Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1488 Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well its official, best buy exchaning my 70" 632 for a 65 inch panny vt30,,,,just couldn't look past the DSE and the diamond array showing. Sharps lack of responding when they said they would was final straw. Going to miss the 70" but sure Im going to like the Plasma much better. For 900 more I better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 AM

So, essentially, what is the consensus for the better (best?) PQ - Movie or Game?

--Tom
post #903 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

So, essentially, what is the consensus for the better (best?) PQ - Movie or Game?

--Tom

A properly calibrated Movie mode should be more accurate than a properly calibrated Game mode. However the difference would not be obvious to the majority of consumers.

When Game mode can be made to be just as good regarding 6500k and nearly as good regarding D65 it would take a keen set of eyes (with calibration experience) to spot the differences and know which mode was which without being told (regarding the 632 series).

As I have stated previously the Sharp displays (including the Elite's) do not utilize a properly implemented CMS, so they can get very close but not perfect (even by an experienced ISF certified tech).

For those that want maximum accuracy from their display in order to realize its full potential you'll either have to purchase your own calibration gear or hire an ISF tech that is familiar with the current Sharp line.

At this point we are truly picking nits and people should simply use what gives them the most enjoyment from their display.

Jason
post #904 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

(snip snip)

At this point we are truly picking nits and people should simply use what gives them the most enjoyment from their display.

Jason

'

Excellent!

--Tom
post #905 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jason

Guys (yes, I'm assuming we're all guys...), read and re-read that comment from Jason. Everybody take a breath...

You can't worry TOO much about what is "perfect" and how much "better" you can get your PQ if you are happy with what you have. I mean, if you are enjoying your display, don't "over think" it, and talk yourself into being less-than-satisfied.

Here is my quick story:
- Got my 632 the night before Thanksgiving; watched all the football games the next day and was blown away by the PQ...uncalibrated.
- Next, I pulled some posted settings from this thread, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I ordered the WOW disc myself, did the Basic calibration, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I did the WOW Advanced calibration, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I picked up on Jason's feedback about 6500K/D65 as a baseline of accuracy (I was not aware of this...had no point of reference), and tried his Game settings to get there. This was very "different" to me (and my GF), and we didn't have the patience to stick with it and get used to it (so far), so I went back.
- Jason was then kind enough to post some tweaked settings based on my WOW calibration that improved things somewhat, in terms of accuracy (though not real close to 6500K/D65), and I am using them now.

I will continue to compare settings and PQ, between what I'm using now (see above) and the more "accurate" Game settings, and continue to (possibly) do some tweaking to one or both, but I don't want to "over think" it, as the PQ (to me and my now-fiance) is stunning. Broadcast HD cable and BR movies are incredible...simply incredible.

I cannot wait to watch NASCAR on this thing...the broadcast PQ on Fox is typically top-notch, and the colors of the cars, etc. make for fantastic large-screen HD viewing.

Moral of the story...be informed, play around with different settings to optimize and refine, but ENJOY!
post #906 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Guys (yes, I'm assuming we're all guys...), read and re-read that comment from Jason. Everybody take a breath...

You can't worry TOO much about what is "perfect" and how much "better" you can get your PQ if you are happy with what you have. I mean, if you are enjoying your display, don't "over think" it, and talk yourself into being less-than-satisfied.

Here is my quick story:
- Got my 632 the night before Thanksgiving; watched all the football games the next day and was blown away by the PQ...uncalibrated.
- Next, I pulled some posted settings from this thread, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I ordered the WOW disc myself, did the Basic calibration, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I did the WOW Advanced calibration, and was further impressed and happy.
- Next, I picked up on Jason's feedback about 6500K/D65 as a baseline of accuracy (I was not aware of this...had no point of reference), and tried his Game settings to get there. This was very "different" to me (and my GF), and we didn't have the patience to stick with it and get used to it (so far), so I went back.
- Jason was then kind enough to post some tweaked settings based on my WOW calibration that improved things somewhat, in terms of accuracy (though not real close to 6500K/D65), and I am using them now.

I will continue to compare settings and PQ, between what I'm using now (see above) and the more "accurate" Game settings, and continue to (possibly) do some tweaking to one or both, but I don't want to "over think" it, as the PQ (to me and my now-fiance) is stunning. Broadcast HD cable and BR movies are incredible...simply incredible.

I cannot wait to watch NASCAR on this thing...the broadcast PQ on Fox is typically top-notch, and the colors of the cars, etc. make for fantastic large-screen HD viewing.

Moral of the story...be informed, play around with different settings to optimize and refine, but ENJOY!

Well said. Sometimes it's easy to get distracted in search of perfect picture settings. Mine is only tweaked a little with settings posted here and the WOW disc and the picture is outstanding for us and we're enjoying it.
post #907 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinja View Post

I am planning on reading up on calibration and possibly buying http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...i1display.html

Hello..I looked at cal tool and I was wondering what the difference was between that (besides pricing) and this in terms of end results? http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...ware-w-m2.html

Thanks.
post #908 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Hello..I looked at cal tool and I was wondering what the difference was between that (besides pricing) and this in terms of end results? http://store.spectracal.com/consumer...ware-w-m2.html

Thanks.

That's an older generation meter. If you can swing the extra money, my research showed it was way worth it in terms of quality and accuracy.
post #909 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

That's an older generation meter. If you can swing the extra money, my research showed it was way worth it in terms of quality and accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback. I may spring for that one then. I guess I can recoup the $$$ down the road with my friends' display devices.
post #910 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM

I have been looking at the CalMAN software to buy. I have the sharp lc70le632 and a panasonic rear projection LCD tv. Does anyone know if the software will give you the service menu codes for tv's that don't have user setting for grayscale and CMS settings?
My panny only has basic settings for color temp (Cool, Normal & Warm) and simple color & tint controls. I don't want to spend $ 400.00 if I Can't find out how to enter service menu.
Ed
post #911 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post

I have been looking at the CalMAN software to buy. I have the sharp lc70le632 and a panasonic rear projection LCD tv. Does anyone know if the software will give you the service menu codes for tv's that don't have user setting for grayscale and CMS settings?
My panny only has basic settings for color temp (Cool, Normal & Warm) and simple color & tint controls. I don't want to spend $ 400.00 if I Can't find out how to enter service menu.
Ed

+1 Good point! I want to know if this software will be usable on same Sharp 70" I have and 3 other LCD's I own. Does anyone know if the software automatically gets into the service menu of the TV and tweaks it or do we have to manually get into the SM?
post #912 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As cool as the Auto-Cal feature is I highly recommend you do not use it, if you wish to go DIY then make the investment more worthwhile and take the time to learn what is actually going on (this adds to your enjoyment when you realize what you are viewing is your own accomplishment).

Aside from that it is my understanding the the CalMan Auto-Cal currently only works on the ELITE (at least regarding the current Sharp consumer line & without adding additional hardware such as an outboard processor). I think this would also require buying the Auto-Cal package.

* Here is the list of current Auto-Cal supported displays/devices... http://store.spectracal.com/ddc-support

For those of you now considering going the DIY route with some real gear... AWESOME!!!

Jason
post #913 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM

So, it looks like I am out of luck with finding service menu codes. This makes it only useful with displays that have user controls with grayscale & CMS. I also have an Insignia NS L55X-10A that i can't calibrate without service menu codes. Bummer!
Ed
post #914 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post

So, it looks like I am out of luck with finding service menu codes. This makes it only useful with displays that have user controls with grayscale & CMS. I also have an Insignia NS L55X-10A that i can't calibrate without service menu codes. Bummer!
Ed

You shouldn't need any service codes for this display. It has full CMS control as well as greyscale control via the color temp gain adjustments. Granted, both implementations aren't the best (no 10 point GS and color settings effect each other) but it does the job
post #915 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

+1 Good point! I want to know if this software will be usable on same Sharp 70" I have and 3 other LCD's I own. Does anyone know if the software automatically gets into the service menu of the TV and tweaks it or do we have to manually get into the SM?

For displays that don't have full CMS control you would need access to service mode codes. Not sure if the SW provided that or not - could probably send them an email to find out.

Most displays usually have some means of adjusting greyscale gains and even color and tiny adjustments are made easier with CalMAN.
post #916 of 1488 Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

As cool as the Auto-Cal feature is I highly recommend you do not use it, if you wish to go DIY then make the investment more worthwhile and take the time to learn what is actually going on (this adds to your enjoyment when you realize what you are viewing is your own accomplishment).

Aside from that it is my understanding the the CalMan Auto-Cal currently only works on the ELITE (at least regarding the current Sharp consumer line & without adding additional hardware such as an outboard processor). I think this would also require buying the Auto-Cal package.

* Here is the list of current Auto-Cal supported displays/devices... http://store.spectracal.com/ddc-support

For those of you now considering going the DIY route with some real gear... AWESOME!!!

Jason

The guy who calibrated my TV, works for Spectracal and they are trying to get Sharp to jump on board with autocal. Even if they do, it would be for the newer tv's, not the current crop.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #917 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK guys, I am trying some various source generation methods and would like some feedback on these settings (if anyone cares to try them).

Blu-ray player set to 4:2:2, Standard mode, Deep Color Disabled

40 ftL target, Gamma @ 2.2

MOVIE mode (Yeah! )

Backlight +2
Contrast +27 (you can go up to 32 if desired but after 27 you'll start to color shift and push a little Red into the upper IRE range, after 29 you'll also start to over saturate some of the colors* if Active Contrast is enabled)
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint -3
Sharpness +1

Gamma -2

All other settings disabled (if you wish to enable Active Contrast you'll probably want to change Gamma from -2 to -1)

Color Temp = Low

LO
R +14
G 0
B -30

HI
R +5
G +1 (Green was not tracking flat 6500k & Red/Blue would not pull it in)
B -17

CMS HSV

Hue
R +9
Y +7
G -5
C -3
B +1
M 0

Saturation
R 0
Y -3
G 0
C 0
B +7
M -12

Value
R -3
Y 0
G +15
C 0
B +16
M 0

Jason
post #918 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK guys, I am trying some various source generation methods and would like some feedback on these settings (if anyone cares to try them).

MOVIE mode (Yeah! )

Backlight +2
Contrast +27 (you can go up to 32 if desired but after 27 you'll start to color shift a bit and push a little Red into the upper IRE range, after 29 you'll also start to over saturate some of the colors)
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint -3
Sharpness +1

Gamma -2

All other settings disabled (if you wish to enable Active Contrast you'll probably want to change Gamma from -2 to -1)

Color Temp = Low

LO
R +14
G 0
B -30

HI
R +5
B -17

CMS HSV

Hue
R +9
Y +7
G -5
C -3
B +1
M 0

Saturation
R 0
Y -3
G 0
C 0
B +7
M -12

Value
R -3
Y 0
G +15
C 0
B +16
M 0

Jason

OK, giving them a shot...

Question for you, Jason: So are these a more-refined set of Movie settings, than what you gave me earlier for Movie? So closer to your 6500K/D65 Game settings, right?

Thanks again, and I'll let you know...

Walt
post #919 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
like the settings but the low temp makes it look to dark are there any movie settings that make it look brighter. also any good settings to watch hockey with movie setting makes watching hockey real dim
post #920 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, giving them a shot...

Question for you, Jason: So are these a more-refined set of Movie settings, than what you gave me earlier for Movie? So closer to your 6500K/D65 Game settings, right?

Thanks again, and I'll let you know...

Walt

Walt, yes these are even closer to 6500k/D65 than my Game mode settings, so much more refined than the 'fun combo' Movie mode settings that I previously posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

like the settings but the low temp makes it look to dark are there any movie settings that make it look brighter. also any good settings to watch hockey with movie setting makes watching hockey real dim

Turn up the backlight.

Also you should not be using Movie mode to watch Hockey, try Game mode with your tv source set to 720p vs. 1080i (unless it has 1080p output).

Jason
post #921 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Just want to thank everyone who posts in this forum. I've been following the past couple of weeks and "bit the bullet" today and ordered my 632 from Costco.

Once I get it up and running in a couple of weeks I'm sure I will post a couple of photos.

Thanks again for the many, many helpful suggestions.

Plus, a 70" LED for right around $2000........... pretty nice.
post #922 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM

i bought this set today and with DaGamePimp's settins this tv rocks!!!!! thanks everybody.bestpicture out of all my tv's-a 50" plasma,61" dlp and a 47" lcd.i love it!!
post #923 of 1488 Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:

MOVIE mode (Yeah! )

Backlight +2
Contrast +27 (you can go up to 32 if desired but after 27 you'll start to color shift a bit and push a little Red into the upper IRE range, after 29 you'll also start to over saturate some of the colors)
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint -3
Sharpness +1

Gamma -2

Color Temp = Low

LO
R +14
G 0
B -30

HI
R +5
B -17

CMS HSV

Hue
R +9
Y +7
G -5
C -3
B +1
M 0

Saturation
R 0
Y -3
G 0
C 0
B +7
M -12

Value
R -3
Y 0
G +15
C 0
B +16
M 0

Jason

Jason, these are my favorite Movie Mode settings so far. Really looks good on my panel. Thanks!

-Danny
post #924 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonso66 View Post

Jason, these are my favorite Movie Mode settings so far. Really looks good on my panel. Thanks!

+1, Jason...I'm really liking these!!

They seem better overall than the Game settings you provided earlier...a bit brighter, colors seem to have more life...very realistic overall. Skin tones across various scenes/broadcasts finally seem good!! (I have noticed that skin tones have been very inconsistent, and an area where you can really notice PQ weaknesses)

This is the closest to my plasma PQ that I've seen...a bit softer picture, less brightness, and less color pop/oversaturation.

Probably the only thing I need to get used to and adjust, depending on taste and time of day, is the brightness. Definitely a "dimmer" picture, but a far more realistic picture.

Thanks again, Jason!!
post #925 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

+1, Jason...I'm really liking these!!

They seem better overall than the Game settings you provided earlier...a bit brighter, colors seem to have more life...very realistic overall. Skin tones across various scenes/broadcasts finally seem good!! (I have noticed that skin tones have been very inconsistent, and an area where you can really notice PQ weaknesses)

This is the closest to my plasma PQ that I've seen...a bit softer picture, less brightness, and less color pop/oversaturation.

Probably the only thing I need to get used to and adjust, depending on taste and time of day, is the brightness. Definitely a "dimmer" picture, but a far more realistic picture.

Thanks again, Jason!!

Yea, 30-40 ftL is the ideal brightness target for a dark room - so if you have a bright room you can adjust accordingly.
post #926 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad to see they are working out well for several of you, these were the result of some experimentation with different methods and varying sources.

Detailed impressions are helpful if anyone has anything constructive they would like to add.

Jason
post #927 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Got the WOW disk yesterday - can't wait!

Today, to make sure that I'm playing on a level field, I did a reset on *ALL* modes (I messed with user, movie and game mode on the DirecTV input on HDMI-1.

Essentially, I reset the "user" mode while on DirecTv.

Just for giggles, I checked the BluRay input on HDMI-2, and lo and behold - the "user" mode was *NOT* reset!!!

(I do recall tweaking the "user" mode on the Blu-Ray some time back...)

That suggests to me that although the modes are available for all inputs, we can assign different settings for the SAME mode for DIFFERENT inputs???

Is this right???

--Tom
post #928 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Got the WOW disk yesterday - can't wait!

Today, to make sure that I'm playing on a level field, I did a reset on *ALL* modes (I messed with user, movie and game mode on the DirecTV input on HDMI-1.

Essentially, I reset the "user" mode while on DirecTv.

Just for giggles, I checked the BluRay input on HDMI-2, and lo and behold - the "user" mode was *NOT* reset!!!

(I do recall tweaking the "user" mode on the Blu-Ray some time back...)

That suggests to me that although the modes are available for all inputs, we can assign different settings for the SAME mode for DIFFERENT inputs???

Is this right???

--Tom

That is only true for the user setting.

Ed
post #929 of 1488 Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Glad to see they are working out well for several of you, these were the result of some experimentation with different methods and varying sources.

Detailed impressions are helpful if anyone has anything constructive they would like to add.

Jason

Movie settings are the best thanks for your effort Jason
post #930 of 1488 Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I gave up on my Vizio VF552XVT and finally purchased the Sharp LC-70le632U yesterday. I would like to thank Jason for his contributions to this thread and for the calibration settings. They worked quite nicely. The Avatar BD looked phenomenal as did the Academy Awards Ceremony last night.

Lokilarry - I have a Vizio 55inch 552 on my wall right now as well and am going to replace it with a 70 inch in the next few weeks. Deciding right now between the 632 and 733 available at Costco although struggling with the idea that the new ones are coming out and if I just wait a little longer for the price to fall....

One specific question relating to the Vizio, in looking at the 632 at Costco, I didn't love the way it looked as you started moving off center. Specifically, at around 30 degree angle, you really started to see a noticeable degredation in picture quality. I know LCDs all suffer from this, however at least under Costco suboptimal lighting conditions, it looked surprisingly bad. I didn't think the 733 had as bad an effect, although the placement of the TV in the store didn't allow for as good as a comparison.

Do you think off angle viewing on the 632 you now have is significantly better or worse than the 552 it replaced? Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page