post #1171 of 1488 Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank You DaGamePimp!

Allow me to explain (ramble).

I have had a Pro111FD for a few years.

Before that I had a 36" Sony Trinitron when they were giving them away.

So the Pioneer was my first introduction into flat panels.

It goes without saying the Pro111FD is referred to by many professionals as the "reference" display.

I think I know what that means and in no way do I mean any disrespect to anyone or organization with regards to what many professionals espouse regarding the engineering, technology and quality of the Pro111FD.

I am only repeating what the professionals stated over and over.

O.K. enough about that...

Yes, the Pioneer Kuros Plasma Panel I have is nothing short of amazing...truly.

Well now I have the Sharp LC-70LE632U.

This was purchased for gaming, studio mix downs, kinect for the grandchildren, sports broadcasts while sitting on the patio in the summer (much of the South wall is glass, and we anticipate sitting outside and watching tv thru the glass while enjoying the nice weather during the cool nights of summer and take in a night baseball game or recorded dvr golf round, etc.) etc. etc.

The display is located far and away, on the opposite side of the house and provides a second source for viewing programming when their is a conflict with a movie airing the same time a game is airing and neither my wife or I have the patience to wait for the DVR to finish recording.

It was thought of as the second tv and no real importance was placed on it other than it providing convenience.

The Kuros can not be duplicated or copied with regards to it's ability to be just the most "hands down" best display I have ever seen...this is me not a professional, so I can say what I feel.

BUT......................................................... ...............................

I plugged in the calibration settings from DaGamePimp and WOW.

These are only preliminary settings and I have not yet committed to using my " DVE"Calibration Blu-Ray disc, as time has not permitted, as I have only had the display for a week.

Understand that for my Kuros display, I used calibrations settings provided online from Home Theater Online. I then used the DVE Blu Ray Calibration disc to fine tune the calibration.

It is very possible that the display may actually benefit from an expensive ISF calibration, but I did not follow that path.

I am now "step & repeating" the same process with my Sharp display, only I am using "DaGamePimp" settings and then will use my DVE calibration disc to fine tune the display.

I am amazed...truly.

I have DaGamePimp to thank for that amazement.

I know this is not a reference display and I know that there are probably many displays out there that are much better, BUT hey for $1950.00 you have to be CRAZY not to be overwhelmed by the amazing picture quality for a 70" second display that is not your primary display.

I hate to admit it but because of it's enormous size I want to watch a couple of Blu Ray movies I have in my library just to experience them again on the big screen...LOL.

I have to finish buying the speakers to finish out the 5.1 surround, but I can wait.

I use all Paradigm speaker equipment for my main system and will do the same for this new second system, which, remember, is supposed to be just a second display etc. etc., but now requires me to get a full 5.1 surround system for it...can you believe it, even my wife is excited and can't wait and also made note that we might be over the top...how many people have two full blown surround systems and large displays?

I use nothing but Denon top of the line A/V Receivers to manage my systems, and yes I have three of them. All capable of video upscaling, 7.1 surround etc. etc.

I know, I know...some people prefer separates or other great electronics but I have had amazing success with Denon for over 25 years and to be honest they are affordable for what I get. More than $2000.00 for an A/V Receiver is not in my wallet when I need $3000.00 for Paradigm speakers and of course you know what the Kuros and Sharp cost...not including HDMI and other assorted cabling, CD Carousel, Tape Player, HD Sat, Blu-Ray etc.

I don't claim to have tens of thousands of dollars into my HT. I think I revealed enough to the readers to indicate what I have and that will give them an idea of how much weight they can apply to my opinion and after all this is only my opinion.

For $1950.00 this display is AMAZING and with DaGamePimps hard work and generosity in sharing his hard work, the display is simply blowing my mind at that price point...hands down.

I can't wait to use the Calibration Blu Ray Disc to further fine tune it, and I will post my findings.

Thank you so much Jason of DaGamePimp. You are truly providing a wonderful gift to us wannabes that dip our toes into the world of Hi-Audio/Video-Fidelity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1488 Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremojem View Post

Thank You DaGamePimp!

Allow me to explain (ramble).

I have had a Pro111FD for a few years.

Before that I had a 36" Sony Trinitron when they were giving them away.

So the Pioneer was my first introduction into flat panels.

It goes without saying the Pro111FD is referred to by many professionals as the "reference" display.

I think I know what that means and in no way do I mean any disrespect to anyone or organization with regards to what many professionals espouse regarding the engineering, technology and quality of the Pro111FD.

I am only repeating what the professionals stated over and over.

O.K. enough about that...

Yes, the Pioneer Kuros Plasma Panel I have is nothing short of amazing...truly.

Well now I have the Sharp LC-70LE632U.

This was purchased for gaming, studio mix downs, kinect for the grandchildren, sports broadcasts while sitting on the patio in the summer (much of the South wall is glass, and we anticipate sitting outside and watching tv thru the glass while enjoying the nice weather during the cool nights of summer and take in a night baseball game or recorded dvr golf round, etc.) etc. etc.

The display is located far and away, on the opposite side of the house and provides a second source for viewing programming when their is a conflict with a movie airing the same time a game is airing and neither my wife or I have the patience to wait for the DVR to finish recording.

It was thought of as the second tv and no real importance was placed on it other than it providing convenience.

The Kuros can not be duplicated or copied with regards to it's ability to be just the most "hands down" best display I have ever seen...this is me not a professional, so I can say what I feel.

BUT......................................................... ...............................

I plugged in the calibration settings from DaGamePimp and WOW.

These are only preliminary settings and I have not yet committed to using my " DVE"Calibration Blu-Ray disc, as time has not permitted, as I have only had the display for a week.

Understand that for my Kuros display, I used calibrations settings provided online from Home Theater Online. I then used the DVE Blu Ray Calibration disc to fine tune the calibration.

It is very possible that the display may actually benefit from an expensive ISF calibration, but I did not follow that path.

I am now "step & repeating" the same process with my Sharp display, only I am using "DaGamePimp" settings and then will use my DVE calibration disc to fine tune the display.

I am amazed...truly.

I have DaGamePimp to thank for that amazement.

I know this is not a reference display and I know that there are probably many displays out there that are much better, BUT hey for $1950.00 you have to be CRAZY not to be overwhelmed by the amazing picture quality for a 70" second display that is not your primary display.

I hate to admit it but because of it's enormous size I want to watch a couple of Blu Ray movies I have in my library just to experience them again on the big screen...LOL.

I have to finish buying the speakers to finish out the 5.1 surround, but I can wait.

I use all Paradigm speaker equipment for my main system and will do the same for this new second system, which, remember, is supposed to be just a second display etc. etc., but now requires me to get a full 5.1 surround system for it...can you believe it, even my wife is excited and can't wait and also made note that we might be over the top...how many people have two full blown surround systems and large displays?

I use nothing but Denon top of the line A/V Receivers to manage my systems, and yes I have three of them. All capable of video upscaling, 7.1 surround etc. etc.

I know, I know...some people prefer separates or other great electronics but I have had amazing success with Denon for over 25 years and to be honest they are affordable for what I get. More than $2000.00 for an A/V Receiver is not in my wallet when I need $3000.00 for Paradigm speakers and of course you know what the Kuros and Sharp cost...not including HDMI and other assorted cabling, CD Carousel, Tape Player, HD Sat, Blu-Ray etc.

I don't claim to have tens of thousands of dollars into my HT. I think I revealed enough to the readers to indicate what I have and that will give them an idea of how much weight they can apply to my opinion and after all this is only my opinion.

For $1950.00 this display is AMAZING and with DaGamePimps hard work and generosity in sharing his hard work, the display is simply blowing my mind at that price point...hands down.

I can't wait to use the Calibration Blu Ray Disc to further fine tune it, and I will post my findings.

Thank you so much Jason of DaGamePimp. You are truly providing a wonderful gift to us wannabes that dip our toes into the world of Hi-Audio/Video-Fidelity.

Great post! Goes to show you, if it looks good/great/awesome to you/us, why quibble with that?

I feel the same way...enjoy!
post #1173 of 1488 Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
tremojem,

I truly appreciate your very generous post and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of us (know that I am very happy to have added to your enjoyment of the display ). The Kuro Elite's are truly in a league all their own so to hear your reaction to this Sharp display is really a testament to the capability of these relatively inexpensive 632 series displays.

* Oh and if the calibration nailed it you will hopefully have nothing to adjust with your disc. I have had reports of perfect disc checks so wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you and you are very welcome!
Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1174 of 1488 Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

lokilarry,

I truly appreciate all the positive feedback! The fact that I actually enjoy this stuff so much and being able to assist such a great group of enthusiasts here at AVS makes the pleasure all mine.

But wait... I'm not done just yet, about to order another new meter (stay tuned). Hehe

Jason

post #1175 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 AM

Jason AKA DaGamePimp,

I thank you and will look forward to your next update with your new test equipment.

I want to use the calibration disc to see if I have any of the issues with the display that other posters have noticed, such as the dirty window issue.

I think the calibration disc will allow me to see this, as I have not noticed it in the least yet.

I also think if I can get a full screen with solid colors (different ones, one at a time) it will allow me to see how evenly the back lighting is distributed over the entire screen, if that makes any sense.

I have the September 2011 display and am curious if it suffers from some of the issues other posters have.

I agree that the calibration disc may not add any value, as with my Kuros I made very slight adjustments to the display using this tool, so I am confident I will experience the same with your settings.

Again, you are a very generous person with your time and valuable information that you share with all of us. The equipment you have requires money and the ability to use it effectively and not all of us have that available to us...so thank you very much.
post #1176 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

jason, many of us are appreciative of your hard work. Your settings look fantastic on my 70" 632.
Thanks.

+1...!!
post #1177 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

lokilarry,

I truly appreciate all the positive feedback! The fact that I actually enjoy this stuff so much and being able to assist such a great group of enthusiasts here at AVS makes the pleasure all mine.

But wait... I'm not done just yet, about to order another new meter (stay tuned). Hehe

Jason

Thanks, Jason. I too am eagerly awaiting if the new equipment translates to modified settings! I am also very appreciative of your efforts and postings. I am using your settings religiously (I'm a Jason Fanatic..no pun intended)! So I can't thank you enough for all your help on this forum. It makes me want to go buy more TV's now!!
post #1178 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM

I'm wondering if someone can help me connect my Visio VSB200 to my Sharp LC-70LE632U TV. I am trying to connect it via optical cable but can't see the red light being shown through the cable. It looks like its not being turned on for some reason. I did a search and found someone with a similar problem and the tech guy told him to check the Input Terminal Settings - Audio Setup area but I don't see the same options as shown in the users manual.

Is there some settings that will activate this optical cable for me to use?

Thanks!
post #1179 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jason AKA DaGamePimp,

I thank you and will look forward to your next update with your new test equipment.

I want to use the calibration disc to see if I have any of the issues with the display that other posters have noticed, such as the dirty window issue.

I think the calibration disc will allow me to see this, as I have not noticed it in the least yet.

I also think if I can get a full screen with solid colors (different ones, one at a time) it will allow me to see how evenly the back lighting is distributed over the entire screen, if that makes any sense.

I have the September 2011 display and am curious if it suffers from some of the issues other posters have.

I agree that the calibration disc may not add any value, as with my Kuros I made very slight adjustments to the display using this tool, so I am confident I will experience the same with your settings.

Again, you are a very generous person with your time and valuable information that you share with all of us. The equipment you have requires money and the ability to use it effectively and not all of us have that available to us...so thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

+1...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Thanks, Jason. I too am eagerly awaiting if the new equipment translates to modified settings! I am also very appreciative of your efforts and postings. I am using your settings religiously (I'm a Jason Fanatic..no pun intended)! So I can't thank you enough for all your help on this forum. It makes me want to go buy more TV's now!!

Thanks guys, truly appreciated!!!

I'm sure there will be some new settings with the gear that I am planning on, taking things to the next level so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinit View Post

I'm wondering if someone can help me connect my Visio VSB200 to my Sharp LC-70LE632U TV. I am trying to connect it via optical cable but can't see the red light being shown through the cable. It looks like its not being turned on for some reason. I did a search and found someone with a similar problem and the tech guy told him to check the Input Terminal Settings - Audio Setup area but I don't see the same options as shown in the users manual.

Is there some settings that will activate this optical cable for me to use?

Thanks!

While I have not used the optical out myself it is my understanding that it is only active for RF cable/ota signals. I do not think you can use it as a pass through, could be wrong however.

Jason

post #1180 of 1488 Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

I can confirm that the optical out on the 632 works with HDMI sources. Thats how I'm using my PS3 and listening through my audio equipment.

I will check my settings tomorrow, but remember using PCM linear instead of Dolby out.
post #1181 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beranga View Post

I can confirm that the optical out on the 632 works with HDMI sources. Thats how I'm using my PS3 and listening through my audio equipment.

I will check my settings tomorrow, but remember using PCM linear instead of Dolby out.

Ah, I thought others had reported it as not working in a pass through fashion, that's great that it does.

Jason

post #1182 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Jason AKA DaGamePimp...

What is the "Dirty Window Issue"?

--Tom
post #1183 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM

I believe the "dirty window issue", if I understand it correctly, is something akin to driving your car with a dirty windshield and as the landscape moves in front of you, you see the dirty windshield artifacts in a fixed position, therefore providing a poor picture quality that does not change as the source material changes in front of your.

Or,

Maybe, imagine your looking thru your picture window into your yard and you fixate on one tree. As you move your head from different positions at the window, while still fixating on the single tree, the dirty artifacts of the dirty window remain constant and is repeatable.

I believe this is a problem with the display, whether it is backlighting or other issues I cannot comment on other than what I have read here.

I am sure other more experienced contributors can provide a better explanation, and I may be entirely wrong, but this is what I took from the posts I read...good luck.
post #1184 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:

I believe the "dirty window issue", if I understand it correctly, is something akin to driving your car with a dirty windshield and as the landscape moves in front of you, you see the dirty windshield artifacts in a fixed position, therefore providing a poor picture quality that does not change as the source material changes in front of your.

Or,

Maybe, imagine your looking thru your picture window into your yard and you fixate on one tree. As you move your head from different positions at the window, while still fixating on the single tree, the dirty artifacts of the dirty window remain constant and is repeatable.

I believe this is a problem with the display, whether it is backlighting or other issues I cannot comment on other than what I have read here.

I am sure other more experienced contributors can provide a better explanation, and I may be entirely wrong, but this is what I took from the posts I read...good luck.

Great explanation! I have slight DSE and only noticeable with certain backgrounds and not as bad as other's I've seen. I wonder if Sharp considers this as a defect depending on the severity? I know it's part of the panel manufacturing process but would this be same as an issue with stuck pixels and the manufacturer allows a number of stuck ones and after that you can exchange the set? If so, what is the threshold for DSE in terms of returnability? Anyone here have noticed this defect and exchanged their set based on it? Just curious..
post #1185 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beranga View Post

The owners manual does mention the PCM setting but when I go to the same settings area on my set I don't see PCM.

I appreciate the assistance.
post #1186 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Great explanation! I have slight DSE and only noticeable with certain backgrounds and not as bad as other's I've seen. I wonder if Sharp considers this as a defect depending on the severity? I know it's part of the panel manufacturing process but would this be same as an issue with stuck pixels and the manufacturer allows a number of stuck ones and after that you can exchange the set? If so, what is the threshold for DSE in terms of returnability? Anyone here have noticed this defect and exchanged their set based on it? Just curious..

I have the dirty screen effect. I don't see it all of the time, but when I do, it bugs me. If everyone doesn't have it, it would seem to be a defect, no? I'm not sure what to do... keep it and deal with it, or see if I can get a replacement. I'm worried they would give me the 2012 Edge Lit model.

-Danny
post #1187 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I have DSE on mine. I also have it on my 2 year old 55" Vizio LED full array backlit LCD, on my 5 year old Sharp 37" CCFL LCD, and my 6 year old 32" HP CCFL LCD. It is much less noticeable on the smaller televisions unless you are very close to them, but it is there. Unfortunately DSE is inherent to LCD technology and the larger the screen, the more visible it will be. However, I would guess that some televisions, even from the same model number, will have varying degrees of DSE.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Aside from Jason's outstanding picture settings, every so often, this is the EXACT symptom we've seen on our 70/632 with a HDMI DTV feed.

If anyone knows how to mitigate this to a lesser degree, please do chime in.

--Tom
post #1188 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonso66 View Post

I have the dirty screen effect. I don't see it all of the time, but when I do, it bugs me. If everyone doesn't have it, it would seem to be a defect, no? I'm not sure what to do... keep it and deal with it, or see if I can get a replacement. I'm worried they would give me the 2012 Edge Lit model.

-Danny

If you do get it replaced by sharp you definitely will be getting a 2012 model.

My 632u went out and Sharp initially was sending me a 732 As a replacement but I was notified yesterday I will be getting a 847u as a replacement as all 6xx and 7xx series are no longer available to them. I'm pretty disappointed really as the Sharp representatives are convinced this is an "upgrade" over the 2011 model. I'm tempted to not unbox it and try to sell it and get a 632/732 somewhere or an 80".
post #1189 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
is Costco still selling these? and if so, is it <$2k?
post #1190 of 1488 Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Sears still has them for 1899 if you're local store is lucky enough to have them in stock, btw just picked one up myself tonight. I used to have a 720p front projector with a 95" screen, but that was about 4 yrs ago. Last few years I've been using a 52" Sharp LCD until it bit the dust, just tried an LG 55 for a few weeks but not happy with it. Somehow I ended up buying the Sharp 70 tonight, its crazy huge for my small apartment. I'm only sitting about 9.5 feet away. The loss of "sharpness" caught me off guard at first (at least with cable source), but I'm sure I'll get used to it again. Also noticed some weird ghosting/motion blur altho playing with the trumotion and film mode settings seemed to have resolved it. Also did the firmware update but didn't notice any major changes. One weird thing is on extreme motion I could have sworn I saw a diamond pattern on the screen, perhaps from the backlight. Anyhow just my first impressions, time to read thru 40 pages of the thread
post #1191 of 1488 Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Anybody know why I would get lip sync issues with my Panasonic blu ray player. The sound starts before the lips move. I have everything going through an onkyo receiver (hts5300) via hdmi to the TV. I also have an xbox and dish network box going through the receiver, both have no issues. Prior to this TV I had the same setup running to a 50 Panasonic plasma with no problems.
post #1192 of 1488 Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM

I tried Jason's settings, movie works ok but i don't like the white colors. The colors of game mode were really nice, but screen gets choppy/ un-smooth at times. I just picked this TV up @ costco past weekend. My Sony 55" 3d went out and Costco gave me full refund (thanks 2nd year) and cost me $400 to go 70. Maybe the next settings will work better for my tv and my eyes. Thanks for sharing your settings. And if your in the Oly area, you can test your equipment on a 70 :X
post #1193 of 1488 Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM

just picked up the very last unit at my local sams. loving it so far!
post #1194 of 1488 Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger30 View Post

I got mine delivered and mounted about 2 weeks ago...jumping when they went on sale and had stock locally. I have used both the Movie and Game settings from Jason which for me the game settings wins with more color pop. Thanks Jason

Finally watched a blu-ray on this panel Saturday and it was amazing...very happy!

upgraded from a 52" Samsung...no regrets!

meant to post a picture...so here it is
LL
post #1195 of 1488 Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^^^
Google "Sharp lc-70le632u HDJ calibrated" and try this in your standard mode. Worked great.

These are just my opinions.
post #1196 of 1488 Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM

[img]http://www.***************/luoying2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.***************/luoying7.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.***************/luoying1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.***************/luoying6.jpg[/img]

[img]
]
[img]
]
post #1197 of 1488 Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

^^^
Google "Sharp lc-70le632u HDJ calibrated" and try this in your standard mode. Worked great.

Those settings on HDJ are not going to be accurate, just a heads up.

Jason

post #1198 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Jason

I agree Jason. Were you able to calibrate using Standard Mode for "irregular DTV/Cable" viewing? I am using Standard mode...mostly defaults and not touching any of the advanced settings.

I am using your Movie mode for BR movies but I was looking more for "POP" to address regular DTV/Uverse viewings for me. Do you have any suggestions for me to use for regular viewing that seems to be inconsistent across different channels? Thanks again!
post #1199 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree Jason. Were you able to calibrate using Standard Mode for "irregular DTV/Cable" viewing? I am using Standard mode...mostly defaults and not touching any of the advanced settings.

I am using your Movie mode for BR movies but I was looking more for "POP" to address regular DTV/Uverse viewings for me. Do you have any suggestions for me to use for regular viewing that seems to be inconsistent across different channels? Thanks again!

Use Jason's most recent Game Mode settings. It has more "pop" than the Movie Mode settings.
post #1200 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Jason

They are actually pretty horrible.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page