post #991 of 1488 Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

Saw the 70" Sharp "ELITE" model today at BB. I think it was $7000. Amazing that it costs 5gs more than the 632. Very happy with this set also, remembering that no set is perfect.

Yeah seeing how the Elite has pulsing & cyan issues !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1488 Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Ya, that's what I thought. I need to buy a home DIY calibration deal. I do know white from yellow however. Thanks.

Hehe, sorry there, I was not meaning to imply that you did not know the difference from white to yellow. It's just that after watching the blue pushed brilliant whites these sets produce out of the box your eyes can play tricks on you when you see something more accurate.

Jason
post #993 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
had the same problem with these movie settings ace 5000 looked very dim and yellowish so all i did was change temp from low to middle and made the backlight to +5 and now jasons movie mode looks fantastic on my set. try it you will like it
post #994 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the 2011's have sold out Very Quickly when everyone figured out that the new ones were edge lighted ... all the fence sitter took on the Froggie mode & Leaped L O L ..
as well they should !!!!!!!!!

Mike

post #995 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
bjs in salem nh i was there today they have 3 70632 in stock 2500 dollars
post #996 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

had the same problem with these movie settings ace 5000 looked very dim and yellowish so all i did was change temp from low to middle and made the backlight to +5 and now jasons movie mode looks fantastic on my set. try it you will like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I did the exact same thing with the color temperature although I used low/medium. I actually increased the brightness a tad bit but made sure everything was fine with the DVE BD. Downton Abbey looks amazing.

While it's great that you guys are enjoying the settings with tweaks I do have to say that the odds of what you are doing actually ending up accurate is slim.

The Color Temp settings do not cross over perfectly and brightness should either be at 0 or +1 on these 632 sets, anything above that is not correct (a backlight adjustment is fine, as it mainly alters the ftL).

As I have stated previously I think many have possibly not allowed enough time to adjust from the brilliant blue pushed whites (for some people this can take a couple of weeks to adjust as our vision is adaptive). The tweak that you guys are making is telling because what you are changing is the greyscale, if you keep the CMS HSV settings then you are not changing Yellow much. What is happening is an over-compensation of blue to push the whites back to-wards a blue pushed 'brilliant white' (because that's what your eyes are telling you is correct). So what you are actually watching by changing the Color Temp (even with the adjustments from my CT Low setting) is actually ranging from 8000k to 9000k (I tested it) regardless of yellow.

Now obviously we can and do have set to set variables to consider but as I said the tweaks being done are somewhat telling as to what you guys feel looks correct.

With that said please do not misunderstand, I am not in any way saying not to use what you enjoy watching. What I am saying is simply that the tweaks you are doing to my settings are not going to come out accurate.

Jason
post #997 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is this TV a good buy at 1800 dollars? I know it's being discontinued, or so I hear, but I want a 70 inch television. My room is a 12 foot by 12 foot room. Is 70 inches too big and what Sharp model should I be considering?

My plans for this television are Xbox 360, Watching Movies (over my network so I won't be using a bluray player. Either this or by connecting my laptop to my TV and watching the movies I have on my laptop but still from a file format and not the disc), and HD television(I plan on getting a HD box from comcast). Do I need the 240 hz, 3D (I assume no I will probably never buy a 3D title), and other features of the newer versions of this TV coming out?
post #998 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Is this TV a good buy at 1800 dollars? I know it's being discontinued, or so I hear, but I want a 70 inch television. My room is a 12 foot by 12 foot room. Is 70 inches too big and what Sharp model should I be considering?

My plans for this television are Xbox 360, Watching Movies (over my network so I won't be using a bluray player. Either this or by connecting my laptop to my TV and watching the movies I have on my laptop but still from a file format and not the disc), and HD television(I plan on getting a HD box from comcast). Do I need the 240 hz, 3D (I assume no I will probably never buy a 3D title), and other features of the newer versions of this TV coming out?

'need' is such a personal choice...which will vary for everybody. once you really define yours (the 'non-negotiables') , the choices become easier

for me, i didn't need the features that you are talking about...i can wait to see where 3d is going (5 years out) before upgrading again, the 240hz is usually thumbs down on these boards for the price premium...etc.

if you can get a 70 for 1800...get it
post #999 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly what benefits am I getting with a 240hz anyway? I'm sorry for such stupid questions, but I value the opinions of people on these forums. Everything I have bought I asked here first and have been amazed and blown away. I have the best entertainment systems for the price in my house thanks to here. Also, edge lit? They all seem to be about 90 lbs, with some consuming a lot less power than others. I really don't care about the power consumption thuugh.

The issues seem to be 240hz vs 120 hz, and Quattron 4 pixel technology vs not having it. I just sold my 42 inch television because I figured I'd buy a 70 inch, but now it seems a lot harder than I thought lol. I hope to have my decision by the end of the week though so I can come back to school and enjoy a 70 inch television and full surround sound.
post #1000 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The question is still out if the new models have real a 240Hz or if it's a strobe ,software you see where this going right ?
No where does Sharp explain the 240Hz claim on the new sets ..... we'll see how that pans out some think it's a real 240Hz , I myself haven't seen how it's done anywhere in print.
Edge lighting makes the panel thinner, cheaper to make , past edge lit models had some issues .
I myself like Full Array back lighting & it's now only on the premium sets (945's)
Where in 2011 Full Array back lighting was on more than just one price range.On my Sharp(back lit Full Array) ,I have 240 on my 60" & I turn it off to 120 as I get better PQ with that 240 off .
4 pixel quattron ; I don't feel the need IMO & can't tell the difference . 4 pixel has Been reported as a gimmick by some .Mine is a three color pixel set & it's plenty bright & colorful . I sure others have opinions as well

Mike

post #1001 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The question is still out if the new models have real a 240Hz or if it's a strobe ,software you see where this going right ?
No where does Sharp explain the 240Hz claim on the new sets ..... we'll see how that pans out some think it's a real 240Hz , I myself haven't seen how it's done anywhere in print.
Edge lighting makes the panel thinner, cheaper to make , past edge lit models had some issues .
I myself like Full Array back lighting & it's now only on the premium sets (945's)
Where in 2011 Full Array back lighting was on more than just one price range.On my Sharp(back lit Full Array) ,I have 240 on my 60" & I turn it off to 120 as I get better PQ with that 240 off .
4 pixel quattron ; I don't feel the need IMO & can't tell the difference . 4 pixel has Been reported as a gimmick by some .Mine is a three color pixel set & it's plenty bright & colorful . I sure others have opinions as well

Which models have the full array back light then?

The only models I see for sale are the 632, 732, 733, 734, 735

I also see this model, LC60LE835U for decent prices too of like 1600-1800.

I've heard the 240 hz has also given lower quality and now I can see why so I'll take that off my wishlist. The 4 pixel thing I also believed was a gimmick too but wasn't sure. I can't seem to tell the difference between the 700 models other than the 735 has 3d technology.
post #1002 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

From what I understand, the human eye can't even detect the difference from 120hz to 240hz. It's just a marketing gimmick.
post #1003 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which models have the full array back light then?

The only models I see for sale are the 632, 732, 733, 734, 735

I also see this model, LC60LE835U for decent prices too of like 1600-1800.

I've heard the 240 hz has also given lower quality and now I can see why so I'll take that off my wishlist. The 4 pixel thing I also believed was a gimmick too but wasn't sure. I can't seem to tell the difference between the 700 models other than the 735 has 3d technology.

all those are back lit Full Array 2011 models , some have quad pixel some 3 , some 120 some 240 . the New 2012 are the edge lit # 640- 740- 840 , 940's are the only full array 2012 models & that is not out till summer

Mike

post #1004 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonso66 View Post

From what I understand, the human eye can't even detect the difference from 120hz to 240hz. It's just a marketing gimmick.

yeah that's how I feel, I got better sports PQ on 120Hz than on 240Hz

Mike

post #1005 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Have you seen the Quattrons then and can you comment on their picture quality? From all you've told me, you've convinced me to jump on any model I can find. I was going to go for the 732, but it seems like I can live without it and get the 632. I'm going to the store tomorrow to see how a 70 inch TV looks in person as I've never seen one. The largest TV in the house (fraternity house), I live in is a 60 inch plasma and it seems pretty big (or maybe it's a 55 inch). I could barely look at the 55 inch some times becuase there was so much to look at so I wonder how a 70 inch will look.
post #1006 of 1488 Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

seen both ,they look the same to me .
some have reported the 70" 632 @$1800 this weekend but they will be gone quickly

Mike

post #1007 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Do you know the website? I can only find it at 1900 right now.

Also, would the prices be dropping dramatically come this summer when Sharp releases its new lines?
post #1008 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

they could but it seems that the 2011's are selling fast all I can find is $1900 ATM , as i noted earlier that the prices are rising instead of falling on the 2011 70"ers as stocks start to be depleted . supply & demand @ work ..
the only prices that will be lower later in the year will refurb's (all those stocks that was returned by customers for one reason or another )
typically those returns are sent back to 3rd party by Sharp here in the US & are tested & re-boxed then put back on the market .
I myself don't buy refurb's , but there is a strategy some use to buy a Sharp warranted refurb let them fail & then have Sharp replace the unit with the newer model But that's a crap shoot .

Mike

post #1009 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for the help! Sorry last question, a little weird maybe you'll know it if not I'm going to call anyway later today and try to do it.

Is there any way I can go to the store, buy this unit with cash(same store I think you're talking about) and ship it to my house? Do I have to pay tax this way vs buying it online? I guess I don't mind paying tax but kind of sucks since I just got a speeding ticket and it's a little more money out my pocket than I intended but well, you live and you learn. It's an extra 114 dollars with tax too.

I can't buy it on my credit card, don't want my parents knowing I'm buying a huge as **** TV and they can see all my purchases.
post #1010 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for the help! Sorry last question, a little weird maybe you'll know it if not I'm going to call anyway later today and try to do it.

Is there any way I can go to the store, buy this unit with cash(same store I think you're talking about) and ship it to my house? Do I have to pay tax this way vs buying it online? I guess I don't mind paying tax but kind of sucks since I just got a speeding ticket and it's a little more money out my pocket than I intended but well, you live and you learn. It's an extra 114 dollars with tax too.

I can't buy it on my credit card, don't want my parents knowing I'm buying a huge as **** TV and they can see all my purchases.

You will have to discuss that with them ,but usually if you pay in cash @ a B&M then you gotta pay taxes

Mike

post #1011 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM

I just picked one of these up last weekend. The build date is listed as Sept 2011 which seems like it has been sitting for awhile, but I noticed that the s/n sticker on the side of the box has a -B in the lower right coner. Also the stickers on the packing for the remote etc all have a -B-. Are all the s/n's like that or does it indcite it was refurbished (B-stock)? It was sold as new.
post #1012 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM

bought mine on feb 24th at badbuy,its an oct build
post #1013 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:

I purchased mine a week ago as well and mine was a November build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdrywall View Post

bought mine on feb 24th at badbuy,its an oct build

Do your's have the -B markings?
post #1014 of 1488 Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by -B marking?

The sticker on the side of the box with the build date and s/n has a "-B" in the lower right corner. The sticker on the bag for the remote was also marked with the s/n with "-B" below it.
post #1015 of 1488 Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok, mine had a -C.

Refurbed twice?
post #1016 of 1488 Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btvid View Post

I just picked one of these up last weekend. The build date is listed as Sept 2011 which seems like it has been sitting for awhile, but I noticed that the s/n sticker on the side of the box has a -B in the lower right coner. Also the stickers on the packing for the remote etc all have a -B-. Are all the s/n's like that or does it indcite it was refurbished (B-stock)? It was sold as new.

If anyone knows anything about this PLEASE say something I was about to get mine today but afterwards I don't want to until I know more about this.
post #1017 of 1488 Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Yeah the 2011's have sold out Very Quickly when everyone figured out that the new ones were edge lighted ... all the fence sitter took on the Froggie mode & Leaped L O L ..
as well they should !!!!!!!!!

indeed
632 in the living room as of last weekend.
thanks to all who posted info - <2100 otd
post #1018 of 1488 Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #1019 of 1488 Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 AM

Anyone know how to reset the entire box back to the factory settings?

--Tom
post #1020 of 1488 Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Anyone know how to reset the entire box back to the factory settings?

--Tom

1. Unplug your set
2. While holding vol down and input buttons on your set, plug unit back in. The set should turn on and you will see a blue box with a K in it on the left hand side of your screen
3. Push Vol down and Channel down buttons at the same time on the set. You should now be in service menu.
4. With the remote controle, push the arrow down button 1 time.
5. Look for factory init.
6. Arrow right to turn it on.
7. Press enter, or ok on the remote. You should see some //////. Wait a minute and you should should get a solid green screen that says Factory Init Success.
8. Unplug TV. Wait 30 sec's
9. Plug back in and power up. You should be at first time set up.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page