Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still trying to find some calibration settings for this panel. Here are some settings that were posted in the 732 thread (for the 632, supposedly):
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockamonkey View Post

Here are some settings for the 632 that were recommended by a user reviewer:

Standard Picture setting:
OPC - off
Backlight +8
Contrast +25
Brightness -8
Color +2
Tint 0
Sharpness +5
CMS Hue - no adjust
CMS Sat - no adjust
Color Temp - High
Mortion Enhancement - OFF
Quad Pixel - on
Active Contrast - On
Gamma +2

It would be nice for us to try and collate two sets of settings:
1. Calibrated settings from a Blu-Ray source (HDMI input)
2. Calibrated settings from HD sources (cable STB, DTV, Dish, etc...could be HDMI or Component input)

I don't really care about the settings for my PS3 or Xbox 360 via HDMI...I'll just use default Game mode, or whatever.

Do any other sources (other than here at AVS Forum) have published settings for this panel yet?

Again, let's make this thread awesome...I think lots of people have purchased, or will be purchasing, this panel, based on it's size and price point, and many of them are going to be looking for setup help!
waltaz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I've been a major Plasma advocate and just bought this set on Saturday. My wife wanted a new TV for her birthday and told me to pick out a good one that was bigger than the 55" Hitachi 720p we have had now for 4 years. We recently installed a Samsung Plasma 55" 1080p in her parents home and she loved the clearer picture and has wanted to upgrade ours ever since.

So after looking at the reviews and going and looking at the different models in the stores I went with the 632U over the four color 240hz version, got it at SC for the $1947 "One Time Sale" price. Well we couldn't be happier!! This set is fantastic! I can be a bit picky and was apprehensive going LCD over plasma but WOW good move! Sharp has made an awesome value product here.

I have used the settings posted above in the Standard mode and the picture is great. My gut feeling that there is still room for improvement and will love to hear what other people come up with on this thread and will certainly post my findings too.

The size is incredible and watching BR DVD is absolutely unbelievable. I put in Avatar and my wife had a fit she couldn't believe how good it looked.

Watching football has been great, I turned off the motion enhancement for now and it seems to do fine. I will probably play around with the low setting too, mine was on high from the factory.

For those of you riding the fence on this TV....Get It! Personally I don't see $800 or so difference for the extra yellow pixels or the faster 240hz speed. This LCD TV really performs excellent really right out of the box even before tweaking. No screen door effect here either at least not like I use to see in the stores before. And..............

Size Does Matter!................You won't regret it!
ClutchKargo is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

Well I've been a major Plasma advocate and just bought this set on Saturday. My wife wanted a new TV for her birthday and told me to pick out a good one that was bigger than the 55" Hitachi 720p we have had now for 4 years. We recently installed a Samsung Plasma 55" 1080p in her parents home and she loved the clearer picture and has wanted to upgrade ours ever since.

So after looking at the reviews and going and looking at the different models in the stores I went with the 632U over the four color 240hz version, got it at SC for the $1947 "One Time Sale" price. Well we couldn't be happier!! This set is fantastic! I can be a bit picky and was apprehensive going LCD over plasma but WOW good move! Sharp has made an awesome value product here.

I have used the settings posted above in the Standard mode and the picture is great. My gut feeling that there is still room for improvement and will love to hear what other people come up with on this thread and will certainly post my findings too.

The size is incredible and watching BR DVD is absolutely unbelievable. I put in Avatar and my wife had a fit she couldn't believe how good it looked.

Watching football has been great, I turned off the motion enhancement for now and it seems to do fine. I will probably play around with the low setting too, mine was on high from the factory.

For those of you riding the fence on this TV....Get It! Personally I don't see $800 or so difference for the extra yellow pixels or the faster 240hz speed. This LCD TV really performs excellent really right out of the box even before tweaking. No screen door effect here either at least not like I use to see in the stores before. And..............

Size Does Matter!................You won't regret it!

I'm a plasma-guy also, and agree with everything you said. I was going to go from a 58" to 64" Sammy, but really wanted bigger, so when the price point on this dropped to $1899 at Costco, I took the plunge. I have no regrets, and the picture matches (or exceeds) that of my plasma, with the exception of off-angle viewing (>30 degrees off-center). I still need to dial-in the color on broadcast sources, but it's close already, and Blu-Rays look fricking AWESOME...and the 70" is a game-changer, in terms of home viewing experience.

BTW, I'm picky about the Soap Opera Effect, and motion-blur, and neither exist, after some basic settings tweaks...
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I still need to dial-in the color on broadcast sources, but it's close already, and Blu-Rays look fricking AWESOME...and the 70" is a game-changer, in terms of home viewing experience.

BTW, I'm picky about the Soap Opera Effect, and motion-blur, and neither exist, after some basic settings tweaks...

I agree with you. My wife and daughter immediately noticed the SOE..I had to turn it off as well. I wonder if anyone else uses this feature and what is it good for? Is it used for fine detail with fast action? I thought the 120hz was used for that purpose and for sports? Anyone have any thoughts on this feature?
rbanez is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Still trying to find some calibration settings for this panel. Here are some settings that were posted in the 732 thread (for the 632, supposedly):

It would be nice for us to try and collate two sets of settings:
1. Calibrated settings from a Blu-Ray source (HDMI input)
2. Calibrated settings from HD sources (cable STB, DTV, Dish, etc...could be HDMI or Component input)

I calibrated using the WOW Disney calibration disc and my initial settings had the following settings when using STD to begin with:

OPC: On (set to preference for dark/lighted room)
Backlight Didn't touch
Contrast 34
Brightness: -4
Color +27
Tint +18
Sharpness +2
Color Temp: Mid
Motion - OFF
Active Contrast: OFF
Gamma: default

I will recalibrate it again using USER settings. My concern is that I've never had to go so high on Color/Tint before on other TV's I've calibrated using VE or Avia HT discs on DVD. I do know that the above settings do give a WOW factor in terms of color and saturation to a movie after calibration. Let me know if anyone else is using other calibration (non-pro) discs.

Does every set differ slightly with settings or are all color decoders on the same model TV the same? The blue filter had me set color to +27 and tint to +18. If anyone can confirm if theirs has this high a setting as well I'd appreciate it.

I will recalibrate again and post an update. This is an awesome thread and YES...I am enjoying the size of this BEAST!!
rbanez is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Member
 
atomic dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockamonkey View Post

Hey does anyone has any good calibration settings for this TV? I know a bunch of us are looking for them that purchased it on BF.

The difference between the 632 and 732 are minimal, just a little better colors due to the 4th pixel. Apparently with this calibrated, it will reach almost the same results as the 732. Since it is full array and not edge-lit LED, it beats all edge-lit models (besides LG LW5600 and Samsung D6400) in performance. So great value with amazing picture quality in this range.

Here are some settings that were recommended by a user reviewer:

Standard Picture setting:
OPC - off
Backlight +8
Contrast +25
Brightness -8
Color +2
Tint 0
Sharpness +5
CMS Hue - no adjust
CMS Sat - no adjust
Color Temp - High
Mortion Enhancement - OFF
Quad Pixel - on
Active Contrast - On
Gamma +2

Am I the only one that noticed that the 623 does not have quad pixel? These settings are NOT for the 632.
atomic dog is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post

Am I the only one that noticed that the 623 does not have quad pixel? These settings are NOT for the 632.

Ah...I missed that. Must be for the 732, though should be a good baseline, anyway...
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

BTW, I'm picky about the Soap Opera Effect, and motion-blur, and neither exist, after some basic settings tweaks...

The SOE was really getting on my nerves last night and I had forgotten about previous posts regarding this effect. So I went back and looked and read to turn off the film effects to get rid of it. I did that, mine was on "high", and then I seemed to notice the image didn't seem as clear, so I went back and put it on low. Still trying to determine what looks best but the SOE when on high is very annoying. So question: does turninig this film setting off to reduce SOE reduce clarity as well or is this my imagination?
ClutchKargo is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

The SOE was really getting on my nerves last night and I had forgotten about previous posts regarding this effect. So I went back and looked and read to turn off the film effects to get rid of it. I did that, mine was on "high", and then I seemed to notice the image didn't seem as clear, so I went back and put it on low. Still trying to determine what looks best but the SOE when on high is very annoying. So question: does turninig this film setting off to reduce SOE reduce clarity as well or is this my imagination?

I don't know the technical specifics, but the Film Mode applies additional processing to the image. When turned off, it is a more "natural", or "film-like" image, which is what plasma's provide, and what the people that make the shows and movies originally intended. So your comment, "didn't seem as clear", is a result of the removal of the additional processing, and is actually what most people are after, videophiles, in particular. Some people like it; however...I, for one, can't stand it.
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Briant73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I don't know the technical specifics, but the Film Mode applies additional processing to the image. When turned off, it is a more "natural", or "film-like" image, which is what plasma's provide, and what the people that make the shows and movies originally intended. So your comment, "didn't seem as clear", is a result of the removal of the additional processing, and is actually what most people are after, videophiles, in particular. Some people like it; however...I, for one, can't stand it.

I know it's supposed to make high speed action seem more fluid but any time I use it, it drives me crazy and I don't see the need for it.
Briant73 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I don't know the technical specifics, but the Film Mode applies additional processing to the image. When turned off, it is a more "natural", or "film-like" image, which is what plasma's provide, and what the people that make the shows and movies originally intended. So your comment, "didn't seem as clear", is a result of the removal of the additional processing, and is actually what most people are after, videophiles, in particular. Some people like it; however...I, for one, can't stand it.

The wife and I were watching "Knight and Day" last night on our new TV (with my "jailbroken" Apple TV using IceFilms...A totally different discussion but extremely fun and "highly interesting"!) and the SOE was so strong it really started to bother me very badly to the point I almost stopped watching the movie. So now I am interested in learning more about the adjustments and technology built into these newer sets, my older plasma just didn't have all of these tweaks available. This is going to be fun playing around with this new TV and really getting it dailed in. I am learning a great deal and from all of you and appreciate your comments and input.
ClutchKargo is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

The wife and I were watching "Knight and Day" last night on our new TV (with my "jailbroken" Apple TV using IceFilms...A totally different discussion but extremely fun and "highly interesting"!) and the SOE was so strong it really started to bother me very badly to the point I almost stopped watching the movie.

"Knight and Day" alone would be enough to make me stop watching... That said, the first thing I watched was last week's "Modern Family," and the SOE made me dizzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

So now I am interested in learning more about the adjustments and technology built into these newer sets, my older plasma just didn't have all of these tweaks available. This is going to be fun playing around with this new TV and really getting it dailed in. I am learning a great deal and from all of you and appreciate your comments and input.

Plasmas don't have the SOE-inducing processing because they don't need to; it is inherent only on LCD's.
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Member
 
afletche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: los altos, ca, usa
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone know how big the box is for this? and is it ok to lay it down or do they need to be transported upright like plasmas? i'm thinking of getting one from best buy (they have them for pickup in the local warehouse vs 3-5 ay delivery) and want to make sure it'll fit in the van - thanks!
afletche is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I know it's supposed to make high speed action seem more fluid but any time I use it, it drives me crazy and I don't see the need for it.

I think that's the "Motion Enhancement", which actually does the opposite, and causes nasty blur. Turning that to Off provides the exact same motion PQ I had on my plasma.
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afletche View Post

does anyone know how big the box is for this? and is it ok to lay it down or do they need to be transported upright like plasmas? i'm thinking of getting one from best buy (they have them for pickup in the local warehouse vs 3-5 ay delivery) and want to make sure it'll fit in the van - thanks!

Mine fit fine in my 2004 Tahoe, I folded the middle seats forward and I did lay it down. I know plasmas aren't supposed to be laid down but I did lay down this new Sharp, I've never read not to lay down LCD's, mine is working great!
ClutchKargo is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afletche View Post

does anyone know how big the box is for this? and is it ok to lay it down or do they need to be transported upright like plasmas? i'm thinking of getting one from best buy (they have them for pickup in the local warehouse vs 3-5 ay delivery) and want to make sure it'll fit in the van - thanks!

What type of van do you have? If it's not a full-size Econoline kind of van, it won't fit. The box is huge...it would only fit diagonally (upright) in the back of my short-bed Chevy Colorado truck.

And I would not lay it on its side, even though I think you technically "can", as opposed to plasma, which can't, due to the weight of the glass causing it to crack/break.
waltaz is online now  
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Member
 
bc2000y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 99 Honda Odyssey and I needed to tilt the box diagonally to get it inside. Once inside I was able to stand it up.
bc2000y is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
destiny 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
does anyone know where i could get one of these tv for the lowest price possible. thank you
destiny 21 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mjodotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone able to see an almost diamond crosshatch pattern on the tv when displaying a bright color? I wonder if I am seeing the led array? Is It normal to be able to see it? Now that I am turned on to it it is very distracting...
mjodotcom is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
kwaidonjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am torn between the sharp 70 and the Mitsubishi WD-82740. I was surprised how good the Mitsibushi looked. I thought DLP was a dead technology. I can get the 82in for $100 less than the Sharp. I will have it in a darkened basement and will do mostly gaming and Blu-ray. Some Lions football, any thoughts????
kwaidonjin is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Member
 
jwc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered the LC70E632U from hhgregg.com using their $200 Cyber Monday discount. The discount expires at midnight tonight.
jwc3 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
destiny 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
so what was total cost
destiny 21 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Newbie
 
Stopsweatinme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Search on stands in the 732 thread. As the oldest of the Sharp 70's, it has the most stand options posted.

I'm using the stand that was made for my old Mitsubishi 65 dlp...it works way better for this tv. It hangs of the edge of both sides about 1/8th of an inch but it looks perfect. Both are piano black. I can't wait to hang it on the wall just above the stand....I'll post pics
Stopsweatinme is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Member
 
jwc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

so what was total cost

It's my understanding that we are not supposed to discuss prices here. Just go their web page, look at the price and subtract $200.
jwc3 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Newbie
 
Stopsweatinme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


Stopsweatinme is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Newbie
 
Maxx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased my LC-70LE632U at Costco over a week ago and have done quite a bit a viewing in that time frame. I am a die-hard "plasma only" guy and the only reason I even gave this tv a try was the price. At $1899 for a 70" 1080p LCD it is a pretty easy decision to make...

General settings;
AV Mode = Movie
OPC = off
Motion Enhancement = off
Active Contrast = off
Film Mode = off
Digital Noise Reduction = off
Monochrome = off

Color settings;
I have messed around with the various color settings using some of the settings provided on this forum for the 732u, 734u and 735u. In some cases it looked like it was significantly better, but then in some cases it would look worse than the default settings. I believe this is mostly down to the HD source, but more on that later... I am currently using the default color settings.

Blu-Ray Performance-
The BR DVD picture quality is truly exceptional. While watching BR DVDs the blacks are very dark and almost plasma like. The 70" "Elite" may be better in this regard, but this set is very respectable even for an avid plasma viewer. Colors appear very life-like and details are rendered with exceptional accuracy. Overall, this is how this tv must be viewed to give a fair review of the PQ. The word "Stunning" came to mind while watching close up scenes of Leo DiCaprio in the movie Inception.

DirecTV HD Performance-
This is where I am at a loss for words... There appears to be such a large variation between channels and content that I am sometimes asking myself is this tv is truly a keeper. The size of the screen definitely accentuates any imperfections of a low quality signal. The colors also seem to vary quite a bit from channel to channel. The odd thing about this is I haven't changed anything from the DirecTV side so I'm not sure why it wasn't as noticeable on my 42" Panasonic plasma.

Off Angle Viewing-
This is my biggest gripe with this set. IMO it is absolutely terrible when looking at this set from any angle besides head-on. I have never experienced this with my plasma (obviously) and this will take some getting used to. I realize this is a common complaint regarding LCD panels, but it is new for me and a very significant drawback.

To summarize, I think this is a very good tv with an excellent price/size ratio which cannot be overlooked. At this pricepoint there are NO alternatives with a PQ in Blu-Ray which must be seen to believe. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my Disney WOW HD Blu-Ray setup dvds and will continue to experiment with the various color settings. I will post updates when I have them.
Maxx2 is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mjodotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post

Purchased my LC-70LE632U at Costco over a week ago and have done quite a bit a viewing in that time frame. I am a die-hard "plasma only" guy and the only reason I even gave this tv a try was the price. At $1899 for a 70" 1080p LCD it is a pretty easy decision to make...

General settings;
AV Mode = Movie
OPC = off
Motion Enhancement = off
Active Contrast = off
Film Mode = off
Digital Noise Reduction = off
Monochrome = off

Color settings;
I have messed around with the various color settings using some of the settings provided on this forum for the 732u, 734u and 735u. In some cases it looked like it was significantly better, but then in some cases it would look worse than the default settings. I believe this is mostly down to the HD source, but more on that later... I am currently using the default color settings.

Blu-Ray Performance-
The BR DVD picture quality is truly exceptional. While watching BR DVDs the blacks are very dark and almost plasma like. The 70" "Elite" may be better in this regard, but this set is very respectable even for an avid plasma viewer. Colors appear very life-like and details are rendered with exceptional accuracy. Overall, this is how this tv must be viewed to give a fair review of the PQ. The word "Stunning" came to mind while watching close up scenes of Leo DiCaprio in the movie Inception.

DirecTV HD Performance-
This is where I am at a loss for words... There appears to be such a large variation between channels and content that I am sometimes asking myself is this tv is truly a keeper. The size of the screen definitely accentuates any imperfections of a low quality signal. The colors also seem to vary quite a bit from channel to channel. The odd thing about this is I haven't changed anything from the DirecTV side so I'm not sure why it wasn't as noticeable on my 42" Panasonic plasma.

Off Angle Viewing-
This is my biggest gripe with this set. IMO it is absolutely terrible when looking at this set from any angle besides head-on. I have never experienced this with my plasma (obviously) and this will take some getting used to. I realize this is a common complaint regarding LCD panels, but it is new for me and a very significant drawback.

To summarize, I think this is a very good tv with an excellent price/size ratio which cannot be overlooked. At this pricepoint there are NO alternatives with a PQ in Blu-Ray which must be seen to believe. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my Disney WOW HD Blu-Ray setup dvds and will continue to experiment with the various color settings. I will post updates when I have them.

I agree with most of this. While blu rays generally look very good, tv performance is a huge mixed bag which was not observable on my previous tv. Part of me wants to buy into the fact that this set is just too big to work for regular tv, but another part of me cringes when spending 2000$ and not being satisfied. That's why I am giving the Panasonic 65ST30 a try. Only 5" smaller, and lots of positive reviews from well known sources such as home theater mag and cnet and costs the same 2000$ from amazon. The fact that no one has a review for this set is also a hit concerning. At the end of the day, I'll let my eyes be the judge
mjodotcom is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Member
 
kmeleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

It's my understanding that we are not supposed to discuss prices here. Just go their web page, look at the price and subtract $200.

Unfortunately I didn't see this soon enough today. Definitely the best price yet, and you could save another 5% with an hhgregg card, along with 24 month financing. It was enough to make me finally bite after being on the fence all weekend. I put it in the cart but their is no way to apply for the cc online, you have to go to the store. They're only open till 9pm so that's not going to happen. I guess I might stop in tomorrow since I'll be near their store, I wonder if they'll still work me the same deal? Guess I'll give it a shot regardless
kmeleon is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mjodotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post


I agree with most of this. While blu rays generally look very good, tv performance is a huge mixed bag which was not observable on my previous tv. Part of me wants to buy into the fact that this set is just too big to work for regular tv, but another part of me cringes when spending 2000$ and not being satisfied. That's why I am giving the Panasonic 65ST30 a try. Only 5" smaller, and lots of positive reviews from well known sources such as home theater mag and cnet and costs the same 2000$ from amazon. The fact that no one has a review for this set is also a hit concerning. At the end of the day, I'll let my eyes be the judge

Also, this whole new diamond crosshatch pattern best seen with a white background is very annoying now that I am tuned into it. It's like the DSE to the max.

For what it's worth, here are the settings I came up with from the Disney WOW DVD:

Mode: movie (used to be game, but it looks like there truly is a difference in PQ in movie vs game even with the same settings! Bummer because every other mode has bad lag on the ps3 while gaming)
Backlight: -4 (helps tame the clouds, another annoyance with this set)
Contrast: 32
Brightness: 1
Color: 7
Tint: 5
Sharpness: 1

Advanced:

CMS values: beyond my ability, left unchanged
Color temp: mid-low (personal preference to lower temp color pallet, YMMV)
ME: off
AC: off
Gamma Adjustment: 0 (Disney DVD display pattern didn't work right for this, did others have problems?)
Film mode: off
DNR: low (helps take some grain out of the picture at the expense of sharpness, noticed the graininess at the store but thought it was mainly due to cal - sadly it looks like its part of the performance)


Let me know if this helps any of y'all
mjodotcom is offline  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Member
 
jwc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeleon View Post

Unfortunately I didn't see this soon enough today. Definitely the best price yet, and you could save another 5% with an hhgregg card, along with 24 month financing. It was enough to make me finally bite after being on the fence all weekend. I put it in the cart but their is no way to apply for the cc online, you have to go to the store. They're only open till 9pm so that's not going to happen. I guess I might stop in tomorrow since I'll be near their store, I wonder if they'll still work me the same deal? Guess I'll give it a shot regardless

Yes, it's a great price for a 70-inch LED. I called my local store today to ask if they could honor the Cyber Monday web page price -- they said they could not. So, I ordered via the web page. The web page price is good until midnight tonight. They will call me tomorrow to schedule delivery. Excited!
jwc3 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off