Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1488 Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got this setup today and love it no doubt. However, anyone seeing any dead pixels on their set? I fired up the PS3 and tested out Blu-Ray (The Dark Knight and The Tourist) and I was very pleased (more than pleased) with the display. I then decided to do a pixel test and changed the background color of the menu system on the PS3 to look for dead pixels. I took a close look at the screen four times and happened to notice three black pixels against a yellow, white and green back ground (I can only see it when I'm within 6 ft. of the screen). Disappointing, but I'll be sitting so far back I most likely won't notice it. Just wondering if any of you have seen anything similar. Was thinking about returning it for another. Anyone happen to know the dead pixel policy on Sharp TVs?

Edit: bought this at Sears for 2K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1488 Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM

So how can I get this to work with my 5Ghz wireless router? The signal strength is low so I want to switch from 2.4ghz to the 5Ghz version.

And for Vudu apps, there is no way to search for videos? Seems like all of the apps are lacking.
post #213 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyence View Post

anyone seeing any dead pixels on their set?

No dead pixels on mine. The Disney WOW Blu-ray has a pixel flipper sequence that they claim can sometimes "unstick" dead pixels. Might be worth a try.
post #214 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM

I tried to mount my tv but I am having serious stud issues, the wall behind the drywall shows 24" studs but when I drill I am hitting concrete and when I try to place lag bolts it started to push out the drywall, I got scared and stop. I am using a stand now and it looks nice but I am so disappointed.
post #215 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermac View Post

I tried to mount my tv but I am having serious stud issues, the wall behind the drywall shows 24" studs but when I drill I am hitting concrete and when I try to place lag bolts it started to push out the drywall, I got scared and stop. I am using a stand now and it looks nice but I am so disappointed.

If it's concrete you should be able to drill holes in the concrete with a concrete drill and place lead anchors in the concrete, lag bolts will work with lead anchors. If it's concrete block the anchors probably won't work but toggle bolts likely will. I would also consider adding a 1/2" plywood plate over the the drywall between the mount and the wall, attach with Liquid Nail, then drill thru the plate to the concrete/block. Sounds like a big deal to do but it's not.

Also sounds like running wires in your wall is going to be a big deal (maybe impossible) in which case you're looking at some nice channel material mounted on the wall.
post #216 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc3 View Post

No dead pixels on mine.

Not on mine, either...

Few other notes:
- I ordered the Disney WOW disc to try my hand at calibrating with it. I'll let you all know what I come up with.
- As I posted initially, I turned off Film Mode immediately, to get rid of the SOE, because it was very disconcerting. That said, just for the heck of it, turned it on Advanced Low last night and watched Ice Age 3 on some HD channel, and it looked astoundingly good. I mean, breathtaking...completely provides a 3-D look. I've watched some "live" stuff this morning, and I still don't care for it on that content. But for animation, I think it's the way to go.
- Watching Hell on Wheels this week (DVR'd last two episodes), I noticed some clouding on the initial dark scenes. It was mildly annoying. As soon as the scenes brightened up; gone. Still, not a big deal for me, and certainly not a deal breaker.
- I've got my Sammy 58" set up in the bedroom, and I still do prefer the look of the plasma over the relatively same/similar PQ of the LCD. Just has a certain "look" that I prefer, part of which is from the glass of the plasma vs. matte of the LDC. But...can't get it in 70" and at this price point!!!
- I really like the brightness and whites of the LCD, and I do appreciate the greatly reduced reflection off the matte screen.

All in all, loving the 70 inches, and loving the PQ on this panel! I have no regrets...
post #217 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 AM

I was soo close to getting this set...then they raised the price by $500 and I can't find it anywhere so now I'm leaning towards the Panny 65" Plasma. Sucks cause I wanted the LED and 70" but with the plasma I'll get the 3D. Hopefully there are no fluctuation issues. I will hold out just a bit longer and see if I can find the Sharp but I don't know how long I can wait...

Need. More. Bass.
post #218 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I too am a loyal Plasma owner. I have 3 Samsungs in my house. I heard about this TV on Black Friday so I went to Bestbuy to check it out. It was ok. In it's own defense it wasn't hooked to anything HD so I knew a better pq was to be had. There was a Samsung 8000 series (60" I believe) just down from the Sharp. That was hooked to a BRP with one of Samsungs demo discs. That TV was superb and delivered a stunning picture. But then I glanced back over to the 70" Sharp. The sharp was about $1,000 dollars cheaper and was considerably bigger. So after a long time of deliberating I figured I'd take a chance on the Sharp. They had to deliver it so I finally got it last night. Hooked it up and just watched HD TV without tweaking anything.

I liked the bright picture in a dark environment, but there was something about the TV I thought was odd. Turned it off and went to bed. This morning I got to watch a few different channels and a few minutes of movies on HBO and I figured it out. The picture was blotchy and jittery so to speak and kind of fake. I guess that's the soap opera effect? After awhile it made me sick that something could look this way.

So I came on here and found this user thread and turned some of the settings off that were suggested and that odd jittery like picture went away. Now I can actually watch it and now I want to hook up my PS3 and calibrate the pq. I sold my Oppo BDP with Spears and Munsil disc so I guess I'm going to go to the HIFI store and get a Disney WOW disc. I'm going to calibrate it with the PS3 hooked directly to the TV and not through my AVR. Doing so through your AVR will not calibrate it accurately UNLESS you are one of those people who keep your AVR on every time you watch TV

Will report my settings later. It seems that some peoples settings (color/tint) and pretty different. One would only think it's the lighting that's playing a role in this. So I think when listing your calibrated settings you should also let people know if it's in the Living room, Basement and what kind of lighting control you have and had used while calibrating.

For example when I list my settings I will also let it be known that my TV will be in my Living room with 2 windows and not much light control. Currently just have cheap white plastic blinds. Perhaps add the main users distance as well.

Now I hope most people who don't use a calibration disc know it will not be 100% ideal for their environment, but at least get them pretty darn close. If you spend decent money on a set why not $25-50 (avg price) for a Calibration disc?

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #219 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Can you find the wall mount that has the base longer than 24"?

Check out the bracket model 3401 MLB-14XL or 3900 MLB-14 Black from Monoprice. The base of 3401 MLB-14XL bracket is 42" x 18.75", and support 165lbs. I am not saying the best bracket but it can work on your 24" studs.

http://www.monoprice.com/bbs/files/W...by%20model.htm

Sharp LC70LE632U (11/25/11 BF $1719.26)
LG55LW5600 (09/30/11 $1255.00)
Sharp LC60LE832U (09/16/2011 $950.00)
Ãlevia 247TFHD (BF2007 $1350.00)
Ãlevia LT37HVS (09/21/05 $1350.00)
post #220 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Do a online chat with monoprice. They have 3 the recommend for the Sharp and one is for 24" studs

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #221 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Compared the panny plasma in person today and it just doesn't have the brightness that I want so I'm bak on the sharp. Now I just gotta find one at a good price.

Need. More. Bass.
post #222 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyence View Post

Just got this setup today and love it no doubt. However, anyone seeing any dead pixels on their set? I fired up the PS3 and tested out Blu-Ray (The Dark Knight and The Tourist) and I was very pleased (more than pleased) with the display. I then decided to do a pixel test and changed the background color of the menu system on the PS3 to look for dead pixels. I took a close look at the screen four times and happened to notice three black pixels against a yellow, white and green back ground (I can only see it when I'm within 6 ft. of the screen). Disappointing, but I'll be sitting so far back I most likely won't notice it. Just wondering if any of you have seen anything similar. Was thinking about returning it for another. Anyone happen to know the dead pixel policy on Sharp TVs?

Edit: bought this at Sears for 2K.

Had the same problem on my 732. Sharp's policy is that if it is a dead (black pixel) they will ship a new set to you. That's what they did for me, and I live in Hawaii. It was an easy and painless procedure.

I was sitting about 11 feet away, and I could easily see the pixel on a light screen. Drove me nuts.
post #223 of 1488 Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

Not on mine, either...

Few other notes:
- I ordered the Disney WOW disc to try my hand at calibrating with it. I'll let you all know what I come up with.
- As I posted initially, I turned off Film Mode immediately, to get rid of the SOE, because it was very disconcerting. That said, just for the heck of it, turned it on Advanced Low last night and watched Ice Age 3 on some HD channel, and it looked astoundingly good. I mean, breathtaking...completely provides a 3-D look. I've watched some "live" stuff this morning, and I still don't care for it on that content. But for animation, I think it's the way to go.
- Watching Hell on Wheels this week (DVR'd last two episodes), I noticed some clouding on the initial dark scenes. It was mildly annoying. As soon as the scenes brightened up; gone. Still, not a big deal for me, and certainly not a deal breaker.
- I've got my Sammy 58" set up in the bedroom, and I still do prefer the look of the plasma over the relatively same/similar PQ of the LCD. Just has a certain "look" that I prefer, part of which is from the glass of the plasma vs. matte of the LDC. But...can't get it in 70" and at this price point!!!
- I really like the brightness and whites of the LCD, and I do appreciate the greatly reduced reflection off the matte screen.

All in all, loving the 70 inches, and loving the PQ on this panel! I have no regrets...

I also have the Disney Wow bluray. The only problem/bummer with it, is you can only do main settings changes. You can't touch the Color Temp. settings or the Value/Hue/etc. advanced settings.
post #224 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

I also have the Disney Wow bluray. The only problem/bummer with it, is you can only do main settings changes. You can't touch the Color Temp. settings or the Value/Hue/etc. advanced settings.

damn really i was going to buy that disney disc to calibrate my sharp. will it make a differnce since i cant change those settings or should i pay bb to calibrate my tv i want to get the best pq out of this tv thanks.
post #225 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroso View Post

damn really i was going to buy that disney disc to calibrate my sharp. will it make a differnce since i cant change those settings or should i pay bb to calibrate my tv i want to get the best pq out of this tv thanks.

Please do a search of Best Buy calibrations on this site before you make your decision. They will only spend 90 minutes in your home which is not enough for a proper calibration. Hire an independent professional calibrator who will give both you and your tv the personal attention you deserve. A pro calibrator will spend as much time as necessary to bring out the best in your display. Good luck and enjoy your new tv.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #226 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Anyone able to see an almost diamond crosshatch pattern on the tv when displaying a bright color? I wonder if I am seeing the led array? Is It normal to be able to see it? Now that I am turned on to it it is very distracting...

Yes I see it and don't know if its a defect or just part of the technology. Now that I notice it it is very distracting. Have you figured out anything on this issue?
post #227 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Bought the 70" 632 at Sams Club a week or so ago and am supremely happy.

Thought I'd bring up a curios issue though.

When I mute the set, all is fine for the first 29 minutes when un-muting. The sound goes back to the original setting.

However, if I leave it muted for 30 or more minutes, when I un-mute, teh sound is at 0 and I have to "up" the sound button on the remote.

Anyone notice this?

--Tom
post #228 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atstarr View Post

Yes I see it and don't know if its a defect or just part of the technology. Now that I notice it it is very distracting. Have you figured out anything on this issue?

I have not - my guess us this pattern is the LED array? Anyone else see it?
post #229 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I have not - my guess us this pattern is the LED array? Anyone else see it?

Yes I'd really like to know if its a defect so I can exchange mine. It is hard to see but the best way is while the camera is panning on a light sky, or of course if you have a completely light colored screen. If not I think I can live with it but I am pretty anal so...
post #230 of 1488 Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Please do a search of Best Buy calibrations on this site before you make your decision. They will only spend 90 minutes in your home which is not enough for a proper calibration. Hire an independent professional calibrator who will give both you and your tv the personal attention you deserve. A pro calibrator will spend as much time as necessary to bring out the best in your display. Good luck and enjoy your new tv.

i did and your right about bb im not going to use them. btw how do you turn off flim mode i cant even access it i see it but cant even change it?
post #231 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I had my 632 delivered by Best Buy this morning, my jaw is on the floor, wow! I notice a slight rearward tilt of the screen, I'm guessing this is the way they come, yes?

Thank you.
post #232 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

I had my 632 delivered by Best Buy this morning, my jaw is on the floor, wow! I notice a slight rearward tilt of the screen, I'm guessing this is the way they come, yes?

Thank you.

Congrats! I also had my jaw planted on the floor once I mounted it and saw my first BR movie! Once you calibrate that set using the WOW disc, it will rival other more expensive LED sets. I'm not sure about the rearward tilt. I have it mounted and it seems straight vertical alignment when looking from the side. Is yours mounted or on the stand?
post #233 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

Color (AKA Chroma) and Hue (AKA Tint) can be adjusted in the Advanced Premium Calibration Section. That's why the blue color filter was included with the WOW disc. See page 23 of the WOW booklet for more info.
post #234 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

Congrats! I also had my jaw planted on the floor once I mounted it and saw my first BR movie! Once you calibrate that set using the WOW disc, it will rival other more expensive LED sets. I'm not sure about the rearward tilt. I have it mounted and it seems straight vertical alignment when looking from the side. Is yours mounted or on the stand?

It's on the original stand, the tilt is not much but noticeable.
post #235 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

For those of us that do not have the WOW disk, would you care to provide your config/settings values?

Thanks ever so much rbanez!.

--Tom
post #236 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

For those of us that do not have the WOW disk, would you care to provide your config/settings values?

--Tom

My WOW disc just shipped from Amazon...I'll let you all know what I come up with...
post #237 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

--Tom

Hey Tom. I calibrated my set 3 times using the WOW disc and came up with the following settings. Of course, depending on room lighting and preference, you may still need to tweak the settings below. I had a fairly dark room in my living room with some white LED ambient lighting behind the tv. I prefer OPC on and set it to -5 and +10 since I want it to darken/lighten automatically (a preference). I am using HDMI, direct to tv, with my Panasonic BR DMP-BD55 player.

Movie Mode
Backlight (most have +6)
Contrast +33
Brightness -1
Color +7
Tint +5
Sharpness +2
Color Temp - middle
Motion - Off
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma -2
Film Mode - Off
Dynamic Noise Reduction - Off

Depending on your preference, you can choose to have backlight set at all times (or use OPC) and also Film mode adjusted to your liking if you like the SOE effect (which I don't) and affects the true settings that the director intended in their movies. This is for BR movies. For regular HD cable settings, I used the Standard (although Sharp support recommends dynamic) and tweaked it. I called in to Sharp support and they logged in and tweaked my HD settings for regular Uverse viewing. It's cool how they can dial in and you can see them making the different settings on your screen live! Anyway, let me know if this helps some of you out. Good luck!
post #238 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 PM

First time poster here! Been lurking this site for a bit.

First off, thanks for all the GREAT info! Read through various threads and found lots of helpful info.

Anyway, I bought the 632 myself and it's a great TV! It's replacing my old 65" Mitusubishi DLP. When this little monster arrived I just placed it on the old TV stand, but I felt it was a little low. So I went out and got a different stand that allowed me to hang it. I was not able to take off the stand for the TV itself since one of the screws got threaded. So I'm using it to put my Kinect and Wii Sensor bar. Here's a pic of my setup (minus my new Sony Soundbar):

I had the blind opened on purpose pointing the openings directly at the TV. The glare isn't that bad when I watch TV with the blinds closed or angled away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atstarr View Post

Yes I'd really like to know if its a defect so I can exchange mine. It is hard to see but the best way is while the camera is panning on a light sky, or of course if you have a completely light colored screen. If not I think I can live with it but I am pretty anal so...

I think I have a similar problem. When the scene is bright (like you described) and it pans, it's almost like I'm looking through a windows that is not 100% clean.

I was going to try a massaging method I saw mentioned here, but I think that is only if there is clouding during dark scenes.
post #239 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

Now I hope most people who don't use a calibration disc know it will not be 100% ideal for their environment, but at least get them pretty darn close. If you spend decent money on a set why not $25-50 (avg price) for a Calibration disc?

Thanks
Judd

I used Digital Video Essentials and Disney WOW (borrowed from my brother) to calibrate, but still not happy with the PQ still won't get 100%, so I just fiddle around with the setting and adjust with my own eyes to get the best.
post #240 of 1488 Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstar1000 View Post

I think I have a similar problem. When the scene is bright (like you described) and it pans, it's almost like I'm looking through a windows that is not 100% clean.

I was going to try a massaging method I saw mentioned here, but I think that is only if there is clouding during dark scenes.

Well this is 3 of us. I went to the store today and looked at the floor model and it also had it.

Your description of looking through a dirty window is totally accurate. I tried massaging and didn't notice a difference.

Has anyone called Sharp and asked them about it?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page