior. However, the Hitachi and Sony were 20-35% more than the Samsung, and I just could not afford it at the time. So home came the Samsung, and it gave me yeoman service for many years, despite that I was told it was "inferior quality" and "Korean junk".

As we know, Korean manufacturing has since caught up with Japanese manufacturing, and Samsung is now a brand of choice for many who are shopping for TVs. But to get their foot into the North American market, Samsung needed to be priced in a way to get the brand name recognition, and to build up customer loyalty.

I am thinking this is the same path Hisense is taking. Build a quality product, and sell it for low margin, just to get the brand built in the marketplace. One only has to look back 3 years, and Hisense didn't exist in North America. Now it can be found at a number of retailers, and I expect this number to grow, much like it did for Samsung. Who knows, 10-12 years from now, Hisense may be the next Samsung?

"Music and beer are proof that God loves us" - Apologies to Benjamin Franklin

NAD T748, Wharfedale SP-89(M), AR MC.1 (C), Mirage MBS (R) [Main HT Setup]

NAD 7125, JBL E60, Philips DD, Ortofon Cartridge, H/K CD [Basement Stereo Setup]

post #136 of 142 Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Great post, thanks for sharing your experience! And yes, when it comes to these emerging Chinese brands there isn't much known for sure on them... however I do maintain my theory that TCL supplies all the panels for Chinese production... TCL, Hisense and Haier are all decent quality stuff worth checking out. From what your review covered, it sounds like they need to work on better default PQ settings if they wish to be taken more seriously in this market. Sure, AV nerds like us don't mind spending an hour dialing in our picture but the general population definitely doesn't want to nor would it look good on showroom floor.
post #137 of 142 Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
And yes, when it comes to these emerging Chinese brands there isn't much known for sure on them... however I do maintain my theory that TCL supplies all the panels for Chinese production... TCL, Hisense and Haier ......
Interesting idea because I have the Haier LE50F2280and recently bought the Hisense 50H5G Smart TV. While I was programming my Harmony remote for the Hisense I noticed the Haier started turning on and off. I tested the Hisense remote and all the normal functions worked, on the Haier. Any button that didn't have a corresponding function just triggered the input menu.

I have to say though the Hisense picture was amazing right at power up. The Haier though I ended up getting the service menu code for it to tweak.
post #138 of 142 Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rabid1 View Post
Interesting idea because I have the Haier LE50F2280and recently bought the Hisense 50H5G Smart TV. While I was programming my Harmony remote for the Hisense I noticed the Haier started turning on and off. I tested the Hisense remote and all the normal functions worked, on the Haier. Any button that didn't have a corresponding function just triggered the input menu.

I have to say though the Hisense picture was amazing right at power up. The Haier though I ended up getting the service menu code for it to tweak.
It definitely sounds like Haier and Hisense are very closely related, probably even directly related brand names for the same company... in the fine print on the labels of each does it give a parent company? As far as the panels, I base my theory on the fact that I DO know that TCL makes panels and there are few panel makers in the world, really, and most of them are either Korea, Japan or Taiwan I believe...
post #139 of 142 Old 01-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
It definitely sounds like Haier and Hisense are very closely related, probably even directly related brand names for the same company... in the fine print on the labels of each does it give a parent company? As far as the panels, I base my theory on the fact that I DO know that TCL makes panels and there are few panel makers in the world, really, and most of them are either Korea, Japan or Taiwan I believe...
I believe they are two big Chinese competing companies - probably a good comparison would be Samsung and LG (appliances, electronics, etc.)

My guess is that they will buy the same or similar parts from a different Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean subcontractor, so they work on the same remote RF. Same as how a "Fluid" brand TV I bought worked with LG codes. I'm not sure any companies make a product end-to-end anymore, and they all will buy components from a subcontractor.

"Music and beer are proof that God loves us" - Apologies to Benjamin Franklin

NAD T748, Wharfedale SP-89(M), AR MC.1 (C), Mirage MBS (R) [Main HT Setup]

NAD 7125, JBL E60, Philips DD, Ortofon Cartridge, H/K CD [Basement Stereo Setup]

post #140 of 142 Old 01-09-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
I believe they are two big Chinese competing companies - probably a good comparison would be Samsung and LG (appliances, electronics, etc.)

My guess is that they will buy the same or similar parts from a different Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean subcontractor, so they work on the same remote RF. Same as how a "Fluid" brand TV I bought worked with LG codes. I'm not sure any companies make a product end-to-end anymore, and they all will buy components from a subcontractor.
You're correct, a quick Google search shows that they are indeed separate companies... although Samsung and LG remote codes are definitely different, Hisense and Haier certainly could have sourced the same remote RF parts... I also Googled/Wiki'd TCL and they are the only ones that are mentioned having an LCD plant so I may be correct about them as the main Chinese panel producer... of course RCA TV's are simply the brand name for TCL TV's in the North American market, but now that the TCL brand name is actually used here I am wondering about the fate of the RCA brand name, maybe it's being phased out? Anyway, with these brands finally emerging in North America on a larger scale, it's nice to keep this discussion alive so we can help each other figure out more about them and help out our fellow budget videophiles.
post #141 of 142 Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rabid1 View Post

I realize this is a Hisense thread but I'd like to respond to the above post. I recently acquired a Haier and Service Menu adjustments are imperative to obtain a good picture. The Haier 40D3505 is capable of very good fidelity other than Gamma.

Haier 40D3505 Setup & Calibration

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #142 of 142 Old Today, 12:54 PM

So I ended up having an issue with my 50H5G. It got the dreaded whine when it was powered on. I know a couple ways to fix that but I decided since I was still in my return window I would take advantage of that. I saw that the next model up the 55H6SG was on sale for the same price. The biggest difference is the 55H6SG isn't just smart it is an Android TV. I loved the 50 but seeing the H6 got better reviews and has the Google TV version of Android I decided to take a shot. It should be here tomorrow. Another reason I went with this model is I did some searching and should I need I could actually replace the mainboard, t-con, and power supply for around $145 once I am out of warranty, if needed. I had to rebukd an older Dynex for about the same price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Hisense 65k560dw 65 Inch 3d Internet Led Hdtv , Hisense 55 Inch 3d Internet Led Hdtv 55t710dw
Gear in this thread - 55t710dw by PriceGrabber.com