Vizio 55" XVT553SV Power Cycle Off/On Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spoken to Vizio today and previously about a problem I have observed with a TV I bought last December. The VIZIO logo will flash from white to yellow for about 2 minutes while it resets itself. VIZIO customer service says this was designed into the TV to prevent overheating and to also resolve any Internet issues with the VIA Applications. I observed this phenomenon with my TV a couple of weeks after purchasing it last December 2010. I have a two year warranty with the TV and don't like the fact that it's frustrating to have this happen. In addition, it's embarrassing when you have some friends over and the TV wants to take a nap.

I told the service manager that I wanted in writing that the TV is performing to specifications as my TV will do this about once every week, but some people are observing this behavior on a more frequent basis as noted on the Costco feedback forum. He mentioned that he would email me a paragraph or two stating that the TV is performing as the engineers have designed.

He also mentioned that the frequency of the "resets" is too often for most customers and that VIZIO is expecting to release a firmware update to resolve this problem. I mentioned that should this firmware update not resolve my problem then I am going to ask for a comparable TV from VIZIO as I will not accept another of the same model as they have thousands of users that are complaining of the same problem.

If any other users of this TV are having the same problem, I would let VIZIO know so they can get a good picture as to the scope of the problem. Below is a video I found on YouTube showing the problem. The TV will do nothing but blink the logo on and off for 90 seconds to 2 minutes and then turn back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn5JIt8rHUg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Is your 2-year warranty a full replacement warranty? Vizio doesn't get a lot of love around here because of quality and support issues so it was a wise move on your part to get some sort of extended warranty. I'm assuming this is a Costco purchase because of the 2-year warranty period but I'm not familiar with the details of what your warranty covers.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Is your 2-year warranty a full replacement warranty? Vizio doesn't get a lot of love around here because of quality and support issues so it was a wise move on your part to get some sort of extended warranty. I'm assuming this is a Costco purchase because of the 2-year warranty period but I'm not familiar with the details of what your warranty covers.

Otto this is a Costco Warranty and I also paid with my American Express card, which should have added a 3rd year to the warranty period.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The only times mine has done that is when using the internet apps- usually when trying to exit one and start another one (like going from Vudu to Netflix), it will freeze up and then do that. Most of the time I use its 1st HDMI input which comes from my receiver, and only once it froze and reset while watching a DVD. My warranty is almost up and I'm debating whether to drop $275 for the 2-year extended warranty- it's a bit of money but I probably won't be able to afford another TV for a few more years. If it quit working I'd pay anything within reason (under $500) to have it fixed if I didn't have the warranty, but I've heard Vizio won't fix some sets for any price.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Yeah that's one of the biggest complaints that I've heard about Vizio's. They look great but once they start having issues, it can be very difficult to get them fixed. That's why some folks make sure that they have a full replacement cost on their extended warranties. Any mfr can have problem sets but there seems to be an overabundance of complaints about Vizio problems and their repair/replacement/support issues.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times. From what the original poster said, Vizio intends this to happen to prevent the TV from overheating. So at what point does this go from feature to malfunction?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Mine just updated it's firmware about a week ago. Anybody else?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrandon View Post

Mine just updated it's firmware about a week ago. Anybody else?

Mine says C7.0. and some other numbers. This is definitely different from my previous version. I don't know when the update occurred, but it must have been within the last three weeks. It would be nice to know what was changed from one version to the next.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM

You have a hardware problem. The firmware answer from Vizio/Costco is B.S. Get HD Repair out to fix your T.V. under warranty ASAP because eventually your unit will die (out of warranty) and you will be paying for the fix. Good luck.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM

This is what you can expect when you buy the cheap brands. I have a shop in Missouri and we don't even work on the cheap brands as there is nothing we can do to make the TVs last any longer than they last. Most unknown or new brand named TVs are what the industry can throw-aways. If they last 2 years you are very lucky. Most all consumers don't know this but the TVs made today are 4 hour continuios use rated. The old picture tube TVs where rated at 24 hour continuious use. SO, new doesn't mean better. I still have a 32 RCAu can before they get smart and stop buying their junk. from 1995 that works great. The pictures on the new sets are much better but not for very long. The Vizio XVT5535V has a deadly fault in the CPU and the only way to correct it is to replace the Main Board and make sure you install a heat sink on the CPU or it will fail in the same time. You can't tell me the the engineers didn't design it that way. Planed failure. The best customer is a repeat customer. This is the mantallity of the Asian manufacturers. Steal as much from the americas as you can before they smarten up. As long as you buy on price they got you. Will the american consumer ever smarten uo?????
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM

My XVT553SV is approximately 3 years old and has just started exhibiting this problem.

• The TV will turn on
  • everything is fine for about 10-15 seconds
  • then the video starts to freeze
  • the set no longer responds to the remote (though it will respond to the remote before the video locks up)
  • the audio continues for perhaps another 10 seconds or so
  • then it shuts off, and goes through a reboot cycle for about 1.5 - 2 minutes and starts the process all over

I contacted Vizio and was given the phone number for HD Repair (obviously out of warranty). Not real comfortable with that outfit. I get the impression that the repairs are based upon a value model rather than actual costs. By that I mean, they charge not by the effort or parts but what they think you will pay to get the set back in operation. For example, I was asked, "is this your only or primary set in your home?" "Guess you paid $1600 to $2000 for this when it was new". Basically fishing for how desperate I was to get a working set and reminding me how much I had invested in the Vizio. None of this was their business and completely irrelevant to getting it fixed. Also, they quoted a repair fee based upon the description I provided of the problem, saying that I would have to pay in advance (which would include parts and labor) before they even sent anyone out. When I asked for a breakout of the parts and labor, I was told they couldn't provide that until I paid for it...that's when an invoice would be produced.

My preference would be to repair rather than replace. These really are nice sets, IMHO. I am still pleased with the PQ and features of the XVT553SV and not sure what I would have to pay now to get equivalent quality and features now. Plus, don't want to go through the research effort again...I studied this one long before I bought it and feel that I rec'd excellent quality (though maybe not reliability).

Can I do this myself? I use to build PC's so can handle a screwdriver and replace out bad boards if I know which ones. How have other solved this?

Thanks! Mac
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio Xvt553sv 55 Inch Truled Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page