Official Sharp 2011 LC-60LE6300U Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
here's a quick phone pic I took last night while watching The Corpse Bride on my HDDVD player, looked absolutely stunning, pic doesn't do it justice:

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine got delivered today. I hooked up the PS3 and played Uncharted 3 for an hour. The black levels are horrible compared to my last TV. I lost all detail in dark scenes. Tried to adjust the picture using the Wall-E Blu-Ray but couldn't get the black and white levels to differentiate.
post #63 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeden View Post

Mine got delivered today. I hooked up the PS3 and played Uncharted 3 for an hour. The black levels are horrible compared to my last TV. I lost all detail in dark scenes. Tried to adjust the picture using the Wall-E Blu-Ray but couldn't get the black and white levels to differentiate.

Hmmm my blacks are amazing, two questions:

- what was your last TV?
- what settings are you using?
post #64 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 PM

I found something interesting about the "grayed out" options. I have two items hooked up...my PC (HDMI), and an Antenna.
With HDMI 1 (my computer), I cannot view the software version (identify option is gray). After changing my input to antenna, most options (including identify) are then available...showing my software version 2.0
Fine Sync, and Color system are still grayed out on antenna.
--
One thing I've found, is that using the "active contrast" option, and the auto backlight both make colors too dark for me to stand. They may have their uses, but while I'm -getting used to the TV settings, I'll be leaving them both off...will continue to tinker.
--
I'm assuming that 'motion enhancement' enables the 120hz ...it doesn't seem to add fake frames or give me a soap opera effect like my other TV, but it also doesn't make scrolling text very smooth. Not sure what exactly the Film mode does yet.
post #65 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 PM

I emailed sharp about color adjustments to see if they might let me in the service menu and they basically said, "that's what you get with the low end model." I'm not sure how one is supposed to know that when its not listed on spec sheets. I find I can make any one type of show look good, but not with the same settings. I'm not looking forward to change inputs everytime I change the channel. I would have bought Dynex if I knew I was getting generic quality anyway.
post #66 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:

There should be a way to change the contrast settings and brightness in the game itself inst there?
post #67 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 PM

Best all around settings I could get were
Backlight 10 (or as needed)
Contrast 32
Bright 4
Color 2
Tint 0
Sharp 0
Color temp mid-low
post #68 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

Just recieved my TV today and after calibrating it I wanted to see how it handled blacks, and I was not very happy with the amount of light leakage and a bit of flashlighting in the corners. Does anybody else see this with their sets?
post #69 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM

* While the LCD is on, unplug the power cable.
* Then while pressing the {INPUT} & {VOL -} buttons, plug the power cable back into the outlet.
* When it powers up you will see a little "k" appear in brackets.
* Then on the TV, press and hold {VOL -} & {CH -} down and release.
* The Service Menu will be displayed.
* Use {CH+} {CH -} buttons to navigate
* Use {VOL+} {VOL -} buttons to adjust the value.
* Turn the set off to exit the Service Menu.

*BE CAREFUL*
Write down any settings...it does not look user friendly, and I'm not ready to start changing stuff around in it...if anybody makes sense of this, please share; we would all be curious.

All I've done so far is scroll through the 10 pages with the up / down arrows on the remote...I copied the above directions from another forum, but I did not go as far as to try the ch+/- or vol+/- to edit settings. I'd assume that's how it works since I got into the menu.

It would be nice if somebody had the service manual to explain if further calibration is possible through the service menu...one would THINK that technicians would have a way to bring up color bars on the screen for some type of master calibration, but perhaps that is just a "user" feature that cannot be enabled on this model...not sure it really needs it in my case; I've got the colors looking pretty decent now (not with the settings mentioned earlier).

Not sure if this should be pasted anywhere else (amazon) or if most people know of this thread now.
post #70 of 247 Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM

www dot avs forum dot com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=876895
sorry for the way I listed the URL, but I'm a new member and cannot post links until I have 3 posts.

Here is an interesting (but older) find on Sharp calibration through service menu. I'll look for something newer...but after reading this, I have no plans to make any changes.
post #71 of 247 Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceball View Post

Never mind, as usual, a little exploring does the trick, select the Dot by Dot View Mode by pressing the View Mode button on the remote. Whole screen is visible now.

Hi guys, newbie here ... I was also having the same problem of the over scan via DVI to HDMI from PC. I changed the view mode to dot by dot and that fixed the problem, but when I change back and forth between inputs e.g. HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 the over scan problem comes back, and I'd have to change the view mode again.

Is anyone else having that issue? and/or is there a way to save the setting for view mode dot by dot so it doesnt change when i'm switching between HDMI inputs?

Im running windows 7 on the PC, nvidia drivers are all up to date.

Thanks in advance ...
post #72 of 247 Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM

JoeBel- Is it at all possible for you to post a picture of your light leakage / backlitting while on a Black screen condition? I want to see what some other versions of the TV look like compared to mine (plan to post my pictures later tonight).

Thank you!
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBel View Post

Got my set yesterday and set it up last night. Here are some of my observations. Keep in mind I used to be a very OCD videophile and the littlest things bothered me. I have since gotten older and worried less about the little stuff.

What I have hooked up:
TivoHD (HDMI)
PS3 (HDMI)
360 (HDMI)
HDXA2 HDDVD player (HDMI switch)
Wii (component)
Sony HTIB (optical)

The GOOD:
- this thing is a HUGE, I love the size
- not as thin as the higher-end Samsungs but pretty thin IMO
- bezel size is nice
- nice matte screen isn't uber reflective like a plasma
- motion looked great after I tweaked a few settings
- picture IMO is VERY NICE, great contrast/clarity/color
- amazing value for the price I paid

The BAD:
- edge lighting splotches/flashlights/halos (this is something I was completely ready for and it's not a deal breaker for me). I have noticeable splotches/halos on the middle right-hand edge of the set. It's mostly noticeable when switching between inputs, or if the screen is very, very dark. Like when you're booting up a BD and the tv is synching with the correct resolution, etc. I still need to play around with the settings, calibrate, etc. Thankfully it is in the middle of the edge and not on top/bottom, as you cannot see it during 2:35:1 content, that might bug me more.
- settings out of the box are "meh" as everyone mentions, that OPC setting is a waste, hate it, off it goes
- 3 HDMI ports, (the standard is really 4) but I got an auto switch so no prob
- no real manual, just a quick guide?

Other than the flashlighting, there wasn't really anything else I didn't like about the set, again, I feel it's an amazing value for the price. Just over 3 years ago I paid double for my 52" Samsung A52650 & the picture on this set is def better than it.

The clouding/uneven backlighting/flashlighting/halos I feel is just something that is present on a lot of LCD/LED sets, I have been through 6 or more panels (Sony, Samsung, Sharp) over the years, and they all had it in some form or another. Some being extremely minimal and others being more prominent. If it's not extreme, I feel it's more a personal thing to let go of . I love reading reviews where people keep bringing the set back, getting this, getting that, and they have gone through like 10 sets & each with its own set of probs. I mean, do what makes you sleep better at night, but know that there is no "perfect" panel out there, each tech has its advantages and disadvantages. It boils down to what is "perfect/acceptable" for you & what you can live with for the amount you paid.

So in closing, paint me a happy camper with this beast!

So, that's my 2 cents, I'm still tinkering, will report back on anything. FYI I can't seem to get into my Firmware to see what mine is, will keep tinkering.

post #73 of 247 Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Hmmm my blacks are amazing, two questions:

- what was your last TV?
- what settings are you using?

Last TV was a Toshiba. Not the greatest flat panel but I could mostly see the details in dark scenes.

I ended up with these settings on the Sharp using the Game mode...
OPC: off
Backlight: STD
Contrast: 27
Brightness: 13
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 1
Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksthepro View Post

There should be a way to change the contrast settings and brightness in the game itself inst there?

The game only allows me adjust the brightness. Turning it all the way up leaves me with a washed out picture.
post #74 of 247 Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

I took a picture of my TV while in a dark room and looking at a black image (obviously worse-case condition for any backlight leakage problems, spot-lighting/orbs, etc..).

I tried to get the exposure to match what it looks like to the naked eye as well... so depending on your monitor, you may need to tip/tilt your viewpoint to see the structure of the backlight. Basically, I am hoping some of you can take a look in a dark room and let me know if I am crazy and seeing ghosts (ie.. the amount of backlight leakage is normal for an LED-LCD), or if this is a bit more than normal... I know I am a bit of a perfectionist and play in optics for a living, but I do not have a lot of visual experience with TVs in the class.

post #75 of 247 Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Mine looks very similar to that, but slightly better. Mine doesn't have any spots nearly as bright as that one on your bottom edge about 1/3 from the right side of your panel. I'm happy overall with it, I NEVER see it unless I am changing inputs.
post #76 of 247 Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrail View Post

JoeBel- Is it at all possible for you to post a picture of your light leakage / backlitting while on a Black screen condition? I want to see what some other versions of the TV look like compared to mine (plan to post my pictures later tonight).

Thank you!
Nick

Hey Nick, I will try to get a shot of it tonight. I'm looking at your pic and I'm not in a dark room right now but yours doesn't look bad. I'd say mine is a little worse and the areas it is are on the right-mid side of the frame. It's def noticeable when chaging inputs when the screen goes black or flipping through channels.

Hopefully you're not bothered much by yours, it's def minimal. I've seen some horrible panels. I'm still fine with mine, rarely notice it if all.
post #77 of 247 Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last TV was a Toshiba. Not the greatest flat panel but I could mostly see the details in dark scenes.

I ended up with these settings on the Sharp using the Game mode...
Contrast: 27
Brightness: 13
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 1
Color Temp: Middle
Active Contrast: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Low

The game only allows me adjust the brightness. Turning it all the way up leaves me with a washed out picture.

You're using game mode for normal viewing? I would think that would not be an optimal setting for all content. I use the "user" setting normally tweaked for HD content and my blacks and detail are very nice.
post #78 of 247 Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

You're using game mode for normal viewing? I would think that would not be an optimal setting for all content. I use the "user" setting normally tweaked for HD content and my blacks and detail are very nice.

I have a "user" setting for normal viewing but I use "game mode" for the PS3.
post #79 of 247 Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM

My set arrived today and the picure is really not bad. My problem is the digital audio out.

I have coax coming in from wall (no box ) going straight to T.V. The digital audio works to my receiver. The blueray and pc are both run to the t.v. thru HDMI. I have picture but no sound to the receiver. All three have sound to the speakers on the T.V. I called sharp and after trying a few things which did not work. He tells me that I have to use the pc audio to rca jacks to get it to work. also he states that hdmi has a pattan that HDMI and digtial audio cant run together.

any suggestions? T.V. is pretty much worthless without the receiver.
post #80 of 247 Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykw View Post

My set arrived today and the picure is really not bad. My problem is the digital audio out.

I have coax coming in from wall (no box ) going straight to T.V. The digital audio works to my receiver. The blueray and pc are both run to the t.v. thru HDMI. I have picture but no sound to the receiver. All three have sound to the speakers on the T.V. I called sharp and after trying a few things which did not work. He tells me that I have to use the pc audio to rca jacks to get it to work. also he states that hdmi has a pattan that HDMI and digtial audio cant run together.

any suggestions? T.V. is pretty much worthless without the receiver.

A lot of people are having this issue. It happens with many TVs from what I hear...I think it's something about the way certain HDMI signals are encrypted. I'd also be curious if there is a fix. I tend to run everything into my reciever, and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV. That way the reciever automatically knows what type of signal to decode from my HDMI sources (PC, xbox, ps3). I know this may not be ideal for most people. The only reason I'm okay with it is because I was 'TOLD' that my yamaha reciever does HDMI video pass-through with no processing (no latency) which is very important for online gaming. Just to clarify, you ARE getting audio out of the optical out via your TV signal (coax), but NOT HDMI? If you're not getting audio out from the optical out with your coax signal, I'd say the TV has a problem for sure.
*update*
I was able to get optical out when using an over the air antenna into the TV. I have not tried with an HDMI source yet.
post #81 of 247 Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 AM

Time to get this set up and check it out! Keep the info coming, guys. This set just seemed like waaaay too much TV for the money. I am not looking for perfection in a low end set, but the more that we can figure out how to optimize it, the better.
post #82 of 247 Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Hi y'all. I picked this up Tuesday after the Cyber Monday discount.
Thanks for the baseline settings.
To compliment it, I bought the Sony NSZ-GT1 for BD and net surfing.
post #83 of 247 Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM

I ordered this set on cyber Monday and am waiting for it to be shipped. I thought it couldn't be beat for the price. I'll give my impressions once I've got it in my home and hooked up.
post #84 of 247 Old 12-03-2011, 07:34 PM

I just ordered my wall mount. It should arrive sometime next week.

Has anyone wall mounted this TV yet?

I'm slightly concerned about how it will mount on the wall because the speakers at the bottom of the TV are far thicker than the rest of the TV.
post #85 of 247 Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 PM

I just got mine today and mounted it with a monoprice MLB-43 tilting kit.
The mount is good quality and costs about $15. The tilt is limited a bit by the fat bottom of the Sharp, but it is enough as long as you don't mount it too high on the wall. I did not use any spacers so I could keep it as close to the wall as possible. With spacers supplied in the mounting kit I think you would get the full downward tilt.
Also I think the picture is great, but I only use it for Blu-ray, DVD and HTPC playing DVD images through XBMC. I watch no TV or sports.
post #86 of 247 Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 AM

I've tweaked my settings and for now have the following:

Contrast: 28
Brightness: 10
Color -6
Tint 4
Sharpness 0
Color Temp: Low
Motion Enhancement: Off
Active Contrast: On
Digital Noise Reduction: Mid

With these settings the color looks pretty natural to me with not too much color saturation and red skin cast.
I view from about 11-12 ft.
post #87 of 247 Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM

I just watched Thor last night on Blu Ray and it looked absolutely amazing on this set. I had it paired with my mid 80s JVC stereo amplifier (still powerful even by todays standards). Coming from our 27" CRT tv I was amazed.
post #88 of 247 Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Picked this up on Cyber Monday and think the set looks amazing.

I'm having an issue though when I connect a laptop to it through HDMI: the image on the TV doesn't show the edges of my laptop screen. It's cropped on all sides by a small amount but large enough to make it unusable.

I'm passing it through a RX-A3000 Receiver. I'm a complete Newbie and am not sure where to start to fix this. I tried looking on the GPU settings on my laptop but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm guessing there's a simple solution here that I just don't know of.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks
post #89 of 247 Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH_Chi View Post

Picked this up on Cyber Monday and think the set looks amazing.

I'm having an issue though when I connect a laptop to it through HDMI: the image on the TV doesn't show the edges of my laptop screen. It's cropped on all sides by a small amount but large enough to make it unusable.

I'm passing it through a RX-A3000 Receiver. I'm a complete Newbie and am not sure where to start to fix this. I tried looking on the GPU settings on my laptop but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm guessing there's a simple solution here that I just don't know of.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks

Sorry guys it turns out it was my GPU settings after all. All set.
post #90 of 247 Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
When using a 1080p native source use 'Dot by Dot' (push the View Mode button on your remote).

* Also use Dot by Dot with 1080i sources, for other than 1080i/p sources use Full Screen.

** I believe this applies to all the current Sharp models.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc60le6300u 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page