Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay well that didn't take long. The wife says under no circumstances are we putting this TV in the back of a rental truck and taking it back to Sam's. She actually thought I was nuts for wanting to return it because of the DSE hockey issue, as she said "How often do we really watch hockey and the picture is amazing!!" So, looks like I'm calling Sharp. I'll let you folks know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1488 Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post

I found these settings on another site and seem to work the best for me....I input them with USER setting, but the author suggests STANDARD....anyways, hockey looked really good with this setting, as well as regular sitcoms etc....I have to say that this tv might haver the WORST factory settings ever...lol...anyways, give it a try and let me know if it improves anything for anyone...especially the hockey fans!....................................................... ................

Before Calibration - The TV LOOKED AWFUL!!!!! skin tones were way off and so on .

Settings Starting from top to bottom top written here Left to Right or Red first

wich for Hue would be +6 and work your way down

TINT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LEAVE AT 0

HuE +6 0 -16 0 0 0 Skin tone fix

Saturation 0 -18 -4 -30 -13 -30 Rgb ballance

Value +10 0 -7 0 +20 0 Color Depth and Accuracy.

Each one of these changes affect 2 colors at a time thats why its hard to get them just right.Value affects

how strong Hue looks and so on .Saturation also affects how strong you set tint and Value .This is the closest

you will get without paying best buy 200bucks for calibration and you might not even notice any difference.

Color temp

You can use Med or Low Med user preference but set

0 0 0 +8 0 -10

Gama -1 / 0 looks better on shows like Icarly bc theres no shadow detail. Infact use 0 on those bright shows.

Backlight +2(turning backup up to high makes cablebox look to noisy) you need really high end HD to turn up to 16

Contrast 31 (32 makes faces wash out on sunlight eventhough calibration paterns say 32 is fine but its not)

Color +7 or your preference

brightness +1

sharpness +2

All you guys know to turn smooth motion off ,

noise reduction off, BUT you can set noise

reduction to low on your cable box or BluRays that have noticible noise. You can use Dynamic contrast as you wish bc it does help nexflix shows like 30rock wich tend to be on the greyish side .

What MODE were these in? Movie? Game?

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
post #1353 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Set up my 70-632U yesterday. Plugged in Jason's settings for Movie and Game...tweeked just a little because the wife likes a little brighter screen (so I kicked Brightness up 2 ticks in Movie Mode). Was planning on getting Disney WOW calibration disk - don't know that it's necessary. Picture is great. No issues with HD Cable. SD Cable commericals and older shows (like Cheers) don't look real good - but I don't know that they would on any new TV. Watched 1st 15 minutes of Revenge of the Sith - unbelievably crisp - almost too much...kind of has a semi-3D look to it...the only problem is that the focal points of the shot are so clear it can wash out the background a little. But, that just a result of the Blu Ray mixed with this TV mixed with Jason's settings being so crisp - my eyes will need some time to adjust to it.

I don't have perfect vision anymore, so when the screen goes completely white I ALWAYS see some deficiencies on ANY TV. Fortunately, I am not a hockey, ski, or ice skate watcher - so the diamond effect that some had hopefully won't be an issue for me. I quickly looked for it when a car commercial with an all white screen came on - I didn't notice anything CRITICAL - and I'm moving on. If it's there and I don't notice it, it is a non-issue for me.

Haven't fired up my XBox 360 yet - that is later today. But, so far, for $2,000, this is a really good investment. Hopefully issues don't crop up - or, if they do, it will be within the next 29 days.

Also, on the off-angle viewing...yeah, it's not great. But, I don't see it as unwatchable. We have an open floor plan where the living room and kitchen are separated by a half wall. When I'm in the kitchen I'm at about a 4o-45 degree angle. What I see is lighter, washed out colors - however, the picture is still relatively crisp. If I slowly walk back to a center viewing point, the colors get darker and more real. But, with some of the testimonies here, I guess I anticipated not being able to see the picture at all - but that's not the case...the colors are washed for sure, but it is still viewable while I'm making a sandwich. NOW, if I was viewing from that angle ALL THE TIME, there would be a much bigger issue for me.

Want to thank Jason and Walt (as well as some others) for their insight and help in setting this up. Best Buy still has for a good deal - so if you are still looking for this model, get it soon. Even though I just bought mine, it is still a Sept 2011 model - which I know some people had problems with, but others with December models had issues as well.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1354 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

What MODE were these in? Movie? Game?

I used USER and input the settings from scratch, I havent played around with the other modes yet but is probably a good idea...
post #1355 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm getting a little motion blur playing Halo: Reach. Wonder if anyone else is having this problem. It's not horrible, but it is there. Lag is not an issue, but blur is...especially see it on the map with the yellow (friendly) and red (enemy) dots on the map - when going fast (as in a ship) those dots really blur - that's just an extreme example, but it's there.

I'm in Game Mode. Settings are:

OPC: Off
Backlight: +6
Contrast: +28
Brightness: +1
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1
Color Temp: Low
Active Contrast: ON
Gamma: -2
Digital Noise Reduction: OFF
Monochrome: OFF

Any suggestions???

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1356 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I have a question about setting up my system (for those of you who know this stuff): Here are my components: 1) 70" Sharp TV; 2) Sony 7.1 AV Receiver; 3) Panasonic Blu Ray; 4) HD Cable Box; 5) XBox 360. My question to you guys is this...
My low-level expertise thinks the best way to hook it up is as follows. 1) Cable from wall to Cable Box and from Cable Box to TV (pretty obvious). 2) Cable Box HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. 3) Blu Ray HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. 4) XBox 360 HDMI OUT to Sony Receiver IN. Then, 5) Sony Receiver HDMI OUT to Sharp TV HDMI IN. So, basically, running everything first through my Sony Receiver via HDMI, then output from my Receiver to my TV.
Is that how you guys would set it up? Or is there a better, more effective way that I don't know? Thanks so much in advance for your advice - this is the first time I'm hooking up a legit home theater.

Here is what I would do - I have a similar setup - except it's a Denon receiver but that should make little difference.

Cable into cable box, hdmi from cable box to receiver.
blu-ray hdmi to receiver
xbox hdmi to receiver.
Reciever HDMI out to TV.

Basically the same as yours but no cable box to TV connection (not sure why you are doing that I have basically the same setup as you and I don't do that)

Expert in training ;)
post #1357 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Some motion blur is common for most LCD's, nature of the tech. The question is will you see it and will it bother you, this will vary person to person. Some see phosphor trails with plasma (I do), some see RBE with DLP (most don't), pick a tech or try them all and see what you prefer. wink.gif

Jason
post #1358 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Some motion blur is common for most LCD's, nature of the tech. The question is will you see it and will it bother you, this will vary person to person. Some see phosphor trails with plasma (I do), some see RBE with DLP (most don't), pick a tech or try them all and see what you prefer. wink.gif
Jason

I'm coming from a 10 year old DLP...so I'm wondering if my eyes need some getting used to the crispness of HD video game playing.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1359 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCanada View Post

Here is what I would do - I have a similar setup - except it's a Denon receiver but that should make little difference.
Cable into cable box, hdmi from cable box to receiver.
blu-ray hdmi to receiver
xbox hdmi to receiver.
Reciever HDMI out to TV.
Basically the same as yours but no cable box to TV connection (not sure why you are doing that I have basically the same setup as you and I don't do that)

Yeah - I have no idea why I was doing that either. I didn't hook it up this time...total habit coming from a 10 year old DLP I guess.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1360 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Anyone know why in GAME Mode I am unable to adjust Motion Enhancement, Black Level, or Film Mode? All of those options are greyed out.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1361 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Game mode is there to eliminate LAG, those settings other than black level add LAG. I don't think the Black Level setting is active via HDMI unless sending a PC signal via DVI -> HDMI.

Jason
post #1362 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Game mode is there to eliminate LAG, those settings other than black level add LAG. I don't think the Black Level setting is active via HDMI unless sending a PC signal via DVI -> HDMI.
Jason

ahh - gotcha. Still trying to get used to gaming on this thing. Making me a little dizzy. Hopefully my eyes will adjust because I really like this TV. It's only day 1, so we'll see.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1363 of 1488 Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM

This is kind of strange. I went to update the firmware on the TV I bought yesterday, but a message came up saying "The TV does not to be updated". I'm assuming that means I have the most updated firmware. However, this TV is a September 2011. And, it was sold to me as NEW from Best Buy. Am I being hosed here? How can the TV not need to be updated if it's a model from September and should not have ever been out of the box? Am I missing something here???

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1364 of 1488 Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 AM

Jason,

Please provide a link to your latest movie and game mode settings. Thank you!

--Tom
post #1365 of 1488 Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Jason,
Please provide a link to your latest movie and game mode settings. Thank you!
--Tom

All of his settings are in a link in his sig...
post #1366 of 1488 Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post

All of his settings are in a link in his sig...

Thanks!

--Tom
post #1367 of 1488 Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:

This is kind of strange. I went to update the firmware on the TV I bought yesterday, but a message came up saying "The TV does not to be updated". I'm assuming that means I have the most updated firmware. However, this TV is a September 2011. And, it was sold to me as NEW from Best Buy. Am I being hosed here? How can the TV not need to be updated if it's a model from September and should not have ever been out of the box? Am I missing something here???

You can get the download here: http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport.aspx -use USB to update

My television also did not say an update was available.
post #1368 of 1488 Old 06-15-2012, 06:28 AM

Has anyone had problems connecting to the 632U wirelessly?

I have two of five bars signal strength and am only about 70' from the wireless router, but cannot connect.

Hmmm....
post #1369 of 1488 Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM

The motion blur on my video games may be a dealbreaker. Makes it hard to play. I inputted all of Jason's settings, and the thing blurs dramatically, In Halo, with the little map at the bottom, it really shows up how the yellow and red dots violently blur in fast moving sequences (not that I care about the map but it's just an extreme example). I may have to take a swing at plasma and hope I don't get one that makes noise. Very depressing for me - I want to like this TV, but if I can' t play games comfortably, I can't keep it.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1370 of 1488 Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:

The motion blur on my video games may be a dealbreaker. Makes it hard to play. I inputted all of Jason's settings, and the thing blurs dramatically, In Halo, with the little map at the bottom, it really shows up how the yellow and red dots violently blur in fast moving sequences (not that I care about the map but it's just an extreme example). I may have to take a swing at plasma and hope I don't get one that makes noise. Very depressing for me - I want to like this TV, but if I can' t play games comfortably, I can't keep it.

If you're in a Game mode, disabled all video processing and picture is still blurred then try better quality HDMI cables.
post #1371 of 1488 Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

If you're in a Game mode, disabled all video processing and picture is still blurred then try better quality HDMI cables.
Did all that. HDMI cable is good - I have 4 and tried 3 of them. In game mode, used Jason's settings which turned everything off. Noticeable blurring during Halo.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1372 of 1488 Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I've owned three Sharps and even going back 6-7 yrs I've never had any Video Game lag or blurring on any of them - NEVER! Sharp in fact was always ahead of the curve in the early days with proprietary chips(Quick Shoot and Vipre) to resolve any gaming issues so it's odd that you are selectively replicating an event on a new model not being reported by many others in this series - I've read the reviews of the 80" 632 and never seen this event being reported as an issue. I would guess there's something else at play causing this as HALO is not really all that demanding a video game to cause any such lag/blurring or least I never had a single issue like your reporting playing virtually every HALO series for five years on my old 57" Sharp. Good Luck though!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1373 of 1488 Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM

He should check the viseo output mode on his xbox and make sure it is set to 1080P.
post #1374 of 1488 Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post

He should check the viseo output mode on his xbox and make sure it is set to 1080P.

Yep - it's set to 1080p.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1375 of 1488 Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I've owned three Sharps and even going back 6-7 yrs I've never had any Video Game lag or blurring on any of them - NEVER! Sharp in fact was always ahead of the curve in the early days with proprietary chips(Quick Shoot and Vipre) to resolve any gaming issues so it's odd that you are selectively replicating an event on a new model not being reported by many others in this series - I've read the reviews of the 80" 632 and never seen this event being reported as an issue. I would guess there's something else at play causing this as HALO is not really all that demanding a video game to cause any such lag/blurring or least I never had a single issue like your reporting playing virtually every HALO series for five years on my old 57" Sharp. Good Luck though!

Well, not sure what to tell you. Slow moving or stationary pictures look fantastic on this thing, but fast moving or quick movements blur. Watching Sherlock Holmes the other night was very difficult because some of the fast to slow motion scenes blurred dramatically. I bought a Panasonic 65VT50 to compare (I'm breaking in with slides now). When it's ready, I'm going to do a test comprised of some speciific movies, some recorded sporting events, and Halo/other FPS games to see if I see the same motion blur. If not, the Panny is going back because it is more expensive. If there is considerable difference, then the Sharp will have to go.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1376 of 1488 Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 AM

Speaking of which, can anyone help me???

I simply need to add a digital off-the-air channel, that's currently not available this morning (signal comes and goes)

I can't find a way to do this on the 70LE632 set.

I've been all over the setup menus, and, read the manual (sparse document at best).

HELP!

--Tom
post #1377 of 1488 Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Speaking of which, can anyone help me???
I simply need to add a digital off-the-air channel, that's currently not available this morning (signal comes and goes)
I can't find a way to do this on the 70LE632 set.
I've been all over the setup menus, and, read the manual (sparse document at best).
HELP!
--Tom

Are you kidding me?????

Note response from Sharp:

"I do apologize for the trouble you are having with this unit. Sadly the model of TV that you advised does not have a setting like the one you are describing, it only has the channel scanning features. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. If you would have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reply to this message, we would be more than happy to further assist you."

So, lets see. You scan the TV, and grab some channels. A few months later, you scan again, and pick up new. Problem then is that it'll drop those stations out that have formerly snagged, but are not now available. And, you can't manually add any new channels either.

Yeah... sure.

frown.gif

--Tom
post #1378 of 1488 Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I bought the lc70le632U a week ago and could not be more thrilled. I was looking for a set that would fill up my 13 x 13 foot living room and have good picture quality to satisfy the videophile in me. The first candidate, a 50" pioneer kuro krp-500 exceeded the pq criteria but fell significantly short in the size department. I was then ready to pull the trigger on the second candidate, a 60" panasonic tcp60st50, which provided a perfect balance of size and pq. As I was adding the set to my cart, I decided to browse best buy's options one last time. It was then when I found two other candidates - a 65" panasonic tcp65st50 and the 70" sharp lc70le632u. The panasonic was $100 more expensive than the sharp and being that the sharp was the last one available in my area, I decided to pull the trigger on it. I had to drive one and a half hours to pick this bad boy up as everyone else was out of stock. The thing barely fit in the back of my ford expedition...

Out of box settings are putrid, to say the least. I plugged in gamepimp's original move a game mode settings and noticed a dramatic improvement. Picture quality is plasma like IMO. Though I did notice a very small darker area in each corner, the picture is extremely uniform and light years ahead of the edge lit led set it replaced. I only noticed DSE because I had read about it in this thread (I wish I hadn't) but it is very faint and only noticeable in an all white background - you can see it in Coraline when Coraline reached the boundaries of the other-world. View angles are not as bad as this thread makes them out to be. Yes the colors get washed out a little bit, but this thread makes it seem as if the image is not even there is watching at a 35 degree angle or greater. I am very happy with this purchase and am stoked that I can finally watch TV while sitting on my living room couch, or our dining room table and even our kitchen!

That being said, I will still get a 50" Kuro in a few months for our bedroom.
post #1379 of 1488 Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I bought the lc70le632U a week ago and could not be more thrilled. I was looking for a set that would fill up my 13 x 13 foot living room and have good picture quality to satisfy the videophile in me. The first candidate, a 50" pioneer kuro krp-500 exceeded the pq criteria but fell significantly short in the size department. I was then ready to pull the trigger on the second candidate, a 60" panasonic tcp60st50, which provided a perfect balance of size and pq. As I was adding the set to my cart, I decided to browse best buy's options one last time. It was then when I found two other candidates - a 65" panasonic tcp65st50 and the 70" sharp lc70le632u. The panasonic was $100 more expensive than the sharp and being that the sharp was the last one available in my area, I decided to pull the trigger on it. I had to drive one and a half hours to pick this bad boy up as everyone else was out of stock. The thing barely fit in the back of my ford expedition...

Out of box settings are putrid, to say the least. I plugged in gamepimp's original move a game mode settings and noticed a dramatic improvement. Picture quality is plasma like IMO. Though I did notice a very small darker area in each corner, the picture is extremely uniform and light years ahead of the edge lit led set it replaced. I only noticed DSE because I had read about it in this thread (I wish I hadn't) but it is very faint and only noticeable in an all white background - you can see it in Coraline when Coraline reached the boundaries of the other-world. View angles are not as bad as this thread makes them out to be. Yes the colors get washed out a little bit, but this thread makes it seem as if the image is not even there is watching at a 35 degree angle or greater. I am very happy with this purchase and am stoked that I can finally watch TV while sitting on my living room couch, or our dining room table and even our kitchen!

That being said, I will still get a 50" Kuro in a few months for our bedroom.
post #1380 of 1488 Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM

still lovin' mine!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page