Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I disagree; this is a great customer-grabber for Sharp, and is a leg-up on every competitor. And again, I don't note any 632-specific deficiencies, other than the typical LCD drawbacks.

Yes, I will agree with you here. The reason I was able to step up to a 70" from my 46 was due to price/performance. As someone here said earlier, if you can find a plasma at the same size for the same money, I'd go buy it. Right now no one else can touch this size at this price point out there. For now Sharp is the leader in affordable BIG SCREEN LED TV's with the 70 and 80" models. As they say... VIEWMONGOUS!!!
rbanez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Yes, I will agree with you here. The reason I was able to step up to a 70" from my 46 was due to price/performance. As someone here said earlier, if you can find a plasma at the same size for the same money, I'd go buy it. Right now no one else can touch this size at this price point out there. For now Sharp is the leader in affordable BIG SCREEN LED TV's with the 70 and 80" models. As they say... VIEWMONGOUS!!!

Exactly! And that was me, about the plasma. I've always been a plasma guy, and had no intention of getting an LCD. But upgrading from 58" to 64/65" was just not doing it for me, for $2200+...then this panel came down to where it did, and I decided that was the tipping point for me. Again, if I could get a 70" plasma for <$3000, I'd go for it. But I don't foresee that until 2013, at best.

And I agree that Sharp is the leader in 70"+ flat-panels...they have made an agressive move to grab customers, and establish a foothold in that market.

EDIT: I should add, this panel has exceeded my expectations, by providing PQ that is the same or similar to my plasma. Yes, it has the off-angle drawback, but I did not expect the PQ to be generally equivalent to my plasma. And I'm enjoying the matte finish, and generally brighter display, in my very bright, sunny, many-windowed great room.
waltaz is offline  
post #183 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Member
 
geomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I get this set anywhere currently for < $2K?

Need. More. Bass.
geomark is offline  
post #184 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

And I agree that Sharp is the leader in 70"+ flat-panels...they have made an agressive move to grab customers, and establish a foothold in that market.

EDIT: I should add, this panel has exceeded my expectations, by providing PQ that is the same or similar to my plasma. Yes, it has the off-angle drawback, but I did not expect the PQ to be generally equivalent to my plasma. And I'm enjoying the matte finish, and generally brighter display, in my very bright, sunny, many-windowed great room.

To add something I just learned on this thread, I didn't know this Sharp model is very similar to the Elite model? Does the Elite use the same Sharp panel over vice versa? I saw an Elite 70" at a BB demoing "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and was mesmerized by the picture. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking at the 60LE632U models but was just drawn to this Elite set. Two weeks later, I end up with this 70" and find out it has the Elite panels! This is wonderful!
rbanez is offline  
post #185 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomark View Post

Can I get this set anywhere currently for < $2K?

Costco?
gameboy is offline  
post #186 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Costco?

My wife went to pick something up at Costco the other day and noticed the price had gone back up now. They had the $400 rebate at least through BF weekend but not sure if the rebates expired this past Monday. Now back up in price. Sorry but you may want to call locally since this deal was not online at all for what I paid for it (local to this Costco they said). It was $100 less than everywhere else locally here as well. Good Luck!
rbanez is offline  
post #187 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post


My wife went to pick something up at Costco the other day and noticed the price had gone back up now. They had the $400 rebate at least through BF weekend but not sure if the rebates expired this past Monday. Now back up in price. Sorry but you may want to call locally since this deal was not online at all for what I paid for it (local to this Costco they said). It was $100 less than everywhere else locally here as well. Good Luck!

The Costco deal expired on 11/28...I got mine there in the 23rd at the sale price.
waltaz is offline  
post #188 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

To add something I just learned on this thread, I didn't know this Sharp model is very similar to the Elite model? Does the Elite use the same Sharp panel over vice versa? I saw an Elite 70" at a BB demoing "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and was mesmerized by the picture. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking at the 60LE632U models but was just drawn to this Elite set. Two weeks later, I end up with this 70" and find out it has the Elite panels! This is wonderful!

It actually isn't the same panel as the Elite. The Elite uses the 4 color quattron panel in common with the 7xx series Sharps (with the yellow subpixels), the 632 uses a 3 color panel.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #189 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Member
 
oyeavt25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The pic quality is really good for blu-ray until you watch a movie like Batman THE DARK NIGHT...The day scenes are great ,but all the dark scenes show all the clouds .I'm having a hard time with that.Had a 70-734 3 months ago which was worse returned it .Its hard to accept this type of pic ....Its the 70" screen that hard to give up.. does lowering the back light get rid of it and what does it do to over all pic when lowering back light ?This ruins pic quality ..Its hard to accept having a plasma.Have to watch movie at night
oyeavt25 is offline  
post #190 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Briant73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyeavt25 View Post

The pic quality is really good for blu-ray until you watch a movie like Batman THE DARK NIGHT...The day scenes are great ,but all the dark scenes show all the clouds .I'm having a hard time with that.Had a 70-734 3 months ago which was worse returned it .Its hard to accept this type of pic ....Its the 70" screen that hard to give up.. does lowering the back light get rid of it and what does it do to over all pic when lowering back light ?This ruins pic quality ..Its hard to accept having a plasma.Have to watch movie at night

You could try turning down the backlight to zero or less and see how that works out.

As to visible clouding during playback I feel any TV with an easily noticeable PQ defect is a lemon. I buy a display for video quality, i could care less about the sound, internet connectivity, or how stylish it looks if the PQ is good that's all I need.
Briant73 is offline  
post #191 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
DevilDog151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked this beast up yesterday from BB and got it up and running. I'm really impressed with the PQ. I have a 3 year old 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma and I was pretty convinced that none could rival it. This one comes really close! Sitting 13 feet away from the screen in my new house the 50" wasn't cutting it. Now this 70" is perfect for my large Man Cave. I can't wait to watch football this weekend. Viewmongous indeed!

SEMPER FI
DevilDog151 is offline  
post #192 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay here are my first set of settings and I think they are my best so far on my set. I think there is room for improvement but I think this is a very good base to work from for the "Movie" mode

Mode Movie

OPC Off
Back Light +6
Contrast +31
Brightness +1
Color +7
Tint +4
Sharpness +5
Adv settings
CMS Hue none
CMS Sat none
CMS Val none
Color Temp Mid High
Mot Enhance Off
Active Cont Off
Gamma -2
Film Mode Low
DNR Auto

I've played around all afternoon with these settings and so far these look really good on my set using the Disney WOW Disc for the basics and my opinion on the rest.

Hope this helps...........Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Clutch
ClutchKargo is offline  
post #193 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
DevilDog151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I'm going to give this setting a try. I've been going back and forth between "Standard" and "Movie". I really like Movie but I don't like how it gives whites a beige tinge. I still know what to think about film mode. My Wife absolutely hates the "Soap opera effect". I think it's neat especially on such a big screen.

SEMPER FI
DevilDog151 is offline  
post #194 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Fuzzybear50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomark View Post

Can I get this set anywhere currently for < $2K?

Wait until after Xmas or even after the superbowl, they will all have a decent drop.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
Fuzzybear50 is offline  
post #195 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Member
 
jdobbs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It only has one Composite connection! I guess I will need to buy a composite switcher.
jdobbs2001 is offline  
post #196 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Member
 
ggcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both Sharp LC70LE632U and Sharp LC60LE832U (240HZ Quatron) I think they have the same PQ. To me the only different is the size!!

Two months ago, I bought the 60 inch above at Sams club for $855 + tax + shipping with full motion mounting bracket (was mis-priced).

Sharp LC70LE632U (11/25/11 BF $1719.26)
LG55LW5600 (09/30/11 $1255.00)
Sharp LC60LE832U (09/16/2011 $950.00)
Ãlevia 247TFHD (BF2007 $1350.00)
Ãlevia LT37HVS (09/21/05 $1350.00)
ggcc is offline  
post #197 of 1488 Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
DevilDog151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcc View Post

I have both Sharp LC70LE632U and Sharp LC60LE832U (240HZ Quatron) I think they have the same PQ. To me the only different is the size!!

Two months ago, I bought the 60 inch above at Sams club for $855 + tax + shipping with full motion mounting bracket (was mis-priced).

I agree! When I was in BB they had a LC70LE732U next to a LC60LE632U. The sales guy kept tying to sell me the 732 instead of the LC70LE632U that he'd have to have shipped to the store (none in stock). I kept telling him that I didn't want to spend $500 more and he kept trying to sell my on the "Quatron" yellow pixel. To me no mater how hard I tried I couldn't spot a difference. Only when the yellow BB logo came on the screen was I able to see a slight difference in saturation of yellow. Definitely not enough of a difference to pay $500 more. I'm more than happy with my LC70LE632U and glad I got it for the price I did.

SEMPER FI
DevilDog151 is offline  
post #198 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

Okay here are my first set of settings and I think they are my best so far on my set. I think there is room for improvement but I think this is a very good base to work from for the "Movie" mode

Mode Movie

OPC Off
Back Light +6
Contrast +31
Brightness +1
Color +7
Tint +4
Sharpness +5
Adv settings
CMS Hue none
CMS Sat none
CMS Val none
Color Temp Mid High
Mot Enhance Off
Active Cont Off
Gamma -2
Film Mode Low
DNR Auto

I've played around all afternoon with these settings and so far these look really good on my set using the Disney WOW Disc for the basics and my opinion on the rest.

Hope this helps...........Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Clutch

Clutch - I assume this is an HDMI input from a Blu-Ray player, correct?

How about some settings from a set-top box?
waltaz is offline  
post #199 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Clutch - I assume this is an HDMI input from a Blu-Ray player, correct?

How about some settings from a set-top box?

Yes HDMI input from a BluRay

I am currently using these settings on my DishNet Set Top box VIP 722 DVR and the picture looks fantastic. My wife and I went back through the settings this morning and are satisfied and sticking with these right now for the "Movie" mode. I will go back later today and perform settings on Standard and User modes to see how they look.

The Disney WOW disc is extremely comprehensive and flexible. I have gone through the expert settings as well and this TV set on "Dot by Dot" was pegging the Overscan test! Amazing Clarity!

I have also elected to go with "Low" on the film mode. I am not a fan of SOE but I feel this "Low" setting really adds a touch of depth and enhances the picture which looks very nice, but doesn't look annoying like the "High" setting does.

I'm still going with "Off" on motion enhancement. I experirmented with High and Low but was not satisfied at all with either. I used ESPN watching both football and basketball moving the settings around and found "Off" to be the best by far to me.

Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint all dialed in great and this TV responds very well to the individual steps setting each element and you are able to get it right on when adjusting these settings.

The only thing right now I need to adjust is my audio sync. Mine is off 3 milliseconds, this test was very interesting and really amazed me how it worked and accuracy it seems to show. I haven't had a chance to look into that one yet with my Denon receiver or if I can even adjust this.

I spent about 3 hours working on this yesterday really taking my time to get things right and at this point I am really blown away how good the picture looks!

I would really like to hear some feedback from others out there if they try these settings out.

I will post more when I work on the other modes.

Cheers,
Clutch
ClutchKargo is offline  
post #200 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post

Yes HDMI input from a BluRay

I am currently using these settings on my DishNet Set Top box VIP 722 DVR and the picture looks fantastic. My wife and I went back through the settings this morning and are satisfied and sticking with these right now for the "Movie" mode. I will go back later today and perform settings on Standard and User modes to see how they look.

The Disney WOW disc is extremely comprehensive and flexible. I have gone through the expert settings as well and this TV set on "Dot by Dot" was pegging the Overscan test! Amazing Clarity!

I have also elected to go with "Low" on the film mode. I am not a fan of SOE but I feel this "Low" setting really adds a touch of depth and enhances the picture which looks very nice, but doesn't look annoying like the "High" setting does.

I'm still going with "Off" on motion enhancement. I experirmented with High and Low but was not satisfied at all with either. I used ESPN watching both football and basketball moving the settings around and found "Off" to be the best by far to me.

Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint all dialed in great and this TV responds very well to the individual steps setting each element and you are able to get it right on when adjusting these settings.

The only thing right now I need to adjust is my audio sync. Mine is off 3 milliseconds, this test was very interesting and really amazed me how it worked and accuracy it seems to show. I haven't had a chance to look into that one yet with my Denon receiver or if I can even adjust this.

I spent about 3 hours working on this yesterday really taking my time to get things right and at this point I am really blown away how good the picture looks!

I would really like to hear some feedback from others out there if they try these settings out.

I will post more when I work on the other modes.

Cheers,
Clutch

Thanks, Clutch...good stuff! I did a quick compare this morning to my initial tweaks, and yours are actually relatively close to mine. I will try yours out completely later. I am unsure on Film Mode, as I hate the SOE, but have not tried "Low." I have always subscribed to the "plasma-purist" point-of-view that a "softer", more "film-like" look is preferred. Interesting that my girlfriend likes the SOE, as that "pops" the most to her.

I agree completely re Motion Enhancement being Off...I have no issues at all with this setting.

What is your room like, BTW? Sunny, dark, etc? Did you do your calibration in the day or night?
waltaz is offline  
post #201 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Newbie
 
ClutchKargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

What is your room like, BTW? Sunny, dark, etc? Did you do your calibration in the day or night?

My TV is in a family room in the downstairs of my house. It does have windows but the wall the TV is mounted on is back from the windows so the TV is in a fairly dim area in when the sun is coming in. So actually I would say on the dark side. Calibration was done in the afternooon and evening.
ClutchKargo is offline  
post #202 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Member
 
jwc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new Sharp LC-70LE632U was delivered on time this morning by hhgregg. I have spent some time with it going through the calibration steps in the Disney WOW Blu-ray and then watching a variety of sources. Overall I am very impressed with this TV.

Right out of the box in Standard mode the picture was pretty darn good. However, I did notice some motion artifacts around the edges of moving objects, so the first thing I did was turn off the motion "enhancement" modes. These really do make the picture worse, why do TVs even offer these "features?" I then spent some time with the Disney WOW calibration disc and came up with the following settings:

Mode: User
Brightness: +7
Contrast: +29
Sharpness: +2
Tint: -1
Color: 0
Backlight: 5
OPC, Motion enhancement, film mode, etc.: All Off

All other settings are still in their original position. Basically, I reached a point where I am happy and decided not to adjust anything else. The picture quality is really nice. When watching a good-quality Blu-ray, like Up or Avatar, the image is simply gorgeous.

The room in which this TV is placed receives a lot of indirect light during the day (I have huge floor-to-ceiling windows in most of the house), so I might need to adjust these settings a bit at night in a darkened room.

During calibration there are a few pure-white screens and I could see a little bit of dimming in the corners, but it is not really detectable during normal viewing.

A quick note on my setup. I have three HD sources: a Denon blu-ray player, an X-Box 360, and a Samsung cable box from Time Warner. All three are connected via HDMI cables to a Denon AVR-1912 which does all of the video switching and audio amplification for my 5.0 (no sub) B&W speakers. The Denon AVR connects to the TV with an HDMI cable. I think the Denon AVR does some video processing and upscaling because just about every HD channel I tested looked pretty good. (As reported by others, SD on any TV this large is really ugly.)

I haven't turned on the X-Box yet, but I look forward to driving a few laps in Forza 4 later tonight after the kids go to bed. My two young boys are going to FREAK when they get home and see this beast sitting in the family room!

I have noticed that during calibration with Disney WOW, some of the test bars are not visible on my TV, regardless of how I adjust the settings. For example, when adjusting brightness, there are supposed to be bars for blacker than black, but I cannot see them. When adjusting contrast there are supposed to be bars that are whiter than white (or something like that), but I cannot see them. I think the Denon AVR sees that these areas of the picture are beyond the recommended settings and makes automatic adjustments. Can anyone confirm that?

Just after ordering I was a little worried that 70-inches was going to be too big. My father has the 60-inch Sharp LC-60LE830U and he sits about 15 feet away. I sit 12 feet from the screen, however there was no cause for alarm -- it's the perfect size. And, by the way, I think this 70-inch 3-color TV has a better picture than his 60-inch with the extra yellow pixels. As many here have said before, I don't see a reason to pay extra for the Quattron models.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with this product. A 70-inch back-lit LED smart TV for less than $2k, including sales tax and delivery? That's pretty amazing!
jwc3 is offline  
post #203 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Member
 
kiser17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am struggling with the reflections on this big guy. I posted this on the main board looking for alternatives, but I thought I'd share my 632 experience here as well for others. My older & smaller Samsung LN-T4661F has a much better matte screen than the Sharp. I want the curtains open during the day, so this pretty much kills the Sharp as an option for me.

Here is the Sharp TV on the west wall, with the sun glaring through the south windows on the left. I purposely left the flash on to illustrate the difference in reflection.


I put the older Samsung as close to it as possible and left the flash on. It is not exactly and apples/apples comparison, but it illustrates the difference. While both TVs are advertised as matte screens, they sure do perform differently in my living room. I sure would like a bigger TV, but only if I can find a similar matte screen to my older Samsung. The search continues...


Man, the 70" TV is so much bigger...I wish I could live with the reflections but I just cannot. I can see the green of the grass on this angle.
kiser17 is offline  
post #204 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
waltaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiser17 View Post

I am struggling with the reflections on this big guy. I posted this on the main board looking for alternatives, but I thought I'd share my 632 experience here as well for others. My older & smaller Samsung LN-T4661F has a much better matte screen than the Sharp. I want the curtains open during the day, so this pretty much kills the Sharp as an option for me.

Here is the Sharp TV on the west wall, with the sun glaring through the south windows on the left. I purposely left the flash on to illustrate the difference in reflection.


I put the older Samsung as close to it as possible and left the flash on. It is not exactly and apples/apples comparison, but it illustrates the difference. While both TVs are advertised as matte screens, they sure do perform differently in my living room. I sure would like a bigger TV, but only if I can find a similar matte screen to my older Samsung. The search continues...


Man, the 70" TV is so much bigger...I wish I could live with the reflections but I just cannot. I can see the green of the grass on this angle.

That surprises me; in Costco, this panel was one of the LEAST reflective. I have it in a large great room in Arizona, with all windows on the west-facing wall (very bright and sunny), and the reflections are a non-issue. Maybe it's because I moved from a 58" plasam, which was mirror-like, so the matte finish is a huge difference. I've enjoyed the lack of reflections on mine, of either the windows, or lights at night...
waltaz is offline  
post #205 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Member
 
bishbosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I would check Monoprice, they have quality mounts.

I mounted one Using the "Tilt" part of the Sanus VMPL3-B

Granted it's not the cheapest of mounts - Around 120 on Amazon.
But it's a very heavy duty mount, very easy to put up. & spans 3 studs(16" centers)

If you use the low profile adaptors, be prepeard to fish cables into the sockets, it was fiddly enough using the tilt ones which add 1" to the distance from the wall.

Search my user id for some photos of the mount from the LC-70E732U forum.

It's the same VESA 400 mounting patern.
bishbosh70 is offline  
post #206 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
rbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

During calibration there are a few pure-white screens and I could see a little bit of dimming in the corners, but it is not really detectable during normal viewing.

I have noticed that during calibration with Disney WOW, some of the test bars are not visible on my TV, regardless of how I adjust the settings. For example, when adjusting brightness, there are supposed to be bars for blacker than black, but I cannot see them. When adjusting contrast there are supposed to be bars that are whiter than white (or something like that), but I cannot see them. I think the Denon AVR sees that these areas of the picture are beyond the recommended settings and makes automatic adjustments. Can anyone confirm that?

Just after ordering I was a little worried that 70-inches was going to be too big. My father has the 60-inch Sharp LC-60LE830U and he sits about 15 feet away. I sit 12 feet from the screen, however there was no cause for alarm -- it's the perfect size. And, by the way, I think this 70-inch 3-color TV has a better picture than his 60-inch with the extra yellow pixels. As many here have said before, I don't see a reason to pay extra for the Quattron models.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with this product. A 70-inch back-lit LED smart TV for less than $2k, including sales tax and delivery? That's pretty amazing!

Congrats! First of all, I also notice the dimming on all 4 corners. Very slight and not noticeable during viewing but only when a full white screen is showing. I think this is inherent for this model or is this normal for full array LED backlights?

Yes, this is a BEAST! My daughter was very surprised as well as the wife! I also thought it would be too big sitting 12 feet back but it was just wonderful. This will come into play when watching letterbox 2:35 formatted BR movies where the picture will shrink some.

For a sub $2k (1899 for me) set at 70"...this is the steal of the year for a Smart TV, wifi, and full array LED. As I say...."VIEWMONGOUS"!!!
rbanez is offline  
post #207 of 1488 Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
One more thing about low profile mounts...

If you are planning to put it above a fireplace and tilt it down, I would recommend against using low profile mounts. The set is so big that you only get about 5 to 10 degree tilt before the bottom of the set hits the wall.

If you need more tilt, you are going to need something that juts out from the wall more.
gameboy is offline  
post #208 of 1488 Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Newbie
 
madhatr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got this TV on BF to replace my 60" Vizio plasma. I am totally in love with this set. I did find it odd that the screws from my old plasma wall mount would not fit in the back of this TV as they were way to thick, but then again the plasma was a whopping 250lbs. With the default settings the SOE was a bit much and the sharpness really shows every possible flaw in most movies. If you put in a movie like 2012, the earthquake scenes do really immerse you and make you feel like you are really there, the scenes where they are driving now look painfully obvious that it is a RC car driving around a large model. My friends said it looked like we were watching a CG version of the movie, or a cut-scene of a game while watching live action video. Luckily most of that can be adjusted down while still leaving much of the crispness. Like many others I thought that my old 60" was a great sized TV until I got this one, now I can't live with anything less in size than 70". All of my video either comes from my HTPC, X-Box or PS3 so I can not comment on broadcast quality.

So far the only issue I can find is that the codes for the remote that came with it only list a handful of devices, and only shows 2 digit codes. I am trying to make the remote punch through the volume control to my Vizio sound bar which has 4 or 5 digit codes. Not a huge deal since I'm going to in time replace the TV remote, sound bar remote and HTPC remote with a universal one that can do them all and keep the wife happy.

If anyone has any suggestions for one of these remotes or a way to make the supplied TV remote work with the sound bar it would be much appreciated. I know I could get a Harmony remote, but that is a bit out of my price range being this time of the year. Would rather get something in the $30 range or free.
madhatr is offline  
post #209 of 1488 Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Member
 
jwc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have discovered an unusual problem. When I am using the TV's remote to navigate through the TV's menus and change the picture settings, etc., my Samsung cable box changes channels on its own -- usually to channel 0. I guess that some of Sharp's remote control IR patterns are the same as my cable box's remote patterns? Does anyone know a solution to this?
jwc3 is offline  
post #210 of 1488 Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Member
 
somno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatr View Post

If anyone has any suggestions for one of these remotes or a way to make the supplied TV remote work with the sound bar it would be much appreciated. I know I could get a Harmony remote, but that is a bit out of my price range being this time of the year. Would rather get something in the $30 range or free.

Don't waste your time with cheap remotes. Just get one of the less expensive Harmony remotes. You can find them new or refurbished for $30-50 and probably less on Ebay. I own 5 of them already and would not use any other since they are so easy to set up and use and when you lose or break one, you simply buy another and download your settings.
somno is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off