post #721 of 1488 Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjoe View Post

Tonight I tried to play a DVD on my TV and I can't get it to work - odd...

I have the dvd player connected directly to the hdmi port and it does not work. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? I've tried multiple DVD's and nothing works.

thx
Joe

You can check the input setting on the beast, and the HDMI setting on the DVD player. Other than that I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1488 Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM

I connected another hdmi cable from dvd to tv and it works fine...the other hdmi works fine for cable box to tv (strange) but not for dvd player. Ay any rate...I ordered 3 new hdmi cables tonight so I should be all set.
post #723 of 1488 Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos View Post

Can anyone comment on any issues on 632 series with side angle viewing.

I was in Costco today trying to decide between the 70 inch 632 and 733 they had on display side by side there. It did appear as if the 733 was slightly sharper but box store lighting, and imperfect signal, plus no way to compare settings, make me think they were close enough that I will go with the general consensus that it doesn't seem the yellow pixel or 240 hz make enough of a difference to justify the extra price premium.

However both models seemed to suffer from a fairly noticeable drop in picture brightness in particular and overall quality to a lesser extent as I moved from dead center to about a 30 degree angle. I know LCD in general drops a bit at sharper angles but these seemed to display more of an issue than I had expected.

Any thoughts on whether it was just a fluke of store lighting, or is this something or a problem as compared to others.

For comparison, I have a Vizio 55 inch 552 model on the wall now which doesn't seem to have that noticeable a drop in quality at 30 degrees.

The off-angle viewing issue is well-documented previously in this thread, and is a weakness of all LCD's. It is definitely an issue, particularly when compared to plasma, as the picture degrades at around 30 degrees off-center.

It doesn't bother me, as I'm always in the sweet spot anyway...
post #724 of 1488 Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

The off-angle viewing issue is well-documented previously in this thread, and is a weakness of all LCD's. It is definitely an issue, particularly when compared to plasma, as the picture degrades at around 30 degrees off-center.

It doesn't bother me, as I'm always in the sweet spot anyway...

Being as my main reason for buying this was sports with people over. Off angle problems makes me think twice.
post #725 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest787 View Post

just picked mine up and set it up today.

so far love the picture. I am in the minority but i don't mind the SOE effect at all. tv looks great.

Do have a question regarding the motion jutter I get when the camera moves too fast. I've only owned plasmas in the past and never had this. Is this something I will just have to get used to or is there a setting to help with it?

I actually like the SOE also. My favorite movies have a sense of realism like your standing to the director as it was being filmed.
post #726 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Being as my main reason for buying this was sports with people over. Off angle problems makes me think twice.

I hear you. I, too, have various numbers of people over for various things, and no one has ever mentioned it as an issue. We can spread out such that most/all are within the +/- 30 degrees off center. I will even tell people that the picture will start to fade out as you get wide, but nobody seems to care (think "AVS Forum member (me) vs. non-AVS Forum member (everyone else)).

But again, YMMV...if the issue is a deal breaker for whomever, then get a plasma...
post #727 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Another plasma convert here. Couldn't justify the additional $1000 or so for a 65" VT30 - plus the extra 5" was a nice perk.

I was running the iCarly-guy's settings on User/Custom but found the delay in video games a problem so switches to Game. Any disadvantage to watching in Game mode all the time if I already had Motion Enhancement and other "features" off?

Also - very little clouding here. Sept 2011 unit.
post #728 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Sure would be nice if someone would share their pro-calibration settings with us - hint, hint...

All of the setting so far have been too red for me. There is truth every set being slightly different, but it's a nice stating place. Also, I like a little bit of 120HZ on some movies as well, but sadly will not work on game mode.
post #729 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

URC MX-850 remote this TV is not in the data base. Does anyone know what other Sharp would work?
post #730 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear you. I, too, have various numbers of people over for various things, and no one has ever mentioned it as an issue. We can spread out such that most/all are within the +/- 30 degrees off center. I will even tell people that the picture will start to fade out as you get wide, but nobody seems to care (think "AVS Forum member (me) vs. non-AVS Forum member (everyone else)).

But again, YMMV...if the issue is a deal breaker for whomever, then get a plasma...

Yeah. Out of everyone that comes over I'm the only one that seems to care about the off angle issues. I spoiled myself with the plasma.

Either way I'll most likely end up keeping it. This is the 1st set the lady has liked me getting in a long time. She's super picky and loves it. Think it has ti do with its size and day light viewing.
post #731 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM

I just picked mine up from Sears, I checked all over the back of the set, where does it specify the build date?

Only had it on for about 1 hour, but so far I like it..
post #732 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Yeah. Out of everyone that comes over I'm the only one that seems to care about the off angle issues. I spoiled myself with the plasma.

Either way I'll most likely end up keeping it. This is the 1st set the lady has liked me getting in a long time. She's super picky and loves it. Think it has ti do with its size and day light viewing.

Viewing angle is the only downside I have with my 60 inch 632 over the last 2 plasmas that I have tried. For my seating area it's not really an issue though. I didn't realize what I was missing with daytime viewing and plasma.......no more waiting for it to get dark to get immersed in a movie now, not even dark movies! Super happy that I ditched plasma for the Sharp.
post #733 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdevs View Post

I just picked mine up from Sears, I checked all over the back of the set, where does it specify the build date?

Only had it on for about 1 hour, but so far I like it..

on the box i believe...
post #734 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Has anyone cleaned their screen yet? I have a palm print on mine from the mounting process that won't come off with a lint free rag. I've read the spray made for LCD screens is not good and am hesitant about spraying my new TV! Any thoughts.
post #735 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

on the box i believe...

Yep, I got a Oct 2011 build.
post #736 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehhippy View Post

Another plasma convert here. Couldn't justify the additional $1000 or so for a 65" VT30 - plus the extra 5" was a nice perk.

I was running the iCarly-guy's settings on User/Custom but found the delay in video games a problem so switches to Game. Any disadvantage to watching in Game mode all the time if I already had Motion Enhancement and other "features" off?

Also - very little clouding here. Sept 2011 unit.

The best over-all mode to use on the 632's is GAME mode, plain & simple. I have run all the tests and posted the average variance from Movie (140ms) to Game (30ms) in the 60LE632 thread. There is also less chance for judder and sync issues in Game mode. You'll also see less motion issues on the 632 if you set your blu ray player to 60Hz vs 24hz. As an example try chapter 8 of Star Wars ROTS, as the ship is lowering into the pit watch for all the stepping in 24Hz vs 60 Hz. I know this goes against the grain of using 24Hz with a 120Hz display but the tests do not lie.

I think many are simply assuming they should not use Game mode if they do not game, this would be a misplaced assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Sure would be nice if someone would share their pro-calibration settings with us - hint, hint...

All of the setting so far have been too red for me. There is truth every set being slightly different, but it's a nice stating place. Also, I like a little bit of 120HZ on some movies as well, but sadly will not work on game mode.

Odds are if you feel all of the settings you are seeing posted are too red then you prefer a cooler blue pushed image, you may want to simply pick a calibration and stick with it for a couple days and see if you can adjust to something more accurate (most that give it a shot actually end up wondering how they watched that blue pushed image to begin with).

Also please keep in mind that copying settings from one mode to another does not keep that mode calibrated, there are Color Temp variances from mode to mode that are not user adjustable (meaning default Low color temp on Game is not the same as Low color temp on Movie and so on, verified with a sensor).

For those that are interested we have covered most of this in the 60LE632 thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1376737

Best of luck,
Jason
post #737 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Viewing angle is the only downside I have with my 60 inch 632 over the last 2 plasmas that I have tried. For my seating area it's not really an issue though. I didn't realize what I was missing with daytime viewing and plasma.......no more waiting for it to get dark to get immersed in a movie now, not even dark movies! Super happy that I ditched plasma for the Sharp.

You'd be surprised how much easier it is to watch in daylight with an LCD vs plasma. I don't care what kind of filter they place on the sets. They just don't work as well.

If I move my set up I can get rid of off angle viewing for everyone. And I'd have more room to watch the set. Decisions, decisions. Either way it's going to be great for the game tomorrow!
post #738 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Game pimp -

Would you recommend using game mode with a PC source over HDMI? I stream quote a bit of video.

Also, which settings do you recommend? The ones I saw were for game mode only and I like 120hz for some films.

Thanks.
post #739 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Buy the 632 unless ur a big time picky video guru. I was in the fence but for this price u won't b disappointed. Only bad thing is that standard material don't look that good but most things are in hd these days.

Anyone have a problem with there ps3 reading the Disney wow disk? It comes up In the dashboard but when I go to play nothing
post #740 of 1488 Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Game pimp -

Would you recommend using game mode with a PC source over HDMI? I stream quote a bit of video.

Also, which settings do you recommend? The ones I saw were for game mode only and I like 120hz for some films.

Thanks.

Absolutely,

Run your pc via HDMI and then go through each mode and drag the mouse pointer across the screen and in circles, you'll be a little shocked at what you see.

Jason
post #741 of 1488 Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 AM

I just got the tv yesterday and am ver y happy with the pq so far especially blueray . I am using game mode for the most part and don't see the SoE in that mode (it horrible in auto and standard mode). However with the netflix mode I don't have this mode available , so what can I do there to get rid of SoE ? I think I will use game mode for both blueray and stb , any suggetions there ?

Can someone please post a link for the settings I can use in the game mode, I spent a lot of time , it looks good but I know it can do better. Would appreciate your help..I am trying to set it up before the game for a superbowl party

Thanks
post #742 of 1488 Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The best over-all mode to use on the 632's is GAME mode, plain & simple. I have run all the tests and posted the average variance from Movie (140ms) to Game (30ms) in the 60LE632 thread. There is also less chance for judder and sync issues in Game mode. You'll also see less motion issues on the 632 if you set your blu ray player to 60Hz vs 24hz. As an example try chapter 8 of Star Wars ROTS, as the ship is lowering into the pit watch for all the stepping in 24Hz vs 60 Hz. I know this goes against the grain of using 24Hz with a 120Hz display but the tests do not lie.

I think many are simply assuming they should not use Game mode if they do not game, this would be a misplaced assumption.

Hmm...that latter comment would be me...I have never even sniffed Game mode...started with Movie, and have calibrated that, and stay there for everything. I love the PQ, and have no issues with judder, sync, etc. I have my Blu-Ray player set to 24hz, also.

All that said, I wonder if I would notice any appreciable difference by using Game mode? I mean, I'm very happy now, and can't see how much "better" it can get...for me, at least.

Good stuff!
post #743 of 1488 Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM

Liked: 13
I also noticed a slight amount of "clouding", but not enough that it bothers me. If I thought that a later build date or different unit would get rid of it, I MIGHT take the effort to swap. Does Sharp acknowledge the problem? Does a later build date make a difference??
I also love the SOE because it seems to add realism to movies IMHO. I seem to be in the minority about this!
post #744 of 1488 Old 02-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

I also noticed a slight amount of "clouding", but not enough that it bothers me. If I thought that a later build date or different unit would get rid of it, I MIGHT take the effort to swap. Does Sharp acknowledge the problem? Does a later build date make a difference??
I also love the SOE because it seems to add realism to movies IMHO. I seem to be in the minority about this!

If it's slight, I wouldn't worry about it. I had slight, and it's not an issue for me...seems to have dissipated somewhat, also.
post #745 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I did a search on "discrete" in this thread and got nothing, does this model have discrete on/off and discrete input IR codes?

This post seems to confirm the 732 has the codes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20578048

Matt
post #746 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Still trying to troubleshoot my Disney wow problem. Wondering if it's my disk or not.

It seems like the ps3 is reading it and the input does not see it
post #747 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hmm...that latter comment would be me...I have never even sniffed Game mode...started with Movie, and have calibrated that, and stay there for everything. I love the PQ, and have no issues with judder, sync, etc. I have my Blu-Ray player set to 24hz, also.

All that said, I wonder if I would notice any appreciable difference by using Game mode? I mean, I'm very happy now, and can't see how much "better" it can get...for me, at least.

Good stuff!

I have a 732 and no matter how hard I try with my calibration tools (CalMAN + D3) I cannot get game mode to display accurate colors - either have issues with blue or yellow/green. Anyone have any suggestions on a good settings point to start from? FWIW I am able to get a fantastic cal in movie mode (as far as color and greyscale are concerned) but would like to have the better lag response from game mode. Thanks.
post #748 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I did a search on "discrete" in this thread and got nothing, does this model have discrete on/off and discrete input IR codes?

This post seems to confirm the 732 has the codes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20578048

Yes, my harmony has discrete on and off buttons for the TV. No fear.
post #749 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Odds are if you feel all of the settings you are seeing posted are too red then you prefer a cooler blue pushed image, you may want to simply pick a calibration and stick with it for a couple days and see if you can adjust to something more accurate (most that give it a shot actually end up wondering how they watched that blue pushed image to begin with).

Also please keep in mind that copying settings from one mode to another does not keep that mode calibrated, there are Color Temp variances from mode to mode that are not user adjustable (meaning default Low color temp on Game is not the same as Low color temp on Movie and so on, verified with a sensor).

For those that are interested we have covered most of this in the 60LE632 thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1376737

Best of luck,
Jason

Jason, just wanted to say THANKS for all your work in that 632 thread on the calibration settings!! I just powered up my new 70LE632 yesterday and put your settings in and it looks amazing!

I have never had a TV with so many user-adjustable settings so I was glad to have guidance on this thing. It looks so sick!

I do have one question, in those advanced settings there was something called "Digital Noise Reduction" and the choices were: Auto, Low, Med, High and OFF. THe default for GAME mode was Medium and Auto is not allowed in Game mode. What would be your recommendation?

Also, just to make sure - you recommend leaving it in GAME mode all the time, regardless of whether I'm watching Blu-Ray or using the HD digital convertor box for cable, right?

Thanks again,
SP
post #750 of 1488 Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I have a 732 and no matter how hard I try with my calibration tools (CalMAN + D3) I cannot get game mode to display accurate colors - either have issues with blue or yellow/green. Anyone have any suggestions on a good settings point to start from? FWIW I am able to get a fantastic cal in movie mode (as far as color and greyscale are concerned) but would like to have the better lag response from game mode. Thanks.

Yes game mode is tricky to get nailed down on the 632. Honestly these sets have an issue with all of the primaries in my opinion (RED being the biggest issue) so do not expect a perfect 6500k or D65 cal, it's a balancing act (it does not appear a perfect REC709 green can be obtained). You'll also discover that Y will shift as you adjust xy so this is not a 100% proper CMS implementation. My game mode 6500k cal on my 60LE632 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Paul View Post

Jason, just wanted to say THANKS for all your work in that 632 thread on the calibration settings!! I just powered up my new 70LE632 yesterday and put your settings in and it looks amazing!

I have never had a TV with so many user-adjustable settings so I was glad to have guidance on this thing. It looks so sick!

I do have one question, in those advanced settings there was something called "Digital Noise Reduction" and the choices were: Auto, Low, Med, High and OFF. THe default for GAME mode was Medium and Auto is not allowed in Game mode. What would be your recommendation?

Also, just to make sure - you recommend leaving it in GAME mode all the time, regardless of whether I'm watching Blu-Ray or using the HD digital convertor box for cable, right?

Thanks again,
SP

You're welcome!

Yes leave DNR off and I do use Game mode for all sources except cable tv (Blu Ray/PC/PS3/Xbox360), do not expect perfect settings for your cable box, sadly television from cable to sat to OTA and from one channel to the next has source variables. I use Standard mode with cable tv as it seems to have the least amount of sync issues over most channels. I have just adjusted Standard mode by eye since you will never see a perfect NTSC signal across all channels (my cable tv source requires different contrast/brightness settings thus the different mode). As I said in the other thread... remember what NTSC stands for = Never The Same Color.

Jason
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page