Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Wanted to update the people here with the latest on my TV search.

After trying out the 70" 632 and Panasonic ST30, I have finally found a winner in the Sharp 70" 732.

On the 632 I suffered from the diamond pattern, clouds, and a substandard PQ. With the ST30, buzzing and green blobs. The 732 was PERFECT out of the box. No clouds, no dark corners, nothing. Best of all, the diamond pattern or DSE seems to be severely reduced on this model.

Quattron aside (I turned the expanded color gambit off), this set shows a noticeable PQ increase over the 632. Images look sharper, colors have more pop and there is noticeably less graininess and much better shadow detail. After reading several reviews and other things, it was clear that there truly are several other differences between the 732 and their cheapest 632 model besides just a yellow pixel - it appears to just be a better panel all together. FYI I did use Disney WOW to calibrate all three sets.

My advice to anyone looking at these models is to just bite the 300$ price increase bullet and go with the step up model. To me, it was worth every penny.

I spoke with a Sharp representative, who told me there is NO difference between the 632 and 732 besides the extra pixel.

You might be experiencing less clouding due to the build date and batch, but both models should ideally be free from these defects. You can exchange it if you experience it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockamonkey View Post

I spoke with a Sharp representative, who told me there is NO difference between the 632 and 732 besides the extra pixel.

You might be experiencing less clouding due to the build date and batch, but both models should ideally be free from these defects. You can exchange it if you experience it.

The extra pixel itself means it's a completely different panel, right?
post #393 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Wanted to update the people here with the latest on my TV search.

After trying out the 70" 632 and Panasonic ST30, I have finally found a winner in the Sharp 70" 732.

On the 632 I suffered from the diamond pattern, clouds, and a substandard PQ. With the ST30, buzzing and green blobs. The 732 was PERFECT out of the box. No clouds, no dark corners, nothing. Best of all, the diamond pattern or DSE seems to be severely reduced on this model.

Quattron aside (I turned the expanded color gambit off), this set shows a noticeable PQ increase over the 632. Images look sharper, colors have more pop and there is noticeably less graininess and much better shadow detail. After reading several reviews and other things, it was clear that there truly are several other differences between the 732 and their cheapest 632 model besides just a yellow pixel - it appears to just be a better panel all together. FYI I did use Disney WOW to calibrate all three sets.

My advice to anyone looking at these models is to just bite the 300$ price increase bullet and go with the step up model. To me, it was worth every penny.

I saw the 632 and 732 in operation side by side and I preferred the image that the 632 was producing. The 732 although nice looked to me that it had artificially enhanced yellows and golds. I saw nothing that made me prefer the 732.

I have seen some comments to the effect that an ISF calibration of a 732 will reduce the enhanced yellows and golds to the level of a properly calibrated 632 thereby making both sets equal in image.

I believe the 732 has more pixels to accomodate the added yellow color to RGB but I don't know what effect, if any, the added pixels in this case might have on sharpness, contrast etc.
post #394 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 PM

What it comes down too is. What looks best too you! Who cares what anyone thinks or if there truly is a difference between both sets. Set it up the way it looks best to you, and enjoy!

Did anyone find away to properly adjust the advance chroma settings (value, hue, etc.)? The only way I found it even possible (I couldn't use the Blue filter like someone said you could), was to put up the three picks (girls face, mountain, veggies) and mess around with the values with my eyes (really crappy pair actually).
post #395 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

What it comes down too is. What looks best too you! Who cares what anyone thinks or if there truly is a difference between both sets. Set it up the way it looks best to you, and enjoy!

Agree!
post #396 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
is the 735 a different panel?
post #397 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

Agree!

Yep, totally agree. Just wanted to let others know where I ended up
post #398 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

The 735 has aquomotion which simulates 240hz by strobing the backlight. For me I get ghosting even when using 120hz high ME so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble :P
post #399 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Has anyone gotten some good calibration settings? We should all agree on a good pair of day/night settings.
post #400 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockamonkey View Post

Has anyone gotten some good calibration settings? We should all agree on a good pair of day/night settings.

Problem is these sharp sets are all over the map with regard to calibration. You really need to make the adjustments yourself using some help like Disney Wow
post #401 of 1488 Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

your right it is, BUT im pretty sure alot of 632 owers got this tv for 1999 or below like myself. thats why i bought this tv otherwise i would had bought the 732 because of that added yellow.i seen both both models together the 732 was a little brighter but it wasnt worth that 800.
post #402 of 1488 Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

The 6 and 7 series sets definitely do not use the same panel.

Steve S.
post #403 of 1488 Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroso View Post

your right it is, BUT im pretty sure alot of 632 owers got this tv for 1999 or below like myself. thats why i bought this tv otherwise i would had bought the 732 because of that added yellow.i seen both both models together the 732 was a little brighter but it wasnt worth that 800.

Sure, but the 732 has been on sale at amazon for under 2300$ recently. Hell, I got Best Buy of all places to price match an online retailer for a price of 2220$
post #404 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 AM

So Sharp sent out a service representative to look at the diamond shadow. Not very helpful at all. He tried to give me the run around talking about refresh rate and analog vs digital. I then let him know I've been in the Audio Visual field for the last 13 years and have a contract with sharp for projectors, TV's etc. and I know how to properly troubleshoot.

I showed him the diamond shadow on a plain white calibration screen and he says he sees it. I then bring up a scene from Clash of the Titans and Monday Night Football recorded on my DVR to show him the problem in action. He then tells me to turn to Fox News and states he can't see it while telling me the pattern could be from the hard drive of the DVR. I inform him that the DVR records even live tv to the hard drive and what you see is from that recording so his point is not valid. I also explain it is from multiple sources, xbox, bluray, DVR, and that if he turns to a channel that has a static image of course you are not going to see it. At the same time he refuses to validate any of the examples I've shown him.

Later he concedes it's an uneven backlight and that there is nothing he can do to fix it and will report to Sharp because of his viewing of Fox News that it is all within specification.

Nice, I think I'll have to tell sharp that their "specification" is mediocre at best. I'll report back after I officially hear from Sharp.
post #405 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I did the WOW Uniformity test on my 632 this morning and notice some issues with uniformity and dark corners, especially on the red pattern. The issues don't look especially extreme to me but they are there during the test. I did not see any stuck/dead pixels.

Do any of the calibration or other settings/adjustments affect uniformity, should I be requesting a replacement 632 based on uniformity test results from Best Buy?

Can anyone else here comment on their uniformity test results?

Thank you.
post #406 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM

I also noticed the diamond pattern when I plug in my laptop and run some calibration/test image (bright background, white, green, red). It looks a little bit dirty.

But it does not bother me that much. When you watch movie or play games, it is hardly noticeable at all.

I still not sure what is the "cloud". Anyone can post an image?

BTW how to find the production date? I examined the back of this tv, only serial number.
post #407 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

I am really lusting after this HUGE set and am nearly ready to pull the trigger at Sam's.

Can anyone tell me if this set has built in speakers or not.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
post #408 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredmyer View Post

I am really lusting after this HUGE set and am nearly ready to pull the trigger at Sam's.

Thanks,
Steve

Yep...not bad, IMO.

I love this panel...and came from a 58" Sammy plasma.

Just stunning, watching the finale of Survivor last night (on DVR)...
post #409 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, it does. But putting a Polk 6000 soundbar on it really shows how weak the built in speakers are.
post #410 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythyn View Post

Yes, it does. But putting a Polk 6000 soundbar on it really shows how weak the built in speakers are.

True...and whenever I watch anything that is important to me - sports, movies, key shows, etc, I run the sound through my surround sound setup.

I use the built-ins for the basic, run-of-the-mill viewing...
post #411 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

True...and whenever I watch anything that is important to me - sports, movies, key shows, etc, I run the sound through my surround sound setup.

I use the built-ins for the basic, run-of-the-mill viewing...

Why would you ever want to listen to TV or anything else on the TV speakers when you have a surround system or other speakers hooked up to the TV?

I have 3 different flat panels (2 plasma screens at home and the Sharp 70 at my ski cabin) hooked up with a surround sound system. The remote (Harmony) turns the surround sound system on and off with the panels. I never listen to the regular TV speakers (they sound so bad compared with the surround system) except if my surround system was not working (which almost never happens).
post #412 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve

Built in sound is better then I expected. I had a Def Tech soundbar, sub-woofer and nice Denon AVR available from another setup so I'm using them, obviously nicer sound, built ins will probably be adequate for some folks though.
post #413 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Just got my 70LE632U mounted over a fireplace about 56" high. I'll probably be doing some reworking of the mantle and moulding so I can get it down lower later, but for now it was the best place I could put it.

I used the peerless ST670P mount which was pretty easy to setup. The only confusing part is getting the tilt function to work (its pretty tight if you try and do it by hand -- if you use a screw driver for leverage you can adjust the tilt angle a little easier before the TV is mounted.) With two adult males it was a bit of a challenge to lift the TV that high, but we did get it. Unfortunately we will need a third person to plug the tv into the outlet behind the mount after we lift it. The mantle shelf blocks access from the bottom, so we can't plug it in now that it is mounted. For now I have it plugged into a outlet beside the fireplace.

I was able to reach the tilt tension lever while the tv was mounted from the side (I am 6'1") however my 5'9" friend was not able to... so keep that in mind if you plan on adjusting the tilt after you mount it, you will need two people with pretty long arms, and probably a third if you are plugging in power directly behind the TV.

My TV is a September build and yes I do have slightly darker corners, as well as slight brightness uniformity issues causing a "dirty" look on some brighter panning scenes, however its very minor. Overall this tv looks pretty damn good for a LCD TV (I am a typically a plasma guy). The blacks are nice and dark, and black level details are impressive for LCD (rivaling some plasma). It is definitely one of the best LCD panels that I have spent more than a few minutes in front of.

Two other things I'd like to comment on that I read negative things about in this thread are the sharpness and viewing angle issues.

I've only tested it with DirecTV HD content so far, the the sharpness looks great. Not sure why some people said otherwise. I can't wait to try it with bluray.

Also, for viewing angles... my tv is currently mounted high, and tilted up -5 degrees (see issue about not being able to reach the tilt tensioners) and it still looks great at this non-ideal viewing angle. So the vertical viewing angle is pretty darn good. I do notice you lose quality far off to the sides, but honestly it's way beyond where I'd expect to still be able to see the tv well.
post #414 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 PM

It seems that most people are experiencing the cross-hatch pattern and clouding problems.

So is it a problem for everyone, or just a majority of us? Wondering if I should get a replacement or just deal with it. Don't want to replace it if it'll be the same.

Also when I use the Disney WOW bluray to calibrate, I can't get the contrast test to work. I only see the patterns on the left side, and don't see any at all on the right even if I turn it all the way up or down. Anyone else experience this?
post #415 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 PM

I am new to this TV and do not have the WOW disc. What is the best method to verify if my set has the diamond or that cross-hatch pattern problem that several people have reported here?
post #416 of 1488 Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 PM

Try loading a completely white image on it somehow. Pause a movie during a blank white screen, or just connect your computer to it and load a white image file.

You should see a completely blank screen without any issues. If you see a cross type of pattern, or some areas that are puffy, you are suffering from the same problems as the rest of us.

Seems to be no acknowledgement on Sharp's part. Does anyone have a set that doesn't have these issues?
post #417 of 1488 Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 AM

DirecTv HD DVR with HDMI to our new 70" Sharp. Some channels (weather) show the thin-lined closed caption (?) white blinking information on the very top of the screen.

Is there a way to adjust the overscan a bit (4%)?

Note:

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=10839856

Thanks in advance!

--Tom
post #418 of 1488 Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

After previously running through the "Basic" WOW calibration (settings posted earlier in this thread), I took a run through the "Advanced" this morning. Here are the results:
- Mode: Movie
- OPC: Off
- Backlight: +5 (this is not calibrated, per se, and is up to the user to set at whatever level is desired)
- Contrast: +32
- Brightness: +1
- Color: +7
- Tint: +4
- Sharpness: +2
In the Advanced Menu:
- Color Temp: Middle
- Gamma: -2
- Various enhancements, including Film Mode: All OFF

In the A/V sync section, I adjusted the surround sound to a 125ms delay.

I am now running the second WOW disc of HD "eye candy" (all of the various landscape scenes), and it is just utterly stunning. Crazy good!!

Regarding the various "issues," the only one that I really notice is the diminished off-angle viewing, at >30 degrees off-center, but it's not an issue for me, as I am always in the "sweet spot." I have noticed some very minor clouding, slight cross-hatching, slightly darkened corners, at times, but they are barely even noticeable, even when looking hard, and have no impact on the PQ. I consider them non-issues.

Again, this panel blows me away. I highly, highly recommend it!
post #419 of 1488 Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I don't notice the diamond pattern at all. I didn't see it when I was calibrating. I am not going to go look for it either.

There is some clouding in the corners, but it is very minor.

I think the sharpness issue has to do mostly with source. When you jump from 50" or so to 70", it is a much bigger jump than most people realize. What looked "sharp" in smaller screens is going to look fuzzier just because it has been enlarged. However, when you watch good 1080P source material, the picture could not be sharper.

Love this set.
post #420 of 1488 Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

I don't notice the diamond pattern at all. I didn't see it when I was calibrating. I am not going to go look for it either.

There is some clouding in the corners, but it is very minor.

I think the sharpness issue has to do mostly with source. When you jump from 50" or so to 70", it is a much bigger jump than most people realize. What looked "sharp" in smaller screens is going to look fuzzier just because it has been enlarged. However, when you watch good 1080P source material, the picture could not be sharper.

Love this set.

Agree on all counts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page