Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Got mine on Wed and loving it so far. Everyone over at my house on Thanksgiving just raved about it. It is hard not to be impressed with the size.

I really need some calibration as blu-ray stuff looks just unbelievable (good as my old plasma), but regular HD programming looks a bit washed out to me.

If you guys have some specific questions let me know. There is no better bang for the buck, when it comes to size.

BTW, what is the best way to test game mode lag?

Ditto re the size...everyone did the same at my place too, and it brings you right into the games! Agree re bang for the buck...that's why I switched from plasma...I wanted 70"; not 64/65". Can't wait to watch my first Blu-Ray on this!

Not sure re the game mode lag...I'd say play it, and see what you see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Ditto re the size...everyone did the same at my place too, and it brings you right into the games! Agree re bang for the buck...that's why I switched from plasma...I wanted 70"; not 64/65". Can't wait to watch my first Blu-Ray on this!

Not sure re the game mode lag...I'd say play it, and see what you see...

Same here on the regular programming (regarding it looking washed out) though I have noticed it all depends on both the channel resolution (720p vs 1080i) and the quality of the footage. I think the main deal is the TV is just SOOOO large that it is all the more revealing. Evidence for this is the fantastic blu ray quality.

I have tested out a few games on the PS3 and saw no lag at all, but this was in game mode. Haven't tried playing a game in another mode.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got one at Frys at 11:00AM on BF with the price is $1499.00 otd is $1719.26 (tax, delivery, recycling).

Sharp LC70LE632U (11/25/11 BF $1719.26)
LG55LW5600 (09/30/11 $1255.00)
Sharp LC60LE832U (09/16/2011 $950.00)
Ãlevia 247TFHD (BF2007 $1350.00)
Ãlevia LT37HVS (09/21/05 $1350.00)
Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcc View Post

I just got one at Frys at 11:00AM on BF with the price is $1499.00 otd is $1719.26 (tax, delivery, recycling).

Congrats! That's an awesome price, beats my 2000$ otd from Costco, though the extra two year warranty is nice
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM

2,000 otd from Costco? Wow, must have a super low tax rate!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any of the new 70LE632 owners mind commenting on any clouding issues and what build moth your set is from? I have a few clouds and saw that I have a September build TV so pretty early - wondering if brewers machines have these process issues ironed out more? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM

What's the standard warranty?
Costco ups it to 2 yrs P and L?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Same here on the regular programming (regarding it looking washed out) though I have noticed it all depends on both the channel resolution (720p vs 1080i) and the quality of the footage. I think the main deal is the TV is just SOOOO large that it is all the more revealing. Evidence for this is the fantastic blu ray quality.

I have tested out a few games on the PS3 and saw no lag at all, but this was in game mode. Haven't tried playing a game in another mode.

Do you play call of duty??? That is what I am concerned about.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Do you play call of duty??? That is what I am concerned about.

Yes, it looks wonderful
Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Costco's $1900 price+tax is good until 11/28. If anyone wants to get it, go there this weekend.

Sharp LC70LE632U (11/20/11)
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Good luck! This is a great set, and 70" will be perfect for your setup, I'm only sitting 11 feet back which is technically on the edge of the THX viewing recommendation

I work with these televisions on weekends, and am about 8 feet away in the aisle from the display panel when playing demo stuff..see attached suggested seating chart fromt the Sharp site..
LL
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, it looks wonderful

awesome, I heard the game mode on the sharp's were supposed to have the least amount of lag for all LCD's.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 AM

The worst thing about these sets is the DSE, but the best is the bang for the buck! Virtually no lag for me in gaming and pc mode.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

awesome, I heard the game mode on the sharp's were supposed to have the least amount of lag for all LCD's.

Actually that would be the Panasonic LCD's.

Jason
Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Hey does anyone has any good calibration settings for this TV? I know a bunch of us are looking for them that purchased it on BF.

The difference between the 632 and 732 are minimal, just a little better colors due to the 4th pixel. Apparently with this calibrated, it will reach almost the same results as the 732. Since it is full array and not edge-lit LED, it beats all edge-lit models (besides LG LW5600 and Samsung D6400) in performance. So great value with amazing picture quality in this range.

Here are some settings that were recommended by a user reviewer:

Standard Picture setting:
OPC - off
Backlight +8
Contrast +25
Brightness -8
Color +2
Tint 0
Sharpness +5
CMS Hue - no adjust
CMS Sat - no adjust
Color Temp - High
Mortion Enhancement - OFF
Quad Pixel - on
Active Contrast - On
Gamma +2
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

So I watched my first Blu-Ray last night (Super 8), and all I have to say is WOW!! The PQ with BR is amazing...just as good as my 58" Sammy plasma, and 70"!!! Again, make sure you have made the basic tweaks that are referenced earlier in this thread. There was ZERO SOE, ZERO motion-blur, blacks and colors looked AWESOME, and the picture had that "movie-like" look that you strive for, and that plasmas are known for.

I made some minor picture adjustments, in addition to the basic tweaks:
- Movie Mode (I am finding that Movie mode is the best for everything, with some tweaking depending on source, day or night)
- Reduced Backlight to 0
- Left Contrast at +30
- Reduced Brightness to -5
- Color to +10
- Tint to +5
- Sharpness to +3

I left everything else as previously-discussed. Again, this was for nighttime viewing, with a bit of ambient light from various accent or kitchen lights.

Again, it just looked FANTASTIC, and was noticeably better than the various broadcast HD sources (Cox HD cable), which vary wildly. I still feel I need to continue to fine-tune the color, and really dial-in the black-level, but it ROCKED!

I will note that, for the first time, I noticed some faint "clouding" when the screen went to all-black, either before the movie, or during it, but it seemed to quickly go away, or was non-impactful to the picture. In other words, who cares? It doesn't impact anything relative to what you're watching. It's a nit that has no bearing on me.

More to follow as I tweak it further. I expect to use slightly different settings for daytime viewing of sports, shows, etc, based on a lot of bright sunlight in the large room.

Last point: Going to 70" is the real-deal. Anyone that is on the fence as to 64/65" plasma vs. bigger in LCD needs to see what the difference is when watching a BR movie...GO BIG!! Most immersive experience for me thus far, in terms of home-viewing! I'm glad I didn't "settle" for "just" 64/65"!!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any of the new 70LE632 owners mind commenting on any clouding issues and what build moth your set is from? I have a few clouds and saw that I have a September build TV so pretty early - wondering if brewers machines have these process issues ironed out more? Thanks.

I too am curious about clouding, I thought full array backlighting was supposed to eliminate most if not all clouding issues that edge lit sets have. I wonder if it's more the panel itself. I'm very interested in this set since it's price dropped recently because of the clouding issues I have seen in the Sharp 60le832u sets I have tried (three of them).
Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I too am curious about clouding, I thought full array backlighting was supposed to eliminate most if not all clouding issues that edge lit sets have. I wonder if it's more the panel itself. I'm very interested in this set since it's price dropped recently because of the clouding issues I have seen in the Sharp 60le832u sets I have tried (three of them).

I noticed it when the screen went to all-black, but it is faint, and in a couple spots, but doesn't impact the image or PQ at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed it when the screen went to all-black, but it is faint, and in a couple spots, but doesn't impact the image or PQ at all.

What backlight level do you use
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Finally setup the TV. No dead pixels that I can see. Cloudy in upper left, lower right and center. I can tolerate it, but it is certainly worse than my old Samsung (large clouds). Build date 9-2011. The clouds could fade in a couple weeks possibly, or like with my old Samsung 52, I will clean the screen with a microfiber cloth, rub with moderate pressure and massage the screen. This did cure my old set's problem believe it or not. No backlight leakage on the edges which is good.

My first impression is the 120hz smoothing creates a smooth soap opera effect as mentioned with many sets and the eyes that watch them. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. I personally like 120hz off, but my wife likes the smoothing effect so I am keeping it on low (it is tolerable on low).

One thing is this panel seems to be more sensitive to viewing angle. To me there is more of a drop off in brightness and color at angle than some other panels. Not that it is a big issue, because even at 60 degrees off center it is plenty watchable, just washed.

The pre loaded picture modes work well enough. I wish it had one more user setting, but there are enough modes that can already be adjusted that it works for me. I am not so anal about perfect color calibration that I am fine with things for now. Hopefully somebody will do a calibrate and post their setup.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi all - I purchased the LC60LE832U at Costco yesterday; after a little calibration I am very pleased with the picture. Definitely an upgrade over my 5 year old Samsung 52" LCD. So here is my issue - for another 3 hundred bucks I can pick up the 70" Sharp from Costco - it sounds like the sale runs through this Sunday. My room is big enough for the 70", the price increase is not a real big factor. I am very curious if the full array in the 70" will be an improvement over the edge lit LC60LE832U? And it would seem as though I am "downgrading" in model to increase in size? Face value suggests that, but from all I read a lot of the features in the 832 seem to be turned off during calibration for the best picture. The 70" model I am considering does not have the Quatron, and I don't want to fork out the extra 7 hundy so I'd be giving up the Quatron feature in my 60" to jump to the 70". Also going from 240hz down to 120hz.

Any input or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all
Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am not old Walt, but I have the same thing. (edit) More noticable when the backlight is higher and contrast and brightness settings are high. With some tinkering it can be eliminated but not in the intense dynamic modes (end edit). This is why I said I can live with it because it really does not impact anything to me. If there is any ambient light in the room the clouds cannot be seen, it is only noticale at night. Plus many people have said they can go away with time without massaging the screen.

Acaps: LNT5271 by any chance? Loved that TV, a true tank. Fantastic PQ and bright, horrible judder though. I needed an upgrade too. I couldn't pass this deal up. Felt like a junky being offered free crack when I saw Fry's sale.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad to hear the "clouding" is not noticeable during playback. I can live with some clouding effect when the screen is not receiving any picture at all but when I notice it during playback it's hard for me to accept.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Glad to hear the "clouding" is not noticeable during playback. I can live with some clouding effect when the screen is not receiving any picture at all but when I notice it during playback it's hard for me to accept.

Bingo! After I noticed it on an all-black screen, I watched for it during playback, and...nothing I could discern. So it's a non-issue for me.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaps View Post

Hi all - I purchased the LC60LE832U at Costco yesterday; after a little calibration I am very pleased with the picture. Definitely an upgrade over my 5 year old Samsung 52" LCD. So here is my issue - for another 3 hundred bucks I can pick up the 70" Sharp from Costco - it sounds like the sale runs through this Sunday. My room is big enough for the 70", the price increase is not a real big factor. I am very curious if the full array in the 70" will be an improvement over the edge lit LC60LE832U? And it would seem as though I am "downgrading" in model to increase in size? Face value suggests that, but from all I read a lot of the features in the 832 seem to be turned off during calibration for the best picture. The 70" model I am considering does not have the Quatron, and I don't want to fork out the extra 7 hundy so I'd be giving up the Quatron feature in my 60" to jump to the 70". Also going from 240hz down to 120hz.

Any input or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all

I'd get the 70"...after watching my first Blu-Ray last night, I was AMAZED at how immersive it was (vs. my previous 58" Sammy plasma), and the PQ matched that of my plasma. And re the Quattron, from what I've read, it really doesn't add much, and some posters have said the non-Quattron PQ is actually better...

Get the 70"!!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post

One thing is this panel seems to be more sensitive to viewing angle. To me there is more of a drop off in brightness and color at angle than some other panels. Not that it is a big issue, because even at 60 degrees off center it is plenty watchable, just washed.

I have noticed this also, and consider this the one real "negative" I've seen with this panel vs. my previous plasma. I notice that it starts to wash out at about 30 degrees off-center, and degrades from there.

That said, it's not a real big deal to me, since I always claim the prime viewing spot for anything I'm watching...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I reduced it to 0 (zero)...
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Is anyone hanging this beast on their wall? My girlfriend is worried that our unborn boy will eventually try and hang off the damn thing and pull it on top of himself when he's older. I remind her that if we're watching him, this wont happen or we can hang it on the wall. I was looking at this one from Amazon (VideoSecu). I've purchased "off brand" wall mounts before and never had a problem but this sets a bit bigger, a bit heavier and well a bit more expensive
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I would check Monoprice, they have quality mounts.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I reduced it to 0 (zero)...

Yea I'm actually at -8, got a pretty dark basement. I am still debating if I want to exchange mine or not, but it seems like clouding is just something you have to deal with with these type of displays eh?