Official VIZIO M3D420SR/M3D460SR "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 186 Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just took advantage of Black Friday sales to purchase the M3D420SR. I am very happy with the picture quality and the 3D experience so far, but I thought to start an official forum to exchange opinions/ideas/settings and answer any questions from potential buyers.

My setup is not a super conventional one, although not that unusual anymore. The TV is actually a monitor to a Windows Media Center box and I have a relatively older Pioneer VSX918 receiver, which is not a "3D ready" box by any stretch of imagination.

I had several issues related to the fact that I was using the DVI out instead of HDMI from my graphic card, but that is something I won't discuss here since only a few could be interested, although I will answer any question.

I downloaded a sample Side By Side video clip and played on the TV and it looks amazing! I actually jumped when an octopus stretched a tentacle that I thought was about to touch me.

Anyhow, I will post more as I use the TV, but so far, nothing bad to report and I have been mainly using the default setting!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 AM

I too just purchased my M3D420SR Vizio to get a big screen experience in my bedroom.

Bought mine at Sams Club over the Thanksgiving weekend. Works great with a MoxiMate that links to the Moxi DVR in another room. Wife loves the Netflix connectability.

So far I've had no issues at all. None other than convincing my wife that it isn't as complex to use as it first appears! lol

I had not been looking for a 3D television - so this came as a bonus. Have not ventured into the 3D media yet.
post #3 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hawk, I am glad at least the two of us are happy with it!!!
After watching a few movies, I have to say that the factory default settings are not going to cut it for me. I find the picture a bit too dark and the contrast way too high. I am hoping that somebody with a professional setup could give us better settings soon!

Alex
post #4 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Guys, what would greatly be appreciated is if you could post some photos of the TV. I have yet to find any pics online of this TV that were not the press pics or digital mock-ups. I'd like to see this TV as it is in it's natural habitat (lol).

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I will take a few shots tonight and post them!
post #6 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM

I also took advantage of the black friday special and bought this TV. So far I'm impressed with it. It has amazing picture quality, and the internet apps are great. I have an amazon prime account and video streaming in this tv is great, and it delivers full HD even through my wifi network. I have it set up with a sony 3D bluray player and a ps3 as well as my cable box, all wired with high speed HDMI cable. The 3D picture is also great, just like in the movie theater and it delivers full 1080p in 3D to both eyes. gaming in 3d is also great and cool. i'm still messing with it to calibrate it to my liking, and I would highly appreciate any help with this so I can get the best color and picture quality possible. Here are some pictures of the TV.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Here are some more pictures of the TV, sorry for the quality but they were taken with an iPhone.
LL
LL
post #8 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM

I've also got the M3D420SR (purchased on Black Friday at Walmart).
I like the picture and I am satisfied with the TV on the whole, but if I'm allowed to be picky, I've got a few issues with it (listed in order of highest level of annoyance to me).

1) Glare is a major issue with this TV. I have a large window to the side of the TV and the glare makes it almost unviewable (from certain seating positions) as indirect sunlight comes through the window. Lights in adjacent rooms are also quite noticeable/annoying, especially when the picture shows a black/dark background. The TV is in the same place as my previous LCD flat panel TV, and it was never an issue with the previous TV. This TV is almost like a mirror.

2) Light leakage at the right/left edge of the TV. Especially noticeable during credits of movies when the background is black and the text is bright white.

3) Remote control is not ergonomically correct. Awkward feel in the hand and button placement could be better. This is a minor annoyance since I've already bought a universal remote for this TV and packed the original remote away. Go to Amazon and read some of the reviews on this remote (model number VUR10). Many people are complaining that the remote dies after only a few months of use. I like to keep my original remotes in tact for universal remote learning in future.

4) This may be just paranoia, but after buying the TV, I've been reading lots of complaints about Vizio's and the "pop of death." One reviewer on Amazon states that his TV was DOA and he's stuck because he bought the extended warranty, and now it is no longer valid because he has already returned it because of a dead TV. I did not purchase an extended warranty and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I typically think extended warranties are a waste of money, but I am also concerned about the lifespan of this TV, even though I know that regardless of cost, all brands have their issues, not just Vizio.

Based on my feedback, I realize it sounds like I really don't like this TV, but I actually do. I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I love the fact that the speakers are in the front and facing the viewer (duh, why are so many manufacturers putting speakers at the back of the TV?). I've got my TV in a cabinet, so rearward facing speakers just won't work for me, and I'm not interested in adding a soundbar.

Getting back on topic...I've also been looking for good calibration settings. The default settings make the faces of newscasters, etc. seem a little washed out to me. I've played with the custom settings briefly and I'll post my changes. These values are by no means scientific, as I didn't use a calibration disc. I'm hoping that someone will calibrate with a disc and post their settings here. I'm still not totally satisfied with the video settings changes I've made so far, but here goes...

My "Custom" settings are:
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 39
Color: 44
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 15

Not sure if it matters, but...
Color temperature: Cool
Most other advanced settings are default, but I turned off the Smooth Motion Effect, Smart Dimming, and Ambient Light Sensor.
post #9 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Is this a newly released model for Visio? I had not realized that. It just seemed to me a great bargain at $588 over the weekend. Combined with $30 of coupons I had for Sam's Club I was only out-of-pocket $558 plus tax.

Will try to take a pic of it where it sits. Seriously, what about it do you need a picture of? It looks pretty much just like every other Visio Razor LED LCD HDTV I've seen. It is relatively thin (1.2 inches not counting the stand). The specs are readily available via Google.

I wonder if everyone's came in a red/black box with a picture of Jeff Gordon and his race car on the side? Maybe this was this some sort of special promotion by NASCAR?

Mine continues to work splendidly. No issues. And my wife has gotten comfortable with it and can readily change sources between the Moxi and an old ReplayTV that she still likes to use. The ReplayTV is of course not HD and the picture is not up to my taste. But she still likes the user friendly interface of the old ReplayTV.

When tuned to the Moxi (1080p) it is as sharp of an image as I have seen.
post #10 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
also bought the Vizio wally deal ...nascar pack M3D421SR (newer model)
Jeff Gordon box...should have been Tony Stewart!!!
is it the same as the M3D420SR? manual states 120HZ refresh rate vs Box
label 240HZ SPS (scenes per second)..what's the diff?
anyway it was a great 3d tv at this price! bluetooth and apps !
post #11 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM

The pics would show exactly how the TV looks. I ordered one but it hasn't been delivered yet, so I'm wondering about stuff like what someone complained about. For example, is the screen reflective or matte? I currently have the sv370xvt and the screen is matte which I like as I have several windows in the room the TV will be in.

Thanks for the pics posted and those to come
post #12 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Look at the picture taken by enrique_mme. Bedside the flash of the camera, you can see the window in the background. I think this is a good demonstration of how reflective the TV is. I realize that the TV is probably set this way to be able to use the 3D, but the screen is rather glossy. To me, this is by far the biggest issue with this TV.
post #13 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a few pictures from my TV. I turned off the flash in a few, but when the flash was on, I intentionally shot from right in front of the TV so that you would get a feeling of how reflective the screen is. Keep in mind that I took the shots from about 6 feet away.

1. Just a shot of the media center window. You can appreciate how clear is the writing
2 & 3. Since somebody mentioned about the cloudy effect when watching the final titles, I took those two pictures with and without flash. Overall, I think I am very pleased with the result
4 & 5. I couldn't resist from taking a side-by-side and corresponding 3D picture although I know it is not going to look good. Try to put on the 3D glasses!!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #14 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I took these last two pictures at less than 10 inches from the screen. The first is with flash, the second is without. The movie was 1080p. You can start distinguishing the pixels, but I was darn close to it!
LL
LL
post #15 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Hey guys! I'm also an new owner of this tv. I love everything about except the picture settings. On the box it said "blur free" but I'm still getting blurred motion. I think it might be my picture settings. Like the previous person wrote, does anyone have a pro calibration for this tv?? Thanks guys.
post #16 of 186 Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 PM

From the pics you took the reflections don't seem too bad. I looked back at some pics i took of my old sv370xvt and the reflections are about the same and that display was matted to an extent. The reflection is no where near as bad as the mirror like finish found on many samsung tv's.

Can't wait to get mine so I can contribute more to the discussion especially re picture settings
post #17 of 186 Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 AM

I'm now beginning to wonder if I've got my backlighting setting too high, thus the light leakage from the edges of the TV during credits with dark background. Yours looks fine, so either it is a variation in production or my settings are not right.

Again, hopefully someone will get a professional calibration done and share the settings with the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1434a View Post

Here are a few pictures from my TV. I turned off the flash in a few, but when the flash was on, I intentionally shot from right in front of the TV so that you would get a feeling of how reflective the screen is. Keep in mind that I took the shots from about 6 feet away.

1. Just a shot of the media center window. You can appreciate how clear is the writing
2 & 3. Since somebody mentioned about the cloudy effect when watching the final titles, I took those two pictures with and without flash. Overall, I think I am very pleased with the result
4 & 5. I couldn't resist from taking a side-by-side and corresponding 3D picture although I know it is not going to look good. Try to put on the 3D glasses!!!

post #18 of 186 Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Love the picture of my new M3d420SR, but it's got a moderate humming noise coming from the back. I'm going to call Vizio tech support, but has anyone else had this happen to your set?
post #19 of 186 Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 AM

I haven't noticed any humming coming from my set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac4eva1082 View Post

Love the picture of my new M3d420SR, but it's got a moderate humming noise coming from the back. I'm going to call Vizio tech support, but has anyone else had this happen to your set?

post #20 of 186 Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No humming here either.
post #21 of 186 Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM

Wow. You are right about the hum. I never noticed it before, but because of your post, I muted my TV and got as close as I could. I hear a faint, high-pitched squeal. It is not noticeable (even if muted) from any seating position in the room, but with the ear right next to the top/back of the TV, you can hear it.
post #22 of 186 Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 PM

It's a strange thing. The picture is nice (although not a HUGE step from my old HD 37" Vizio from last year - which by the way has the nicest looking picture per price I've ever seen)

The humming is present, but mostly covered by moderate volume. I can still hear it, however, and I'm not satisfied to let that continue. I called vizio, and they are sending out a tech this week. Great tech support by the way. USA based operators, knowledgeable, and very eager to make it right.
post #23 of 186 Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Hey guys just found this site from Google. I also bought the TV at Walmart back on Black Friday (Jeff Gordon box and all), but just got around to setting it up. And the humming noise is driving me CRAZY, my ears must be sensitive to high frequency sounds. Please let me know what the tech that visits you says, I will be calling customer service this week and hopefully they can come fix it soon.

Quote:

It's a strange thing. The picture is nice (although not a HUGE step from my old HD 37" Vizio from last year - which by the way has the nicest looking picture per price I've ever seen)

The humming is present, but mostly covered by moderate volume. I can still hear it, however, and I'm not satisfied to let that continue. I called vizio, and they are sending out a tech this week. Great tech support by the way. USA based operators, knowledgeable, and very eager to make it right.

post #24 of 186 Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM

I also bought this tv at Walmart black Friday. Took it home plugged it in and first thing I noticed was humming(ringing noise). Called vizio and they set me up with hd repair. Should have a tech come to me by end of week. Gave them a call they said they are waiting for parts from vizio. I'm sure vizio by now is aware of it but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever the tech does works because the tv is great, but if not I will return it. If anyone else get any info please let's us all know
post #25 of 186 Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM

So i called their tech support today, very friendly, but unable to troubleshoot the buzzing/humming noise. Had to upload photos of the TV and my receipt from Walmart, I am now waiting for confirmation of my uploads for them to schedule a repair or replacement.
post #26 of 186 Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Frankly, I need to put my ear on the TV to hear a light buzz. I am sitting 10ft away and can't hear a thing. Then I thought that I turned off the TV speaker (I have a receiver for the sound) from the setting menu. Did you try to do that and see if that is the cause of the buzz?
post #27 of 186 Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 AM

No receiver just using tv speakers, still buzzing
post #28 of 186 Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeblazin1215 View Post

No receiver just using tv speakers, still buzzing

can you try to turn off the speaker from the tv setting and see if the buzzing goes away?
post #29 of 186 Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Tried that too. Still buzzing. Tried everything. Tech will be here 11am Thursday. I'll keep people posted
post #30 of 186 Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Please let us know what you find out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeblazin1215 View Post

Tried that too. Still buzzing. Tried everything. Tech will be here 11am Thursday. I'll keep people posted

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M3d460sr 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Tv Black , Vizio M3d420sr 42 Inch 1080p 3d Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page