Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1321 of 1488 Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post

@ace5000

We must have similar lighting environments.....these settings are still the best so far for me...while still not perfect....

Were it intended as "Perfect" or reference quality it would be carrying the "ELITE" moniker and the price premium 2-3 times what you paid, truth be told this is a Budget truly HT Size panel and unlikely Sharp ever aimed it to be Elite PQ though the 632's are some of the highest rated consumer panels I've witnessed. No Holy Grail reference quality exists - the bar for perfection is a moving target. Enjoy!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1322 of 1488 Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok then...
ace5000 is offline  
post #1323 of 1488 Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Member
 
HowieDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Were it intended as "Perfect" or reference quality it would be carrying the "ELITE" moniker and the price premium 2-3 times what you paid, truth be told this is a Budget truly HT Size panel and unlikely Sharp ever aimed it to be Elite PQ though the 632's are some of the highest rated consumer panels I've witnessed. No Holy Grail reference quality exists - the bar for perfection is a moving target. Enjoy!

Thanks for the helpful info.....
HowieDoin is offline  
post #1324 of 1488 Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Newbie
 
tonyjspr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 65vt30 in January of this year and had chad b calibrate it in march. It was my first plasma. It has it's problems and coming from a 46" Sony xbr8 was sorta disappointed in pq personally. I was also seeing ir which was making me paranoid when playing video games. So I decided to purchase an 70le632u this week to play my Xbox on and delegate the panny to bd movies only. I could not be happier with my choice. No clouding, colors pop, no worries about ir again. I am a happy camper again. Oh, before I purchased the panny this year I bought the 70" 735u and clouding was so bad that it washed out color scenes as well. I knew it was edge lit but darn was it bad. I returned it within two days. Amazon has the best customer service. While not local dimming like my previous Sony this 632 full array makes a huge difference. I concur with previous posts that no set is perfect but the 632 with tweaks when done right is awesome at a great price.
tonyjspr74 is offline  
post #1325 of 1488 Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Hey all. I'm having a few problems with my 632U which I've only had a little over a month.

Anyway I contacted the company and they've offered to send me a LC70LE640U as a replacement.

Good move or bad move? Anyone have any experience comparing the two models?

Thank you!

Nooooo! I have the Costco model 6400 and I'm struggling big time to get a good pic. Motion handling is atrocious. Any time camera moves it's all blurry. On 2D animation like beauty and the beast the screen sort of blinks. On white field test pattern, I see two large half circles of dark cloud top and bottom. Picture an hour glass lying horizontally. The hour glass is white, but the outside is dark. Somehow I thought the 640 was ~= 634. Nooo!
barth2k is offline  
post #1326 of 1488 Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 4 year old 73" Mitsu DLP finally bit the dust. Lucky for me, I guess. I am looking at a 70" Sharp and it looks like the 632 is the best bang for the buck. Best Buy has it for 2 grand with free shipping and 36 months with no interest. Hard to beat that deal. I have Cox cable HD, a late model LG BluRay and Apple TV. Lots of Netflix movies. High quality HDMI cables, etc.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is there any performance improvement by stepping up to the 732 for an extra $300? I have no need for 3D. I understand that I need to avoid the 640.

2 - What setting, after calibration, is best for everyday use on cable feeds? Fox news, local CBS, etc? I noticed someone mentioned Game mode for that?

3 - Is it possible to easily set the unit to switch modes via a remote like the Harmony One or Pronto without having to drill into various menus each time?

4 - Is anyone very familiar with the 80' models? I am toying with that idea because of the room size but I will probably stick with the 70" due to the difference in price, unless I can find a close out or some hot rod deal.

5 - Finally, what type of life should I expect from the 632? My Mitsu lasted just over 4 years, which is right at a MONTH beyond the extended warranty period. And of course they won't do anything for me or even make me a deal. It ended up costing me roughly $1,000 a year for that TV, and it sure as heck wasn't worth it. Am I being to paranoid if I buy and extended warranty for the 632?

Lots of questions and I apologize for taking up the space, but the only way to get an accurate answer is by asking an expert, and the only real expert is the guy that owns one and lives with it every day.

Thanks in advance.....
gmarcm is offline  
post #1327 of 1488 Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey all. I was looking at the 847u, but there have been serious clouding problems for a lot of people. Then I was looking at the 735, but a lot of DSE and other problems. I'm not reading about nearly as many problems with the 70 inch 632u...is that a fair assessment?

And, if so, do you know a good place to buy it? At this point, not a lot of people are selling it for some reason. Thanks.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1328 of 1488 Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Buy on line has it for $1,999. You can buy it and have it delivered to a local store, and they will deliver it for free. Also, they have 36 months no interest.
gmarcm is offline  
post #1329 of 1488 Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

Best Buy on line has it for $1,999. You can buy it and have it delivered to a local store, and they will deliver it for free. Also, they have 36 months no interest.

Thanks - I'm still hoping to gather more info on it like you. Funny thing is I have an 82 inch Mitsubishi that I keep having to return because of buzzing sound - I've returned 3 of the same item...I'm guessing the fan noise is just something that's there and unfortunately it is a hinderance to my viewing expoerience.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1330 of 1488 Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also - anyone know if it is Matte Screen? And, if not, is there much of a glare on it? I have a pretty bright viewing area which has totally ruled out plasma for me - and I like the matte screen of the 847 (but not all the other issues that seem to come with it).

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1331 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
deepthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Watauga, TX.
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A couple of pages back in this thread you might have seen my rant. The DSE effect when watching hockey was driving me nuts, but playing with the CAL's I've gotten to the point where I can live with it. Like everyone says, no TV is perfect. But for me this TV is pretty close. I want to be clear that pretty much the only time I even notice DSE is when watching hockey. However, as much as I love hockey, the picture on this TV is just so awesome for all other content that I just can't justify returning it. At this size and price, I paid $1997 at Sam's, I just don't think it can be beat.

Some had suggested that if hockey was so important to me and DSE bothered me that badly while watching I might want to try an Edge Lit set. There is no way I cart this 70' monster back to the store to try another Edge Lit. I say another, as I've bought and returned probably a half a dozen Edge Lit sets over the last couple of years while trying to make the move to LCD. There wasn't a single one of them that didn't have some kind of backlight/blooming corner issue that I "always" noticed. So I'll live with the DSE hockey issue on this set, as I'd rather deal with it and enjoy the awesome quality of the other 95% of content than have an Edge Lit with an issue that I "always" notice.
MKEAVSNUT likes this.
deepthinker is offline  
post #1332 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker View Post

A couple of pages back in this thread you might have seen my rant. The DSE effect when watching hockey was driving me nuts, but playing with the CAL's I've gotten to the point where I can live with it. Like everyone says, no TV is perfect. But for me this TV is pretty close. I want to be clear that pretty much the only time I even notice DSE is when watching hockey. However, as much as I love hockey, the picture on this TV is just so awesome for all other content that I just can't justify returning it. At this size and price, I paid $1997 at Sam's, I just don't think it can be beat.
Some had suggested that if hockey was so important to me and DSE bothered me that badly while watching I might want to try an Edge Lit set. There is no way I cart this 70' monster back to the store to try another Edge Lit. I say another, as I've bought and returned probably a half a dozen Edge Lit sets over the last couple of years while trying to make the move to LCD. There wasn't a single one of them that didn't have some kind of backlight/blooming corner issue that I "always" noticed. So I'll live with the DSE hockey issue on this set, as I'd rather deal with it and enjoy the awesome quality of the other 95% of content than have an Edge Lit with an issue that I "always" notice.

I was looking strongly at the 847's, but the clouding issues you just described are a main reason I am rethinking and now leaning towards the 632u.

Does anyone know if Costco is still selling these? I'd like to buy there because I heard you can get a really long extended warranty through Square Trade if you buy at Costco and they have a 90 day return policy. I'd like to pick up "in-store" because I don't trust these delivery guys at all - but Costco is 45 min away which is too far to just "browse". If I know it might be there, I'll take a chance. It doesn't show up on Costco.com, but that probably doesn't show everything the have "in store". Thanks.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1333 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

Best Buy on line has it for $1,999. You can buy it and have it delivered to a local store, and they will deliver it for free. Also, they have 36 months no interest.
That Best Buy price is over by the way. I'm waiting for a refund on my Mitusbishi before I can do anything anyway - so no harm no foul. Really hoping Costco starts selling these again.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1334 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
deepthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Watauga, TX.
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

I was looking strongly at the 847's, but the clouding issues you just described are a main reason I am rethinking and now leaning towards the 632u.
Does anyone know if Costco is still selling these? I'd like to buy there because I heard you can get a really long extended warranty through Square Trade if you buy at Costco and they have a 90 day return policy. I'd like to pick up "in-store" because I don't trust these delivery guys at all - but Costco is 45 min away which is too far to just "browse". If I know it might be there, I'll take a chance. It doesn't show up on Costco.com, but that probably doesn't show everything the have "in store". Thanks.

FYI, in case you don't know and are a Sam's Club member as well, they also have a 90 day return policy on TV's.
deepthinker is offline  
post #1335 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker View Post

FYI, in case you don't know and are a Sam's Club member as well, they also have a 90 day return policy on TV's.

I did NOT know that - and Sam's Club is about 1/2 the distance. Can you tack on the $99 3-yr extended warranty from Square Trade if you purchase at Sam's? And is the warranty 2 years like Costco? I'd love to use Sam's if all things are close to equal.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1336 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Member
 
gordon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

I did NOT know that - and Sam's Club is about 1/2 the distance. Can you tack on the $99 3-yr extended warranty from Square Trade if you purchase at Sam's? And is the warranty 2 years like Costco? I'd love to use Sam's if all things are close to equal.

You can get a year of extended warranty for free if you use a specific credit card for purchase, for example my Discover card has it.

Warranty Extension
Just use your Discover Card and we will automatically double the original manufacturer's warranty up to one additional year.

Simple Claims Process
Simply call to report your claim within 45 days after the loss or damage occurs. A customer service representative will help you with everything you need to file a claim.

No Need to Enroll
This exclusive benefit is free to you as a valued cardmember. We've got you covered when you use Discover Card.
gordon7 is offline  
post #1337 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

You can get a year of extended warranty for free if you use a specific credit card for purchase, for example my Discover card has it.
Warranty Extension
Just use your Discover Card and we will automatically double the original manufacturer's warranty up to one additional year.
Simple Claims Process
Simply call to report your claim within 45 days after the loss or damage occurs. A customer service representative will help you with everything you need to file a claim.
No Need to Enroll
This exclusive benefit is free to you as a valued cardmember. We've got you covered when you use Discover Card.

Is the Discover card extension at Sam's Club? Or is it any place u buy with your Discover.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1338 of 1488 Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Member
 
gordon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
any place as long you used your card for purchase. Hunt for better bargains then Sams/Costco offers and buy from any retailer. Check your card benefits though, even if you have Discover card it may not have warranty extension provision. Some but not all Visa/MC/Amex also have similar policies.
gordon7 is offline  
post #1339 of 1488 Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Best Buy price just came back on sale, so I jumped on it. I'm hoping for the best after reading the reviews on here. My question for you guys - Best Buy has a 30 day hassle-free return policy...have any of you used it and is it really "hassle-free"???

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1340 of 1488 Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased a BluRay player last year at BB. It was terrible. Kept it two days. Took it back with my receipt and told them that I did not want it. Their only question was whether it was broken or not. I told them that I just didn't like it, and I had the full amount credited back to my Visa card. No hassle. I did the same thing a few years ago with a camera but I had them give me a gift card for the amount since I was going to buy another that day. They have not been hard to work with in my experience.

I think I am going to be able to hold off on buying the 632 now. Mitsu is replacing the DLP chip for FREE on my 4 year old 73" DLP, and they are even paying for half of the labor - they send the part to the service tech and he comes to my house. I am buying a new bulb (Philips, not some off shore junk) tomorrow for under $200 locally which will at least let me fire it up and watch the Thunder beat the Heat. Bottom line is that I will have it back up and running for under $300. So I can wait another 18 months or so until the bulb goes out again, then replace the whole TV with probably an 80" Sharp, which should be better and cost less than they do now. Or by then maybe a 4K.
gmarcm is offline  
post #1341 of 1488 Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

I purchased a BluRay player last year at BB. It was terrible. Kept it two days. Took it back with my receipt and told them that I did not want it. Their only question was whether it was broken or not. I told them that I just didn't like it, and I had the full amount credited back to my Visa card. No hassle. I did the same thing a few years ago with a camera but I had them give me a gift card for the amount since I was going to buy another that day. They have not been hard to work with in my experience.
I think I am going to be able to hold off on buying the 632 now. Mitsu is replacing the DLP chip for FREE on my 4 year old 73" DLP, and they are even paying for half of the labor - they send the part to the service tech and he comes to my house. I am buying a new bulb (Philips, not some off shore junk) tomorrow for under $200 locally which will at least let me fire it up and watch the Thunder beat the Heat. Bottom line is that I will have it back up and running for under $300. So I can wait another 18 months or so until the bulb goes out again, then replace the whole TV with probably an 80" Sharp, which should be better and cost less than they do now. Or by then maybe a 4K.

Cool - thanks for telling me about your BB experience - makes me feel better about my purchase. I really wanted to like the Mitsubishi DLP - sending back the 82"...just couldn't deal with the fan noise, or color wheel noise, or whatever noise is coming from the front and back. This is my 3rd return of the same model - I've had multiple people come to my house - half of them hear nothing, the other half hear it but it doesn't bother them as much...guess I have REALLY sensitive ears which sucks because I loved the size and the PQ was good enough. That's why I basically have to go with LCD because Plasma also has some buzzing accompanied with it so I can't go through that again. Glad Mistu is replacing your chiph for free though - that's a big help of course. I figured I'd spend the 2,000 on this model which I'm hoping gets me through the next 3 years until the OLED's are released, perfected, and come way down in price...I think 3 years is a pretty decent estimate for that.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1342 of 1488 Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you will like the 632. I hear that is the one to get because it is easily tweaked for an outstanding picture. Or spend a few more coins and get the 80".

I got more good news today. I called the tech that was going to sell me the lamp so that I could come pick it up at his shop. He said he had a service job in my area and would just bring the bulb by and pop it in for me. I described the issues I was having (turning on and off randomly, not recognizing 2 of the HDMI ports) and he said he is 99% sure it has nothing to do with the bulb. He said the software (firmware) needed to be updated. He went to my computer and went to the Mitsu support site. Found the updates, dumped them to a thumb drive, popped it in the front of my TV and in less than 5 minutes it was completely upgraded. There have been several upgrades in the 4 plus years that I have owned it but I never had a clue about having to do it. Probably most of the Mitsu owners don't. This one included all of them. He went through the service menu and checked some other stuff and said the problem is taken care of! Cost me an $85 service charge rather than a new bulb. And the same guy is coming back next week to replace the DMD chip. So my out of pocket is going to end up being $185, which includes the $100 for half of the chip replacement labor. This lemon has really turned into lemonade.

To get the upgrade for a Mitsu. Go to this site and tell it which model you have. You need a USB thumb drive with no other files on it. There is even a .pdf that walks you through how to do it. I will bet that this solves MANY of the problems that Mitsubishi customers are having.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support
gmarcm is offline  
post #1343 of 1488 Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

I think you will like the 632. I hear that is the one to get because it is easily tweaked for an outstanding picture. Or spend a few more coins and get the 80".
I got more good news today. I called the tech that was going to sell me the lamp so that I could come pick it up at his shop. He said he had a service job in my area and would just bring the bulb by and pop it in for me. I described the issues I was having (turning on and off randomly, not recognizing 2 of the HDMI ports) and he said he is 99% sure it has nothing to do with the bulb. He said the software (firmware) needed to be updated. He went to my computer and went to the Mitsu support site. Found the updates, dumped them to a thumb drive, popped it in the front of my TV and in less than 5 minutes it was completely upgraded. There have been several upgrades in the 4 plus years that I have owned it but I never had a clue about having to do it. Probably most of the Mitsu owners don't. This one included all of them. He went through the service menu and checked some other stuff and said the problem is taken care of! Cost me an $85 service charge rather than a new bulb. And the same guy is coming back next week to replace the DMD chip. So my out of pocket is going to end up being $185, which includes the $100 for half of the chip replacement labor. This lemon has really turned into lemonade.
To get the upgrade for a Mitsu. Go to this site and tell it which model you have. You need a USB thumb drive with no other files on it. There is even a .pdf that walks you through how to do it. I will bet that this solves MANY of the problems that Mitsubishi customers are having.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support

Well, they just picked up my Mitsu about an hour ago. The unwanted noise was what was the killer for me - don't think that will be solved with firmware - it's a hardware issue. All these TVs have something you have to deal with - whether it's clouding or glare or DSE or peeling. My hot button is unwanted noise. So the DLPs are pretty much out for me now, and so are the Plasmas because of that. Unfortunate, but if I can't enjoy it what's the point?

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1344 of 1488 Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is too bad. I would like to have the 80" but I doubt if I could have lived with the noise, either. I guess I am lucky in that I have never had a problem until now. The firmware solved my main problems and the DMD chip will take care of the white dots (or so they say). I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong. My investment is right at $1,000 per year so far. I am happy with the performance of this TV, especially with HDMI, so I am hoping to get another few years out of it.. I am having a Thunder watch party Tomorrow so I am happy to have it up and running again.

Let us know what you end up with. I friend of mine had a big analog projector on the floor years ago. It had huge RGB guns. Great picture but the fan sounded like a helicopter. You had to crank the sound of the movie to drown it out!
gmarcm is offline  
post #1345 of 1488 Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

That is too bad. I would like to have the 80" but I doubt if I could have lived with the noise, either. I guess I am lucky in that I have never had a problem until now. The firmware solved my main problems and the DMD chip will take care of the white dots (or so they say). I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong. My investment is right at $1,000 per year so far. I am happy with the performance of this TV, especially with HDMI, so I am hoping to get another few years out of it.. I am having a Thunder watch party Tomorrow so I am happy to have it up and running again.
Let us know what you end up with. I friend of mine had a big analog projector on the floor years ago. It had huge RGB guns. Great picture but the fan sounded like a helicopter. You had to crank the sound of the movie to drown it out!
I bought the 70 inch 632u yesterday. I'm supposed to pick up at Best Buy Wednesday. Luckily there is a Best Buy 20 min away, so I can drive it home myself. I am SOOOO rooting for the Thunder. I was actually pulling for the Spurs and thought they'd beat the Thunder in 6, but the Thunder starting playing as a "TEAM" and passing the ball following game 2 - if they continue to play that way I would not be shocked if they sweep the Heat.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1346 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Member
 
gmarcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking forward to hearing what you think about the 632U. It may take you a little bit to get it tweaked but it should be worth the time it takes.

Maybe I am kidding myself but I swear the picture on my 73" Mitsu looks better since the firmware upgrade. Blacker blacks. Sharper edges. Deeper colors. The upgrade took everything to factory defaults so I had to reset everything. I used some of the settings on a forum here and I tweaked them a bit to my liking. I watched part of "Killer Elite" last night and it looked really good. This may be the best 85 bucks I ever spent.

All of OKC, and this whole area, is fired up for the Thunder. Everyone has on Thunder shirts and hats. Banners flying. This is such a huge deal for our city. No one would have even thought twice about OKC ten years ago as a major sports market. Now we are playing for a world championship. It is still hard to believe. Thunder in 6!
gmarcm is offline  
post #1347 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcm View Post

I am looking forward to hearing what you think about the 632U. It may take you a little bit to get it tweaked but it should be worth the time it takes.
Maybe I am kidding myself but I swear the picture on my 73" Mitsu looks better since the firmware upgrade. Blacker blacks. Sharper edges. Deeper colors. The upgrade took everything to factory defaults so I had to reset everything. I used some of the settings on a forum here and I tweaked them a bit to my liking. I watched part of "Killer Elite" last night and it looked really good. This may be the best 85 bucks I ever spent.
All of OKC, and this whole area, is fired up for the Thunder. Everyone has on Thunder shirts and hats. Banners flying. This is such a huge deal for our city. No one would have even thought twice about OKC ten years ago as a major sports market. Now we are playing for a world championship. It is still hard to believe. Thunder in 6!
I'm probably just going to go with Jason's settings upon set up - a lot of people on here seemed to like them. If I need to adjust them after that I'll probably by Disney WOW to calibrate. I'm not a videophile - I just want a nice picture without any annoying flaws

The picture on my Mitsus were the problem (except the 3rd one that I believe had a faulty tube or something). It was the buzzing sound that I heard no matter what level the volume was at. It's just me - I apparently have REALLY sentitive ears. Or all 3 Mitsus I got were defective...either way, I'm hoping the LEDs don't have any ambient noise.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1348 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
NateDoggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a question about setting up my system (for those of you who know this stuff): Here are my components: 1) 70" Sharp TV; 2) Sony 7.1 AV Receiver; 3) Panasonic Blu Ray; 4) HD Cable Box; 5) XBox 360. My question to you guys is this...

My low-level expertise thinks the best way to hook it up is as follows. 1) Cable from wall to Cable Box and from Cable Box to TV (pretty obvious). 2) Cable Box HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. 3) Blu Ray HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. 4) XBox 360 HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. Then, 5) Sony Receiver HDMI OUT to Sharp TV HDMI IN. So, basically, running everything first through my Sony Receiver via HDMI, then output from my Receiver to my TV.

Is that how you guys would set it up? Or is there a better, more effective way that I don't know? Thanks so much in advance for your advice - this is the first time I'm hooking up a legit home theater.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
NateDoggg is offline  
post #1349 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
deepthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Watauga, TX.
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Holy crap!!! I just write that post responding 3 days ago to Natedoggg saying I had decided to keep the TV and just live with the hockey DSE issue. Well the wife and I were just sitting here watching the season finale of Game of Thrones off the DVR when it gets to one of the really snowy scenes. All of a sudden I see this line. I've changed inputs and even tried an OTA feed plugged straight up to the TV and it doesn't go away. There is this thin purple dotted looking line running the entire vertical length of the TV about 4 inches in from the left side of the TV. Is this a line of dead or stuck pixels????

Thankfully I still have a little less than 2 weeks on the 90 day return to Sam's Club, but it just really pisses me off, as I had finally made up my mind to keep the TV. I also have to rent a truck to take this monster back up to Sam's and since I already got rid of the box the wife or I will have to sit in the back with it and pray to God we can keep it from falling over on the way there. Man this really sucks. You guys think I should even risk renting a truck and driving this thing up to Sam's or should I just call Sharp and have them send a tech out and put it in their lap?

700

700
deepthinker is offline  
post #1350 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
deepthinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Watauga, TX.
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oh and to clarify it is not only there on a white background. I only minimized Windows MCE and brought up I.E. so there was a white background to take a better picture of it. You can see it all the time unless the screen is completely black no matter what color is being displayed. Of course you probably figured that out without my having to say it. If you look at the top left of the close up picture of Internet Explorer it cuts through the blue highlight in the URL bar.
deepthinker is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off