Official VIZIO M3D420SR/M3D460SR "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 186 Old 03-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going back to Costco when I can to see other options. I'll really consider it if I can find a nice alternative at Costco. If there's nothing better available I'll just keep it. Couldn't vizio fix the ghosting with an updated firmware? Seems to me this issue is similar when a computer graphics card has a bug/glitch. Nvidia/Ati release drivers to correct issues like that. Couldn't vizio do the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 186 Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM

LG 47LW5700 is $999 at costco...I might just do the exchange.
post #153 of 186 Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcool774 View Post

LG 47LW5700 is $999 at costco...I might just do the exchange.

In the AVS forum thread for this model, a number of owners have said they accessed the service menu to activate THX picture modes and local dimming.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #154 of 186 Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Does anyone happen to have their receipt from when they purchased their tv. I purchased my tv brand new on ebay and im trying to get the squaretrade warranty and they only allow a max 2 year warranty for ebay purchases. Now if i were to provide a receipt copy from a merchant they allow up to a 4 year warranty. I would greatly appreciate if anyone had a receipt copy from their purchased Vizio that i could borrow.

Also if someone were to lend me their receipt and their tv breaks down before mine ever does i would let them use the squaretrade warranty to get their tv repaired. Thanks.
post #155 of 186 Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Hello!
I found this forum yesterday when I was researching the high pitch humming that my 46" Vizio TV is making. As many have talked about my squealing was really bad and I had a couple days left on my 90 day warranty so I decided to take it back for a new TV of the same model. The new TV still makes the noise but is considerably less annoying and barely audible when the TV is up to 2-3 volume.

I was worried that even though the new TV had less noise that it would get worse as time progressed. It just so happens that I work for an engineering company that has Electrical Engineers on staff so I went back and asked what they thought could be the problem. He went straight to the Copper windings that are found on the power supply. We didn't have the exact model on hand but he was able to show me power supply versions that are similar that we make in house. He pointed out that if the copper is not wound tight enough that the windings will vibrate and cause the high pitch squealing we are hearing.

I was also told the reason the noise varies is that different a different brightness will require a different amount of power therefore changing the tone. That explains why when the screen goes black between channel changes the noise goes away.

I have not taken my TV apart yet but later if the need arises it was also suggested that a small amount of silicone could be placed on the coils to stop them from vibrating. The only concern their would be heat which I am unsure of. Also, if you need to pinpoint the noisy component on the board you could take a pencil eraser and lightly press on a component to see if the noise stops. If it does, that's the one that needs an amount of silicone.

I am not the electrical engineer myself but after talking to one I felt better that it should not get any worse and seems to be typical on cheap mass produced circuit boards.

I hope this helps
post #156 of 186 Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_xtr View Post

Hello!
I found this forum yesterday when I was researching the high pitch humming that my 46" Vizio TV is making. As many have talked about my squealing was really bad and I had a couple days left on my 90 day warranty so I decided to take it back for a new TV of the same model. The new TV still makes the noise but is considerably less annoying and barely audible when the TV is up to 2-3 volume.

Nice work!

Update to my last post:

I ended up returning the M3D460SR and picking up the E3D470VX. What pushed me over the edge was the glossy finish on M3D460SR; I simply had too much ambient light that I could not control. I was also able to recreate the ghosting issue even with game mode on. Note: by no means was the ghosting bad it was only with fast movements. For example, spinning the character around was able to show of the issue pretty well. Still, it is unacceptable. Also, while I probably could have calibrated it out, during a credit role in a movie the picture wasn't all that uniform. The edges where lighter/hotter.
I had both the E3D470VX and M3D460SR next to each other and ran them through their paces. It's hard to say if I was biased (due to my dislike of the M3D460SR), but I think the 3d is on the E3D470VX is on par and even better than the M3D460SR. Hands down the M3D460SR can produce deeper blacksbut the E3D470VX produces some pretty good blacks. I watched the CENET review about the 2d picture quality no being that great on the E3D470VX, but I think it looks ok. It's one of those things, what are you comparing the TV too? Toe to toe against the top of the line Samsung/LG/Sony I can see where this tv falters, but for an entry level 3D tv I think the E3D470VX nails it and is a better value than the M3D460SR. The one thing that I miss is the thinness of M3D460SR, it was pretty cool, the E3D470VX is more of a traditional ~3 thick, but at the end of the day is it really the size that matters or the overall experience ?
post #157 of 186 Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
UPDATE
MY M3D460SR got the YOUTUBE and SKYPE update earlier this week. I belive the Ghosting is SIGNIFICANTLY inmproved and the USB port now has a video option!!!!!!!
post #158 of 186 Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmyers View Post

UPDATE
MY M3D460SR got the YOUTUBE and SKYPE update earlier this week. I belive the Ghosting is SIGNIFICANTLY inmproved and the USB port now has a video option!!!!!!!

was the update automatically sent or did you download manually?
post #159 of 186 Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 View Post

was the update automatically sent or did you download manually?

turned on the tv one day and it said 'and update was applied'

you have to turn off the tv and be connected to wireless for it to download updates
post #160 of 186 Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM

anyone with m3d420sr get their youtube update??? i still haven't.
post #161 of 186 Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

I am unclear on how to display the side by side video. Since the Vizio doesn't have a functioning browser, I tried to watch the Masters in 3D through an older laptop. I was able to see the side by side panes but when I went to 3D and selected sidebyside the result with the glasses on, was not correct. Hooking up a newer laptop thru the hdmi/dvi port said that 3D was not supported on this connection. Thus far the only 3D thing I have seen is the 3D version of Motorsport Pacific Rim 3D on the Playstation 3 which is very cool. How about some more 3D sources?
post #162 of 186 Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triley51 View Post

I am unclear on how to display the side by side video. Since the Vizio doesn't have a functioning browser, I tried to watch the Masters in 3D through an older laptop. I was able to see the side by side panes but when I went to 3D and selected sidebyside the result with the glasses on, was not correct. Hooking up a newer laptop thru the hdmi/dvi port said that 3D was not supported on this connection. Thus far the only 3D thing I have seen is the 3D version of Motorsport Pacific Rim 3D on the Playstation 3 which is very cool. How about some more 3D sources?

Check the overscan options on your laptop. I had to go into the ati control panel and change the slider and it works!
post #163 of 186 Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Anyone get 3D to work from older laptops mine has an intel x3100
and can display 1920x1080 but i cannot get SBS 3D to work it is greyed out on the tv. Someone said it has to be in 1080p HD mode but i cant seem to figure out how to put the tv or the laptop in this mode. 3D works fine from Youtube app or PS3
post #164 of 186 Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM

Hello everyone,

My husband wants to buy me this TV on ebay, but after reading all the reviews I am pretty much scared on purchasing it.

I do not want to experience that humming that everyone mentions and I do not want to see ghosting in the images.

Has there been any changes or updates to improve these 2 matters?

Please any updates let me know.....

Thanks alot =)
post #165 of 186 Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by massy88 View Post

Hello everyone,
My husband wants to buy me this TV on ebay, but after reading all the reviews I am pretty much scared on purchasing it.
I do not want to experience that humming that everyone mentions and I do not want to see ghosting in the images.
Thanks alot =)

I bought it at Sam's then returned it due to the humming, ghosting, and high reflectivity of the panel. I then bought an LG47LW5600 from Amazon, which has been great so far. I have bought four other Vizio TVs in the past and this was the only one I had to return. I would still buy a Vizio again.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #166 of 186 Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 AM

My Vizio was purchased at Sams Club Nov. 2nd and there have been no humming or ghosting at any time..I did have a lip sync issue which I corrected by using a fiber optic cable for audio...the 3D works well also,the reflectively of the display can be a problem,but I am well plased with this T.V.
post #167 of 186 Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM

the m3d420sr was update to 2.36 this weekend. have youtube and skype. tv seems a bit slower to respond when turning on and its also chugging on certain menus, though operations makes more sense, example you can't change frame smoothing while in 3d (the the option was there before, it had no effect before the update)
post #168 of 186 Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 AM

My current version is 2.36.8 I have had the set for 6 months but I don't know if any updates have been installed since the purchase,one thing has not changed...I really enjoy this T.V.
post #169 of 186 Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM

I have had the M3D460SR for about 3 months...today while I was watching HD content on Comcast On Demand the TV just went blank with the Vizio emblem flashing repeatedly and the edge lit still on...then it just shut off. It would not turn back on with the remote or the side buttons...I unplugged the tv and it turned back on from the remote..right before that happened, my wireless router had just went down and I unplugged it, waited ten seconds and plugged it back in...that's when the tv went out..I have the tv hard wired from the ports from the wireless router..have any of you guys experienced the same thing? I searched and can't find ANYTHING about the Vizio emblem flashing during the "black screen of death"..thank you in advance for your help. I will call cust serv but I want to hear what you guys know before I waste my time there...and what's up with "just Answers" charging $58.00 dollars to help me? You guys seen that too?
post #170 of 186 Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM

I've been holding off posting, but I've had the tv for about 3 weeks. It is currently on 2.36.8, which was applied about a week ago. I had been trying to find what the update contained since I got the message that it was installed.

Other than the very reflective screen, I think the tv is great. I'm still tweaking the picture (thanks to all for posting some reference settings) but that's part of any new tv. The OTA reception is very strong. The WiFi seemed weak, but has improved (firmware update?).

The Hulu and Netflix apps work well. The Hulu interface is the same as other devices, but the Netflix interface is a a little less appealing than on a Roku or Apple TV, but still good.

I have only seen the blue ghosting once, early on. Maybe the new firmware fixed, maybe the suggested settings help.

As far as the 3D, until watching 'Nightmare Before Christmas', I thought the 3D was 'gimmicky'. Nice but not great. DirecTV's channels are good but no real 'pop'. Playing 'Nightmare' from my PS3 was actually awesome.

All in all, the price was great ($900) for a 46" 3d capable TV. The apps are a great plus. I am pleased with the purchase.
post #171 of 186 Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Well, I got a M3D550SR that was physically damaged. Bezel was cracked and damaged all around. Good news is the panel is not damaged and works, kinda.

When plugged in the TV automatically turns on and won't turn off. If you hit the power button on the side, it turns off but then comes right back on. Picture seems to be fine. Remote doesn't work either. WiFi works, Bluetooth doesn't appear to be. It tries, but won't connect to remote.

I swear when I first turned it on, it would turn off and stay off, but not now.

Any clues? I read somewhere that a fuse could be damaged on the main board, but that sounds weird.
post #172 of 186 Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Hello Everybody,

I got a Best Buy Geek Squad TV Calibration Today and here are the results, I personally love the image that I'm getting But my TV is the M3D421SR, which the only thing that changes is the response time. Well here are the results from the professional calibration:

• Advanced Settings
o Size & Position
• All set to “0”
o Color Temperature
• Red Gain “58”
• Green Gain “50”
• Blue Gain “39”
• Red Offset “50”
• Green Offset “50”
• Blue Offset “51”
o Advanced Picture
• Smooth Motion Effect “OFF”
• Real Cinema Mode “OFF”
• Noise Reduction “Low”
• MPEG NR “Low”
• Color Enhancement “Normal”
• Adaptive Luma “Medium”
• Film Mode “Auto”
• Smart Dimming “OFF”
• Ambient Light Sensor “OFF”
• Picture Mode “Custom”
o Backlight “37”
o Brightness “56”
o Contrast “43”
o Color “52”
o Tint “-1”
o Sharpness “5”

Well I hope this helps you guys and that your image is as good as mine, Good luck.
post #173 of 186 Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks, that's really close to my non professional settings I did by just watching some youtube vid on how to do it.
post #174 of 186 Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Great settings

Also CNET just reviewed Vizio M3D550KD which is identical to this model except its contrast ratio is 1:10mil rather than 1:5mil. It listed its calibration settings for the review they did. I interchange between the posted settings and cnet's settings. I prefer cnet's settings for movies/games with heavy night sections. The night seems more natural.

"TV software/firmware version tested: 2.36.8.T

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Vizio M3D0KD in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Vizio's Movie preset certainly provides the best picture quality prior to calibration, but when measuring it I immediately ran into an issue. The TV's backlight turned off at zero percent (black signal), which isn't unusual. What is unusual is that it didn't turn on again when my signal generator sent the TV signals brighter than that. Even when it sent a 5%, 10% and 15% signal, the backlight stayed off, so taking an accurate reading in Movie, let alone using it for calibration, was impossible with my current equipment.

I tried a couple of the alternate modes for calibration, namely Custom and Standard, but both showed markedly inferior black level performance to Movie. So I settled on a workaround for my calibration: I left the menu up. Vizio's on-screen menus don't time out and disappear after a short period of time like most do, and while a menu item was on-screen the backlight stayed engaged and I could get proper readings for calibration and measurement. It's not an ideal solution, since the menu can interfere by making the entire image brighter, for example, but in this case it was better than the alternatives.

Every reading (both pre and post) from the charts and Geek Box in my review, and those used to calibrate the TV, was taken with a menu item on-screen. That item was "Backlight" since picture adjustment sliders are the smallest, least intrusive items I could find and they don't impinge on the measurement area of my meter.

Once I got that figured out the Vizio was quick and easy to calibrate, and I got very good results overall. Its biggest issue was uneven gamma, and since there's no choice of gamma presets or 10-point grayscale there was little I could do to address it. Color accuracy and grayscale were excellent afterward for a TV with sparse controls."

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 43
Brightness: 43
Contrast: 50
Color: 55
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 6

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Custom
Red Gain: 45
Green Gain: 48
Blue gain: 50
Red offset: 49
Green offset: 48
Blue offset: 50

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Smooth
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Smart Dimming: On
Ambient Light sensor: Off
post #175 of 186 Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Hi Guys,

Like most of you, i bought My Vizio M3d421sr on Black Friday last year from Walmart and since then i had a problem with this TV which is maybe not a problem but it really annoys me. The problem is the distortion around fast moving objects mostly. It make a blurry squarish distortion around fast moving object like running people, sudden turns etc. After a while watching with this gives me headache. After i contacted a representative on chat support menu i did try lots of diagnostics with her like reseting tv 30 secs power button hold etc. then reset tv settings then reset picture settings etc etc. Then after no solution they asked me to capture a picture or a video to show the problem to them but even with video capture from TV by a camcorder s not clear. Its like your eyes can capture but obviously my camcorder cant catch it so clearly. The problem looks like TV can't catch the speed of blu-ray movie or opposite which does not make sense. I tried to turn off this smooth motion effect it kind of worked but as i turned it off i recognized that the motion is significantly slowing down like lagging picture motion. I think because of that this option there and my tv s that option not working or this serie of tv s are defective maybe. What should i do? Do i have to call a technician? because obviously i can't show them a proof of distortion by capturing it. Or is this normal with this TV? Which is kind of unacceptable if it is the nature of this TV because i tried same blu-ray movies on another cheaper TV but i didn't get any distortion like that. It seems like this topic is kind of old but please help me if any of you had any experience like that. My warranty due next Black Friday which is almost in a month. Thnaks in advance.
post #176 of 186 Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM

So I have the M3D421SR and finally got around to asking Vizio about the annoying as hell high-pitched squeal that comes from it. I own another 32 inch Vizio, an LG, and a Sony, among other TVs and none of them have this noise.

It's like a fly in your ear that cannot be swatted. It's really bad and hurts my ears.

Vizio sent out a tech who tried replacing the signal board, and the power supply which of course did not fix the high-pitched whine.

He said he thought it was the "LED Lamp" that was causing it, and that it was normal operation.

So I call Vizio after the tech leaves and ask if there is anything else they can do. They wouldn't help me; instead, they continued to insist that it was normal operation and came with the territory of this TV. Basically I was being told that they just don't make quality HDTV's.

I got a manager on the phone and pleaded with them to please help me out in some way and was refused. I told him -- knowing he probably would not care -- if they aren't going to help me fix this I will never be buying Vizio again, and the "manager" just said okay sir. But I had to tell someone that the image of their company is affected by these sort of problems.

Long story short... I really am done with Vizio; next time I won't skimp and I'll actually get a quality TV.

Oh, and codeihk, come to think of it I really have noticed that issue too. I try to ignore it like the squealing sound but it can be difficult. My experience with Vizio is that they just suck. Now we know why their sets are so cheap.
post #177 of 186 Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 PM

weird? i'm gonna check that out on mines and let you know. is it ghosting or picture pixeling during fast movements? also in 3d or 2d?
post #178 of 186 Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac4eva1082 View Post

Love the picture of my new M3d420SR, but it's got a moderate humming noise coming from the back. I'm going to call Vizio tech support, but has anyone else had this happen to your set?

none hear either mines is on almost 18 hrs a day and i do alot of pc gaming at max settings. i guess i'm one of the luck ones
post #179 of 186 Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmyers View Post

turned on the tv one day and it said 'and update was applied'

you have to turn off the tv and be connected to wireless for it to download updates

really!! only wifi for it to update. i'm hardline and only scene the update thing one time since i got this tv. no wonder thanks will try it wifi then
post #180 of 186 Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 PM

has anyone's remote gone dead. mines just stopped working one day. picked up a harmony 1000 got it to work but not full functions.can't make it learn either, cuz original remote is bluetooth.
any ideas on how to get full function for the harmony or why the remote's dead?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M3d460sr 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Tv Black , Vizio M3d420sr 42 Inch 1080p 3d Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page