Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1488 Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talked to Best Buy about the clouding ,they went out of there way put movie in to make sure its not a common characteristic with the model 70632 .BB TV had no clouding with the movie batman The dark knight great movie with black scenes .They picked up TV dropped replacement.New TV is great no clouds great picture LOVE this TV .love Best Buy great customer service.Getting calibrated tomorrow also.Build date is sept 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1488 Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM

I just bought a sharp LC-70LE632U from COSTCO, overall the color is great and I like the size of the 70-inch screen. My only concern is the clarity of the picture. I have adjusted the settings based on posts from AVS Forum members and it has improved, but I still would like a sharper/crisper picture. I use Verizon FIOS and view the TV from 10-15 feet. With the price of the Panasonic 65 inch “ST30 & VT30” dropping down into my price range, I am wondering if I would get a sharper/crisper picture from the Panny. Anyone have experience with both TV’s?
post #363 of 1488 Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg. View Post

I just bought a sharp LC-70LE632U from COSTCO, overall the color is great and I like the size of the 70-inch screen. My only concern is the clarity of the picture. I have adjusted the settings based on posts from AVS Forum members and it has improved, but I still would like a sharper/crisper picture. I use Verizon FIOS and view the TV from 10-15 feet. With the price of the Panasonic 65 inch ST30 & VT30 dropping down into my price range, I am wondering if I would get a sharper/crisper picture from the Panny. Anyone have experience with both TV's?

Iam very surprised you dont have sharp pic with this tv and fios ,i have bright house which is crap compared to fios my pic is great in hd and blu-rays.Hows the pic with blu-rays?My vt25 has a better pic but that one is isf calibrated.We will see once this 70632 is calibrated tomorrow how it compares to a panny..
post #364 of 1488 Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I just bought a sharp LC-70LE632U from COSTCO, overall the color is great and I like the size of the 70-inch screen. My only concern is the clarity of the picture. I have adjusted the settings based on posts from AVS Forum members and it has improved, but I still would like a sharper/crisper picture. I use Verizon FIOS and view the TV from 10-15 feet. With the price of the Panasonic 65 inch "ST30 & VT30" dropping down into my price range, I am wondering if I would get a sharper/crisper picture from the Panny. Anyone have experience with both TV's?

I actually have experience experience with the 632 and ST30 and preferred the Sharp. Look a few posts back for more details.
post #365 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyeavt25 View Post

Talked to Best Buy about the clouding ,they went out of there way put movie in to make sure its not a common characteristic with the model 70632 .BB TV had no clouding with the movie batman The dark knight great movie with black scenes .They picked up TV dropped replacement.New TV is great no clouds great picture LOVE this TV .love Best Buy great customer service.Getting calibrated tomorrow also.Build date is sept 2011

Did you mean that the new tv is a sept build or that the old tv best buy picked up was a sept build? Thanks

Gary
post #366 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewcmr View Post

Did you mean that the new tv is a sept build or that the old tv best buy picked up was a sept build? Thanks

The new one is a sept build but the return was a sept build also.
post #367 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:

I just bought a sharp LC-70LE632U from COSTCO, overall the color is great and I like the size of the 70-inch screen. My only concern is the clarity of the picture. I have adjusted the settings based on posts from AVS Forum members and it has improved, but I still would like a sharper/crisper picture. I use Verizon FIOS and view the TV from 10-15 feet. With the price of the Panasonic 65 inch ST30 & VT30 dropping down into my price range, I am wondering if I would get a sharper/crisper picture from the Panny. Anyone have experience with both TV's?

The only way you will get the best pic on this set is to get a calibration disc like WOW or have it professionally calibrated. Settings given here are starting points and will be different based on your surroundings. My pic looks awesome for both HD and BR. A sharper/crisper picture is subjective..but if you calibrate using WOW disc, that setting is what standard NTSC should be for sharpness. Hope this helps.
post #368 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:

The new one is a sept build but the return was a sept build also.

I also have a sept build and mine has no clouding or issues others are experiencing. So I think it's not the build but a certain batch of sets.
post #369 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I actually have experience experience with the 632 and ST30 and preferred the Sharp. Look a few posts back for more details.

Thanks for clarifying for those trying to decide between LED or PLASMA. I think they can both have great pics once calibrated properly. It all comes down to your environment (bright room vs controlled room lighting) is what I think.
post #370 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

I also have a sept build and mine has no clouding or issues others are experiencing. So I think it's not the build but a certain batch of sets.

I'm starting to think the same. I have a sept build as well and can't seem to find an clouding issues, cross hatch issues or this "dirty window" thing people are mentioning. I'm no expert however, can someone maybe explain each of these issues thoroughly or perhaps some pictures showing them?

Thanks in advance.
post #371 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Your post prompted me to contact Best Buy directly instead of going through Sharp. They said I'll get a call in 7-10 days from their shipping department. How long did it take them to contact you?
post #372 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakonx View Post

Your post prompted me to contact Best Buy directly instead of going through Sharp. They said I'll get a call in 7-10 days from their shipping department. How long did it take them to contact you?

Go right to the store you purchased from,tell them the problem .They had a exchange to me in 3 days on Sunday.I stopped by the store where i purchased it from.Go right to customer service,they have the best customer service out of all the chains.
post #373 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Go right to the store you purchased from,tell them the problem .They had a exchange to me in 3 days on Sunday.I stopped by the store where i purchased it from.Go right to customer service,they have the best customer service out of all the chains.

Ah gotcha, I ordered mine online and had it delivered so I called their customer service department. :\\
post #374 of 1488 Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have Setember build and noticed some clouding the first hour it was on but the clouding went away after that and I'm not seeing any defects, clouding or otherwise now after about 10 hours of use.
post #375 of 1488 Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 AM

Anyone else has a slight dim in all 4 corners, on mine it is very small but it is there.

Anyone had issue with closed captions?
I have comcast and found that if you feed through hdmi you have to turn on CC from the cable box, but I found that the cc come out closer to the middle of the screen rather than the bottom of the screen, it looks rather unelegant but I am trying to figure out an solution. To turn on cc on the cable box you press menu while the cable box is off and then you get a menu where you can change some settings, to get out you press on button and the box turns on.
I also have an small issue where I go to the menu sometimes and it will turn the tv to channel 98 or 99.
post #376 of 1488 Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I've seen the dimming in the corners in every sample of the 70" Sharp sets I've viewed. The 60" sets also have a bit, but it is much more difficult to spot.

Supposedly the dim corners are not present in the 80" Sharp, but I have not seen one to verify.
post #377 of 1488 Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any real advantage to purchasing the 732 over the 632 in the 70 inch model. I know 732 has the quatron panel and extra yellow, but otherwise are the differences really noticable to the eye? Should I just save a couple hundred and get the 632?
post #378 of 1488 Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Got these off another site
Here are my settings:
movie
opc off
backlight +4
contrast +35
brightness -2
color +2
tint +1
sharpness +2
cms hue: red 0 yellow 10 green 0 cyan 6 blue -1 magenta 2
cms saturation: res 1 yellow -2 green +13 cyan -5 blue +6 magenta -9
cms value: res 3 yellow 6 green 3 cyan 4 blue 6 magenta -3
color temp: low
motion enhancement 120hz
active contast - off
gamma adjustment 0
film mode off
post #379 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Man, now I'm wondering if I should exchange mine. I just have the diamond pattern (dirty window) on bright scenes.

What say you guys?

On a side note, I'm playing SWTOR on this and it looks FANTASTIC!
post #380 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Well the screen just went out on our set. We were watching TV and all of a sudden the sound went so I turned the set on and off again then the screen went off and nothing comes up. I can't even switch inputs because no GUI shows up! I've unplugged it for a bit and hopefully this set lasts long enough for Best Buy to send me a new one...
post #381 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

A friend of mine is having some troubles. He has his HD Cablebox (a Motorola) connected to the TV via HDMI (onto port 1). He also has a Polk Audio SurroundBar3000 connected to the TV's audio output and a BR Player connected to HDMI 2.

When he turns on his TV, it automatically turns on the cablebox, BR Player, and the soundbar. The cable box then immediately goes into standby. When turned back on, we find the soundbar is set to maximum audio level.

I had him turn off HDMI-CEC (Aquos Link), and all it did was not change automatically set the input to HDMI 1. Everything else was the same.

Is there something in the TV I should have him look at? Some setting to adjust, etc?

I figured I would post the solution, in case anyone runs into anything like this in the future.

When he bought everything at BestBuy, they sold him one of those new Power Saver power strips...the ones that turn off outlets when the main outlet senses the equipment plugged into it is turned off. The TV was on the main outlet, and when it turned it off, it turned off all the other items...as in full removal of power. This caused them to reset themselves to factory default after not having power for a bit.

When the power strip was replaced by a normal, run of the mill power strip, all the problems went away.
post #382 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I figured I would post the solution, in case anyone runs into anything like this in the future.

When he bought everything at BestBuy, they sold him one of those new Power Saver power strips...the ones that turn off outlets when the main outlet senses the equipment plugged into it is turned off. The TV was on the main outlet, and when it turned it off, it turned off all the other items...as in full removal of power. This caused them to reset themselves to factory default after not having power for a bit.

When the power strip was replaced by a normal, run of the mill power strip, all the problems went away.

Thanks for the follow up... I find it true over and over again that often times the simple things just work better
post #383 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Can you suggest a wall mounting bracket for this TV? What brand and make did you use? I have heard that Monoprice sells brackets at really good prices.
post #384 of 1488 Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM

I used this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details Very nice wall mount and was able to hit 3 studs 16 inches apart. Just make sure you follow the directions because I mounted the wall bracket upside down. The label on the mount was upside down and I didn't realize the side with the tabs was to be at the top. I also picked up better screws. Got it squared away and mounted my TV. Looks really good mounted.

SEMPER FI
post #385 of 1488 Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks DevilDog. I was considering this bracket and it has good reviews.

Is this set ready to use right out of the box or is there a break-in procedure like the Plasma where I had to follow D-Nice's procedure?
post #386 of 1488 Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Regarding mounts, I currently use two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mi-Mount-40-Un...ref=pd_sim_e_1

They used to be $33 with free shipping but I still think its a good deal at $44ish. I use one with my 70632 and one with my Sharp 60 inch LCD (I believe is heavier than my 70").

Both mounts are perfect, 6 lag bolts into 3 studs can hold me while I hang on it, and I weigh 250lbs. Two things to note:

1) drill your pilot holes as long as the lag bolts will go in or you will break off even the strongest fasteners:

2) the bolts that come with the mount are weak (especially if you don't do #1) so go to lowes and spend $6 on quality bolts.
post #387 of 1488 Old 12-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Hey Tom. I calibrated my set 3 times using the WOW disc and came up with the following settings. Of course, depending on room lighting and preference, you may still need to tweak the settings below. I had a fairly dark room in my living room with some white LED ambient lighting behind the tv. I prefer OPC on and set it to -5 and +10 since I want it to darken/lighten automatically (a preference). I am using HDMI, direct to tv, with my Panasonic BR DMP-BD55 player.

Movie Mode
Backlight (most have +6)
Contrast +33
Brightness -1
Color +7
Tint +5
Sharpness +2
Color Temp - middle
Motion - Off
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma -2
Film Mode - Off
Dynamic Noise Reduction - Off

Depending on your preference, you can choose to have backlight set at all times (or use OPC) and also Film mode adjusted to your liking if you like the SOE effect (which I don't) and affects the true settings that the director intended in their movies. This is for BR movies. For regular HD cable settings, I used the Standard (although Sharp support recommends dynamic) and tweaked it. I called in to Sharp support and they logged in and tweaked my HD settings for regular Uverse viewing. It's cool how they can dial in and you can see them making the different settings on your screen live! Anyway, let me know if this helps some of you out. Good luck!

These settings seem the best for me so far in terms of color; I just am not 100% satisfied with the clarity/sharpness of picture. I have a Disney WOW disc on order and hopefully I will be able to tweak my particular TV to my satisfaction. Has anyone had their TV professionally calibrated and like to share the settings?
post #388 of 1488 Old 12-18-2011, 05:24 PM

Ended up calling Best Buy regarding the Diamond Pattern (dirty window) issue.

They are sending a Geek Squad to my house on Thursday to supposedly fix it. If he can't, they'll send a replacement.

I'm guessing I'll get a replacement, but if he can fix it, GREAT!
post #389 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstar1000 View Post

Ended up calling Best Buy regarding the Diamond Pattern (dirty window) issue.

They are sending a Geek Squad to my house on Thursday to supposedly fix it. If he can't, they'll send a replacement.

I'm guessing I'll get a replacement, but if he can fix it, GREAT!

Having faith in a best buy Geek squad member fixing your issue is like asking Hitler to walk on water. The guy probably won't even comprehend the issue. I am on the fence as to whether to attempt a trade in or just live with the pattern. I have a distinct dark line just off center. I could cure it by turning down the back light and contrast, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Don't accept such a fix from Geek squad of the guy actually knows what's happening.
post #390 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wanted to update the people here with the latest on my TV search.

After trying out the 70" 632 and Panasonic ST30, I have finally found a winner in the Sharp 70" 732.

On the 632 I suffered from the diamond pattern, clouds, and a substandard PQ. With the ST30, buzzing and green blobs. The 732 was PERFECT out of the box. No clouds, no dark corners, nothing. Best of all, the diamond pattern or DSE seems to be severely reduced on this model.

Quattron aside (I turned the expanded color gambit off), this set shows a noticeable PQ increase over the 632. Images look sharper, colors have more pop and there is noticeably less graininess and much better shadow detail. After reading several reviews and other things, it was clear that there truly are several other differences between the 732 and their cheapest 632 model besides just a yellow pixel - it appears to just be a better panel all together. FYI I did use Disney WOW to calibrate all three sets.

My advice to anyone looking at these models is to just bite the 300$ price increase bullet and go with the step up model. To me, it was worth every penny.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page