Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I got mine home from Costco, unpacked it, and set it up all by myself, with some help from my small girlfriend. It's easy to handle, and much easier than a plasma.

Yeah. I shouldn't have a problem wither way. I might just have them bring it up. Let me check it's working and have them leave lol. Unboxing it's half the fun lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Giants-Packers game on Sunday was the best-looking game I've ever seen on a TV...the PQ was absolutely stunning.

Go back earlier in this thread a number of pages...I've got lots of info posted...settings, my environment, etc. I calibrated for a darkish room, but use those settings all the time, and they rock. I have a very bright, sunny room.

Normally fox isn't the greatest. But the quality of that game was top notch. I hope the rest are just like it!

Giants are my team. They are the whole reason I'm getting this set lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep us posted...can't wait to hear about it! I've got lots of input to provide, if needed/wanted, so don't hesitate to ask away.

I'm sure I'll be here all day asking anything that comes to mind or giving out my input. I'll be taking pictures as well. Do up a decent review of it to help others out in there future purchase.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
What are the preferred build dates for this TV. I just bought one from Costco the other day and have yet to unpack it from the box. The build date on the outside of the box was NOV/2011.

I had two choices at the time, Nov or Oct 2011, so I took the later. I am hoping to avoid some of the issues that others have said they have. What is the consensus on hooking this TV up thru a old Pioneer receiver ?

I have the Frontier comm. FIOS TV service coming into my home thru their HD box that then hooks into my older Hitachi 43" HD TV. I want to impress my wife with the purchase of this TV so knowing what issues prior to hooking it up really helps.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manshoon View Post

What are the preferred build dates for this TV. I just bought one from Costco the other day and have yet to unpack it from the box. The build date on the outside of the box was NOV/2011.

I had two choices at the time, Nov or Oct 2011, so I took the later. I am hoping to avoid some of the issues that others have said they have. What is the consensus on hooking this TV up thru a old Pioneer receiver ?

I have the Frontier comm. FIOS TV service coming into my home thru their HD box that then hooks into my older Hitachi 43" HD TV. I want to impress my wife with the purchase of this TV so knowing what issues prior to hooking it up really helps.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

My box, from the day before Thanksgiving, said NOV/2011. My panel has been fine.

I have a Cox HD DVR cable box, and run it to my 632 via Component (I greatly prefer it over HDMI because: 1. There is no 1080p broadcast content, and I get 720p or 1080i just fine via Component; 2. The channel switching is much faster via Component, since it doesn't have to do the HDMI handshake; 3. Easier to switch back and forth between sound from the 632, or sound via my surround-sound setup) . I run the sound to a Samsung Blu-Ray HTIB via Optical. I run the BR player to the 632 via HDMI, to get the 1080p.

Make sure to do an initial tweak of the settings before impressing your wife!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Giants are my team. They are the whole reason I'm getting this set lol.

And they look great too. I am a Pats fan and don't want to see them face the Giants. They look too darn good right now. I had a gut feeling they would step up.

As far as picture settings...turn off all motion enhancement. With it on the football looks like a blurry torpedo on a long pass.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
JukeBox360 how is watching a white screen? the only problem i have with this tv is the shadowing/ cloudy picture while watching hockey. i only notice it during hockey and not during white commercials or white parts in movies. the only problem is i really only watch hockey and football.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellington66 View Post

JukeBox360 how is watching a white screen? the only problem i have with this tv is the shadowing/ cloudy picture while watching hockey. i only notice it during hockey and not during white commercials or white parts in movies. the only problem is i really only watch hockey and football.

I'm not sure yet. I haven't even had it plugged in yet. As it's literally just getting here as I'm typing. Was hoping it would come super early. But they said they were having trouble with there 1st install and what not. IDK.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

1st impressions. Holy hell this thing is huge. Fit with about half an inch on each side. Looks decent. Just needs some tweaking.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Can someone assist?

Basic cal on the 70le632, but on some DirecTv content, the flesh tone, especially around the cheeks, seem to be "rosier" than normal.

Tried turning down the color to -10 and that did help, but now the panel just doesn't "pop" like it used to...

Tint etc seems fine.

Any ideas?

--Tom
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Can someone assist?

Basic cal on the 70le632, but on some DirecTv content, the flesh tone, especially around the cheeks, seem to be "rosier" than normal.

Tried turning down the color to -10 and that did help, but now the panel just doesn't "pop" like it used to...

Tint etc seems fine.

Any ideas?

--Tom

try bringing color back up and adjusting tint towards green a little.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Oddly enough. I'm finding game mode to be the best mode. I changed the color temp to mid/low. Depends on the mood. Brightness and contrast went up and down a few clicks. Everything looks pretty good.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Oddly enough. I'm finding game mode to be the best mode. I changed the color temp to mid/low. Depends on the mood. Brightness and contrast went up and down a few clicks. Everything looks pretty good.

how does the PQ compare to the pv450? you dont sound too enthused.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM

I'm sorry for the newbie question, and I apologize if this is not the right thread, but I'm having a problem connecting my surround system to the 70le632. When I first power on the TV and surround system, I receive video on the screen for about 30 sec. After that, the screen goes black. The audio still goes through the surround speakers. The TV remains powered on. Here is my setup:

DirecTV HD-DVR-->HDMI-->Receiver (Sony STR-DG910) SAT in HDMI port
Receiver HDMI out--> 70le632 HDMI 1 input port

At first I thought it was miscommunication between Aquos link and the Bravia Sync on the receiver, but I still have this problem with both Aquos link and Bravia Sync turned off. I also tried switching the HDMI input port on the 70le632, but to no avail.

When I don't use the surround system, the TV works perfectly when I connect the HD-DVR directly to the HDMI 1 port on the TV (with sound only going through the TV speakers, of course). I also tried the identical surround setup (with the same HDMI cables) with another TV (Sony), and that works perfectly. Is there a compatibility issue between the Sony receiver and the Sharp TV? Would another receiver brand work (Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.)? Am I missing a connection? Could a TV setting cause the issue?

I called Aquos advantage, but their rep couldn't identify the problem. I thought I'd turn to the real pros. Does anyone know the solution to this? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

how does the PQ compare to the pv450? you dont sound too enthused.

I'm still playing around with it. Trying to get everything just right.

I will say this.

The size is something I don't see myself getting over anytime soon. It's just huge. Playing games like God Of War 3 or Gears Of War 3 is just. The run animation makes it feel as if your actually running. Huge immersive world on God Of War takes a whole new level. Mountains feel like mountains.

Same with flying the chopper in BF3 in 1st person. It's just nuts. Skyrim makes it feel as if your in the woods walking around.

So if anyone plans to get this set for games. This is the beast you want to get.

I did a calibration of game mode with AVS709. I honestly didn't have to change to much. It was just a few small clicks here and there. Lowered color saturation 3/5 clicks to get the skin tones perfect. Black levels are actually pretty good. Better then the 450 even after the pot tweaks.

Before I give a full review I want to learn as much as I can about the set. See all the pros and cons that I can. Give it a fair chance.

The number 1 thing I'll say now that I'm going say again in my review is gaming. Anyone who's planning on gaming with this. GET IT. You will not regret it.

I might even end up moving things around and getting the 80inch version of this set.

I'll be sure to post pictures of my set up and what I find looks best with my review. Hope this helps so far!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post

I'm sorry for the newbie question, and I apologize if this is not the right thread, but I'm having a problem connecting my surround system to the 70le632. When I first power on the TV and surround system, I receive video on the screen for about 30 sec. After that, the screen goes black. The audio still goes through the surround speakers. The TV remains powered on. Here is my setup:

At first I thought it was miscommunication between Aquos link and the Bravia Sync on the receiver, but I still have this problem with both Aquos link and Bravia Sync turned off. I also tried switching the HDMI input port on the 70le632, but to no avail.

When I don't use the surround system, the TV works perfectly when I connect the HD-DVR directly to the HDMI 1 port on the TV (with sound only going through the TV speakers, of course). I also tried the identical surround setup (with the same HDMI cables) with another TV (Sony), and that works perfectly. Is there a compatibility issue between the Sony receiver and the Sharp TV? Would another receiver brand work (Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.)? Am I missing a connection? Could a TV setting cause the issue?

I called Aquos advantage, but their rep couldn't identify the problem. I thought I'd turn to the real pros. Does anyone know the solution to this? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Hmm...could be the output settings in your cable box? Could be the input is somehow changing/getting changed on the TV...?

I had a similar problem when I was outputting via HDMI from the cable box. Try outputting via Component from the cable box to the TV (you don't need HDMI from the cable box as there is no 1080p content, and Component handles 720p and 1080i perfectly), and then running optical audio from the cable box to your receiver.

Just some thoughts...good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Hmm...could be the output settings in your cable box? Could be the input is somehow changing/getting changed on the TV...?

I had a similar problem when I was outputting via HDMI from the cable box. Try outputting via Component from the cable box to the TV (you don't need HDMI from the cable box as there is no 1080p content, and Component handles 720p and 1080i perfectly), and then running optical audio from the cable box to your receiver.

Just some thoughts...good luck!

Check the resolution settings for the DirecTv box - set for 1080i if available. Try a different hdmi port on the tv -hdmi 1 on the 632 works with newer receivers with audio return channel functions. Connect with a different hdmi cable. Component video cables and an optical cable will work, but it would be tidier with just one cable instead of three. I think that there is a setting in your Sony receiver you might be missing. Have you given any thought to updating your receiver? I noticed it's missing support for dts-ma hd and dolby truehd.

Press the view mode and engage dot by dot. If you have a blu-ray disc player, that is a good source for 1080p content to test your hdmi audio and video connections. Check page 22 of the manual.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDG910.pdf
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post

I own an STR-DG910, and have no issues running: Scientific Atlanta HD box via HDMI, PS3, and XBOX360 through the Sony. This sounds like a handshake issue. One think you should check is perhaps if your sound settings are set to amp+tv- this will pass the TV's sound capability to the ouput device causing no surround. The pass through sometimes causes issues as it did with my xbox.

Another idea is the AMP is not set to receive input from SAT input. You will find it in menu 5 named "digital assign."

I can only tell you my Sharp and Sony work perfectly. It was the best investment I made a few years ago.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments on my surround sound problem. I found the source of the problem. It turns out that I left out one piece of my setup in my first post. I thought it was inconsequential, but it turned out to be vital.

The TV is wall mounted in our basement that was just finished. Before our basement was finished, I knew I was going to get some TVs and I went ahead and placed HDMI cables in the TV area before the drywall went up. When the TV was mounted, my HDMI cables were not long enough to connect to either the HD-DVR or the TV. So, I placed an order for some HDMI couplers through monoprice. Specifically, they are the HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater.

To make the cables connect, I needed two of the Extender Repeaters. For some reason, using two of these is causing the problem. Each repeater has one side marked source and one marked sink. I made sure to use each side properly. The specific setup is

HD-DVR-->HDMI-->Sony Receiver SAT in
Sony Receiver HDMI out-->HDMI into source side repeater--> HDMI out of sink side repeater and into another source side repeater-->HDMI out of sink side repeater into HDMI 1 input of the TV.

When I remove these two repeaters, the surround sound works. Even if I use only one repeater, the surround sound works and I receive video. So at least I now know the source of my problems.

I do have some questions remaining. First, when I said in my first post that the surround sound worked with another Sony TV using the same cables, I still used both extender repeaters. I don't know why it would work on the Sony and not the Sharp. Second, I may be using the wrong item as a coupler. I just noticed that monoprice also sells HDMI couplers. Is there a difference between an HDMI coupler and the repeater extender that I used? (another newbie question)

Thanks again for your feedback. Once I get everything looking nice I'll post a pic in the appropriate forum. My complete basement setup includes 4 TVs. I have 3 TVs wall mounted side by side in the TV area. The centerpiece is the Sharp 70". The side TVs are 2 46" Sonys (KDL46BX420). The fourth TV is a 40" Sony bx420 that goes on another wall near the soon to be installed pool table. My wife and I hope to have everything looking nice in time for the Super Bowl.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Has anyone got a replacement tv that the white screen problem has been fixed? I'm getting a replacement and I'm hoping it was just my tvs issue and not a common problem
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone got a replacement tv that the white screen problem has been fixed? I'm getting a replacement and I'm hoping it was just my tvs issue and not a common problem

What "white screen problem" are you talking about?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:

plasma guy, wanted bigger plasma than 58", upgrade to 64/65" didn't seem worth it, Black Friday sales came, etc...

lol same thing happend to me
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 AM

this picture was taken by atstarr. i have the same problem going on. early in this thread it was talked about but not so much anymore, so thats a good thing as it must not be a problem for you guys. but i only notice it on white screens. everything else looks great.
LL
Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this picture was taken by atstarr. i have the same problem going on. early in this thread it was talked about but not so much anymore, so thats a good thing as it must not be a problem for you guys. but i only notice it on white screens. everything else looks great.

Is this problem only seen when using slides?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can see it occasionally if I really look for it; particularly on hockey.

But again, if I am not looking for it, I don't really notice it. It's not an issue for me.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can see it occasionally if I really look for it; particularly on hockey.

But again, if I am not looking for it, I don't really notice it. It's not an issue for me.

Yeah. That's why I was asking him. As he's showing this "problem" when looking at slides.

If it doesn't come up during actual real content. It isn't a problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

no, it is all the time during hockey and during white background commercials. but getting a picture of the problem while hockey is on is very hard. it is barely noticeable when the camera doesn't move(sustained pressure by one team where the puck doesnt leave the zone) but when the camera is going back and forth(like end to end rushes) it is distractingly bad. and turning the backlight up helps it but then it gets too bright to watch. sharp gave me 2 options to exchange it. one is i exchange it BB myself or the second is they ship one to me and take back the other one. i think im gonna have them ship me one. i dont want to break it driving back to the store
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:

no, it is all the time during hockey and during white background commercials. but getting a picture of the problem while hockey is on is very hard. it is barely noticeable when the camera doesn't move(sustained pressure by one team where the puck doesnt leave the zone) but when the camera is going back and forth(like end to end rushes) it is distractingly bad. and turning the backlight up helps it but then it gets too bright to watch. sharp gave me 2 options to exchange it. one is i exchange it BB myself or the second is they ship one to me and take back the other one. i think im gonna have them ship me one. i dont want to break it driving back to the store

Wow, sharp sent someone out to my house and basically told me I'd have to live with it. A couple of other people have returned theirs and still have the issue. My guess is it's on 75-80% of the panels. Overall not that big a deal to me but in my opinion it isn't something that should pass sharp's quality inspection. I have more detailed posts a couple of pages back.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see. Chances are your next display with have the same exact issue. Hockey for an LCD never works as well as a plasma would. Even of you swap your set out 5 times I'm sure you'll still have this issue on all of them.

I agree. It shouldn't be that way. But sadly it is. I'm yet to watch the NFL on my set. That's going to be the make it or break it for me on this display. It's also when I plan to do a full review. That way people get an idea of how this set acts with everything. Sports. Games. Movies. Etc.

Please be great for NFL!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Chances are all your sets with have this issue. LCD isn't the best for sports. Hockey is even worse for it. Best bet is plasma.