Official Sony HX729 Owner's thread (KDL46HX729, KDL55HX729, KDL65HX729) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Second post, but could not find an owner's thread for this series.

Configs, anyone?

Will update w/ pics and review once received

Enjoy Full HD 1080p picture quality even in 3D, plus incredible motion clarity during fast-action sports, movies and games with the BRAVIA® HX729 Series LED HDTV. Built-in Wi-Fi® makes it easy to access the best selection of online movies, TV episodes, videos, music and more from the biggest names in entertainment—so you can watch what you want, when you want. Packed with features, this Full HD 1080p TV also features exclusive X-Reality™ PRO technology which improves the picture detail in everything you watch, from low-resolution web videos to your favorite Blu-ray Disc™ movies. Each pixel is analyzed and perfected for optimal color, contrast and sharpness.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 AM

just got mine..still adjusting settings but liking it alot..flashlighting on edges during high black seens is a little anoying especially coming from a plasma
post #3 of 20 Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM

is there any difference between the april and september tv. im asking because i have the april manufacture date on my tv. i just want to know if there were known issue with this manufacture date thanks.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 AM

my tv says manufacture October 2011 and i have no issues after calibrating the tv..originally i have some setting set to high causing flashlighing to be too pronounced
post #5 of 20 Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

heres a picture of my hx729 used one of the calibration from one of the topics here. i think i have some uniformity issues what do u guys think.
LL
post #6 of 20 Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM

hard to tell from the picture.. looks like the blue behind the guy is a little lighter, but that could also be the intent of the image.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM

SONY KDL-46HX729

Hi folks,

I am totally new to this forum and also new to SONY KDL-46HX729.This is my very first LCD LED tv i ever bought.Now i have a big hurdle of setting up the right picture settings .

I have below picture settings (got from this site only). My tv works fine with HD channels but for NON-HD channels the picture is not that satisfactory. I have below listed 3 main issue for which i am seeking help.

(1) The best setting to have good viewing experience.
For example if i watch SD channels the channel logo on tv screen seems similar to how the low mega pixel picture looks when its enlarged.

(2)The SD channels cannot be seen in full screen ,they have 6-6 inches off from both end of screen like black bars on both end of TV screen.How we can get that fixed.Any specific setting required for that?

(3)As sd channels are not full screen viewable and to make it full screen when i use FULL in WIDE mode the picture just streches and feels like people are DWARF.

Pls assist me with these issue.

I will really appreciate all yours help.

Thx.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: 75
Brightness 40
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise reduction: OFF
Dot Noise Reduction: OFF
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth gradation: Low
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion Auto 1

Now Under Advanced Settings>

Black Corrector: High
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light limiter Medium
Clear white: Low
Live Color: Low
(White balance leave alone)
Detail Enhancer High
Skin Naturalizer: OFF
Edge Enhancer OFF
post #8 of 20 Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 AM

is there any difference between the april and september tv. im asking because i have the april manufacture date on my tv. i just want to know if there were known issue with this manufacture date thanks or if newer better parts were used on the later dates. also mine is made in mexico how about you guys.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Mine says OCT 2011 and made in mexico too.

can you pls share your settings if you have all satisfactory results for SD channels.

I have few issues as metioned above in my post "Help needed for SONY KDL-46HX729 picture settings".

Do you have any of those or ever had?
post #10 of 20 Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM

Liked: 17
I have replaced my 2006 Sony SXRD KDL55A2000 with this television. We do not have cable service here so the content is all either DIRECTV or OTA HDTV. We do not have subscriptions to streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime. We have a Blu Ray DVD player that is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Our primary uses include live sports, DIRECTV premium movies, and news.

First impressions of this TV are very positive. The picture quality of this unit is the best right out of the box I have ever seen, and I have owned Sony's since 1989.

That said, our 729 was a Christmas eve delivery. Following a 2 hour 729 integration into our complex LAN and home theater configuration we are ready for some serious viewing. Some start-up tips would be appreciated.

1. Internet access. Unlike many HDTV smart tv's this one seems to have only Sony provided apps and widgets. Is there an internet browser to access user specified URL's as one can do with Google TV via a Chrome Browser?

2. HDMI versus Component Video: I have a mixture of component video and HDMI DVR's attached to the television and I cannot see any diff in the picture quality. Are there any advantages to tossing the component video switcher and directly connecting these devices via HDMI.

3. Reflective Screen. Day time TV requires almost complete blackout viewing. Even the smallest bit of ambient light makes this display look like a shiny iPad. Has anyone discovered a way to diffuse ambient light so as not to have to sit in a blacked out room to enjoy the TV?

4. Apps and Widgets. Am not familiar with many of the embedded apps. Is there a process to add apps from a Sony marketplace similar to the process smartphone users use via iTunes or Android's marketplace?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave
post #11 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM

This is an awesome TV, def. under rated!
post #12 of 20 Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM

I just got mine yesterday. Pretty awesome so far except that there seems to be a blur around objects that move fast. Did it with Thor and Lady and the Tramp.

Any ideas?
post #13 of 20 Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi4200 View Post

I just got mine yesterday. Pretty awesome so far except that there seems to be a blur around objects that move fast. Did it with Thor and Lady and the Tramp.

Any ideas?

- This set should handle motion very well. Try turning off reality creation and setting motion flow to clear or clear plus and cinemotion to auto 2.
Here is a thread on this set with a lot more information.
jjk

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=hx729
post #14 of 20 Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM

A first time for everything:
I just ordered our first lcd tv: KDL46HX729...
As soon as it arrives someone else will get this monstrous old
2002 Toshiba CRT (if they can lift it)...

Also for the first time we'll be setting up an htpc/avr/speakers...
post #15 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM

Congrats pgwisn!

I have the 55" model and they seem very hard to find now as Sony is clearing out all it's stock getting ready for the new lineup of TV's. The colors are fantastic on this TV and I actually find the 3D to be quite good. Have several 3D blurays that look fantastic on the TV (Tron Legacy, Transformers 3, HP7 1 & 2).
post #16 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM

I have this set and love it. I don't understand why there isn't more discussion about it here.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM

It arrived, and looks great!

don007live: did those settings work okay for you?
post #18 of 20 Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM

I now own a 729 and want to add a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D glasses.

1. I have been leaning toward a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu-ray player. Does anyone know of any compatibility problems or issues with that player? Also, since the 729 has a rich collection of internet connections, do I need to repeat them in a blu-ray player? My main interest is high video and audio quality, particularly in 2D but with the ability to play 3D. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Is the only workable option for 3D viewing the Sony glasses or are there others that work as well (or better?)? Since I haven't had a chance to view 3D, I am curious about reports I've heard that the Sony 3D produces a flickering effect. Has anyone experienced this or found a way of resolving it?

Thanks.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbestfriend View Post

I now own a 729 and want to add a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D glasses.

1. I have been leaning toward a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu-ray player. Does anyone know of any compatibility problems or issues with that player? Also, since the 729 has a rich collection of internet connections, do I need to repeat them in a blu-ray player? My main interest is high video and audio quality, particularly in 2D but with the ability to play 3D. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. Is the only workable option for 3D viewing the Sony glasses or are there others that work as well (or better?)? Since I haven't had a chance to view 3D, I am curious about reports I've heard that the Sony 3D produces a flickering effect. Has anyone experienced this or found a way of resolving it?

Thanks.

Re: Your #2 above, we have the Sony glasses and have experienced no flickering. I estimate we have watched 10-12 hours of 3D content since December 23 and so far I observe no performance issues. Our 3D content comes from DIRECTV. We have yet to watch a Blu Ray DVD on our shiny new Sony 3D BR player.

The only anomaly I notice is that you must view the 3D content with your eye line exactly parallel to the ground. If you tilt your head even a few degrees to either side you will see a subtle shift in coloration. It takes some getting used to, if you will excuse my dangling participle.

One minor complaint. The glasses are a little on the heavy side. After 10 or 15 minutes, they are uncomfortable on the bridge of my not so symmetrical nose. As a rule I do not wear glasses so any heavy eyewear is annoying to me, hence I take the glasses off frequently to rub the bridge of my nose. Like everything else, I am sure it I will get used to it in time.

I might add that we bought this television for the picture quality, not the 3D and not for internet access. Surprisingly, my wife liked the 3D, particularly for sports. She watched a few minutes of an NCAA basketball game and remarked that the 3D actually improved viewing significantly because the height diff on the players was very pronounced compared to 2D. This is particularly amusing to me because she is not a basketball fan but said she would actually watch a few games because of the 3D.

Hope this helps you in your quest for the right set of glasses.

Dave
post #20 of 20 Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM

New to the forum, I got this TV a few years ago on a boxing day sale at futureshope, came with two pairs of glasses, a Sony BDP-S580 3D BLU-RAY player and a Sony STR-KS470 HTIAB. All for around 2200ISH
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 55hx729 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi , Sony Kdl65hx729 240 Hz 65 Inch Class 64 5 Inch Diag Led Hx729 Series Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 46hx729 46 Led Hx729 Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page