post #1081 of 1488 Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

1. Unplug your set
2. While holding vol down and input buttons on your set, plug unit back in. The set should turn on and you will see a blue box with a K in it on the left hand side of your screen
3. Push Vol down and Channel down buttons at the same time on the set. You should now be in service menu.
4. With the remote controle, push the arrow down button 1 time.
5. Look for factory init.
6. Arrow right to turn it on.
7. Press enter, or ok on the remote. You should see some //////. Wait a minute and you should should get a solid green screen that says Factory Init Success.
8. Unplug TV. Wait 30 sec's
9. Plug back in and power up. You should be at first time set up.

I know the service menu is a dangerous place to be. I went in there and looked around, and it impossible for me to decipher. The question I have is: it it possible to set the Game mode color, gamma, and greyscale to match the Movie mode? If so, is it easy enough to explain so that I can understand it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1488 Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

gamepimp any luck on those new game settings you were going to post. would be nice even though your origanal ones are nice.bruins flyers at 1

Not yet, sorry, just been too busy to get back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetboy View Post

I know the service menu is a dangerous place to be. I went in there and looked around, and it impossible for me to decipher. The question I have is: it it possible to set the Game mode color, gamma, and greyscale to match the Movie mode? If so, is it easy enough to explain so that I can understand it?

While I am usually one of the first guys to dig into stuff that I shouldn't you may want to read the following thread before considering service menu adjustments on the Sharp (pay attention to comments from Doug Blackburn).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...27&postcount=1
post #1083 of 1488 Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Oh, man, I feel that guy's pain. I got pretty close last night - 35ftl, greyscale pretty good, and color luminance and tint all good. Then trying to adjust saturation - everything went to h*** in a handbasket. I watched a movie and the colors were cartoon bright - everyone looked like they had a prickly red rash, and gamma is still 2-1.8. Frustrating!
post #1084 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

*** Update : see highlight below ***

New Game mode settings on the way... they are not as good as my Movie mode settings. Something has changed with Game mode so I did the best I could with what I had to work with on my 632.

I have to run through some tests and check everything after I get some sleep so they will not be posted until later today (3/18).

Since these are Game mode settings they were done 100% via PC, no Blu Ray player was used for the test patterns. Without Active Contrast the gamma is about 1.8 - 1.9 so if you want closer to a 2.2 average gamma you'll want to enable Active Contrast.

*** Never-mind, not satisfied with them after running through extensive tests. SORRY!!! ***

I am beginning to think that whatever changed in Game mode is going to prevent a really good CAL as even getting all the numbers as close as possible it still does not look entirely accurate.

Not giving up just yet,

Jason
post #1085 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy3 View Post

Well I'm returning this TV to Costco. I tried expensive 3 foot HDMI cables but there is still lag. Shooters on the Xbox are unplayable, anytime people start talking quickly on a movie or TV it looks terribly out of sync.

I'm not sure why everybody on this thread says the TV is good for games, there is just way too much lag. Maybe I just got a lemon, but it's going back to the store. I'm getting a 64" Samsung 3D plasma to replace it.

Be careful going with the 64" as the 63s were bad with banding. The newer 64 isnt nearly as bad. I returned 3 63s before finally getting the newer 64. the 64 has it in the exact same spot but is very very dim and one wouldnt notice it unless were looking for it. Overall the new set I have now is the best all round plasma I've ever owned.
post #1086 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
What thread would the 70LE733U fall under? I'm looking for some settings for this tv and cant find an owners thread for the model. Should I start one or is there one for it somewhere that I cant find?
post #1087 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy3 View Post

Well I'm returning this TV to Costco. I tried expensive 3 foot HDMI cables but there is still lag. Shooters on the Xbox are unplayable, anytime people start talking quickly on a movie or TV it looks terribly out of sync.

I'm not sure why everybody on this thread says the TV is good for games, there is just way too much lag. Maybe I just got a lemon, but it's going back to the store. I'm getting a 64" Samsung 3D plasma to replace it.

seems that most of the returns for game Lag & Lip Snyc issues are Not the display it's self . But that most owners that have issues can't trouble shoot the problem & then blame the Display . I myself have both issues & both have been the other devices, AVR ,bad cables ,the set-top box of my D*TV ( & that was just a setting ) , thought a few times it was just a setting on the Display it's self . Makes you wonder about some Displays if that the re-furbs being out there for sale are nothing was wrong with them at all in the 1st place .
add in that the price of a HDMI cable does not mean it's gonna work OR even be the newest High Speed HDMI spec .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1088 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

*** Update : see highlight below ***

New Game mode settings on the way... they are not as good as my Movie mode settings. Something has changed with Game mode so I did the best I could with what I had to work with on my 632.

I have to run through some tests and check everything after I get some sleep so they will not be posted until later today (3/18).

Since these are Game mode settings they were done 100% via PC, no Blu Ray player was used for the test patterns. Without Active Contrast the gamma is about 1.8 - 1.9 so if you want closer to a 2.2 average gamma you'll want to enable Active Contrast.

*** Never-mind, not satisfied with them after running through extensive tests. SORRY!!! ***

I am beginning to think that whatever changed in Game mode is going to prevent a really good CAL as even getting all the numbers as close as possible it still does not look entirely accurate.

Not giving up just yet,

Jason

That's what I'm beginning to suspect. Even when the numbers are close, the picture looks terrible. Movie mode, on the other hand, works like a dream. Everything falls right into place.
post #1089 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I really like the movie mode settings, thanks again.

However, I would like to try and tune the facial tones towards a brownish tint (suntan). They are a bit on the Yellow side now. What settings would I mess with?

My Infocus projector was very good at this.
post #1090 of 1488 Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

I really like the movie mode settings, thanks again.

However, I would like to try and tune the facial tones towards a brownish tint (suntan). They are a bit on the Yellow side now. What settings would I mess with?

My Infocus projector was very good at this.

You can try to adjust the Red Hue setting, try to keep it on the + side.

Jason
post #1091 of 1488 Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I will try this tonight - many thanks!
post #1092 of 1488 Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Red and blue seem really hard to dial in. Red especially. The value, saturation, and hue controls really influence each other. I take it that is a symptom of a poor CMS system?
post #1093 of 1488 Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OMFG!!

Watched Frozen Planet on DiscoveryHD last night...IIRC, it's latest in the "Planet Earth" series.

Anyway, jaw-droppingly STUNNING on my 632 with Jason's latest Movie mode settings (I have Active Contrast ON, with the Gamma at -1, per Jason's direction). I mean, my fiance' and I were sitting there with our mouths open staring at the picture!! I have always been impressed with the PQ on this thing, but last night just blew me away...and that was after the season finale of The Walking Dead, which also ROCKS on this thing!!

FWIW, my source is a Cox HD STB connected to the panel via Component. I prefer Component over HDMI for non-1080p content. I run the sound through my Samsung 5.1 HTIB system via Toslink optical.

I just don't get how people are having issues with this panel...YMMV, I guess...
post #1094 of 1488 Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetboy View Post

Red and blue seem really hard to dial in. Red especially. The value, saturation, and hue controls really influence each other. I take it that is a symptom of a poor CMS system?

Yes, these sets do not have a properly implemented C.M.S. and I would love to see Sharp fix this via a firmware update but I doubt that will ever happen (if it is even possible based upon the processing).

Obviously it's functional and can get pretty close but there is no way to get one of these 632's perfect, just will not happen.

I messed with game mode some more and I am pretty confident at this point that (after whatever has changed) there is now no way to get it nailed down, at least not to a point where I would be satisfied with posting the settings. Although at least it can be made much better than factory by simply getting a really flat 6500k CAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

OMFG!!

Watched Frozen Planet on DiscoveryHD last night...IIRC, it's latest in the "Planet Earth" series.

Anyway, jaw-droppingly STUNNING on my 632 with Jason's latest Movie mode settings (I have Active Contrast ON, with the Gamma at -1, per Jason's direction). I mean, my fiance' and I were sitting there with our mouths open staring at the picture!! I have always been impressed with the PQ on this thing, but last night just blew me away...and that was after the season finale of The Walking Dead, which also ROCKS on this thing!!

Awesome Walt, posts like that make sharing my calibrations worth while.

Jason
post #1095 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 AM

"This series of televisions all work with LED backlights and Sharp's own range of special features that make them uniquely Sharp. The 7-series Sharp AQUOS LCD TVs expand with a 60-inch and a 70-inch with a range in price between $2,300 and $3,000. These units are going to be available this month while the 5 and 6-series units will be out be the end of the month. The 8-series has three units, each of them with Quattron technology as well as Quad Pixel Plus II technology for greater detail, smoother lines and color transitions. This lineup also has a 60 and 70-inch unit, with the 80-inch unit being the one listed above.

There's also a 9-series of units coming out with Quattron technology as well as a full-array LED backlight with localized dimming. These units will be available later this summer and do not yet have their prices set, one of them at 60-inches, the other at 70-inches, both of them working with 3D as well as 240Hz to run your eyeballs into the ground with delight. Stay tuned to Sharp for an exciting summer of television!"

http://www.slashgear.com/sharp-revea...neup-20219271/

--Tom
post #1096 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

There's also a 9-series of units coming out with Quattron technology as well as a full-array LED backlight with localized dimming. These units will be available later this summer and do not yet have their prices set, one of them at 60-inches, the other at 70-inches, both of them working with 3D as well as 240Hz to run your eyeballs into the ground with delight. Stay tuned to Sharp for an exciting summer of television!

--Tom

the 945 series is said to be cancelled &/or delayed per reports on the other Sharp threads

Mike

post #1097 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I wouldn't marginalize people's issues with lip sync. The problem is indeed with the television itself. I have had several HD televisions over the years hooked up to the same setup and have never had lip sync issues with any of them. However, there is no way I would return my tv for a problem such as that. There are certainly work arounds for it. The picture quality is phenomenal, particularly with Jason's settings. Hopefully Sharp will fix the sync issues with a future firmware update.

Have you seen this sticky thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464
It's entirely about video lag time. My six-year-old HK630 even has an AV Delay feature because of the lip sync problem with digital displays (paraphrasing the owner's manual). It's a well known problem and not the result of operator error. That's why nearly any modern AV receiver has adjustable "Lip Sync Correction". If you're using any LCD TV as part of a home theater setup, you'll have to correct for the delay using the receiver or a dedicated delay box.
That being said, I would not be able to recommend this TV to a home theater enthusiast who had an older receiver w/o lip sync correction. The only accurate picture adjustment can be had with AV Mode = Movie. You're going to settle for a good picture but bad lip sync with AV Mode = Movie, or bad picture and OK lip sync with AV Mode = Game.
Now I'm faced with replacing my AV Receiver. My HK only allows you to adjust lip sync with Dolby soundtracks! I don't feel like demo-ing endless LCDs until I find one with accurate picture and low lag time in a "Game" mode.
post #1098 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
I just assumed everybody knew about lag with so much video processing. My 5 year old sony AV receiver can go up to like 200ms delay. More than enough. Even my old Samsung had a similar delay.
post #1099 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

I paid 1899 at best buy so I wouldn't call it a price cut, but its an awesome TV!
post #1100 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanches42 View Post

I paid 1899 at best buy so I wouldn't call it a price cut, but its an awesome TV!

Yup same here...1899 the day after Thanksgiving at costco. I wouldn't call anything a price cut unless it's below this price. It is a VERY AWESOME TV with great PQ! Good luck.
post #1101 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

seems that the prices are rising as these are Great Displays that have a Full Array Back Lit LED's & the 2012 models are all edge lighted ones except the 80"ers .
So it's the 2011 stock left over that is getting very hard to find & retailers are boosting prices ,as there are only a limited amount of these to pick from ....

Mike

post #1102 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Best Buy seems to have it for $1999.99 right now. Does anyone know of a better deal out there? One thing that's BS about Best Buy, and please correct me if I'm wrong... but ALL of their TVs seem to always be on "sale." Then you take the 10% off coupon that you can easily get online, and right on the coupon it says valid on regularly priced items, including all TVs $399 and up. Anyone know a way around this? Of course saving the $200 would be very nice as it would more than cover the tax.
post #1103 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Well, no luck with Best Buy. They are sold out online and I called my local BB and they are out as well. I had them check other stores for me and they said there may be ONE at a BB about an hour from me. I'll call them in the AM to see if they have it.

Any other suggestions on where to buy one of these sets fellas?
post #1104 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Well, no luck with Best Buy. They are sold out online and I called my local BB and they are out as well. I had them check other stores for me and they said there may be ONE at a BB about an hour from me. I'll call them in the AM to see if they have it.

Check yer local Costco in the AM ?? I'd be calling that BB & give your CC info as soon as they open .. on-line the 70"632 has rocketed up to 3K

Mike

post #1105 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone ever buy from buy squad? Check the link below. It appears they have them in stock for $1999. They are in California, have free shipping, and since it's out of state it would be tax free as well. I'd like to know if they are a reputable establishment though... ?

http://www.buysquad.com/product.aspx?pf_id=LC70LE632U
post #1106 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

BB is showing them in stock around here !

Mike

post #1107 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the Buy Squad reviews all looked good so I just placed an order through them. Hopefully their web site/inventory is updated and I don't get a "we're sorry it's out of stock" email in the morning. I'm saving roughly $160 verses buying it in state on the tax, so even though it will take a week or two to arrive it's nice to save that money.
post #1108 of 1488 Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

costco. saw 5 on pallets a couple of days ago (california, YMMV). bought mine there a couple of weeks ago. the 2012's are already appearing in some costcos though.
post #1109 of 1488 Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, the Buy Squad reviews all looked good so I just placed an order through them. Hopefully their web site/inventory is updated and I don't get a "we're sorry it's out of stock" email in the morning. I'm saving roughly $160 verses buying it in state on the tax, so even though it will take a week or two to arrive it's nice to save that money.

Best of luck,

Their system showed several in my area but upon calling to verify all the inventories were off, how do you misplace a 70" HDtv (or several in this case).

Jason
post #1110 of 1488 Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Got an email back from them that it is indeed in stock, so hopefully I'm all good!

Costco seems to only have the 2012s when I search their site unless I missed something.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page