Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinit View Post

The owners manual does mention the PCM setting but when I go to the same settings area on my set I don't see PCM.

I appreciate the assistance.

PCM output has to be set at the source (DVD, PS3, BD Player).

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon84790 View Post

Use Jason's most recent Game Mode settings. It has more "pop" than the Movie Mode settings.

Thanks, Ron...I dialed up the Game settings per Jason and they do look great for what Uverse presents to me.
post #1203 of 1488 Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM

This thread has been VERY helpful in helping me decide which sharp 70" to buy...so, I've read a few of you guys talking about how awesome football looks, and thats good to know...but what about hockey?
post #1204 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post

This thread has been VERY helpful in helping me decide which sharp 70" to buy...so, I've read a few of you guys talking about how awesome football looks, and thats good to know...but what about hockey?

Hockey for me looks absolutely atrocious. The fast pans show motion blur, the bright whites bring out the diamond backlighting. The motion in general is choppy/blurry and it honestly makes me a little dizzy watching. Thats why this TV is going back to sears today...
post #1205 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaeger View Post

Hockey for me looks absolutely atrocious. The fast pans show motion blur, the bright whites bring out the diamond backlighting. The motion in general is choppy/blurry and it honestly makes me a little dizzy watching. Thats why this TV is going back to sears today...

that's unfortunate to learn...MAJOR part of my decision hinges on hockey....thanks for the reply...
post #1206 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:

that's unfortunate to learn...MAJOR part of my decision hinges on hockey....thanks for the reply...

Yea maybe only take my experience as one data point, others hear love their LC70LE632U TV sets, maybe I just got a dud, or then again there are many here that complain of motion blur and the diamond pattern too...
post #1207 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've got an issue with my 632U after only having it for about 2 weeks. Motion on it looks choppy; hard to describe but it's almost like I'm missing a couple of frames every second. Not sure if that description makes sense... but has anyone else had this problem? What was the diagnosis and solution? I'm contacting Sharp for warranty service today.
post #1208 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM

If the 640 did away with dse i would consider the swap. My 0.02
post #1209 of 1488 Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Have those of you suffering from motion issues tried Game mode by chance?

I admit that I do not watch hockey (just basketball) but I am an avid gamer, I have a gaming pc that runs most any game at 60+ fps and have no significant motion issues. Obviously lcd is not as smooth as crt/plasma/dlp but the 632 does offer respectable lag in Game mode (30ms). The downside here is that Game mode is not as accurate as Movie mode but then I would think most people are not as concerned with accuracy during sports viewing as they would be with movie viewing (?).

I have stepped up my calibration gear with a new i1Display Pro (D3) colorimeter and i1Pro spectro so I'll try to get you guys settings as accurate as possible (on my 60LE632) and hope that some of you get lucky with the settings. Obviously with set to set tolerance variables this will all be luck of the draw so as always YMMV.

Jason
post #1210 of 1488 Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Hockey on my 70" 632 has been extremely engaging (as was the super bowl). I'm an avid hockey fan and I've seen no significant issues watching the NHL playoffs on Directv on my 70" 632. I'd been 100% plasma prior to getting this TV specifically because of concerns about how LCDs handle action. However, I decided to take a chance on this Sharp and have been so impressed that I can honestly say I do not have a single regret buying this TV. Picture-wise, my set has provided us with a high quality picture with great colors and pop for both TV and DVDs. It has handled everything very well except for occasional lip synch issues (primarily on TV). I have not noticed the LED grid some have claimed to see while viewing hockey but I don't look for it either. Nor have I noticed any motion issues that would change my mind about this TV. At this point, I could only be more satisfied if the lip synch issue went away entirely.

My advice to you or anyone else in your situation is to get the 632 of your choice ASAP, if you can still find one, and enjoy what's left of the playoffs.

Leave the gun, take the cannoli ...
post #1211 of 1488 Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_in_PA View Post

Hockey on my 70" 632 has been extremely engaging (as was the super bowl). I'm an avid hockey fan and I've seen no significant issues watching the NHL playoffs on Directv on my 70" 632. I'd been 100% plasma prior to getting this TV specifically because of concerns about how LCDs handle action. However, I decided to take a chance on this Sharp and have been so impressed that I can honestly say I do not have a single regret buying this TV. Picture-wise, my set has provided us with a high quality picture with great colors and pop for both TV and DVDs. It has handled everything very well except for occasional lip synch issues (primarily on TV). I have not noticed the LED grid some have claimed to see while viewing hockey but I don't look for it either. Nor have I noticed any motion issues that would change my mind about this TV. At this point, I could only be more satisfied if the lip synch issue went away entirely.

My advice to you or anyone else in your situation is to get the 632 of your choice ASAP, if you can still find one, and enjoy what's left of the playoffs.

Peter, may we ask what video mode and settings you use?

Thanks in advance.

--Tom
post #1212 of 1488 Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM

FWIW I was using game mode too and your exact settings actually. (BTW thanks for posting those for everyones use). Last night I watched a game on my EH6000 samsung and there was no comparison with the Sharp. (No diamonds, no ghosting, no blur, better off angle viewing, etc etc). Maybe my sharp really was defective, because I really can't believe that no one else would be screaming if theres was as bad as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Have those of you suffering from motion issues tried Game mode by chance?

I admit that I do not watch hockey (just basketball) but I am an avid gamer, I have a gaming pc that runs most any game at 60+ fps and have no significant motion issues. Obviously lcd is not as smooth as crt/plasma/dlp but the 632 does offer respectable lag in Game mode (30ms). The downside here is that Game mode is not as accurate as Movie mode but then I would think most people are not as concerned with accuracy during sports viewing as they would be with movie viewing (?).

I have stepped up my calibration gear with a new i1Display Pro (D3) colorimeter and i1Pro spectro so I'll try to get you guys settings as accurate as possible (on my 60LE632) and hope that some of you get lucky with the settings. Obviously with set to set tolerance variables this will all be luck of the draw so as always YMMV.

Jason

post #1213 of 1488 Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM

All,

I ordered an LC-70LE735U from Amazon yesterday for $2900, then went to Sears to buy a TV stand today - and they had a 632U on clearance for $1800 (September 2011 manufacture date). My wife and I decided to buy the 632U on the spot to save the $1100 (we don't really care about 3D or Quattron or the 240 refresh rate), and I am bringing it home tomorrow. After having read all 42 pages of this thread, I am excited to try out Jason's settings for both Gaming and Movies. I have three questions that I'm hoping some one can answer:

1. I saw some notes indicating that these TVs have to be transported upright - is that true? I had planned on using my brother-in-law's SUV to transport it with the TV lying flat with the seats down, but will change my plans if that will damage the TV (the Sears guys said it didn't matter - but not sure if that is accurate info).

2. I bought an Oppo BDP-93 to go with the new TV, and I know you can do lots of video adjusting with it - so how would I go about calibrating with Jason's settings? Do I just leave all the video settings default on the Oppo and then make all setting changes directly on the 632U? Does that defeat any of the advantages of the Oppo video processing capabilities? I certainly don't want to have to calibrate in 2 places

3. I am running an excellent, but older model flagship Denon receiver, which does not handle HDMI or have any controls for audio delay - so I am really afraid I'm going to have lip-sync issues. Home theater audio is very important to me, and I currently run all audio to my receiver via optical and plan to run all the the video to the TV via HDMI. Is there any way around lip-sync issues other than replacing the receiver or using Gaming mode and hoping for the best? I had no idea that this would be an issue with these new TVs - I am upgrading from a 14-year old Mitsubishi rear projection and this type of stuff was never an issue. Seems like this has the potential to be a deal-breaker, or to cost me a lot of money to address. Are there other options available?

Otherwise, I'm extremely excited about this upgrade, and have been really stoked by all the feedback from people like Waltaz and Jason - thanks in advance for all the work you've both done to promote and fine-tune these TVs!

Demian
post #1214 of 1488 Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Well, I got my new 632U home from Sears today - wound up lying it flat in the back of my SUV on a bed of pillows. It took a little manipulating to get it into the vehicle, but nothing too strenuous, so I'm hoping everything is OK. I won't be unboxing it for another day or two until I have all the rest of the stuff (cables, wall mount, Blu-ray player, etc). In the meantime, it is calling my name from inside the box.

BTW, that box looks huge in my family room - what a monster! Wish I had the cash to see how big the 80" looks in here...

Demian
post #1215 of 1488 Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM

I did a test for input lag on this TV using a timer and suggestions from the input lag thread. Standard/Movie mode appears to be around 170ms.. while Game Mode is around 80ms. All advanced processing settings are off.

Attachment 244574

Attachment 244575
LL
LL

Expert in training ;)
post #1216 of 1488 Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCanada View Post

I did a test for input lag on this TV using a timer and suggestions from the input lag thread. Standard/Movie mode appears to be around 170ms.. while Game Mode is around 80ms. All advanced processing settings are off.

Attachment 244574

Attachment 244575

Thanks for the info, Tom - so it looks like Game Mode is about twice as fast as Movie mode, but they both have lag. Do you know how much the lag has to be before lip sync issues become noticeable?

Demian
post #1217 of 1488 Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post

Thanks for the info, Tom - so it looks like Game Mode is about twice as fast as Movie mode, but they both have lag. Do you know how much the lag has to be before lip sync issues become noticeable?

Demian

I really think it depends on the person and if you are aware of it or looking for it. At 170 it's definitely noticeable to anyone watching IMO. 80.. not so much.

However most modern receivers are capable of adjusting for the lag.. and if you aren't using a receiver the TV will adjust it for you anyway.

Expert in training ;)
post #1218 of 1488 Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I really think it depends on the person and if you are aware of it or looking for it. At 170 it's definitely noticeable to anyone watching IMO. 80.. not so much.

However most modern receivers are capable of adjusting for the lag.. and if you aren't using a receiver the TV will adjust it for you anyway.

That's what I'm worried about - I'm running an older model high-end Denon receiver for home theater, and it does not have any sort of lag adjustments. I haven't had my TV speakers on for almost 15 years, so that doesn't seem like an option. I was really hoping to be able to use the calibrated Movie mode for Blu-ray and Netflix streaming, but I am afraid I may have to resort to the calibrated Game mode settings instead just to keep the lag time as little as possible. I'm hooking up the TV tomorrow, so I guess I'll soon find out first-hand how much of an issue this turns out to be.

Thanks again for posting this info - it is really helpful...

Demian
post #1219 of 1488 Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Odd that the 70" would test so much higher on Game, the 60" tests at 30ms.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=90

Jason
post #1220 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Jason, I see that you updated your Game mode settings again, and the changes look pretty significant - what inspired the latest round of changes, and how do they compare with your previous round of settings? Would you recommend turning Active Contrast on for a little extra pop when gaming with these settings?

Based on all the glowing praise, I had planned on using your Movie and Game mode settings out of the gate with my new 70LE632U, which I am planning on connecting tonight or tomorrow (still have to do all the mounting and everything) - I just want to make sure I am using the "best" of your various calibrated settings.

BTW, I am connecting an Oppo BDP-93 player to my TV - would you recommend just calibrating the TV settings and leaving the Oppo at all defaults, or is it necessary to do further calibration with the Oppo's video controls after the TV settings have been dialed in? By default Oppo has all the video enhancements turned off, but they are available for further fine-tuning if the content is poorly mastered.

Demian
post #1221 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Odd that the 70" would test so much higher on Game, the 60" tests at 30ms.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=90

Jason

In this post he is testing vs his LCD laptop monitor so those numbers wouldn't be accurate (he even admits he's just doing this test to show the difference between the two modes - not testing actual lag).

Expert in training ;)
post #1222 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:

That's what I'm worried about - I'm running an older model high-end Denon receiver for home theater, and it does not have any sort of lag adjustments.
Demian

I am assuming your denon receiver does *not* have HDMI capabilities.

If so, why don't you try running HDMI to your TV, then use the digital optical audio output from the TV to your receiver. Perhaps this would solve any lag issues (note I'm just guessing, I have no clue whether the audio output from the TV would account for the lag).

Expert in training ;)
post #1223 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

I am assuming your denon receiver does *not* have HDMI capabilities.

If so, why don't you try running HDMI to your TV, then use the digital optical audio output from the TV to your receiver. Perhaps this would solve any lag issues (note I'm just guessing, I have no clue whether the audio output from the TV would account for the lag).

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. You are correct - my receiver does not have HDMI inputs, so I was planning on running the HDMI from all sources directly to the TV for video, and then run optical or digital coax connections to the receiver for the audio.

Running the HDMI to the TV, and then using the optical on the TV to connect back to the receiver would probably work, but with one big caveat - the 2011 Sharp LCDs only relay two-channel stereo signals through the optical output when the audio is coming into the TV from an external device (by contrast, it can pass 5.1 Dolby Digital through the optical if the source is local to the TV, such as the streaming apps). So I could do this to eliminate lag, but would be giving up 5.1 surround sound processing from all my external sources. I almost didn't buy the TV at first because of this optical pass-through limitation, but I decided it wasn't that big a deal since I was planning on running the audio to the receiver directly and I had no idea about the potential for lip sync issues with LCD TVs. BTW, the manuals for the 2012 models would seem to indicate that Sharp has fixed this in the new models.

I'm going to have to see how noticeable this is - with luck it will be tolerable, since I don't have the cash to pick up a new receiver worthy of replacing my current one (although I would desperately love to upgrade for all the new features). The old receiver still sounds damned good though, despite it's age...

Demian
post #1224 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jason, I see that you updated your Game mode settings again, and the changes look pretty significant - what inspired the latest round of changes, and how do they compare with your previous round of settings? Would you recommend turning Active Contrast on for a little extra pop when gaming with these settings?

Based on all the glowing praise, I had planned on using your Movie and Game mode settings out of the gate with my new 70LE632U, which I am planning on connecting tonight or tomorrow (still have to do all the mounting and everything) - I just want to make sure I am using the "best" of your various calibrated settings.

BTW, I am connecting an Oppo BDP-93 player to my TV - would you recommend just calibrating the TV settings and leaving the Oppo at all defaults, or is it necessary to do further calibration with the Oppo's video controls after the TV settings have been dialed in? By default Oppo has all the video enhancements turned off, but they are available for further fine-tuning if the content is poorly mastered.

Demian

Well when you are using someone else's settings it does not mean that MY best will be YOUR best. I try to give a variance of settings so that more of you can hopefully get lucky with one of the calibrations. There are variables in each set because they were performed with different gear and in the case of the Game mode settings things were tweaked a little here and there (for a more vivid image with better shadow detail). Initially it was a verified Spyder 3 colorimeter, then a Spyder 4 Elite colorimeter and now I have an i1D3 colorimeter + i1Pro spectro.

So basically just try the different calibrations as you wish and see what you like, you can also verify the color/tint if you have a good calibration disc and blue filter (something like the Disney WOW disc). Just do not expect perfection even though some here have been very lucky.

Quote:

In this post he is testing vs his LCD laptop monitor so those numbers wouldn't be accurate (he even admits he's just doing this test to show the difference between the two modes - not testing actual lag).

I was commenting on my own testing, which I have since re-done on a direct view crt monitor and ended up with same basic results (only a few ms variance on average, cannot retrieve images off camera at the moment). It certainly is possible that the 60" and 70" just have different lag results as there are some differences betweent the two. It's my understanding that the panels are manufactured at different facilities and they do have varied backlight methods. What I can say is if that is accurate for the 70" I am glad (as an avid gamer) that I did not purchase the 70" last x-mas as I would have been disappointed when gaming (I also own plasma & dlp so I am sensitive to lag).

Jason
post #1225 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I was commenting on my own testing, which I have since re-done on a direct view crt monitor and ended up with same basic results (only a few ms variance on average, cannot retrieve images off camera at the moment). It certainly is possible that the 60" and 70" just have different lag results as there are some differences betweent the two. It's my understanding that the panels are manufactured at different facilities and they do have varied backlight methods. What I can say is if that is accurate for the 70" I am glad (as an avid gamer) that I did not purchase the 70" last x-mas as I would have been disappointed when gaming (I also own plasma & dlp so I am sensitive to lag).

Jason

Agreed - it's hard to recommend this for high twitch gaming (such as Call of Duty).. for most other games (ie.. skyrim, single player type games) it's fine IMO.

In the end this is a TV obviously designed for Cable & Movie watching. I'm content to make the gaming tradeoff to get the immersion of a large screen.

Expert in training ;)
post #1226 of 1488 Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Well when you are using someone else's settings it does not mean that MY best will be YOUR best. I try to give a variance of settings so that more of you can hopefully get lucky with one of the calibrations. There are variables in each set because they were performed with different gear and in the case of the Game mode settings things were tweaked a little here and there (for a more vivid image with better shadow detail). Initially it was a verified Spyder 3 colorimeter, then a Spyder 4 Elite colorimeter and now I have an i1D3 colorimeter + i1Pro spectro.

So basically just try the different calibrations as you wish and see what you like, you can also verify the color/tint if you have a good calibration disc and blue filter (something like the Disney WOW disc). Just do not expect perfection even though some here have been very lucky.

Thanks for the feedback, Jason - I get that your calibrated settings will not be perfect for my TV, but the consensus here seems to be that they are pretty darned good. I did buy the Disney WOW disc, and planned on using that after using your settings so I could see if any tweaks need to be made for my particular set. I'll let you know how your settings translate on my set...

Demian
post #1227 of 1488 Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, Jason - I get that your calibrated settings will not be perfect for my TV, but the consensus here seems to be that they are pretty darned good. I did buy the Disney WOW disc, and planned on using that after using your settings so I could see if any tweaks need to be made for my particular set. I'll let you know how your settings translate on my set...

Demian

Just posted new Movie mode settings, this latest CAL is the best my 60LE632 has ever looked. Give them a shot, hopefully they will work well for some of you.

Best of luck!

Jason
post #1228 of 1488 Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I don't have the cash to pick up a new receiver worthy of replacing my current one (although I would desperately love to upgrade for all the new features). The old receiver still sounds damned good though, despite it's age...
Demian

Hello. I had the same dilemma of not having HDMI inputs with my older Denon AVR-2700. But this receiver gave me a bit more flexibility with BR players using my 5.1 analog inputs (no lag correction either or have never used it). It had no lip sync issues that I noticed with this sharp either.

I was using this receiver on my Panasonic BD55 BR which I purchased to be able to use 5.1 on my older Denon w/o hdmi inputs. Two weeks ago, Fry's had a great sale on a newer 2011 model Denon AVR-1712 which had the latest: 6 HDMI, ARC, 3D, 7.1 and the wonderful room acoustic correction Audyssey MultEQ XT built in. Let me tell you the BIG difference it made with how my setup now sounds even when using my old speakers. It's awesome!

I made a small investment of 227 USD (compared to the price of my 70") and I totally agree that sound is 50% of the whole HT experience. So I would suggest saving up or putting one of these babies on your upcoming wish list (best bang for the buck) for the newer "room acoustic correction" Denons and you will never look back! Now I feel that this 70" Sharp (with Jason's calibrated settings) and great sound complete my HT setup that I was always aiming to achieve. Just sharing my experience.
post #1229 of 1488 Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Just posted new Movie mode settings, this latest CAL is the best my 60LE632 has ever looked. Give them a shot, hopefully they will work well for some of you.

Best of luck!

Jason

Thanks, Jason. I will give both a try and let you know. Do you have a "POP" version of the GAME mode like you did previously? Or is it same as before with ACTIVE CONTRAST set to ON and GAMMA set to -2? Please advise. Thanks again for all you do here on the forum!
post #1230 of 1488 Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Hello. I had the same dilemma of not having HDMI inputs with my older Denon AVR-2700. But this receiver gave me a bit more flexibility with BR players using my 5.1 analog inputs (no lag correction either or have never used it). It had no lip sync issues that I noticed with this sharp either.

I was using this receiver on my Panasonic BD55 BR which I purchased to be able to use 5.1 on my older Denon w/o hdmi inputs. Two weeks ago, Fry's had a great sale on a newer 2011 model Denon AVR-1712 which had the latest: 6 HDMI, ARC, 3D, 7.1 and the wonderful room acoustic correction Audyssey MultEQ XT built in. Let me tell you the BIG difference it made with how my setup now sounds even when using my old speakers. It's awesome!

I made a small investment of 227 USD (compared to the price of my 70") and I totally agree that sound is 50% of the whole HT experience. So I would suggest saving up or putting one of these babies on your upcoming wish list (best bang for the buck) for the newer "room acoustic correction" Denons and you will never look back! Now I feel that this 70" Sharp (with Jason's calibrated settings) and great sound complete my HT setup that I was always aiming to achieve. Just sharing my experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience, rbanez - glad to hear someone else in a similar position had good results. With any kind of luck, the lip sync problems won't be an issue for me either. Upgrading to a newer receiver has been on my mind for a long time due to the restrictions of my older model (no DTS, no external analog inputs for 5.1/7.1, no HDMI, no surround back, no zones, etc) - on the other hand, the Dolby Digital decoding is excellent, it pumps out plenty of clean power for my 5.1 environment, has absolutely great sound/imaging, and was the top of the line Denon flagship model at the time (meaning it also cost me thousands of dollars - in the 90's!). So I've been stuck in this mindset that if I finally upgrade, then I need to upgrade to a comparable top-quality contemporary model, which would mean another large investment - but maybe I just need to get myself over that and take a look at more affordable contemporary receivers rather than the 2 to 3 thousand dollar models that I can't afford right now anyway. I'm betting that even a mid-range current model would be taking a huge step forward for my home theater.

Can't wait to get this TV on the wall this week-end so I can stop theorizing and see how it actually all plays out...

Demian
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page